Curl Chemist Article:Temps matter too along with Dew Points!!!!

You're a lucky one Nallia just like RCC KCCC works year round and in any climate for you. Not many of us are as fortunate! My Summer & Winter routine are like Night & Day! Even my stylist noticed how my hair is affected by the weather. They've seen how differently my hair behaves depending on the Season using the same products & techniques.
Originally Posted by DEL2C
Heh. I don't know that I'm all that lucky. My hair is fine and porous, but its texture is different than every other person I've seen on here with fine, porous hair, as it looks far more coarse than it is. My hair is very kinky without any product in it and never looks as smooth as most even with product. I have no idea how to explain it right because I haven't seen any other to compare it to. My hair kinks almost as much as 4a hair, but the curl pattern is much looser (I've come to the conclusion that my hair fits none of the curl patterns lol).

I probably could stand to change my products through seasons and climates, but I've gotten too tired of fighting my hair to bother. The natural kink of my hair looks like frizz even when it isn't and I've had to lower my standards a bit for my own sanity.
"...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

angel29ish, where on earth do you live?? Your temperature is horrifying! Yet your dews and your humidity are in a pretty decent range for hair. What is your hair doing (other than fighting off icicles)?
Originally Posted by jillipoo
I agree, these Canadian Prairie temps are not fit for man nor beast! This is my first winter after going CG so, I'm not sure what to expect. Normally, my winter routine is to bump up the moisture and hope for the best. It does tend to dry in the extreme cold. I'm in a battle with frizz right now so any suggestions are welcome! BTW Jillipoo, I really enjoy your blog. Great information! Lovely hair too!
3B, fine, low/normal porosity
CG - July 2009
CO/RO/Trt.-Suave, BCB, Tigi OH & MM, EO, CJRehab, SG, DF & CF, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Darcy's, K-Pak, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin, JCWDT, CurlQ
LI-GDLI, Abba PGC, CJRehab, CF,SG & BCLI, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin
Styler-FSG, Re:coil, CJCCCC lite & CIAB, Komaza CCP & CS, DB, BRHG, Joiwhip/gel, Ecostyler, Boots, SS, Gel-les'c, DMMCG, KCSS
Too many others to list!

Last edited by angel29ish; 12-13-2009 at 10:18 AM.
So right now the temperature is 74, the dew point is 73 and the humidity is 96%! Ahhhhhh what do I do??? My porous hair is all over the place. I'm trying to remember what Tiffany's book says. I got a virus and lost everything on my computer. I think hard hold gel is in order?? Any suggestions?

TIA!
D
Originally Posted by dominicana
With a 73 degree dew point, you need the big guns. Since you are porous, you might want to look into oil sealing. It helps me a lot in high dew point conditions. I also use a hard hold gel with those kind of dew points, preferably one with PVP and/or PVA high up on the list.
Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
Goobernut, have you tried anti-humectants? Curl Chemist lists a few of them here:
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlre...-the-dew-point

Also, Goobernut, when you say that your hair was smooth and almost squeaky when you first started CG, that actually means it was stripped of most of its oils! Curly hair *should* feel a bit bumpy -- that's how it grows.
Originally Posted by jillipoo
Yes! I've seen that article before! It was mildly frustrating to me though, because beeswax is just too much for my fine/thin hair. Its just unpleasant. So I was looking at the other ingredients, and most of the time, they are combo'd with the beeswax, so those are a no go. Though I did have some moderate success with a detangler that contains lanolin -- weird I know, but it was a spray, so I think that I got enough of the lanolin in to seal out the humidity and not too much to make it greasy or weigh it down. My skin loves lanolin (I know some people don't have luck with it), so I figured I'd try it out on my hair. I've read that lanolin works as a barrier to prevent moisture-movement (either in or out). I've also had great luck with the hydrogenated castor oil.

And lemme clarify what I meant about my hair being squeaky. I didn't mean it was squeaky clean. And not truly squeaky, just slick. I mean, I guess it could have been stripped of all its natural oils, but I'm really one of those rare people with oily scalp. But then, that would mean if I had stripped it of its natural oils (pre-cg), and its more moisturized now, and I'm having the frizz and lack of definition problem now.... then being more moisturized doesn't help? In fact, I would then reason that its made the condition of my hair worse?

Yes, curly hair is supposed to feel a little bumpy, but not like the inside of corrugated cardboard/gravel road right? Or at least not for someone who is only wavy heheh right? I mean if you had handed me one of my own hairs I would say that it was from a 3c or 4a type hair. YKWIM?
Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.

Holy Crap - where are you??? I would suggest a humectant and emollient, hard hold gel. And even then I would bring a pony tail holder and a hat!
Originally Posted by rudeechick
Yup, I'm in Florida! LOL at the ponytail holder. Its so hot I have to eventually put it all up.

So I took out the big guns!! I S&C with aloe juice, scrunched in some Lustrasilk shea and mango DT under the dryer for 30 mins. Add water, detangle. Rinsed with some Bronner's cirtus rinse. Then added some Aloeba conditioner as a leave in. That has hydrolyzed oat flour, but it didn't make me imediately stiff and straw. Brushed in some KCCC with the denman and then did the super soak. Finally I scrunched in some got2b spiking Gel and plopped. My hair is doing much, much better. I can tell where I didn't get enough coverage from the gel, but even those sections are not as frizzy as yesterday. Its also not very crunchy which is nice!

I think I will repeat this minus the Aloeba condish.

Jillipoo
I have also tried some of the anti-humectants but most of them suffocate my hair. Which means more frizz!

Del
I have some CK I purchased during my BlackFriday binge. I will definately try it!

RCC
I have some sweet almond oil, but I keep forgetting to use it! Do you use it after the KCKT or after all the gel?

Thanks so much ladies for all the suggestions!

D
Lady Valeria of the Isle of Neraida in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Central Florida Curly
CG since May 5, 2009
Hair Type: 3cCiii coarse\porous
Conditioners: Bioinfusion HCB, CJCR, SpiralSolutions DDMT, BellaCurl MC, BellaCurl LE, KCKT, YesToCucumbers
Stylers: CJ CCCC, FSG, KCCC, SpiralSolutions CEJ

Last edited by dominicana; 12-13-2009 at 03:01 PM. Reason: typos
Goobernut, have you tried anti-humectants? Curl Chemist lists a few of them here:
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlre...-the-dew-point

Also, Goobernut, when you say that your hair was smooth and almost squeaky when you first started CG, that actually means it was stripped of most of its oils! Curly hair *should* feel a bit bumpy -- that's how it grows.
Originally Posted by jillipoo
Yes! I've seen that article before! It was mildly frustrating to me though, because beeswax is just too much for my fine/thin hair. Its just unpleasant. So I was looking at the other ingredients, and most of the time, they are combo'd with the beeswax, so those are a no go. Though I did have some moderate success with a detangler that contains lanolin -- weird I know, but it was a spray, so I think that I got enough of the lanolin in to seal out the humidity and not too much to make it greasy or weigh it down. My skin loves lanolin (I know some people don't have luck with it), so I figured I'd try it out on my hair. I've read that lanolin works as a barrier to prevent moisture-movement (either in or out). I've also had great luck with the hydrogenated castor oil.

And lemme clarify what I meant about my hair being squeaky. I didn't mean it was squeaky clean. And not truly squeaky, just slick. I mean, I guess it could have been stripped of all its natural oils, but I'm really one of those rare people with oily scalp. But then, that would mean if I had stripped it of its natural oils (pre-cg), and its more moisturized now, and I'm having the frizz and lack of definition problem now.... then being more moisturized doesn't help? In fact, I would then reason that its made the condition of my hair worse?

Yes, curly hair is supposed to feel a little bumpy, but not like the inside of corrugated cardboard/gravel road right? Or at least not for someone who is only wavy heheh right? I mean if you had handed me one of my own hairs I would say that it was from a 3c or 4a type hair. YKWIM?
Originally Posted by goobernut
Ack. I hate beeswax, too. First product I tried with it was Deva's Set It Free and I found it just awful for my hair. Others seem to like it, though. <shrug>

I haven't yet had occasion to use an anti-humectant, so I can't vouch for them or give a testimonial. So, I like hearing what other people have experienced with them. And so far, I haven't heard any real raves about them. It's almost as if they might basically be slightly better than using nothing at all.

You and mpgirl, though, seem to have had good experiences with hydrogenated castor oil, which is good information for the rest of us to file away for later use.

As for the condition of your hair now versus later, without seeing you or touching your hair then or now (ha -- sounds like a romantic overture!) and also not knowing what products you used before, it's hard to know how to diagnose you. It's possible that because your hair was oily, you were shampooing to reduce that situation and in so doing, were drying out your hair a bit.

And here's something that probably many will disagree with me on, but I really question the whole "my hair is healthier now than before CG" stance. I've been CG for more than two years and if I didn't use certain products now, my hair would look, feel, and behave pretty much exactly as it did pre-CG. Maybe my hair wasn't terribly damaged and so the change isn't all that remarkable. But I honestly feel it's the products I'm using rather than the so-called "health" of the hair itself that makes my hair look better today. If I didn't use the right combination of products now, I'd still have frizzy, undefined hair. CG has not been a magic pill for me.

So, all that is to say that maybe it isn't a magic pill for you, either.

Have you got a good stylist? Maybe he or she can take a look at your hair and tell you whether it's porous? It can sometimes be hard to determine it on your own hair because you have nothing to compare it to.
3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG


Fotki password: chuckle
Blog: http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/
Twitter: nopoojillipoo
angel29ish, where on earth do you live?? Your temperature is horrifying! Yet your dews and your humidity are in a pretty decent range for hair. What is your hair doing (other than fighting off icicles)?
Originally Posted by jillipoo
I agree, these Canadian Prairie temps are not fit for man nor beast! This is my first winter after going CG so, I'm not sure what to expect. Normally, my winter routine is to bump up the moisture and hope for the best. It does tend to dry in the extreme cold. I'm in a battle with frizz right now so any suggestions are welcome! BTW Jillipoo, I really enjoy your blog. Great information! Lovely hair too!
Originally Posted by angel29ish
Thank you, angel29ish!
3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG


Fotki password: chuckle
Blog: http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/
Twitter: nopoojillipoo
Did not realize that Set It Free had beeswax in it! Though I wonder if that actually might work since I seem to have luck with diluted products haha.

I think it depends on how horrible the health of your hair is when you start CG (or modified, or tracking of your products or whatever). If someone doesn't know how to take care of their hair to begin with, or you've abused it, you can stop said abuse, but never reverse the damage. You can skillfully stop the abuse, and skillfully use products that minimize the appearance of damage, but I don't believe that you can change the actual hair. Its not like skin, you can't actually repair it. I had to double check to see if I had actually used the word "health" in my post, because I don't generally believe that you can improve the health of your hair -- its dead. It doesn't change.

however, just like with a nice piece of leather you can dry it out, or keep it properly moisturized heh! You can use the correct cleaner and waxes to keep it supple and in good condition. If you do not follow the correct care for said piece of leather it does not look nice!

I do have a great hairdresser -- she's just in Tampa (yay tiffany) and I'm 2.5 hours away. And my hair has completely changed since I saw her in October. At that time she told me my hair was a little dehydrated, but in good shape . She told me it was fine/normal porosity. The hairdresser I usually see seems a little reluctant to talk about porosity/texture other than to just let me know what it is. Which is similar to what tiffany said.

No CG is not a magical pill! It is a learning process. And I have obviously missed a day of class or something hahahaha. No, I'm sure I'll figure out what it is that is causing the frizz fest, or one day I'll have a happy accident and do something I wouldn't normally do, and it will work. The PT's have already started to help. Its not going to keep me from whining about it in the mean time ha.

Ack. I hate beeswax, too. First product I tried with it was Deva's Set It Free and I found it just awful for my hair. Others seem to like it, though. <shrug>

I haven't yet had occasion to use an anti-humectant, so I can't vouch for them or give a testimonial. So, I like hearing what other people have experienced with them. And so far, I haven't heard any real raves about them. It's almost as if they might basically be slightly better than using nothing at all.

You and mpgirl, though, seem to have had good experiences with hydrogenated castor oil, which is good information for the rest of us to file away for later use.

As for the condition of your hair now versus later, without seeing you or touching your hair then or now (ha -- sounds like a romantic overture!) and also not knowing what products you used before, it's hard to know how to diagnose you. It's possible that because your hair was oily, you were shampooing to reduce that situation and in so doing, were drying out your hair a bit.

And here's something that probably many will disagree with me on, but I really question the whole "my hair is healthier now than before CG" stance. I've been CG for more than two years and if I didn't use certain products now, my hair would look, feel, and behave pretty much exactly as it did pre-CG. Maybe my hair wasn't terribly damaged and so the change isn't all that remarkable. But I honestly feel it's the products I'm using rather than the so-called "health" of the hair itself that makes my hair look better today. If I didn't use the right combination of products now, I'd still have frizzy, undefined hair. CG has not been a magic pill for me.

So, all that is to say that maybe it isn't a magic pill for you, either.

Have you got a good stylist? Maybe he or she can take a look at your hair and tell you whether it's porous? It can sometimes be hard to determine it on your own hair because you have nothing to compare it to.
Originally Posted by jillipoo
Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.

Trending Topics


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com