Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > Growing out

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 09:04 PM   #41
 
etos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewlyNaturalG View Post
bump! still looking for a GREAT moisturizing deep conditioner!
curl junkie curl rehab <3
__________________
highlighted 3a hair. Fine strands, medium to high density. Probably high porosity. Growing uit bad layering and aiming for waist lenght!

Pre-poo: coconut oil
wash: CJ Daily fix or SheaMoisture Coconut&Hibiscus
RO + LI: different every time
Styler: CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB

dislikes: glycerin in low dews, scissor happy stylists, magnesium sulfate

(modified) CG since june 25, 2012
Hiarfinity + extra MSM since March 5., 2014

SL - APL - BSBL- BSL - MBL - WL (stretched)
etos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #42
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by etos View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewlyNaturalG View Post
bump! still looking for a GREAT moisturizing deep conditioner!
curl junkie curl rehab <3
I'll make sure top search it up! But in your post it also says you're experimenting with Biotin pills? How has that been going? I'm thinking of trying them out!
NewlyNaturalG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:51 AM   #43
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 41
Default

I agree with Curl Junkie rehab-it's the best!!! It leaves my hair feeling like velvet but also shiny, strong and light unlike the AO conditioner I've tried.
__________________
Just starting CG! 5-13

2A, fine, dense, high porosity, highlighted

low-poo: Leonor Greyl bain vitalisant b*
co-wash: CJ smoothing*
RO: ^, SS Caitlin's*
DT: CJ rehab
LI: CJ rehab
stylers: CJ CCCC*
oils: coconut


*experimenting
HG

loves: aloe, oils, esp. coconut
hates: acv, baking soda
on the fence about polyquats
mermaidwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #44
 
adthomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,644
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewlyNaturalG View Post
I DON'T WANT TO GO TO A RELAXER FOR HELP AGAIN. But I don't know what else to do. So to start from the beginning, I wore weaves for about 2.5 years to grow it out. Once I was all natural I stopped. But my hair is so dry! I thought it was the weaves but my hair is literally irreversibly DRY. No matter what I do to it it's DRY. It rejects all product, I think even water! This is why I thought my hair was low porosity but when I run my fingers through a strand of hair, there is TONS of resistance! And it feels sort of squeaky, and DRY, and brittle and UGH. I put a strand into a glass of water and once I completely submerged the strand in water (using my finger) it sank. I tried the Aphogee Protein Treatment once, it didnt do anything of course (considering my hair rejects EVERYTHING.) I tried the DIY yogurt deep co, I tried the Egg/Mayo deep co, I tried drugstore/beauty supply deep co, I tried the roux porosity conditioner, i even tried the baking soda treatment and NOTHING WORKED. Why does my hair feels like this It should feel like cotton-so soft and luscious. But it just feels like straw! Even oils don't do a thing. Organic Olive Oil, Castor Oil, Coconut Oil, they dont do anything! I tried shea moisture anti-breakage deep co and curl enhancing smoothie and yet again, NO long term difference. My hair feels like crap and products like shea moisture conceal it for a few seconds and my hair is back to "normal." I deep co with a plastic cap and heat too! And I sleep with a satin bonnet! I've NEVER straightened my hair, so it cant be heat damage. I'm just about all natural (except a TINY bit on the ends) and like 21 months post relaxer. If my hair grew the way it should it should be about 10.5 inches long, but it's only about 6 inches long I'm really trying to grow my hair out, BUT I NEED TO GET IT HEALTHY FIRST. Any tips on how I do that? Thank you!

UPDATE: I have used the As I Am Coconut Cowash and deep conditioned with Coconut Oil and Honey (This was all I had that was moisturizing and not protein). And I sealed with Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smootie (There was still some coconut oil on my hair so I put the smoothie on top of that). My hair STILL had a LOT of resistance and had that plastic/squeaky feeling when I rubbed it! My hair dried really fast (or at least had that DRY feeling really fast) and I forget if that means I have High or Low Porosity. The Cowash detangled my hair but my Bentonite Clay Wash DEFINITELY defines and detangles much more! I'm going to continue with the Cowash once a week to see if anything changes and my moisture problem is solved. I still need a better deep conditioner and Leave-in though. Any more tips? Thank you!
I'm protein sensitive and most of this stuff would make my hair dry and brittle too. Yogurt only goes in my stomach.
People forget or dont realize there are 3 versions of TN . Volume, moisture and vibrantly smooth .. I have tried them all and only like moisture. They took the isopropyl out of moisture when they reformulated. I use it as a li no prob. Before the ingredient change I couldn't use it as li. For dc I add evoo and banana baby food and honey to it.
__________________
"More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them." - Harold J. Smith.
adthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #45
 
rapunzel4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 516
Default

Be careful with mineral oil! It could cause the plastic feel you're describing. As could -cones and too much protein! Keep moisturizing and be sure not to use anything that prevents the moisture to enter the cuticle. After moisturizing you could try to use an oil to seal the moisture in. Hope you get the cotton feel you're aiming for very soon!

_____
2b-c/3a med/fine- low porosity- normal elasticity, BSL
__________________
2B/C-3A) fine - low porosity
Routine:
Wash: Daily Fix,SMT, Kesham, Urtekram
RO: Motions CPR Li, Inecto Cocos co, AO GPB, KCTT
acv-rinse, sometimes honey-rinse
LI: coconut oil (winter), CJBC-LI
Styling: AVG, Etos Solid Power Gel, Taft gel, CJPP
, JCCC, BRHG
Plopping~Pixiecurl diffuse~clipping
KrullenWijzer.blogspot.nl
rapunzel4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #46
 
Always@night's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 526
Default

I like Cantu Deep Treatment masque For a deep conditioner, as well as Crecé Pelo for a deep conditioner.
Also I switched from coconut oil to olive oil and my hair loves it. I hope you are finding the products that work best for you.
Always@night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #47
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapunzel4ever View Post
Be careful with mineral oil! It could cause the plastic feel you're describing. As could -cones and too much protein! Keep moisturizing and be sure not to use anything that prevents the moisture to enter the cuticle. After moisturizing you could try to use an oil to seal the moisture in. Hope you get the cotton feel you're aiming for very soon!

_____
2b-c/3a med/fine- low porosity- normal elasticity, BSL
Thank you for your well-wishes! However, is there did you see possible mineral oil in my regimen?
NewlyNaturalG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #48
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaidwaves View Post
I agree with Curl Junkie rehab-it's the best!!! It leaves my hair feeling like velvet but also shiny, strong and light unlike the AO conditioner I've tried.
Thank you for the suggestion! However my hair is 4b-4c so I do not know if the CJR will work as well for me hmm...
NewlyNaturalG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #49
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adthomas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewlyNaturalG View Post
I DON'T WANT TO GO TO A RELAXER FOR HELP AGAIN. But I don't know what else to do. So to start from the beginning, I wore weaves for about 2.5 years to grow it out. Once I was all natural I stopped. But my hair is so dry! I thought it was the weaves but my hair is literally irreversibly DRY. No matter what I do to it it's DRY. It rejects all product, I think even water! This is why I thought my hair was low porosity but when I run my fingers through a strand of hair, there is TONS of resistance! And it feels sort of squeaky, and DRY, and brittle and UGH. I put a strand into a glass of water and once I completely submerged the strand in water (using my finger) it sank. I tried the Aphogee Protein Treatment once, it didnt do anything of course (considering my hair rejects EVERYTHING.) I tried the DIY yogurt deep co, I tried the Egg/Mayo deep co, I tried drugstore/beauty supply deep co, I tried the roux porosity conditioner, i even tried the baking soda treatment and NOTHING WORKED. Why does my hair feels like this It should feel like cotton-so soft and luscious. But it just feels like straw! Even oils don't do a thing. Organic Olive Oil, Castor Oil, Coconut Oil, they dont do anything! I tried shea moisture anti-breakage deep co and curl enhancing smoothie and yet again, NO long term difference. My hair feels like crap and products like shea moisture conceal it for a few seconds and my hair is back to "normal." I deep co with a plastic cap and heat too! And I sleep with a satin bonnet! I've NEVER straightened my hair, so it cant be heat damage. I'm just about all natural (except a TINY bit on the ends) and like 21 months post relaxer. If my hair grew the way it should it should be about 10.5 inches long, but it's only about 6 inches long I'm really trying to grow my hair out, BUT I NEED TO GET IT HEALTHY FIRST. Any tips on how I do that? Thank you!

UPDATE: I have used the As I Am Coconut Cowash and deep conditioned with Coconut Oil and Honey (This was all I had that was moisturizing and not protein). And I sealed with Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smootie (There was still some coconut oil on my hair so I put the smoothie on top of that). My hair STILL had a LOT of resistance and had that plastic/squeaky feeling when I rubbed it! My hair dried really fast (or at least had that DRY feeling really fast) and I forget if that means I have High or Low Porosity. The Cowash detangled my hair but my Bentonite Clay Wash DEFINITELY defines and detangles much more! I'm going to continue with the Cowash once a week to see if anything changes and my moisture problem is solved. I still need a better deep conditioner and Leave-in though. Any more tips? Thank you!
I'm protein sensitive and most of this stuff would make my hair dry and brittle too. Yogurt only goes in my stomach.
People forget or dont realize there are 3 versions of TN . Volume, moisture and vibrantly smooth .. I have tried them all and only like moisture. They took the isopropyl out of moisture when they reformulated. I use it as a li no prob. Before the ingredient change I couldn't use it as li. For dc I add evoo and banana baby food and honey to it.
Use it as a leave in? I don't know I wanted to try the Giovanni's Direct Leave In. For deep conditioner, I would hope to not have to add too much else to it and can work by itself pretty well.
NewlyNaturalG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #50
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always@night View Post
I like Cantu Deep Treatment masque For a deep conditioner, as well as Crecé Pelo for a deep conditioner.
Also I switched from coconut oil to olive oil and my hair loves it. I hope you are finding the products that work best for you.
Yes I did notice Olive Oil has some useful slip.But the smell is not something I want on my hair! Maybe I should add Olive Oil to my deep conditioners rather than the coconut oil. Thanks!
NewlyNaturalG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:25 PM   #51
 
rapunzel4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 516
Default

Just put some olive oil in a smaller bottle and add a few drops of rose oil. A few drops of rose oil is enough to mask the scent of olive oil.

_____
2b-c/3a med/fine- low porosity- normal elasticity, BSL
__________________
2B/C-3A) fine - low porosity
Routine:
Wash: Daily Fix,SMT, Kesham, Urtekram
RO: Motions CPR Li, Inecto Cocos co, AO GPB, KCTT
acv-rinse, sometimes honey-rinse
LI: coconut oil (winter), CJBC-LI
Styling: AVG, Etos Solid Power Gel, Taft gel, CJPP
, JCCC, BRHG
Plopping~Pixiecurl diffuse~clipping
KrullenWijzer.blogspot.nl
rapunzel4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:26 AM   #52
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewlyNaturalG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always@night View Post
I like Cantu Deep Treatment masque For a deep conditioner, as well as Crecé Pelo for a deep conditioner.
Also I switched from coconut oil to olive oil and my hair loves it. I hope you are finding the products that work best for you.
Yes I did notice Olive Oil has some useful slip.But the smell is not something I want on my hair! Maybe I should add Olive Oil to my deep conditioners rather than the coconut oil. Thanks!
Avocado oil or a refined olive oil instead of extra virgin. In the UK that would be called light olive oil and olive pomace oil, not sure what your US naming system is.
__________________
2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG, growing out mechanical and chemical damage = breakage and very high porosity. Past armpit length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut
Treatments: Komaza Matani, coconut oil, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss ultimate volume, Inecto argan
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Boots Essentials gel
Experimenting with: going back to basics
Firefox7275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:38 PM   #53
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapunzel4ever View Post
Just put some olive oil in a smaller bottle and add a few drops of rose oil. A few drops of rose oil is enough to mask the scent of olive oil.

_____
2b-c/3a med/fine- low porosity- normal elasticity, BSL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox7275 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewlyNaturalG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always@night View Post
I like Cantu Deep Treatment masque For a deep conditioner, as well as Crecé Pelo for a deep conditioner.
Also I switched from coconut oil to olive oil and my hair loves it. I hope you are finding the products that work best for you.
Yes I did notice Olive Oil has some useful slip.But the smell is not something I want on my hair! Maybe I should add Olive Oil to my deep conditioners rather than the coconut oil. Thanks!
Avocado oil or a refined olive oil instead of extra virgin. In the UK that would be called light olive oil and olive pomace oil, not sure what your US naming system is.
Hmm okay thanks for the idea! And in the US I think it's just "light" olive oil or it simply says "olive oil" haha thanks!
NewlyNaturalG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Trending Topics[-]hide

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com