Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > Growing out

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By anonymous_477

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 5
Red face It's time to grow my hair out - need product suggestions!

Hi everyone

I'm a long-time lurker, first time (I think) poster. I've done some dreadful things to my hair in the last few years and now I'm paying the price - I can't get any more length!

I believe that my hair is 3a-3b. I get perfect, short ringlets underneath and looser curls on top. I'm low porosity and low-medium density - when I grab all my hair it's VERY thin, but I can't see my scalp through it. I wouldn't say that it feels very dry or brittle.

I haven't put any color in my hair since December 2011. My last trim was in May 2012. I stopped using heat in late July of this year. Before then I was using a blow dryer (no diffuser) and curling iron everyday to give myself volume on top and length underneath. I've switched between mousse, cream and gel quite a bit.

My current routine is something like this: I shampoo and condition every morning (occasionally I skip a day for shampoo, but no more than that because I found it was tangling horribly if I did) using Garnier Fructis Hydra Recharge. After the conditioner has been on a few minutes I flip my head over and finger comb it - I never use a comb or brush - and then turn the water to cold and, with my head still upside down, rinse it, turn the shower off an wrap it in a towel. After letting it set in a towel a few minutes I apply product - sometimes I'll use my conditioner on the bottom curls to try to combat the tangles. My current product is Tigi Curlesque Curls Rock Amplifier (a cream). I have Loreal Alcohol Free gel I sometimes use, Curls gel from Target (the orange label), and Paul Mitchell mousse. I finger comb my product through my hair, shake my head upside down a bit to try to get some lift at the roots, and go. At night I pull it up into a bun while I'm sleeping.

I have a very bad habit with my hair: I'm a toucher. I mostly wear it down and I love to run my hands through it and move it around. The curls underneath tangle up and I stretch them and try to detangle through out the day. When my product feels crunchy I scrunch and squeeze and ruffle to try to loosen it.

Between the curling iron and the constant tugging I know I'm breaking my hair so what I need to know is how to repair it. What products can I use to minimize the tangles? Does my hair need protein, moisture, or something else? What changes do I need to make to my routine?

I think I've managed to attach pictures, but if not you can find them in an album in my profile. The second pic is right after my last trim, spring 2012. The first pic is from this fall. If anything I'd say my hair is shorter now!

Sorry for the length of this post - I wanted to get all the info out there so I can get the best help Thanks for reading!

Nikki
Attached Thumbnails
It's time to grow my hair out - need product suggestions!-image1.jpg   It's time to grow my hair out - need product suggestions!-image2.jpg  
anonymous_477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:08 AM   #2
 
bringingcurliesback?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 682
Default

I think you should try cowashing with the lighter more watery conditioners and if you don't want to go all out CG, you can low poo (or occasionally shampoo once or twice a week). When I firat started wearing my hair curly I was a garnier sleek and shine shampoo and conditioner girl. I used a lot of garnier products like mousse, gel, milk/leave in etc. Then I started cg in 2007 and haven't looked back since. I'd high ly reccomend experimenting with cheaper products-as they not only work awesome but are easily accessible to most if us in drugstores. Experimentation is really the only way to really know what your hair likes. Make sure you try things a few times and experiment with using them in different ways before you decide it won't work for you.
Let me know if you have any more questions. (:
Happy curl times lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using CurlTalk App
__________________
Sometimes I get carried away and manipulate him too much. He tells me he's fine on his own but I never listen. I wash him less now and all in all we're happy.
Beast's Favorite Things:
Shea Moisture
Kinky Curly
Curl Junkie
Natural Stuff
BC #2: 10/2/13
2c/3a/3b w/ loose botticellis, whirls and curls,
Coarse, High Porosity;CG since 2007
bringingcurliesback? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:01 AM   #3
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnicole View Post
Hi everyone

I'm a long-time lurker, first time (I think) poster. I've done some dreadful things to my hair in the last few years and now I'm paying the price - I can't get any more length!

I believe that my hair is 3a-3b. I get perfect, short ringlets underneath and looser curls on top. I'm low porosity and low-medium density - when I grab all my hair it's VERY thin, but I can't see my scalp through it. I wouldn't say that it feels very dry or brittle.

I haven't put any color in my hair since December 2011. My last trim was in May 2012. I stopped using heat in late July of this year. Before then I was using a blow dryer (no diffuser) and curling iron everyday to give myself volume on top and length underneath. I've switched between mousse, cream and gel quite a bit.

My current routine is something like this: I shampoo and condition every morning (occasionally I skip a day for shampoo, but no more than that because I found it was tangling horribly if I did) using Garnier Fructis Hydra Recharge. After the conditioner has been on a few minutes I flip my head over and finger comb it - I never use a comb or brush - and then turn the water to cold and, with my head still upside down, rinse it, turn the shower off an wrap it in a towel. After letting it set in a towel a few minutes I apply product - sometimes I'll use my conditioner on the bottom curls to try to combat the tangles. My current product is Tigi Curlesque Curls Rock Amplifier (a cream). I have Loreal Alcohol Free gel I sometimes use, Curls gel from Target (the orange label), and Paul Mitchell mousse. I finger comb my product through my hair, shake my head upside down a bit to try to get some lift at the roots, and go. At night I pull it up into a bun while I'm sleeping.

I have a very bad habit with my hair: I'm a toucher. I mostly wear it down and I love to run my hands through it and move it around. The curls underneath tangle up and I stretch them and try to detangle through out the day. When my product feels crunchy I scrunch and squeeze and ruffle to try to loosen it.

Between the curling iron and the constant tugging I know I'm breaking my hair so what I need to know is how to repair it. What products can I use to minimize the tangles? Does my hair need protein, moisture, or something else? What changes do I need to make to my routine?

I think I've managed to attach pictures, but if not you can find them in an album in my profile. The second pic is right after my last trim, spring 2012. The first pic is from this fall. If anything I'd say my hair is shorter now!

Sorry for the length of this post - I wanted to get all the info out there so I can get the best help Thanks for reading!

Nikki
Welcome!

Curly hair isn't supposed to be tangle free or easy to run your fingers through, it's the nature of the beast. Stop with all the detangling and touching and ruffling and finger combing: get volume with root clipping. There was a thread of stopping touching hair over on the general haircare board quite recently.
Root Volume for Curly Girls - YouTube

Hair is dead unfortunately it cannot be repaired, the best you can do is grow or cut out the damage from frequent shampooing, heat styling, playing with it and dye. I've spent two years growing out damage from dye and playing with my hair and brushing when wet, it is easier to cut out the damage bit by bit than try to baby porous/ fried hair to get long because it will still be thinner than you want from breakage.

You can reduce porosity with overnight coconut oil soaks on dry hair, you might try a leave in conditioner rich in hydrolysed protein, this can patch repair some of the damage and strengthen (both temporary). Other ingredients beneficial for damaged hair include ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol. The Komaza Care Matani repair treatment and leave in conditioner and the Scientific Essentials hair conditioner all contain several of these ingredients.

Also consider switching to a gentler shampoo based on a glucoside or betaine surfactant and pH 4.5 to 5.5 plus stretching washes. Water and shampoo are both damaging - known as hygral fatigue and weathering.
Porosity and Curly Hair
__________________
2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG, growing out mechanical and chemical damage = breakage and very high porosity. Past armpit length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut
Treatments: Komaza Matani, coconut oil, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss ultimate volume, Inecto argan
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Boots Essentials gel
Experimenting with: going back to basics
Firefox7275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringingcurliesback? View Post
I think you should try cowashing with the lighter more watery conditioners and if you don't want to go all out CG, you can low poo (or occasionally shampoo once or twice a week).
Thanks for the tips! Can you give me an example of the lighter conditioner you're talking about? I definitely think I need to experiment because I know my hair gets used to products quickly.
anonymous_477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #5
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox7275 View Post
Hair is dead unfortunately it cannot be repaired, the best you can do is grow or cut out the damage from frequent shampooing, heat styling, playing with it and dye. I've spent two years growing out damage from dye and playing with my hair and brushing when wet, it is easier to cut out the damage bit by bit than try to baby porous/ fried hair to get long because it will still be thinner than you want from breakage.
Thanks for the helpful links and I'll definitely look for the ingredients you mentioned. It's probably time I get a trim isn't it? I shudder to think about it because last time I had to take so much length off to get rid of the dead ends. But getting rid of the fried ends will promote growth, right?
Firefox7275 likes this.
anonymous_477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:25 PM   #6
 
bringingcurliesback?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 682
Default

The lighter watery conditioners that are still cheap are: Suave naturals (most people use the tropical coconut on here but I believe they are silicone free)
Vo5 moisture milks are great too. Their are lots of scents!!

A more moisturizing one would be Tresemme Naturals nourishing moisture.

For a gel try one of these:
L.A. looks sport (blue bottle), garnier pure clean, or aussie instant freeze.

You can also read reviews on this website.

Basically your going to want to use the first two I mentioned as a cowash.

Tresemme naturals you can use as your conditioner.

For leave in you can experiment with either one.

Next you would style with gel.
Try plopping, scrunching, diffusing etc. There are various methods

Finally, let it dry if your not diffusing and when it is 100% dry scrunch out th3 crunch.

Viola!

I'm actually just chopped off my long long hair so I have to learn a whole new routine. But hey this worked for me!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using CurlTalk App
__________________
Sometimes I get carried away and manipulate him too much. He tells me he's fine on his own but I never listen. I wash him less now and all in all we're happy.
Beast's Favorite Things:
Shea Moisture
Kinky Curly
Curl Junkie
Natural Stuff
BC #2: 10/2/13
2c/3a/3b w/ loose botticellis, whirls and curls,
Coarse, High Porosity;CG since 2007
bringingcurliesback? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:05 AM   #7
 
Johari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 664
Default

Maybe replace gel & mouse with a leave in conditioner caz i hear gel & mouse can thin hair out or cause build up.

Also try oils know for hair growth like coconut.
Sent from my C5155 using CurlTalk App
Johari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:15 AM   #8
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous_477 View Post
Thanks for the helpful links and I'll definitely look for the ingredients you mentioned. It's probably time I get a trim isn't it? I shudder to think about it because last time I had to take so much length off to get rid of the dead ends. But getting rid of the fried ends will promote growth, right?
Getting rid of fried ends will reduce breakage which will ultimately lead to longer hair but it will not promote growth - the living roots don't know what the dead lengths and ends are doing. At the end of the day you have not had a trim in way over a year which is way too long. Most people need a cut every six months or so, damaged hair may be more often.

You are not alone, lots of us have had to cut a few inches off, or maintain at the same length for a year or more. It is worth it once you get healthier hair because it is a nightmare trying to make fried hair look and feel nice - ultimately that will encourage you to touch more. Also the damaged hair will tend to tangle on the healthier hair higher up damaging that.

Maybe have a specialist curly cut/ complete restyle rather than a regular trim - if you like the reshape you might focus on that instead of having just lost length. You might also consider conditioner only styling: your hair will be softer, less crunchy, less tangly and more protected than with styling products.
__________________
2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG, growing out mechanical and chemical damage = breakage and very high porosity. Past armpit length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut
Treatments: Komaza Matani, coconut oil, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss ultimate volume, Inecto argan
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Boots Essentials gel
Experimenting with: going back to basics

Last edited by Firefox7275; 10-06-2013 at 02:21 AM.
Firefox7275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Trending Topics[-]hide

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com