Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > Hall of Shame discussion

Like Tree69Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 01:56 AM   #181
 
gabbypaulina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5
Default

My friend's dad asked me "Are you half black?" the first time I met him. I'm almost completely Canadian (a bit British, but that's very far back). Literally I'm as white as they come. I had a good laugh over it and had to break it to him that I wasn't. People always say to me that they never see such curly hair on such fair skin, but that's just my experience.
gabbypaulina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #182
 
kurlygurly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 624
Default

I get that question all the time or i get "what are you mixed with" "what's your nationality". It's really no big deal to me......I just say I'm mixed with my mom and dad and they giggle.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Korkscrew, txwvy32 and spiralschic like this.
__________________
3B....Live Curly Live Free Analysis: Texture = Medium Porosity = Normal Elasticity = Normal iherb.com discount code DWW266

Desert Essence Coconut shampoo
Condition: AO_Island Naturals, AO_Honeysuckle, AO White Camellia
LEAVE-IN: Natures Gate pomegranate sunflower, Desert Essence Coconut
STYLE: Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic Jelly/AO B-5 gel
Staple: Jojoba Oil
kurlygurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:29 AM   #183
 
MissKris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurlygurly View Post
I get that question all the time or i get "what are you mixed with" "what's your nationality". It's really no big deal to me......I just say I'm mixed with my mom and dad and they giggle.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
I like that one! I'mma give it to my church 2nite if you don't mind.


Birth Feb 1984, First press 1990, First relaxer 1992, Last relaxer Oct 2006, BC Sept 2007, 4c.....
MissKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #184
 
kurlygurly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 624
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKris View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurlygurly View Post
I get that question all the time or i get "what are you mixed with" "what's your nationality". It's really no big deal to me......I just say I'm mixed with my mom and dad and they giggle.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
I like that one! I'mma give it to my church 2nite if you don't mind.


Birth Feb 1984, First press 1990, First relaxer 1992, Last relaxer Oct 2006, BC Sept 2007, 4c.....
Cool!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
__________________
3B....Live Curly Live Free Analysis: Texture = Medium Porosity = Normal Elasticity = Normal iherb.com discount code DWW266

Desert Essence Coconut shampoo
Condition: AO_Island Naturals, AO_Honeysuckle, AO White Camellia
LEAVE-IN: Natures Gate pomegranate sunflower, Desert Essence Coconut
STYLE: Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic Jelly/AO B-5 gel
Staple: Jojoba Oil
kurlygurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #185
 
spiralschic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twirlygranny View Post
People are so ignorant, they don't even know that Africans have wavy, curly & kinky hair. I'm black and don't have light skin but because of my hair, I've had people ask me if I am or are my parents are mixed. LOL...I'm just a black person with curly hair like both my parents. I haven't researched my racial history and really don't care. And the funny thing is that it's always black people that are questioning me.
I don't know if you'll see this, but I have had a black person say that anyone who was black and had curly hair was automatically mixed, because a true black person does not have curly hair.
spiralschic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:43 PM   #186
 
spiralschic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8
Default

The one question I generally get asked is if I'm Jewish. I've also had people ask me if was Greek or Gypsy and one person actually assumed I was partially black because of my hair. (They've never seen some of the Irish people, I bet.) The Jewish part, however, was because of my nose, not my hair. Normally the people who ask me are Jewish people or Arabic.

What most people don't realize, is that my nose is actually typical of an American Indian, which I am partially. I'm also Irish, Chinese and East Indian. (The last two was a surprise, but then, when you know the history of the American Indians, maybe not so much.) The funny thing is that people who are white, with the exception of the one who thought I was part black, assume I'm completely white, and are shocked when they find out I'm not. Some still don't want to accept it.
spiralschic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #187
 
MissKris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralschic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by twirlygranny View Post
People are so ignorant, they don't even know that Africans have wavy, curly & kinky hair. I'm black and don't have light skin but because of my hair, I've had people ask me if I am or are my parents are mixed. LOL...I'm just a black person with curly hair like both my parents. I haven't researched my racial history and really don't care. And the funny thing is that it's always black people that are questioning me.
I don't know if you'll see this, but I have had a black person say that anyone who was black and had curly hair was automatically mixed, because a true black person does not have curly hair.
A person said that for real?!?!? What nonsense!! I mean, sure ancestory can explain a trait, but black is black regardless of curl pattern. My friend is waaaaaayyyyy darker than I am. And I've seen the rest of her family so I know where she comes from.....her curl is a lil looser and much more defined than mine. But you can't tell me that I'm truly black and she is not.

That comment displays true "igggnance." So much so that I had to mispell the word.


Birth Feb 1984, First press 1990, First relaxer 1992, Last relaxer Oct 2006, BC Sept 2007, 4c.....
MissKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:44 AM   #188
 
fefe912's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 543
Default

I always get asked if I'm black and korean or asian lol even moreso since I've gone natural. The things people say really surprise me sometimes. I was at the grocery store and this lady goes... hey are you black and korean because you look just like some of my family and I'm like sorry but no I'm not mixed and she goes are you sure? because I think you are, maybe you should talk to your parents to make sure. Luckily I'm not easily offended so I just was like...wow people are a trip. Then I've had peeps tell me that my hair was too pretty to not be mixed. you can tell they don't get out much smh.
fefe912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #189
 
Speckla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,453
Default

People are too rude for their own good. Just say, "Yes, I'm mixed with sugar, spice, and everything nice." That'll leave them speechless.

A question like that doesn't need a serious reply.
__________________
If you can read this then you're standing too close.
Speckla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:00 PM   #190
 
kurlygurly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 624
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fefe912 View Post
I always get asked if I'm black and korean or asian lol even moreso since I've gone natural. The things people say really surprise me sometimes. I was at the grocery store and this lady goes... hey are you black and korean because you look just like some of my family and I'm like sorry but no I'm not mixed and she goes are you sure? because I think you are, maybe you should talk to your parents to make sure. Luckily I'm not easily offended so I just was like...wow people are a trip. Then I've had peeps tell me that my hair was too pretty to not be mixed. you can tell they don't get out much smh.
Those are truly stupid statements....sorry you've even had to hear such ignorance.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
fefe912 likes this.
__________________
3B....Live Curly Live Free Analysis: Texture = Medium Porosity = Normal Elasticity = Normal iherb.com discount code DWW266

Desert Essence Coconut shampoo
Condition: AO_Island Naturals, AO_Honeysuckle, AO White Camellia
LEAVE-IN: Natures Gate pomegranate sunflower, Desert Essence Coconut
STYLE: Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic Jelly/AO B-5 gel
Staple: Jojoba Oil
kurlygurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #191
 
AnnieRose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 87
Default

I don't know why anyone would get angry over that question....?
Korkscrew likes this.
AnnieRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:01 PM   #192
 
laticka7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 174
Default

I know a lot of black people with curly hair and people ask all the time if their mixed and it offends them. I guess it's a race thing like "oh you trying to say my hair to good for me to be black" but it doesn't bother me and I get mistaken for a puerto rican and I'm mixed.
laticka7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #193
 
Johari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 664
Default

I'm not usually offended it just gets annoying to explain that both my parents&grandparents are black.I don't like to get into how my great great grandparents+ were biracial or whatever,because I don't really count that.
If the person that asks me is mixed/bircial then I can understand that they see someone they can relate to.But what I don't like it a total stranger asking me what/who I am its just not a great opener.
Johari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #194
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4
Default

I'm usually not asked this. But a year or so ago, a person came up to me- I didn't even know him- and asked if I was mixed...He obviously was. I'm not, I have dark brown 3A hair and green eyes. I'm German and a little Native American (My grandma's grandpa). I get really tan during the summer, which is why he asked. But I get white as snow in the winter. Think people.


Dramatically Yours,
Logan
Theatre_Curls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:47 AM   #195
 
kurlygurly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 624
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theatre_Curls View Post
I'm usually not asked this. But a year or so ago, a person came up to me- I didn't even know him- and asked if I was mixed...He obviously was. I'm not, I have dark brown 3A hair and green eyes. I'm German and a little Native American (My grandma's grandpa). I get really tan during the summer, which is why he asked. But I get white as snow in the winter. Think people.


Dramatically Yours,
Logan
Hmmmm.....you ARE mixed....you just wrote you're German and Native American. Having darker curly hair and green eyes isn't what a lot of people think of as typically pure white. IJS.



Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
__________________
3B....Live Curly Live Free Analysis: Texture = Medium Porosity = Normal Elasticity = Normal iherb.com discount code DWW266

Desert Essence Coconut shampoo
Condition: AO_Island Naturals, AO_Honeysuckle, AO White Camellia
LEAVE-IN: Natures Gate pomegranate sunflower, Desert Essence Coconut
STYLE: Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic Jelly/AO B-5 gel
Staple: Jojoba Oil
kurlygurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #196
 
Korkscrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieRose View Post
I don't know why anyone would get angry over that question....?
I'm also sincerely interested in why the "What are you?" question is felt to be so offensive ... aside from a situation where the person asking seems to have nefarious intentions, like: to know if you're of a certain ethnicity they'd rather avoid, or for them to know what racist things they can/cannot say in front of you. Or maybe some think it's "too personal". But idk, I mean "What do you do for a living?" doesn't seem to get people hot, usually. And I consider that somewhat personal too (not that I mind being asked).

There probably are reasons for feeling offended that I just haven't considered, as I'm just one person with one set of experiences. Personally, I just figure there's nothing wrong with someone expressing some curiosity about me, and in a way, it's flattering because there's something they find interesting about me. Plus I figure they have the right to ask me whatever they want and I have the right to answer, or not.

Last edited by Korkscrew; 10-03-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Korkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:34 PM   #197
 
elizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 283
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurlygurly View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theatre_Curls View Post
I'm usually not asked this. But a year or so ago, a person came up to me- I didn't even know him- and asked if I was mixed...He obviously was. I'm not, I have dark brown 3A hair and green eyes. I'm German and a little Native American (My grandma's grandpa). I get really tan during the summer, which is why he asked. But I get white as snow in the winter. Think people.


Dramatically Yours,
Logan
Hmmmm.....you ARE mixed....you just wrote you're German and Native American. Having darker curly hair and green eyes isn't what a lot of people think of as typically pure white. IJS.



Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Lol I'm white and Native American (MIXED), and I constantly get asked what am I? Nowadays, the question is usually asked more tactfully, but believe me, growing up in Baltimore no one had ever seen a Native person so...
__________________
2b/c wavy modified CG since July 2012
medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity
hair likes protein, doesn't like oils, easily OC'd

low poo: JCHCC, CJGCS
RO/co-wash/LI: YTCarrots, DB Pumpkin Seed
stylers: a bunch of stylers that are all pretty much the same (KCCC, UFDCM, CRCM, CKCJ) or ArcAngel if I need more hold
DT/PT: CJRM, CNPF
elizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:38 AM   #198
 
raindear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 365
Default

My basic mix is: French, Irish (father's side) & Welsh, Swedish (mother's side), but some of my ancestors were on American soil for over 200 years, so who knows for sure? One day I will have to study my genealogy better.

Over the years, I have often wanted to ask someone their ethnicities, most often because they were so strikingly beautiful that I was just burning with curiosity to know what genetic dice throw made the result. Usually, I have been too shy to ask, but remember this if an older lady ever gets the courage to ask you this and try to be kind.
Korkscrew likes this.
__________________
Be Happy!

Type:2b/3ab?
Texture:Medium/fine
Porosity:Normal
Elasticity:Normal

Experimenting with too many products to name here. All this great info keeps my head spinning.
raindear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #199
 
elizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 283
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korkscrew View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieRose View Post
I don't know why anyone would get angry over that question....?
I'm also sincerely interested in why the "What are you?" question is felt to be so offensive ... aside from a situation where the person asking seems to have nefarious intentions, like: to know if you're of a certain ethnicity they'd rather avoid, or for them to know what racist things they can/cannot say in front of you. Or maybe some think it's "too personal". But idk, I mean "What do you do for a living?" doesn't seem to get people hot, usually. And I consider that somewhat personal too (not that I mind being asked).

There probably are reasons for feeling offended that I just haven't considered, as I'm just one person with one set of experiences. Personally, I just figure there's nothing wrong with someone expressing some curiosity about me, and in a way, it's flattering because there's something they find interesting about me. Plus I figure they have the right to ask me whatever they want and I have the right to answer, or not.
I can only speak for myself, but for me it has a lot to do with the tone and the intent of the question. That and the person's history with having been asked this question.

For instance, I grew up in Baltimore, which is largely black with some white people. We rarely ever saw anyone of any other race, so when I was growing up and kids said to me, "What are you?," they didn't mean it in a nice way. They meant why do you look different from every other person I've ever seen. And that hurt.

Nowadays, when someone says, "What's your ethnic background?", that doesn't bother me much. Like you say, they are mostly just curious. I actually find my ethnic ambiguity and the combinations I've been asked funny.
curlyhoneyb likes this.
__________________
2b/c wavy modified CG since July 2012
medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity
hair likes protein, doesn't like oils, easily OC'd

low poo: JCHCC, CJGCS
RO/co-wash/LI: YTCarrots, DB Pumpkin Seed
stylers: a bunch of stylers that are all pretty much the same (KCCC, UFDCM, CRCM, CKCJ) or ArcAngel if I need more hold
DT/PT: CJRM, CNPF
elizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:58 AM   #200
 
Korkscrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizard View Post
I can only speak for myself, but for me it has a lot to do with the tone and the intent of the question. That and the person's history with having been asked this question.

For instance, I grew up in Baltimore, which is largely black with some white people. We rarely ever saw anyone of any other race, so when I was growing up and kids said to me, "What are you?," they didn't mean it in a nice way. They meant why do you look different from every other person I've ever seen. And that hurt.

Nowadays, when someone says, "What's your ethnic background?", that doesn't bother me much. Like you say, they are mostly just curious. I actually find my ethnic ambiguity and the combinations I've been asked funny.
Thanks for sharing Sounds like you've had a pretty interesting and sometimes painful existence growing up in Baltimore. Glad you were able to discern between negative questioning and basic curiosity later in life. Sounds like you have an interesting and unique look I bet if I saw you I'd be tempted to ask what you are, in a good way.
Korkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Trending Topics[-]hide

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com