CurlTalk

CurlTalk (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/)
-   Hall of Shame discussion (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/hall-shame-discussion/)
-   -   Straight haired roommate mini-rant (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/hall-shame-discussion/123799-straight-haired-roommate-mini-rant.html)

taylorobvi 04-02-2011 10:12 PM

Straight haired roommate mini-rant
 
Got a haircut yesterday and the stylist asked if she could straighten it.
normally I would have said no but I thought it might be fun to change it up for a day. So I agreed and she flat ironed it out.

Well it was fun, for about half an hour. Then I started missing my curls. I felt kind of bland and "not me" you know? When I got home my roommate got all excited and said "Oh my god your hair is straight!"
I said "I know, but I'm not really a fan. I can't wait to wash it."
and then she had to say Really. in that weird kinda sarcastic tone as in "why-would-you-want-to-make-it-curly-again?"

(She has stick straight hair down to her waist, by the way)
I explained to her that I felt like it wasn't me, and I felt like my hair is what makes me look unique/interesting

She went ahead and told me that guys always come up and compliment her on her hair and they always tell her they like straight hair better.
I was RAGING on the inside at that point so I went to my BFs

the one redeeming thing about that night? When I got over to my boyfriend's (who has begging to see my hair straightened for years) he said "I changed my mind. I dont want you to straighten your hair. Your curly hair gives you character and without it you just look like Katie (my roommate)"

sweet redemption.

Now that my rant is over. What sort of comebacks do you guys use when girls with stick straight hair make those sort of comments like they are better than you, or that you should obviously want hair like them?
My roommate has lovely hair but it is absolutely not for

liongirl29 04-03-2011 12:29 AM

I call B.S!
 
Not on you, on roommate's comment that guys always tell her they like straight hair better. I don't believe her for one second. Of course, different guys have different preferences for different things. But why would some random guy say "Wow, your hair is beautiful. In fact, straight hair is way prettier than curly hair." LOL That just doesn't happen. I picture a different scenario: Your roommate: "do you like my hair?" Guy: "Yes." Roommate: "Do you like it better than curly hair? Guy: "Of course" (said guy wants to get in pants of said roommate.)

Sounds to me like your roommate may be a little jealous of your curly hair. Everyone wants what they don't have, seems like. Ignore her and I'm glad your BF likes your hair natural. My fiance had never dated a girl with curly hair before and when I stopped straightening mine, he was wowed and is now a convert. He can't stop trying to touch it. I slap his hands, of course...haha!

Auntie Bubbs 04-03-2011 09:43 AM

I agree. If the topic comes up again, I'd honestly tell her, of course they'd tell you that, they want to get into your pants.:D That should make her think twice.
Or you could take the nicer route and just say something like, well, it takes all types, and all types are beautiful in their own way.You prefer your own straight hair for yourself, obviously and I prefer my curls. I wouldn't trade my curls for anything. I'm glad I have a BF who agrees so it doesn't really matter to me what some random guy in bar thinks.

nana_banana 04-04-2011 10:14 AM

Whenever a naturally straight haired person makes a comment about how I must wish my hair was straight, I usually crinkle my nose in disgust and say, "No way!"

Ha ha. Makes them think twice :D

wavyblonde 04-04-2011 11:52 AM

I agree with liongirl. Straight hair is the norm, so why would guys make a point of telling her they like straight hair better, unless she deliberately compared herself to you in their presence? And if she did that, that just shows you how profoundly insecure she must be.

LISA LISA 04-05-2011 12:29 PM

I usually give them my "Scary Teacher Face" and simply say "No." And then ignore their next five sentences.

EllyEllyOxenFree 04-08-2011 04:00 PM

I think your roommate got defensive because when she commented on your straight hair you told her that you didn't like it and couldn't wait to wash it.

Kind of off topic but I don't like the "jump on the straight haired girl" train we have on here sometimes...I'm pretty sure that if the story were reversed, and your straight haired roommate came home with a head full of curls and you said, "Omg! You curled your hair!" and she responded, "Oh I know, but I am SO not a fan..." there would be a thread on here saying that she was acting like curly hair wasn't good enough and it was offensive. I think we need to remember that there are people in the world with naturally straight hair, and their hair is pretty too. In praising our curls I feel as if we are supposed to be bashing straight hair...Yes, her comments were a little overkill, but I'm pretty sure she was giving you a side eye for acting like your straight hair was oh so unappealing.

lesliegonnacurl 04-08-2011 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllyEllyOxenFree (Post 1628534)
I think your roommate got defensive because when she commented on your straight hair you told her that you didn't like it and couldn't wait to wash it.

Kind of off topic but I don't like the "jump on the straight haired girl" train we have on here sometimes...I'm pretty sure that if the story were reversed, and your straight haired roommate came home with a head full of curls and you said, "Omg! You curled your hair!" and she responded, "Oh I know, but I am SO not a fan..." there would be a thread on here saying that she was acting like curly hair wasn't good enough and it was offensive. I think we need to remember that there are people in the world with naturally straight hair, and their hair is pretty too. In praising our curls I feel as if we are supposed to be bashing straight hair...Yes, her comments were a little overkill, but I'm pretty sure she was giving you a side eye for acting like your straight hair was oh so unappealing.


Amen. I feel like a lot of bashing of straight hair goes on, pride shouldn't only come from belittling others. If you want people to accept how you were born, (not talking to the original poster just in general), then you need to accept how they were born. I always hear stuff like "some girl with stringy flat hair tired to tell ME... blah blah blah". My dad had a perm for years because he thought his flat straight hair looked bad. He finally stopped perming about eleven years ago.

Just as we may struggle sometimes, people with straight hair can struggle too.

In my opinion, people with thick wavy hair are the luckiest of all!

VictoriaM 04-16-2011 11:13 AM

I don't get offended when a girl with straight hair tells me I should straighten (or permanently straighten) my hair. I see it as, "I have curly hair which is more rare than straight hair. I have hair that many girls want. Why should I make it straight?"

itsKelCeeEee 04-18-2011 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VictoriaM (Post 1635994)
I don't get offended when a girl with straight hair tells me I should straighten (or permanently straighten) my hair. I see it as, "I have curly hair which is more rare than straight hair. I have hair that many girls want. Why should I make it straight?"

Actually 60% of women have naturally curly hair so uhhh...lol

Chikyuu 04-22-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylorobvi (Post 1622939)
When I got over to my boyfriend's (who has begging to see my hair straightened for years) he said "I changed my mind. I dont want you to straighten your hair. Your curly hair gives you character and without it you just look like Katie (my roommate)"

sweet redemption.

When I read that I had to make this. http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instanc...x/19208487.jpg

proudcurlygirly 04-23-2012 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chikyuu (Post 1938992)
Quote:

Originally Posted by taylorobvi (Post 1622939)
When I got over to my boyfriend's (who has begging to see my hair straightened for years) he said "I changed my mind. I dont want you to straighten your hair. Your curly hair gives you character and without it you just look like Katie (my roommate)"

sweet redemption.

When I read that I had to make this. http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instanc...x/19208487.jpg

:laughing9: Lol, that's so funny - brilliant!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com