Shea Moisture and their rise in prices (in certian areas)

Like Tree4Likes

Shea Moisture got their products on sale online for $7.99 at Walgreens.com, but at 3 different Walgreens I went to in my area, they had everything for $11.99, except the Curl Enhancing Smoothie, Anti-Breakage Mask, and the Curling Soufleé, and those 3 were $13.99. Target, the same thing. 😡😡

I've been using their stuff since late 2010 and now I feel like I have to start all over again. I'm not paying more than $10 for shampoo or conditioners. Now for stylers that's different (in my mind) because you can't find that specific formula everywhere. But 100% organic shampoos that are sulfate free, they are becoming more common than not and I refuse to give SM over $10 for something I can find for $5 that does the same thing.

Now I was already a little heated about that bootleg BOGO sale they had and now this. Im good on stylers. I'm basically starting over to find a financially reasonable line of products as my hair care staple....smh 😡😡
The Walgreen's in my neighborhood has been charging about what you're finding somewhere between $11.99 and $13.99 for Shea Moisture products, however Target charges $9.99 last I checked which was nearly 1month ago... and they often do bogo's or bogo half off... but in SM's defense EVERYTHING increases when crude oil prices increase... trucking/shipping costs which increases overhead.... its called CAPITALISM, what America was built on... if it works for you... don't make your hair pay... cut back on something else. IJS... LOVE your curls in your pic btw... Be Blessed and Prosper... MsTextureLuv
kathymack likes this.
it's gonna come out to about the same thing if you order it from walgreen's site because of shipping and handling though. Anyways shea moisture products here have always been $9.99-$11.99 depending on the product and target is cheaper than getting shea moisture products from walmart or any other place near me.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...ily-world.html

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...ve-styles.html
I have seen the pricing range from $13.99 - $9.99 for regularly priced products in various areas. The pricing is determined by the seller, not Shea Moisture.

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder
.




it's gonna come out to about the same thing if you order it from walgreen's site because of shipping and handling though. Anyways shea moisture products here have always been $9.99-$11.99 depending on the product and target is cheaper than getting shea moisture products from walmart or any other place near me.
Originally Posted by fefe912
Shipping is free on orders $25 and up on Walgreens.com

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder
.




If the price was determined by the seller them the prices would be different at Walgreens, CVS and Target. They have all gone up in my area. I'm just gonna find something else. Ain't no way Imma pay more than $10 for shampoo or conditioner. I don't care WHO makes it.
The Walgreen's in my neighborhood has been charging about what you're finding somewhere between $11.99 and $13.99 for Shea Moisture products, however Target charges $9.99 last I checked which was nearly 1month ago... and they often do bogo's or bogo half off... but in SM's defense EVERYTHING increases when crude oil prices increase... trucking/shipping costs which increases overhead.... its called CAPITALISM, what America was built on... if it works for you... don't make your hair pay... cut back on something else. IJS... LOVE your curls in your pic btw... Be Blessed and Prosper... MsTextureLuv
Originally Posted by MsTextureLuv
Thanks. I know about the crude oil theory when it comes to prices. But paying more than $10 for shampoo or conditioner is too much to me, especially in this economic state we are in, especially when a company like Elasta QP has a 100% organic sulfate free shampoo that's less than $5. I'm jus disgusted because the pricing was something that SM always pushed and now they trying to sell people on demand as the reason for higher prices? The SAME trucks u used to transport that $9.99 product is the same one pushing out that $13.99 product. This is greed, plain and simple. Thats unacceptable to me.
I appreciate the compliment but imma find another product to use. There are plenty natural products that can do the same thing for less price. I'm unemployed and have no choice but to shop economically. But even when I was working, I didn't pay more than $10 for shampoo or conditioner. I'm just frustrated.

Last edited by GoldenBlaze; 09-20-2012 at 10:32 PM.
it's gonna come out to about the same thing if you order it from walgreen's site because of shipping and handling though. Anyways shea moisture products here have always been $9.99-$11.99 depending on the product and target is cheaper than getting shea moisture products from walmart or any other place near me.
Originally Posted by fefe912
Shipping is free on orders $25 and up on Walgreens.com
Originally Posted by juanab

yea I know, but I wasn't sure if you were just ordering one thing or not, that's y I said that.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...ily-world.html

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...ve-styles.html
The Walgreen's in my neighborhood has been charging about what you're finding somewhere between $11.99 and $13.99 for Shea Moisture products, however Target charges $9.99 last I checked which was nearly 1month ago... and they often do bogo's or bogo half off... but in SM's defense EVERYTHING increases when crude oil prices increase... trucking/shipping costs which increases overhead.... its called CAPITALISM, what America was built on... if it works for you... don't make your hair pay... cut back on something else. IJS... LOVE your curls in your pic btw... Be Blessed and Prosper... MsTextureLuv
Originally Posted by MsTextureLuv
Thanks. I know about the crude oil theory when it comes to prices. But paying more than $10 for shampoo or conditioner is too much to me, especially in this economic state we are in, especially when a company like Elasta QP has a 100% organic sulfate free shampoo that's less than $5. I'm jus disgusted because the pricing was something that SM always pushed and now they trying to sell people on demand as the reason for higher prices? The SAME trucks u used to transport that $9.99 product is the same one pushing out that $13.99 product. This is greed, plain and simple. Thats unacceptable to me.
Originally Posted by GoldenBlaze
I'm pretty sure Shea Moisture doesn't decide what the prices for their products are, because I see them different prices in different places. I've worked in stores, and the store usually sets the price. Shea Moisture might have raised the cost the stores now have to pay, if anything. However, it's just as likely that the stores in your area just decided to raise the prices (they notice what each other charge for things, and try to stay competitive).The prices aren't universally higher. In my area prices on Shea Moisture have not increased; it's still around ten dollars. If you can get the same results at a cheaper price, then you should do that. But don't get mad at Shea Moisture for something that might not be their fault.
Fine Texture, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity. Dyed to brown a few months ago.
Lowpoo:
Trader Joe's TTT Shampoo
Rinse Out:
Yes to Carrots, AOHR, Aubrey Organics Rosemary Peppermint
LI: Yes to Carrots
Stylers: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, LA Looks Sports, Suave Professionals Captivating Curls Whipped Mousse
In most cases, the manufacturer does set the "Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price" (MSRP) for their product. Seldom do most retailers set their price at this point, they set their prices to reflect their acceptable profit margin. Often you will see MSRP posted next to "Sale Prices" to make the savings seem larger than when posted next to "Regular Prices". Sometimes a retailer will even increase prices immediately before a sale so that when they advertise the "sale" prices, the savings will look larger. Often branch stores of chains do set their own prices which is why many retail outlets don't show prices for some items on internet sites, because they won't always be the same within the chain. You can always check other retailers to see if they all show the same markup you have seen recently.
Jo Somebody likes this.
Be Happy!

Type:2b/3ab?
Texture:Medium/fine
Porosity:Normal
Elasticity:Normal

Experimenting with too many products to name here. All this great info keeps my head spinning.
I know that and thank u. I have decided to explore other natural products that will condition the hair as well as SM at a lower price.
MaurineF likes this.
I don't see anything wrong with raising the price of a product. Nothing wrong with wanting to grow your business. If you ask for a raise on your job are you being greedy? Shea Moisture reasonably priced to me, but if $10 is your tipping point, then just move on to another brand.
“Mama says pretty comes in all different sizes. And my size… is cute!” -Honey Boo Boo
I don't see anything wrong with raising the price of a product. Nothing wrong with wanting to grow your business. If you ask for a raise on your job are you being greedy? Shea Moisture reasonably priced to me, but if $10 is your tipping point, then just move on to another brand.
Originally Posted by happyface
I've already said I'm moving on so your point is moot.
I don't see anything wrong with raising the price of a product. Nothing wrong with wanting to grow your business. If you ask for a raise on your job are you being greedy? Shea Moisture reasonably priced to me, but if $10 is your tipping point, then just move on to another brand.
Originally Posted by happyface
I've already said I'm moving on so your point is moot.
Originally Posted by GoldenBlaze
I can still state my opinion. You over here trying to shame this company so I can state why I don't think there is anything wrong with what they may or may not have done.
MaurineF likes this.
“Mama says pretty comes in all different sizes. And my size… is cute!” -Honey Boo Boo
I don't see anything wrong with raising the price of a product. Nothing wrong with wanting to grow your business. If you ask for a raise on your job are you being greedy? Shea Moisture reasonably priced to me, but if $10 is your tipping point, then just move on to another brand.
Originally Posted by happyface
I've already said I'm moving on so your point is moot.
Originally Posted by GoldenBlaze
I can still state my opinion. You over here trying to shame this company so I can state why I don't think there is anything wrong with what they may or may not have done.
Originally Posted by happyface
Aint nobody trying to shame nothing. U just trying to start some mess like a school aged child. *neck roll* Well I guess u toooold me... LMAO

I've already said I'm moving on so your point is moot.
Originally Posted by GoldenBlaze
I can still state my opinion. You over here trying to shame this company so I can state why I don't think there is anything wrong with what they may or may not have done.
Originally Posted by happyface
Aint nobody trying to shame nothing. U just trying to start some mess like a school aged child. *neck roll* Well I guess u toooold me... LMAO
Originally Posted by GoldenBlaze
Girl, this is a forum. We are free to come in and comment as we please. You are the one who chose to post this in the Hall of Shame section.
“Mama says pretty comes in all different sizes. And my size… is cute!” -Honey Boo Boo

I can still state my opinion. You over here trying to shame this company so I can state why I don't think there is anything wrong with what they may or may not have done.
Originally Posted by happyface
Aint nobody trying to shame nothing. U just trying to start some mess like a school aged child. *neck roll* Well I guess u toooold me... LMAO
Originally Posted by GoldenBlaze
Girl, this is a forum. We are free to come in and comment as we please. You are the one who chose to post this in the Hall of Shame section.
Originally Posted by happyface
Well comment then girrrrrrl.
SM is a great brand. The co. is Black owned & they use African imports for their Shea (the dollar stays in our hands a little while longer). So I'm all for them. I love kinky curly too for similar reasons, but their prices are steep (when my income increases I'll add them to my arsenal). At target SM is usually $9.99. Walgreens went up a little to $11.99 & CVS is starting at $10.99. I also noticed Nubian heritage (from the same parent company) is higher in price than SM. I refuse to pay $14 for a tube of anything. So they will have to fix that. There are other brands with similar products but SM is a high quality brand. My strategy is to shop for SM during bogos only or at hair shows where they usually have 3 for $20. I stock up. Another option is the swap board.

Every teardrop is a waterfall
About my hair:
weekly shampoo-HE Honey I'm Strong
daily conditioner-HE Honey I'm Strong (use as li)
go to style-Pocahontas braids

Last edited by ss40; 09-24-2012 at 07:10 AM.
SM is a great brand. The co. is Black owned & they use African imports for their Shea (the dollar stays in our hands a little while longer). So I'm all for them. I love kinky curly too for similar reasons, but their prices are steep (when my income increases I'll add them to my arsenal). At target SM is usually $9.99. Walgreens went up a little to $11.99 & CVS is starting at $10.99. I also noticed Nubian heritage (from the same parent company) is higher in price than SM. I refuse to pay $14 for a tube of anything. So they will have to fix that. There are other brands with similar products but SM is a high quality brand. My strategy is to shop for SM during bogos only or at hair shows where they usually have 3 for $20. I stock up. Another option is the swap board.

Every teardrop is a waterfall
Originally Posted by ss40
I do love SM products but the spike in prices has made me want to also research about other good, less expensive natural hair products. I'm always rotating products, so that my hair won't become resistant, so its not a permanent departure for me. Right now I just have to be a little frugal in my spending and paying more than $10 can put a strain on me being a displaced employee. Thank you very much for your understanding and sincere input. My post wasn't to put down the quality of the brand, but to discuss the rise in prices. Have a great day and thanks again.

Trending Topics


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com