Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > Hall of Shame discussion

Like Tree54Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #41
 
Fifi.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 7,306
Default

^ And yes, that always comes from stylists with stick straight hair.
__________________
When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

Fifi.G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #42
 
adthomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,640
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox7275 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korkscrew View Post
Meanwhile, let's face it: because sebum easily coats straight hair strands, most hair under type 2c have dramatically oiler hair that actually needs some sort of sulfate-based shampoo, often on a regular basis. Those folks by-and-large are white or Asian. Just a fact. The mantra around these parts is that hair type doesn't matter. I disagree. When it matters, it does matter, but of course we now know there are other considerations as well, when it comes to wavy or curly hair.
Why would you debunk one stereotype then lay claim to a fact that is not a fact at all but an erroneous generalisation about other ethnic groups? Most type 1s and 2s or whites and Asians do not need a sulphate shampoo, there are many many many of us successfully using WEN, CO-washing, sulphate free shampoos successfully, you see us not just on NC but on other haircare forums, YouTube etc.

Sulphates can actually cause oilier scalps particularly in those with sensitive or eczematous type skins which is something plenty of 'pale faces' suffer from. Other surfactants can cleanse away excess sebum equally as effectively but without stripping the fatty acids that are within the skin itself. The extra sebum production is more likely if the scalp is assaulted with harsh sulphates daily which *seems* to be more common in caucasians than the black community.

Oftentimes those with looser wave patterns and/ or fine or thin hair prefer shampoo because they appreciate the volume that comes from changing the charge on the hair, or because they are loading up with greasy silicones to make their flat iron ravaged hair appear healthy, or because they are oiling their hair regularly as some immigrant Asian communities do.
I have read that excessive harsh shampooing can make oily scalp worse. People def should realize hair and scalp are two different animals. Mine were at odds most of my life. Because of my horrible flaking I grew up using TGel, head and shoulderd, dentorex all of which would cleanse my scalp but dry my hair out horribly. I didn't know the sulfates plus the mineral oil in the products I was using to put moisture back in my hair were worseningthe scalp problems. Bad Cycle. I could shampoo and two days later be covered in flakes and have to do it again. Teatree and shakakai have been a godsend. And you are right anyone can have scalp issues.
__________________
"More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them." - Harold J. Smith.
adthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:28 PM   #43
 
Korkscrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox7275 View Post

Why would you debunk one stereotype then lay claim to a fact that is not a fact at all but an erroneous generalisation about other ethnic groups? Most type 1s and 2s or whites and Asians do not need a sulphate shampoo, there are many many many of us successfully using WEN, CO-washing, sulphate free shampoos successfully, you see us not just on NC but on other haircare forums, YouTube etc.
Not sure which stereotype you think I'm trying to "debunk" Firefox, but what I've said doesn't contradict what you just said. Both things are true: Out of all the hair types, 1 and 2 tend to need sulfate shampoos more than other types due to relatively excess sebum. Sure, some don't need sulfate shampoo, but many if not most will complain about oily, flat hair if they don't use a surfectant at length. That's because the oil builds up for them ... and (to your statement), yes, some don't need to. I was addressing a general tendency.
Korkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #44
 
chupie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,970
Default

I think the whole "is it yours" thing is because I'd the use of extensions everywhere. Unread somewhere the whole Hollywood long hair thing probably only 10% are not extensions.
Korkscrew likes this.
chupie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #45
 
Fifi.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 7,306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chupie View Post
I think the whole "is it yours" thing is because I'd the use of extensions everywhere. Unread somewhere the whole Hollywood long hair thing probably only 10% are not extensions.
Yes it is. I've been asked that one when my hair is long.

No, I borrowed it from somebody else. I've got to return it by midnight or I will turn into a pumpkin.
chupie likes this.
__________________
When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

Fifi.G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #46
 
SweetSquatchii's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi.G View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chupie View Post
I think the whole "is it yours" thing is because I'd the use of extensions everywhere. Unread somewhere the whole Hollywood long hair thing probably only 10% are not extensions.
Yes it is. I've been asked that one when my hair is long.

No, I borrowed it from somebody else. I've got to return it by midnight or I will turn into a pumpkin.
HA! I should have used that line when I got asked! Heck, even I would get asked that question when my hair was down to the bottom of my back. Even when I used to straighten it all the time, I'd get people coming up and touching my hair, and asking if it was real.

It really just shows that it takes dedication to grow your hair long, and most people don't have the patience for it, so when they do see it long and healthy, they think, "That has to be fake."
__________________
2C, Medium/Fine, Low Porosity, High Density - CG since 5.19.12
Cowash: Burt's Bee's More Moisture Boabab
[B]Conditioner/LI: Nature's Gate Tea Tree Conditioner - I don't RO
Styling Products: KCCC, KY, Deva Arc AnGel, HESMU
SweetSquatchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:33 PM   #47
 
Korkscrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,882
Default

Another yes to the "Is that yours?" thing sometimes being about length. Got asked that a lot too when my hair was down to my waist (plus I just have an insane amount of hair for one head already). It honestly never bothered me but I can't say why not ... cause in principle it really does seem like an inconsiderate line of public inquiry IMO. Something akin to, "Lady, are those dentures?"
Korkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #48
 
adthomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,640
Default

MY hair is also very dense so maybe that and length cause me to get the question so much. Idk. In the beginning the is that all ur hair didn't bother me but a clerk at a gas station accused me of lying when she asked what kind of hair I had ie brand and I said my own.
I do sometimes wear shorter straight wigs and most people accept it as my hair yet question my curly hair as fake. That doesn't make sense if people accept black women as generally having tightly curly hair.
__________________
"More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them." - Harold J. Smith.
adthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #49
 
Korkscrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,882
Default

Sounds to me like that clerk was just jealous of your hair
Korkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #50
 
Fifi.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 7,306
Default

I've gotten questioned on the thickness of my hair as well. You are right, AT. It makes no sense when it comes to a wig being accepted or less likely to be questioned than your natural hair.

I am not one who offends easy. I am naturally sarcastic but I find it silly that people want to question (and keep pressing) these things. Really, I guess I find it sad that people have a hard time believing something on a person is real. Like Korkscrew said, it is a little like asking someone about their dentures. I don't walk up to women and ask if their boobs are real, or their nails. That's another one I get a lot (nails, not the boobs).
__________________
When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

Fifi.G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #51
 
Fifi.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 7,306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korkscrew View Post
Sounds to me like that clerk was just jealous of your hair
Yes it does.
__________________
When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

Fifi.G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:46 PM   #52
 
SweetSquatchii's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi.G View Post
I've gotten questioned on the thickness of my hair as well. You are right, AT. It makes no sense when it comes to a wig being accepted or less likely to be questioned than your natural hair.

I am not one who offends easy. I am naturally sarcastic but I find it silly that people want to question (and keep pressing) these things. Really, I guess I find it sad that people have a hard time believing something on a person is real. Like Korkscrew said, it is a little like asking someone about their dentures. I don't walk up to women and ask if their boobs are real, or their nails. That's another one I get a lot (nails, not the boobs).
Oh man... I get the boobs question a lot. Always in a bathroom, but I've had women ask me who my "doctor" was or if they're real. I'm always caught off guard. I've even had a woman reach out and touch them!! I actually had to slap her hand away, and tell her she was being rude. She then berated me about being selfish and not wanting to tell her who my doctor was until I started to leave the restroom.

I can't believe some people's lack of filter these days. No one thinks before they speak anymore.
__________________
2C, Medium/Fine, Low Porosity, High Density - CG since 5.19.12
Cowash: Burt's Bee's More Moisture Boabab
[B]Conditioner/LI: Nature's Gate Tea Tree Conditioner - I don't RO
Styling Products: KCCC, KY, Deva Arc AnGel, HESMU
SweetSquatchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:06 AM   #53
 
applesandafros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 326
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSquatchii View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi.G View Post
I've gotten questioned on the thickness of my hair as well. You are right, AT. It makes no sense when it comes to a wig being accepted or less likely to be questioned than your natural hair.

I am not one who offends easy. I am naturally sarcastic but I find it silly that people want to question (and keep pressing) these things. Really, I guess I find it sad that people have a hard time believing something on a person is real. Like Korkscrew said, it is a little like asking someone about their dentures. I don't walk up to women and ask if their boobs are real, or their nails. That's another one I get a lot (nails, not the boobs).
Oh man... I get the boobs question a lot. Always in a bathroom, but I've had women ask me who my "doctor" was or if they're real. I'm always caught off guard. I've even had a woman reach out and touch them!! I actually had to slap her hand away, and tell her she was being rude. She then berated me about being selfish and not wanting to tell her who my doctor was until I started to leave the restroom.

I can't believe some people's lack of filter these days. No one thinks before they speak anymore.
I am a pretty small person. 5'4 108 pounds but I have been blessed/cursed with ddd (yes that's 3 ds) breast. And I get so many people asking me if they're real. I wonder what happened to people's filters because that's sort of an inappropriate question to ask IMO.
__________________
Almost MBL Coils
spongy, low porosity, dense awesomeness

Shampoo: Curly Kinks Cleansing Cream
Rinse Out/Detangler Conditioner: Aussie Moist, V05 Strawberries and Cream, Suave Naturals Coconut
Leave in Conditioner: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa and Giovanni Direct Leave in
Styler: Eco Styler Krystal and Blue, Herbal Essence Totally Twisted Gel and Flax seed gel
Sealer: Grape seed oil
Deep Conditioner: Curl Junkie Repair Me
Protein Treatment: Karishma and Jamilla Henna
applesandafros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #54
 
Korkscrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,882
Default

Maybe it's me being naive - OK, it definitely is - but it floors me that someone, anyone, would go so far as to comment about or touch the boobies. Some folks take their lives in their own ******* hands because they're asking to get punched or worse. That bathroom lady could have been slapped w/a sexual assault suit
Hootenanny likes this.
Korkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #55
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korkscrew View Post
Not sure which stereotype you think I'm trying to "debunk" Firefox, but what I've said doesn't contradict what you just said. Both things are true: Out of all the hair types, 1 and 2 tend to need sulfate shampoos more than other types due to relatively excess sebum. Sure, some don't need sulfate shampoo, but many if not most will complain about oily, flat hair if they don't use a surfectant at length. That's because the oil builds up for them ... and (to your statement), yes, some don't need to. I was addressing a general tendency.
You completely misunderstood what I said. You debunk one stereotype (regarding differences between 'black' and 'white' hair and 'black' and 'white' products) yet YOU create or propagate another stereotype of wavy hair with the next breath. Your generalisation? That is a stereotype based on your erroneous assumptions, not based on scientific fact.

Do we really NEED it, based on what? Why do you imagine that to be a trueism, do you have any scientific studies backing up your claims? Nobody NEEDS a sulphate shampoo since humans evolved successfully without them, it's more than possibly to remove sebum or oil, even heavy build up with other surfactants. I oil the heck out of my hair - tablespoons at a time - yet do not use shampoo to remove it. I DO use a surfactant I use cationics, many other 1s and 2s use cationics or zwitterionics like cocoamidopropyl betaine.

Complaining about oily flat hair is a million miles from evidence for your claims of fact, for a start many commercial products (shampoo, conditioner, stylers) are heavy on silicones which tend to build up and will absolutely cause oily looking flat hair if overused. This greasiness is more obvious in fine, straight or pale coloured hair. Secondly, sulphates can trigger more sebum to be produced, so it's easy to get stuck in a vicious cycle of wash-grease-wash-grease.

Correlation is a long way from causation, that is a basic scientific premise. Reverse the arrows, 'naturally' greasy hair does not necessarily need harsh surfactants, harsh surfactants can CAUSE greasy hair. There is nothing 'natural' about the way most caucasians treat their hair and scalp, whether we talk diet and lifestyle or product selection.
__________________
2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG, growing out mechanical and chemical damage = breakage and very high porosity. Past armpit length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut
Treatments: Komaza Matani, coconut oil, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss ultimate volume, Inecto argan
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Boots Essentials gel
Experimenting with: going back to basics

Last edited by Firefox7275; 06-06-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Firefox7275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #56
 
Korkscrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,882
Default

I'm still unsure which two (exact) generalizations you're referring to that you think were contradictory. Please reference just the two things I said, side by side. Thanks.

... What works for you or doesn't, that's nothing I ever tried to debate.

I still stand by my opinion about the hair typing system. I'm basing my opinion on personal observations and experience and never claimed there was a specific scientific underpinning to any of it (that I can recall, anyway). If we disagree, we disagree.
Korkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:17 AM   #57
 
Fifi.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 7,306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSquatchii View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi.G View Post
I've gotten questioned on the thickness of my hair as well. You are right, AT. It makes no sense when it comes to a wig being accepted or less likely to be questioned than your natural hair.

I am not one who offends easy. I am naturally sarcastic but I find it silly that people want to question (and keep pressing) these things. Really, I guess I find it sad that people have a hard time believing something on a person is real. Like Korkscrew said, it is a little like asking someone about their dentures. I don't walk up to women and ask if their boobs are real, or their nails. That's another one I get a lot (nails, not the boobs).
Oh man... I get the boobs question a lot. Always in a bathroom, but I've had women ask me who my "doctor" was or if they're real. I'm always caught off guard. I've even had a woman reach out and touch them!! I actually had to slap her hand away, and tell her she was being rude. She then berated me about being selfish and not wanting to tell her who my doctor was until I started to leave the restroom.

I can't believe some people's lack of filter these days. No one thinks before they speak anymore.
That is just rude. Asking is odd/uncomfortable enough, but touching... No!

There is so much focus on looking at pictures of people (celebrities) and picking apart their every feature. Can you guess what type of surgery they had? Who was their surgeon? Etc, etc. I think some feel that it is perfectly natural to extend this in the day to day. I know breast implants, acrylic nails, and extensions are common, but come on! When it comes to a person standing in the bathroom, or at a register, it's none of your business.
adthomas and SweetSquatchii like this.
__________________
When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

Fifi.G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #58
 
SweetSquatchii's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi.G View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSquatchii View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi.G View Post
I've gotten questioned on the thickness of my hair as well. You are right, AT. It makes no sense when it comes to a wig being accepted or less likely to be questioned than your natural hair.

I am not one who offends easy. I am naturally sarcastic but I find it silly that people want to question (and keep pressing) these things. Really, I guess I find it sad that people have a hard time believing something on a person is real. Like Korkscrew said, it is a little like asking someone about their dentures. I don't walk up to women and ask if their boobs are real, or their nails. That's another one I get a lot (nails, not the boobs).
Oh man... I get the boobs question a lot. Always in a bathroom, but I've had women ask me who my "doctor" was or if they're real. I'm always caught off guard. I've even had a woman reach out and touch them!! I actually had to slap her hand away, and tell her she was being rude. She then berated me about being selfish and not wanting to tell her who my doctor was until I started to leave the restroom.

I can't believe some people's lack of filter these days. No one thinks before they speak anymore.
That is just rude. Asking is odd/uncomfortable enough, but touching... No!

There is so much focus on looking at pictures of people (celebrities) and picking apart their every feature. Can you guess what type of surgery they had? Who was their surgeon? Etc, etc. I think some feel that it is perfectly natural to extend this in the day to day. I know breast implants, acrylic nails, and extensions are common, but come on! When it comes to a person standing in the bathroom, or at a register, it's none of your business.
Exactly.
__________________
2C, Medium/Fine, Low Porosity, High Density - CG since 5.19.12
Cowash: Burt's Bee's More Moisture Boabab
[B]Conditioner/LI: Nature's Gate Tea Tree Conditioner - I don't RO
Styling Products: KCCC, KY, Deva Arc AnGel, HESMU
SweetSquatchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #59
 
adthomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,640
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSquatchii View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi.G View Post
I've gotten questioned on the thickness of my hair as well. You are right, AT. It makes no sense when it comes to a wig being accepted or less likely to be questioned than your natural hair.

I am not one who offends easy. I am naturally sarcastic but I find it silly that people want to question (and keep pressing) these things. Really, I guess I find it sad that people have a hard time believing something on a person is real. Like Korkscrew said, it is a little like asking someone about their dentures. I don't walk up to women and ask if their boobs are real, or their nails. That's another one I get a lot (nails, not the boobs).
Oh man... I get the boobs question a lot. Always in a bathroom, but I've had women ask me who my "doctor" was or if they're real. I'm always caught off guard. I've even had a woman reach out and touch them!! I actually had to slap her hand away, and tell her she was being rude. She then berated me about being selfish and not wanting to tell her who my doctor was until I started to leave the restroom.

I can't believe some people's lack of filter these days. No one thinks before they speak anymore.
Then there are those people who are too willing to share their business.
I was at a restaurant where a class reunion was going on. A woman a size 0 maybe less was there with triple D cup. She was so proud of her boob job she was going around the room encouraging people to feel. I was horrified someone could act like that in public. Not only was she super skinny but her a$$ was as flat as a washboard so she looked not proportioned.
__________________
"More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them." - Harold J. Smith.
adthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #60
 
SweetSquatchii's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adthomas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSquatchii View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi.G View Post
I've gotten questioned on the thickness of my hair as well. You are right, AT. It makes no sense when it comes to a wig being accepted or less likely to be questioned than your natural hair.

I am not one who offends easy. I am naturally sarcastic but I find it silly that people want to question (and keep pressing) these things. Really, I guess I find it sad that people have a hard time believing something on a person is real. Like Korkscrew said, it is a little like asking someone about their dentures. I don't walk up to women and ask if their boobs are real, or their nails. That's another one I get a lot (nails, not the boobs).
Oh man... I get the boobs question a lot. Always in a bathroom, but I've had women ask me who my "doctor" was or if they're real. I'm always caught off guard. I've even had a woman reach out and touch them!! I actually had to slap her hand away, and tell her she was being rude. She then berated me about being selfish and not wanting to tell her who my doctor was until I started to leave the restroom.

I can't believe some people's lack of filter these days. No one thinks before they speak anymore.
Then there are those people who are too willing to share their business.
I was at a restaurant where a class reunion was going on. A woman a size 0 maybe less was there with triple D cup. She was so proud of her boob job she was going around the room encouraging people to feel. I was horrified someone could act like that in public. Not only was she super skinny but her a$$ was as flat as a washboard so she looked not proportioned.
Hahaha! Oh boy those are the ones that are train wrecks and you just can't look away!
__________________
2C, Medium/Fine, Low Porosity, High Density - CG since 5.19.12
Cowash: Burt's Bee's More Moisture Boabab
[B]Conditioner/LI: Nature's Gate Tea Tree Conditioner - I don't RO
Styling Products: KCCC, KY, Deva Arc AnGel, HESMU
SweetSquatchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Trending Topics[-]hide

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com