Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > Hall of Shame discussion

Like Tree36Likes
  • 4 Post By Chevelure
  • 3 Post By curlypearl
  • 4 Post By bobby
  • 6 Post By Samanthascurlz
  • 5 Post By Korkscrew
  • 2 Post By Samanthascurlz
  • 1 Post By bobby
  • 3 Post By curlicious13
  • 2 Post By caramix3a
  • 2 Post By curlicious13
  • 1 Post By bobby
  • 1 Post By Corrina777
  • 1 Post By Cluekeeper
  • 1 Post By paula57

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 08:34 AM   #1
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 101
Default NYTimes To Curlies: Drop Dead

The New York Times ran a piece, "Taming Summer Curls." Only three products are listed, and two are for straightening hair. Now if they can run product pieces on how to fake a tan in which they sample several products, they can take the trouble to research new products for curlies that work.

It's disturbing how they don't get it. In their view, if you don't have straight hair you must want straight hair or you don't exist.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/27/fa...urls.html?_r=0
Chevelure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,346
Default

This article really irritated me.
__________________
2/c and some 3A. Modified CG.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
Best 1st day method: Super Soaker
Conditioners: Curl Junkie Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner,
Deep condish: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab
Stylers: Experimenting with cones & sulfates while the dews are high. Sometimes try roller sets - classic glamor but I prefer my curls.
Every day is a gift
curlypearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:46 AM   #3
 
bobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 581
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlypearl View Post
This article really irritated me.
All I gotta say is, "it sucks to be them."
__________________
2B always with potential of white man's fro

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...-my-album.html

"Curls aren't just for girls"
bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #4
 
Samanthascurlz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,052
Default

I rock my frizz and I don't care!
__________________
High Porosity, Fine, Thin Density, Low Elasticity

Curls
Samanthascurlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #5
 
Korkscrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,882
Default

Disgusting. And yet (devil's advocate):

If more curly folks began accepting their hair (like we do), the Times and other publications wouldn't feel perfectly comfortable writing articles like this. For every one of us (curl-embracing curlies), I run into ten more who are quick to agree w/straighties that their curls are horrible and all they want is straightened hair.

When 60%+ of the population has non-straight hair and maybe 80% of those wavy/curly people support straightening products, The NYT is (sadly) playing up the products that most curly-haired people are interested in buying. They are catering to what most of their target audience wants.

Too many straight-haired folks have said things to me like, "Your hair is amazing, but you probably hate it, right?" Why do they say that? Oh yeah, because too many curlies actually do respond to curly compliments by saying they hate their hair ... I think we need to own that a lot of our curly kinfolk are the reason these straightening articles exist and work. At the same time, thank goodness we're upset about it because it does need to change.
Korkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #6
 
Samanthascurlz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,052
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korkscrew View Post
Disgusting. And yet (devil's advocate):

If more curly folks began accepting their hair (like we do), the Times and other publications wouldn't feel perfectly comfortable writing articles like this. For every one of us (curl-embracing curlies), I run into ten more who are quick to agree w/straighties that their curls are horrible and all they want is straightened hair.

When 60%+ of the population has non-straight hair and maybe 80% of those wavy/curly people support straightening products, The NYT is (sadly) playing up the products that most curly-haired people are interested in buying. They are catering to what most of their target audience wants.

Too many straight-haired folks have said things to me like, "Your hair is amazing, but you probably hate it, right?" Why do they say that? Oh yeah, because too many curlies actually do respond to curly compliments by saying they hate their hair ... I think we need to own that a lot of our curly kinfolk are the reason these straightening articles exist and work. At the same time, thank goodness we're upset about it because it does need to change.
That is definitely a great perspective. It is some of those curlies, who don't like their hair, that will further reinforce businesses to advocate how to 'change' their hair and go straight. Very good point!
Korkscrew and bobby like this.
__________________
High Porosity, Fine, Thin Density, Low Elasticity

Curls
Samanthascurlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:47 AM   #7
 
bobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 581
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samanthascurlz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korkscrew View Post
Disgusting. And yet (devil's advocate):

If more curly folks began accepting their hair (like we do), the Times and other publications wouldn't feel perfectly comfortable writing articles like this. For every one of us (curl-embracing curlies), I run into ten more who are quick to agree w/straighties that their curls are horrible and all they want is straightened hair.

When 60%+ of the population has non-straight hair and maybe 80% of those wavy/curly people support straightening products, The NYT is (sadly) playing up the products that most curly-haired people are interested in buying. They are catering to what most of their target audience wants.

Too many straight-haired folks have said things to me like, "Your hair is amazing, but you probably hate it, right?" Why do they say that? Oh yeah, because too many curlies actually do respond to curly compliments by saying they hate their hair ... I think we need to own that a lot of our curly kinfolk are the reason these straightening articles exist and work. At the same time, thank goodness we're upset about it because it does need to change.
That is definitely a great perspective. It is some of those curlies, who don't like their hair, that will further reinforce businesses to advocate how to 'change' their hair and go straight. Very good point!
Korkscrew, you REALLY nailed it here. As much as I disagree with elements of society trying to get people to conform to a certain way, I think the natural curlies (even wavies) that choose to straighten their hair are also enablers for stories like the NYT and let's face it, NYT has a lot of influence. Samanthacurlz, it's good that you are embracing yours at a young age. If I did it, my curls would be even better than now but you live and learn. Well said, Korkscrew.
Korkscrew likes this.
__________________
2B always with potential of white man's fro

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...-my-album.html

"Curls aren't just for girls"
bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:11 AM   #8
 
GroYoFro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 237
Default

oooooooooohhhhh wow......

The ignorance never ceases to amaze me......
__________________
"Life is too short to keep your hair short"

Click here to visit - GRO YO FRO!
GroYoFro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:04 AM   #9
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,176
Default

It's so sad that straight hair is the standard of beauty. It angers me that even today we still let the media and society define beauty for us. I can't wait for the day when media and society will embrace natural beauty, but won't hold my breathe.
curlicious13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #10
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 376
Default NYTimes To Curlies: Drop Dead

Ugh. Same old same old, even in these times when there are starting to be more types of beauty.
They make it sound like "frizz" is the worst thing in the world. I guess in their eyes anything that's not straight is "frizzy". One example of "enabling" that is mentioned here I actually witnessed at my old hair cutter in Santa Fe when I lived there. A Hispanic woman with curls to die for, wanted her hair blown dry after her haircut by my cutter who was quite good BTW. Both he and I piped up and told her that her curls were beautiful just as they were, but she said she "wasn't ready" to wear her hair curly, so she got it blown dry anyway.
Basically, I pay extremely little attention to so-called curly hair articles in magazines because often they're not even using people with true waves and curls to begin with. Or they'll make a big deal about some curly hair style coming up, and one turns the page and sees someone who has obviously had the curling iron on her straight hair to add a few very loose waves.
Believe me, like many here, I went through my own curl-hating period, before wising up to accept my textures, but that was when I was a lot younger. I found a good curly hair cutter when in my mid-20s and never looked back. I'm now 66, and if anyone tells me at my age that curly hair is not appropriate, you know exactly how far that will go. 'Nuf said!
Korkscrew and curlypearl like this.
caramix3a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #11
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,176
Default

Caramix3a I agree. Curls can be beautiful & hope one day people will embrace their hair the way it is.
Korkscrew and bobby like this.
curlicious13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:32 AM   #12
 
bobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 581
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlicious13 View Post
Caramix3a I agree. Curls can be beautiful & hope one day people will embrace their hair the way it is.
And what curlies who opt to straighten their don't realize is that it actually takes longer to straighten. When I first started growing my hair out eight years ago I'd blow dry it and use the round styling brush but I found that took too longer. I only go that route if I need to look more polished say for a job interview otherwise, it's all about rockin' the curls.
Korkscrew likes this.
__________________
2B always with potential of white man's fro

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...-my-album.html

"Curls aren't just for girls"
bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #13
 
Corrina777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,427
Default

I've worn my hair curly for my entire life. But I realize that some people choose to straighten their hair, just as some people with straight hair choose to get perms. It's just as wrong for us to go on a tirade about curlies straightening their hair as it is for society to go on a tirade about us choosing to wear our curls with pride. The whole idea is to allow people to feel free to wear their hair how they choose to wear it. So the NYT piece included options for curls and for straightening curls. I'm not trying to play devil's advocate, but as one of the previous posters mentioned, the article was designed to give their audience what they wanted.
ButterCurl likes this.
__________________

3a/f/iii Before the chop- Donated to Locks of Love, January 2013
Modified CG since 11/5/11
CO-WASH: VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea Clarifying, DevaCare No-Poo
CLARIFY: CHS Treatment Shampoo (used prior to PT/DT)
RO: DevaCare One Condition, Regis Olive Oil
LI: Cure Care, As I Am Leave-In
STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Biotera Gel, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, GVP Liquid Sculpting Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier and Strong Hold Mousse
PT/DT: IAGirl's PT, One n' Only Argan Hydrating Mask
Corrina777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:23 PM   #14
 
Cluekeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 92
Default Mermaid hair

I hate articles like this. I have beautiful nieces who have the most beautiful curls! I tell them all the time how beautiful they are with those curls and ringlets. I was having a hard time convincing my 6 year old niece that her curls were super special (because her mom straightens her hair....grrrr). She told me that she wanted to have straight hair like mommy. I sighed to myself. But, as luck would have it, I looked over and saw my Hans Christian Anderson's Little Mermaid book. I grabbed the book and showed her the pictures of the mermaid with her beautiful curls. I asked her to think about it, how many mermaids have you seen WITHOUT curls? She thought about it...and said none! I said EXACTLY. And then I whispered in her ear, that legend has it there was a mermaid in our family many years ago. And that maybe that's why her mom's hair is curly, my hair is curly, and why she and her sister have curly hair....because we may very well be part mermaid. She looked up and me and gave me the HUGEST smile. Mission Accomplished!
Firefox7275 likes this.
__________________
3a, thin, growing out as far as i can before i go insane and chop it!

Co-Wash: Cure Care
Conditioner: EVOO hot oil from the kitchen
DT: Joico K Pak
Stylers: CG Mousse of some sort, usually HE or Clairol 3-in-1 if I can find it!

Then Diffuse until about 75% dry, then air dry the rest of the way**

Last edited by Cluekeeper; 07-15-2013 at 04:58 PM. Reason: grammar boo boo
Cluekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:53 PM   #15
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,176
Default

Cluekeeper that is a cute story. Yes mission accomplished.
curlicious13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #16
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1
Default There will be a different article ....

promoting curl enhancing, volumizing and texturizing products next week, because the bottom line is WE AREN'T GOOD ENOUGH. Think of the billions that are made convincing us that our natural hair texture and color isn't attractive, that not only do we need cosmetics, we need daytime and evening looks, etc. Some styles of SPANX come in extra-smalls! We feel like our shoes have to match our outfit and our bag has to match our shoes and we have to dress in the seasons latest colors and styles, which change every year. Why? BECAUSE WE AREN'T GOOD ENOUGH.

I think it's just more of the industry ******** which is ultimately about making $$$ and lots of them. Sure,men spend money on clothes and hair products, even plastic surgery, but nothing like women do.

Check out this video about how women talk about themselves. NSFW

A Female Comedian Made A Public Service Announcement For Women. Watch It, Then Watch Yourself.
Samanthascurlz likes this.
paula57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:56 AM   #17
 
Samanthascurlz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,052
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paula57 View Post
promoting curl enhancing, volumizing and texturizing products next week, because the bottom line is WE AREN'T GOOD ENOUGH. Think of the billions that are made convincing us that our natural hair texture and color isn't attractive, that not only do we need cosmetics, we need daytime and evening looks, etc. Some styles of SPANX come in extra-smalls! We feel like our shoes have to match our outfit and our bag has to match our shoes and we have to dress in the seasons latest colors and styles, which change every year. Why? BECAUSE WE AREN'T GOOD ENOUGH.

I think it's just more of the industry ******** which is ultimately about making $$$ and lots of them. Sure,men spend money on clothes and hair products, even plastic surgery, but nothing like women do.

Check out this video about how women talk about themselves. NSFW

A Female Comedian Made A Public Service Announcement For Women. Watch It, Then Watch Yourself.
I agree, it's not just hair, it's other things too. No matter what, we are constantly told that something always needs to be changed, like your examples. It then further inhibits an individual to never truly be happy with themselves.
__________________
High Porosity, Fine, Thin Density, Low Elasticity

Curls
Samanthascurlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Trending Topics[-]hide

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com