Straight hair is prettier..white people are prettier??

Like Tree1Likes

Think of all the straight and wavy-haired women who permed their hair in the 80s. Hairstyles come and go.
Originally Posted by Malory
I agree. Some people might see it as a race issue, but I'm sure there's plenty of people with straight hair who just think it's the cool thing to do! If it was a race issue, then curls would never have been popular in the 80's! (Unless society is more racist now than it was in the 80's!)
Banned
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 583
Think of all the straight and wavy-haired women who permed their hair in the 80s. Hairstyles come and go.
Originally Posted by Malory
I agree. Some people might see it as a race issue, but I'm sure there's plenty of people with straight hair who just think it's the cool thing to do! If it was a race issue, then curls would never have been popular in the 80's! (Unless society is more racist now than it was in the 80's!)
Originally Posted by girl_geek
A lot of those "perms" from the 80's were actually used to loosen up the curl, like the jheri curl, often to create the illusion of "good hair."
I think it's hard to ignore the race connection.
Some of the beauty trends in America and around the world have something to do with colonialism. Once upon the time, the more visibly white/European you were, the better treatment you received and the more legal rights you tended to have. I(Just look at magazines and beauty pageants geared toward Indians, Latin Americas and American Hispanics -- most everyone is white or slightly tan and have "white" features.) In some places, like many areas in America, African blood, no matter how little, meant that you had no rights. So I do agree with PinkMariposa that some of this racism and self-hatred by people of color and the subconcious racial hierarchy (sp?) that exists is because of this. At the same time, being white does not equal being beautiful. This is the craziness that is left over from our world's history.

I also agree with BugEyeZ that acceptance of your physical beauty should be found within yourself -- not by external sources. To not do this means to never feel secure no matter how physically beautiful you really are.
3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed

Last edited by multicultcurly; 04-16-2008 at 03:10 AM. Reason: forgot something
To answer KurliKink, I am naturally a 3b and visibly a person of color and had a time when my hair was damaged and looked like unhealthy 4b. No I didn't like it and I wouldn't want to ever have 4b hair again. I didn't know what to do with it and I looked like a completely different person. I wanted to look like myself, especially because I actually like my hair's versatility, look and feel. Though I don't think people with 4b should change the way their healthy hair is, I was shocked by the number of people who disrespected me when my hair was that way. I had a co-worker say something like, "Her (another co-worker) hair looked as bad as yours." People would come up to me and suggest relaxers or ask why my face looked the way it did but I had that type of hair with a look of disgust. So I definitely think that there is some type of subconcious prejudice when it comes to kinky hair, more so than curly hair.

As a usually visibly multiracial/ethnically ambiguous looking person, I do think that many people find it beautiful because not many other people look like you or you fit the stereotype of exotic beauty.
3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
YES!!! Straight hair is MUCH better!! When Rihanna first got her haircut she NEVER LOOKED BETTER!!! She is my idol now, and I try to get my hair to be just like hers but my hair kind of does what it wants and I ALWAYS look like I just rolled out of bed. When I try to just blow dry and straighten it, I look like a freaking poodle on steroids!!! When I attempt to use gel, I look like one of the greasers like you see on TV and in old movies like The Outsiders. My hair looks HORRIBLE with curls!! but i can't post any pics though, b/c if you saw it, your eyes would bleed!!!
Banned
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 583
YES!!! Straight hair is MUCH better!! When Rihanna first got her haircut she NEVER LOOKED BETTER!!! She is my idol now, and I try to get my hair to be just like hers but my hair kind of does what it wants and I ALWAYS look like I just rolled out of bed. When I try to just blow dry and straighten it, I look like a freaking poodle on steroids!!! When I attempt to use gel, I look like one of the greasers like you see on TV and in old movies like The Outsiders. My hair looks HORRIBLE with curls!! but i can't post any pics though, b/c if you saw it, your eyes would bleed!!!
Originally Posted by horridly_fluffy_poodle
Well I disagree that straight hair is better obviously...and I think rihanna has always worn her hair straight, probably because she is ashamed of her heritage...that would explain the lighter hair color and the colored contacts as well.
YES!!! Straight hair is MUCH better!! When Rihanna first got her haircut she NEVER LOOKED BETTER!!! She is my idol now, and I try to get my hair to be just like hers but my hair kind of does what it wants and I ALWAYS look like I just rolled out of bed. When I try to just blow dry and straighten it, I look like a freaking poodle on steroids!!! When I attempt to use gel, I look like one of the greasers like you see on TV and in old movies like The Outsiders. My hair looks HORRIBLE with curls!! but i can't post any pics though, b/c if you saw it, your eyes would bleed!!!
Originally Posted by horridly_fluffy_poodle
I'm confused. Are you saying that straight hair looks better on Rhianna and you or are you saying that everyone looks good with straight hair? If you're saying the latter, then I disagree. IMO, most people w/ naturally curly hair look better with wavy or curly hair versus sleek and straight. Examples are Keri Russell, Sheryl Crow, Julia Louis-Dreyfuss.
3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
LOL that was an interesting first post on a forum for curly hair support. Rhianna fan sites are over there somewhere ---->
Keikok said:

Well I disagree that straight hair is better obviously...and I think rihanna has always worn her hair straight, probably because she is ashamed of her heritage...that would explain the lighter hair color and the colored contacts as well.[/quote]

How do you know that those "contacts" aren't her natural eye color? I don't think that she is ashamed of her heritage; I've never heard or seen her act like she was. I've also only seen her w/ dark hair and I think it suits her. BTW, I'm not attacking you; I'm just curious why you think that.
3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed

Last edited by multicultcurly; 04-23-2008 at 07:27 PM. Reason: messed up the quote :-(
Banned
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 583
Keikok said:

Well I disagree that straight hair is better obviously...and I think rihanna has always worn her hair straight, probably because she is ashamed of her heritage...that would explain the lighter hair color and the colored contacts as well.
Originally Posted by multicultcurly
How do you know that those "contacts" aren't her natural eye color? I don't think that she is ashamed of her heritage; I've never heard or seen her act like she was. I've also only seen her w/ dark hair and I think it suits her. BTW, I'm not attacking you; I'm just curious why you think that. [/quote]

Just look at a picture of her
http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-imag...rihanna460.jpg
yes shes attractive, but no her hair doesn't come out of her head like that (I like how her hairline was NOT included in this picture) and her eyes change color in different pictures although they're NEVER brown...heaven forbid
Keikok -- let's agree to disagree. LOL It's obvious that Rihanna's hair is not naturally as straight as she wears it. I honestly don't think her hair is as thick either, but then again, most entertainers don't wear their hair in its natural state -- Britney Spears (extensions), Nicolette Sheridan and Paris Hilton (both have fine hair that takes forever to grow so they add extensions for length and thickness),Nicole Kidman, Roselyn Sanchez (natural curly), Thandie Newton (naturally curly and/or kinky) and almost every singer/actress who has dominant black/African ancestry. I've never been to Barbados, but almost every person I've seen from there who is black or partially black wears their hair super straight, so maybe it's more of a cultural norm for Rihanna than a "I-hate-myself" type of thing.
3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
LOL that was an interesting first post on a forum for curly hair support. Rhianna fan sites are over there somewhere ---->
Originally Posted by Riot Crrl
I was thinking the same thing. What the?! I'm half way wondering if that post was by the Millionaire Matchwitch or one of Oprah's people...ridiculous.


Last edited by shycurl; 04-24-2008 at 10:13 PM.
Anyone who read my introductory post knows I'm a former-curly who lost the curls after childbirth. Nor could I keep a perm for some reason. My oldest is 16, and I finally decided to try a perm again. It took and I'm happier than I've been in a very long time.

With that said, I've had some very interesting reactions over the last few weeks since I suddenly got curly. My immediate family and closest friends love it and are very complimentary. I do look younger, the curls do fit my face well, and it's very clear just looking at me that I'm "meant" to have curly hair. The straight pseudo-wavey thing I had going on was clearly not a natural look for me.

The truly interesting responses have come from other friends, people at the stores and restaurants I frequent (small town, everyone knows everyone) and places like that. There's usually a compliment, "you look younger/happier/like you've lost weight/whatever" followed by an expression of horror or sympathy or something for the "difficulty of caring for a rat's nest," or the "hassle of tangles" I "must face," or some variation on that theme. It's been very weird.

I live in a very "white" area. Again, small town. At CVS today while looking in the hair-care aisle, I was checking out some of the various products available. A woman I sort of know was picking up shampoo and saw where I was looking. She leaned close and said, "you don't need that stuff, it's for blacks you know, and you don't want your hair any kinkier like them."

WTF???????????????????

I turned to her and said, "if using stuff that's for 'blacks' or being like 'them' is undesirable, why do you spend so much money trying to be darker? How much did you blow at the tanning spa this week?" She looks like a crispy critter from hell. Wrinkled, leathery and super ridiculously tan, what a lovely combination.

Yeah, this is what I don't get about the "caucasian ideal." If being white is such a beauty standard, why aren't the whale-belly whites like me considered the ultimate in beauty, while everyone else stops supporting a billion-dollar tanning industry so they can get darker? Friggin' hypocrites like the punk kids in pickup trucks with rebel flag stickers in the back next to their gun rack pulling up outside the tanning spa.

Me, personally? I find darker skin and hair absolutely beautiful. Real dark skin, not the crap painted on with chemicals and certainly not the crap created by sticking yourself in a cancer-causing oven for 15 minutes at a time.

We're a country of hypocrites. We've got this false ideal of sleek, straight hair as being beautiful - because it's more "white"? - and yet we're coveting the dark skin of our fellow man while ignoring their natural look as true beauty. So many people paying thousands of dollars to obtain a look they covet, a look natural to a racial group those same people otherwise disdain. WTF is up with that?

I probably didn't say any of this as well as I'd have liked to, and I apologize in advance for this. Please ask me to clarify my statements if they don't make sense. My encounter today has left me feeling seriously pissed off and that's probably not the best time to post.
Mycla's Mad-Scientist Laboratory currently includes:
  • Suave Naturals Fresh Mountain Strawberry Conditioner (Co-wash)
  • Trader Joe's Refresh Shampoo (for occasional clarifying)
  • Trader Joe's Refresh Conditioner (Co-wash, or condition and maybe leave-in)
  • Biolage Conditioning Balm (Condition and leave-in)
  • Herbal Essences Set Me Up Spray Gel
  • Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Curl Scrunching Gel
  • Microfiber towel for plopping
Stuff to add to the Laboratory:
  • Oyin Greg Juice
  • Biotera Curl Cream
I don't think straight hair is prettier than my curly hair, but I must admit that I do feel trendier when I straighten my hair. Curly hair just doesn't seem to be cutting edge right now and hasn't really been since the 80s.
I don't think straight hair is prettier than my curly hair, but I must admit that I do feel trendier when I straighten my hair. Curly hair just doesn't seem to be cutting edge right now and hasn't really been since the 80s.
Originally Posted by erinker74


I have to say that I disagree with that Erinker. I know that different styles are "in" or "out" depending on where you are in the country. However, by and large curly hair is pretty popular again in many areas. I think the recent popularity of curly hair is pretty evident in the number of women with naturally curly hair embracing their natural style. There are a lot of women in many parts of the country who have gone back to perming their hair, or getting curly extensions. I would also say that curly hair is starting to become as popular as it was back in the 80's in certain parts of the country. Where I live I'm seeing a lot of women wearing their hair curly, whether their hair is natural or permed.

I think one of the reasons why there is an increasing popularity with curly hair is because most of the perms today are far less damaging and much more manageable then the terrible perms that you saw in the 80's. I think websites like this one have encouraged a lot of women with naturally wavy/curly hair like me to embrace their real hair. Plus, I think a lot of women got bored with the huge craze in stick straight hairstyles.
We're a country of hypocrites. We've got this false ideal of sleek, straight hair as being beautiful - because it's more "white"? - and yet we're coveting the dark skin of our fellow man while ignoring their natural look as true beauty. So many people paying thousands of dollars to obtain a look they covet, a look natural to a racial group those same people otherwise disdain. WTF is up with that?
Originally Posted by Mycla_Curl

I think their argument would be not wanting to look "pale". But I agree, it's very twisted, because you know full well if those same people woke up with naturally brown skin and kinky hair, there'd be gnashing of teeth.
Fotki!
Last relaxer: Feb. 2008
Big Chop:
Jan. 2009
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 229
We're a country of hypocrites. We've got this false ideal of sleek, straight hair as being beautiful - because it's more "white"? - and yet we're coveting the dark skin of our fellow man while ignoring their natural look as true beauty. So many people paying thousands of dollars to obtain a look they covet, a look natural to a racial group those same people otherwise disdain. WTF is up with that?
Originally Posted by Mycla_Curl

I think their argument would be not wanting to look "pale". But I agree, it's very twisted, because you know full well if those same people woke up with naturally brown skin and kinky hair, there'd be gnashing of teeth.
Originally Posted by mixeded
Maybe they want to look Asian (im saying this as a curly haired Asian so dont get confused). I have to admit after my people suddenly turned into a huge fetish straight hair and dark skin were in and Asian was the new white.
-
< member since 2006. No idea where 1969 came from.

Last edited by eche428; 05-06-2008 at 08:34 AM. Reason: killed the thread :-(
I live in a very "white" area. Again, small town. At CVS today while looking in the hair-care aisle, I was checking out some of the various products available. A woman I sort of know was picking up shampoo and saw where I was looking. She leaned close and said, "you don't need that stuff, it's for blacks you know, and you don't want your hair any kinkier like them."

WTF???????????????????
Originally Posted by Mycla_Curl
Wow??? I know we have race issues in this country, but I am always shocked when I hear stuff like this.
Can we just be ourselves?? Embrace who you are completely --God doesn't make mistakes
That is so awful, Mycla_Curl. I'm so sorry you had to experience that. :hug:

As a biracial 3c curly girl in the deep south, I've experienced a lot of racism. (From whites and blacks, you name it. It's not just a white thing.) Unfortunately, I've recently heard a saying that I think might be fairly accurate here. "Tan is in, as long as the base coat is white."

I do think it's changing though. I just wish it was faster!
I have 3c hair that I haven't straightened in over 5 years. It's just past shoulder length when dry, and almost waist length when pulled straight.

Products:
9/02/08 Went CG
05/12/09 Still CG. Cowashing with VO5 Lavender Luster. I then condition with Giovanni Smooth as Silk. Styling with VO5 Lavender Luster conditioner with my wide-toothed comb.

http://public.fotki.com/QuirkyYogini/



Trending Topics


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com