Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > Hall of Shame discussion

Like Tree213Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 05:32 AM   #341
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlygreek63 View Post
I think it depends on what's popular wherever you are aswell, in greece almost every girl had curly hair so guys didn't really mind and many liked it, but in england I got a lot of rude comments and stares at my hair. It's very common to see greek models/actresses to have curly hair, whereas I remember seeing a ad on uk tv by dove and it was like "turn your frizzy, dry, unmanageable hair" (enter picture of girl with very curly hair) "into soft, silky and shiny hair" (enter straight haired girl) and I was like WTHH what makes society think curly hair can't be soft and pretty and shiny!? Many mediterranean boys and girls i've met love curly hair, I remember the first time I wore my hair curly to college i had one guy that kept repeating "bad hair day eh?" and various stares and comments on if I hadn't had time to straighten it or whatever, it was sooo annoying! I personally prefer curly hair on both sexes (and noo it's not just because I have it but because I think it's more interesting and as others mentioned, I really think curly hair says good things about your personality. As I mentioned before though, I think a big part of it has to do with what the norm is wherever you live.

P.S. Not hating on the uk, I love it here ^^
P.S.S. this is my first post from a newbie on here so take it easy on me :P
Hi I am Greek too ! You are the first Greek I found in this site
__________________
Curl Pattern: 3a mixed with 3b
Porosity:Low
Density:Medium to High
Width:Medium-Coarse
Length:Medium

CG Method since 25/6/13

Want to reach terminal length !
davidkaltsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:39 AM   #342
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdderm View Post
This is a topic that I find very frustrating because I have no idea as to why this is. The boyfriends that I've had just hated my hair curly. My current boyfriend always jokes and says "ahh my hands are stuck" whenever he puts his hands in my hair. My ex hated how curly hair looks and actually made it completely clear when I wore it curly to university once. It seems like whatever guy I meet doesn't like curly hair. I probably know like 2 who actually like curly hair out of like 50 guys I know. It really annoys me because I don't think it looks bad. If you tell me the only reason guys like straight hair is because they can put their fingers through it, is just being unreasonable. You can put fingers in curly hair just be more gentle. When I straighten my hair my boyfriend is like "yes! I love straight, I don't like curly..." Funny thing is he met me as a curly and has the nerve to say something about it? I am angered...
Well I disagree with you that it's guys that dont like curly hair.
I am a guy and I have long curly hair . Most of girls tell me that I should straighten my hair daily or that i should cut it .. and ONLY some girls tell me that they like my hair or that its sexy etc.
So its not guys who dont like curly hair . Its SOCIETY. Its OBVIOUS that society face curly hair as a PROBLEM more than a hairtype. . Thats really annoying because i think that curly hair is (usually) more beautiful and interesting than straight hair ...
__________________
Curl Pattern: 3a mixed with 3b
Porosity:Low
Density:Medium to High
Width:Medium-Coarse
Length:Medium

CG Method since 25/6/13

Want to reach terminal length !
davidkaltsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:29 AM   #343
 
Myrna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 2,351
Default

I remember melina kanakaredes from the show "Providence" who had long beautiful curly hair, and she is obviously Greek.

Ladies, I may have said this before. These guys who "dont like curly hair" are BOYS, not men. They shop at Abercrombie and go by what is touted in the media as cool. I am 61, and when I was single in my 50's, I got lots of compliments from men on my long curls - most women my age have short, straight hair. I remember one may telling me I have "party hair", which I believe was a compliment. Anyhow, it doesnt really matter. WE know that right now Madison avenue is trying to sell us the hype that straigt is good. Many years ago women were getting perms to have the kind of hair we all have. The guys who dont like curls are jerks. Would you ever tell a guy, I dont like your hair? You would not. And, in a decade or two, these guys will be glad if they have hair - of any kind - and will keep their rude words to themselve about your hair.
wavydaze and Blueblood like this.
Myrna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:59 AM   #344
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkaltsas View Post

Well I disagree with you that it's guys that dont like curly hair.
I am a guy and I have long curly hair . Most of girls tell me that I should straighten my hair daily or that i should cut it .. and ONLY some girls tell me that they like my hair or that its sexy etc.
So its not guys who dont like curly hair . Its SOCIETY. Its OBVIOUS that society face curly hair as a PROBLEM more than a hairtype. . Thats really annoying because i think that curly hair is (usually) more beautiful and interesting than straight hair ...
Long hair on a guy isn't the same as curly hair on a guy.

I don't like guys with long hair i.e. those whose hair is longer than collar length regardless whether their hair is straight or not, and quite a few women I know are also like this.

Curly on a guy can be impressive.
Blueblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #345
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblood View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkaltsas View Post

Well I disagree with you that it's guys that dont like curly hair.
I am a guy and I have long curly hair . Most of girls tell me that I should straighten my hair daily or that i should cut it .. and ONLY some girls tell me that they like my hair or that its sexy etc.
So its not guys who dont like curly hair . Its SOCIETY. Its OBVIOUS that society face curly hair as a PROBLEM more than a hairtype. . Thats really annoying because i think that curly hair is (usually) more beautiful and interesting than straight hair ...
Long hair on a guy isn't the same as curly hair on a guy.

I don't like guys with long hair i.e. those whose hair is longer than collar length regardless whether their hair is straight or not, and quite a few women I know are also like this.

Curly on a guy can be impressive.
Girl . you lost the point . They dont tease me because i have long hair but because i have curly hair.. well i think that disliking men with long hair is as bad as disliking people with curly hair . ITS CALLED STEREOTYPES. Ofc I accept your taste . Just sayin'
__________________
Curl Pattern: 3a mixed with 3b
Porosity:Low
Density:Medium to High
Width:Medium-Coarse
Length:Medium

CG Method since 25/6/13

Want to reach terminal length !
davidkaltsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #346
 
Korkscrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkaltsas View Post
Well I disagree with you that it's guys that dont like curly hair. I am a guy and I have long curly hair.
Both men and women with curly hair suffer these comments from both sexes.

Quote:
Most of girls tell me that I should straighten my hair daily or that i should cut it .. and ONLY some girls tell me that they like my hair or that its sexy etc.
So its not guys who dont like curly hair . Its SOCIETY. Its OBVIOUS that society face curly hair as a PROBLEM more than a hairtype. . Thats really annoying because i think that curly hair is (usually) more beautiful and interesting than straight hair ...
I'm glad you "talked" about the male side of this as well. I have no reason to think you're making this up, especially because I've known and witnessed too many men who've been teased about their hair, by both sexes, for various things they've done to it.

What hasn't been discussed here is the pressure men have on them to keep their hair cut very close to their heads - especially in the black community, where most guys have something akin to buzz cuts. In general, if any guy is bold enough to grow his hair beyond collar length, he's called all sorts of homophobic names (by both sexes) and some of these men are harassed or even beaten up. There's a limited range of "acceptability" when it comes to mens' hair cuts and styles, especially when the hair is curly.

Yep, men have a story to tell too and I think it's only fair that we hear them out also
Korkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #347
 
Korkscrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlygreek63 View Post
I really think curly hair says good things about your personality.
Oh wow brilliant observation ... You must be thinking of the Boston Bombers, the Son of Sam killer and about 75% of the Taliban ... Am I right?
Korkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #348
 
Ashleynicol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdderm View Post
This is a topic that I find very frustrating because I have no idea as to why this is. The boyfriends that I've had just hated my hair curly. My current boyfriend always jokes and says "ahh my hands are stuck" whenever he puts his hands in my hair. My ex hated how curly hair looks and actually made it completely clear when I wore it curly to university once. It seems like whatever guy I meet doesn't like curly hair. I probably know like 2 who actually like curly hair out of like 50 guys I know. It really annoys me because I don't think it looks bad. If you tell me the only reason guys like straight hair is because they can put their fingers through it, is just being unreasonable. You can put fingers in curly hair just be more gentle. When I straighten my hair my boyfriend is like "yes! I love straight, I don't like curly..." Funny thing is he met me as a curly and has the nerve to say something about it? I am angered...
I would never have dated someone who didn't like curly hair. A lot of men prefer curly hair, its sexy and wild. My husband always told me how much he loves my curls. He liked when I straightened it occasionally becuase it was different. But when I straightened it all the time he used to made comments about me "barbecuing" my hair and always hated the smell. He was excited when I started wearing it curly again.
Ashleynicol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #349
 
Johari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 664
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkaltsas View Post
Most of girls tell me that I should straighten my hair daily or that i should cut it .. and ONLY some girls tell me that they like my hair or that its sexy etc.
I never tell guys I love their hair esp when its long and or curly/wavy.
I stare and admire but I dont want to weird them out or them not take the compliment well.

Did that once and he didnt really care so it was awkward, then again i asked if his highlight were natural………the curls jus looks so good I had to ask! It was a classmate not a total stranger but still.

Sent from my C5155 using CurlTalk App
Johari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:55 AM   #350
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korkscrew View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkaltsas View Post
Well I disagree with you that it's guys that dont like curly hair. I am a guy and I have long curly hair.
Both men and women with curly hair suffer these comments from both sexes.

Quote:
Most of girls tell me that I should straighten my hair daily or that i should cut it .. and ONLY some girls tell me that they like my hair or that its sexy etc.
So its not guys who dont like curly hair . Its SOCIETY. Its OBVIOUS that society face curly hair as a PROBLEM more than a hairtype. . Thats really annoying because i think that curly hair is (usually) more beautiful and interesting than straight hair ...
I'm glad you "talked" about the male side of this as well. I have no reason to think you're making this up, especially because I've known and witnessed too many men who've been teased about their hair, by both sexes, for various things they've done to it.

What hasn't been discussed here is the pressure men have on them to keep their hair cut very close to their heads - especially in the black community, where most guys have something akin to buzz cuts. In general, if any guy is bold enough to grow his hair beyond collar length, he's called all sorts of homophobic names (by both sexes) and some of these men are harassed or even beaten up. There's a limited range of "acceptability" when it comes to mens' hair cuts and styles, especially when the hair is curly.

Yep, men have a story to tell too and I think it's only fair that we hear them out also
I agree with you. In my country 95% of men has a buzz cut .. When I was in middle school ALL kids were calling me a girl and my hair wasnt even really long...So I think that its way harder for a guy to have long and curly hair the same time .
__________________
Curl Pattern: 3a mixed with 3b
Porosity:Low
Density:Medium to High
Width:Medium-Coarse
Length:Medium

CG Method since 25/6/13

Want to reach terminal length !
davidkaltsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:42 AM   #351
 
Korkscrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,882
Default

Well good on you for striking out on your own and embracing your curls despite all the crazy pressure

The people I've met who have positive attitudes about curly, long hair on men usually have a near-fanatical love for it. I get the feeling this is similar for a lot of those who enjoy this look on women too.
Korkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:44 PM   #352
 
CurlyFries314's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 40
Default

Yeah I've definitely dealt with that before in the past when I was younger. Luckily my husband loves my hair natural. I was going to get it chemically straightened and be done with it, he told me that he thought that I shouldn't try to change who I am and I should be proud and wear it curly. He tells me all the time how much he loves it, I never straighten my hair anymore he calls them curly fries and that makes me smile
CurlyFries314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:57 AM   #353
 
Lady_Creole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlylaura View Post
Why are you going out with men that don't like a physical aspect of you? How long into the relationship do they let you know that they don't like your hair?
DITTO!
__________________
My hair is "exotic, beautiful and free",,,yeah, that be ME!!!
3B/3C - Easy to straighten, [no heat ever/no protect. styling].

Low Porosity/Medium Density
Mid Width/APL-stretched/
BC - 12/2012

I am a "Co-Wash/Finger Comb Lady!

Co-Wash - Tresemme' Naturals Conditioner
Scalp Cleanser - SM ABS Purification Hair Masque
Leave In - SM CH Curl/Shine Conditioner
Hydration - SM CH Curl Smoothie
Styler - KC Curling Custard - 1/4 prod + 3/4 purified water
Deep Conditioner - Deva Curl "Heaven In Hair"

Lady_Creole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:05 AM   #354
 
Lady_Creole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 284
Default

I am having the opposite experience...and it seems that more men of other nationalities are attracted to me...LOL!

When I did the BC, the first week when I went out...I was surprised at the reaction.

Mind you, I have dated all nationalities of men so I seem to be attractive to all types however what has been going on lately is crazy...LOL!

I was at the supermarket and as I stood on line for the checkout, the man in front of me kept turning arouns staring at me smiling. It became uncomfortable, [I am a but shy], so I started looking at the magazines but I could feel him looking at me, and see him in my peripheral vision. Finally, his wife/girlfriend walked up and say rather loudly "I'm back"...smh!

They seem to like my hair more than their female counterparts and since I am not "into" women like that, I ignore them and absorb all the "love" from the men...LOL!

Honey, change your environment and surround yourself with men that celebrate you!
SortaRican likes this.
__________________
My hair is "exotic, beautiful and free",,,yeah, that be ME!!!
3B/3C - Easy to straighten, [no heat ever/no protect. styling].

Low Porosity/Medium Density
Mid Width/APL-stretched/
BC - 12/2012

I am a "Co-Wash/Finger Comb Lady!

Co-Wash - Tresemme' Naturals Conditioner
Scalp Cleanser - SM ABS Purification Hair Masque
Leave In - SM CH Curl/Shine Conditioner
Hydration - SM CH Curl Smoothie
Styler - KC Curling Custard - 1/4 prod + 3/4 purified water
Deep Conditioner - Deva Curl "Heaven In Hair"

Lady_Creole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:37 AM   #355
 
DaniGirl88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,048
Default

My husband loves my curls. =)

He just has to learn to keep his hands out of them!
SortaRican likes this.
__________________


3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals
Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk
Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

Avatar is a product of this lovely lady: Ash The Painter on Tumblr


DaniGirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:27 AM   #356
 
Germanaija's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 43
Default

My boyfriend loves my curls, all my male friends love my curls, I recently bumped into an,ex who was,super surprised at my hair but said it was definitely a,good decision because, his exact words- natural is always better.

In my experience, men love curls and puffs lol. A guy my friend is dating told her he prefers it when she doesn't straighten her hair because he loves when he goes through her hair and his hands get caught on the naps lol.

Way I see it anyway, if I guy didn't like my hair or anything about me like that, it's "ok cya" and skip to the next. I come as I come, if you don't like it, move along to something you do like and I'll move along to somebody who loves me, tangles n all.

Sent from my C6903 using CurlTalk App
SortaRican likes this.
Germanaija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:57 AM   #357
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,176
Default

My male friends love my curly hair. Most men I encounter like my hair curly vs straight. Haven't encountered my ex but would be surprised to see the look on his face. He was the second to suggest I go natural. (He was 4c hair)
curlicious13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:29 PM   #358
 
SortaRican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 183
Default

What an interesting thread, I definitely plan on reading every single response lol.

I have never met a man (or young man back in my younger days) that didn't love curly hair. Most of them don't care for it when it's straight (which is rare). With that said, my fiance loves my curls, as he should, because when his hair is long it is equally as curly as mine. When we first met almost 10 years ago (waaaay before we started dating) he had long hair that he always wore back in a ponytail...he looked so Fabio-ish lol. When we actually started dating 4 years ago I convinced him to grow his hair back out......Mmmmm I loved it! but he has since cut it.

It's always been important that I be with a man who loves my curls mainly because I needed someone who loves me for me, especially when I wake up in the morning looking a hot mess with my crazy curls all over the place. My fiance can relate to my early morning curly problems because he goes through the same thing when his hair is long.

I have had the occasional unimportant guy tell me my hair looks better straight but I could care less. I have also been told at work that I look more professional when my hair is straight (whatever the hell that means! )
DaniGirl88 likes this.
__________________
3b/3c
Fine, Long, High Density, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Products
CoWash: AIA Coconut CoWash
RO: Tresemme Naturals
LI: GDLI
Styler: KCCC
SortaRican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:36 PM   #359
 
DaniGirl88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,048
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SortaRican View Post
What an interesting thread, I definitely plan on reading every single response lol.

I have never met a man (or young man back in my younger days) that didn't love curly hair. Most of them don't care for it when it's straight (which is rare). With that said, my fiance loves my curls, as he should, because when his hair is long it is equally as curly as mine. When we first met almost 10 years ago (waaaay before we started dating) he had long hair that he always wore back in a ponytail...he looked so Fabio-ish lol. When we actually started dating 4 years ago I convinced him to grow his hair back out......Mmmmm I loved it! but he has since cut it.

It's always been important that I be with a man who loves my curls mainly because I needed someone who loves me for me, especially when I wake up in the morning looking a hot mess with my crazy curls all over the place. My fiance can relate to my early morning curly problems because he goes through the same thing when his hair is long.

I have had the occasional unimportant guy tell me my hair looks better straight but I could care less. I have also been told at work that I look more professional when my hair is straight (whatever the hell that means! )
Your fiance's hair sounds awesome! I have met a few men that preferred straight hair, but I think that's mainly because I wouldn't let them play in my hair like other girls would (especially during school hours when I still had to wear it down, lol).

When I first started dating my husband (way back in high school) he would spend the night and at first, I was afraid of what my hair would look like in the morning. I used to sleep with a wrap and would put that on, but he didn't care either way. When I would wake up without having worn the cap, he would play with my hair and make comments about how he loved it.

I agree with you, if he does't love you for every part of you, he's not worth having around. I actually straightened my hair once and he didn't like it at all!

Also, I've seen people be discriminated for not having straight hair in the work place. This one lady actually didn't get the job because she didn't look "professional" enough and was rocking her natural curls.
__________________


3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals
Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk
Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

Avatar is a product of this lovely lady: Ash The Painter on Tumblr


DaniGirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:48 PM   #360
 
SortaRican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 183
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniGirl88 View Post
Your fiance's hair sounds awesome! I have met a few men that preferred straight hair, but I think that's mainly because I wouldn't let them play in my hair like other girls would (especially during school hours when I still had to wear it down, lol).

When I first started dating my husband (way back in high school) he would spend the night and at first, I was afraid of what my hair would look like in the morning. I used to sleep with a wrap and would put that on, but he didn't care either way. When I would wake up without having worn the cap, he would play with my hair and make comments about how he loved it.

I agree with you, if he does't love you for every part of you, he's not worth having around. I actually straightened my hair once and he didn't like it at all!

Also, I've seen people be discriminated for not having straight hair in the work place. This one lady actually didn't get the job because she didn't look "professional" enough and was rocking her natural curls.
Your husband sounds sweet and like a keeper . My fiance tries to play in my hair and I hate it sometimes I just let it go though b/c it seems like the right thing to do lol.

As far as the workplace goes, I understand professionalism to a degree. I mean I won't come in with crazy colored hair or piercings and tattoos everywhere because I know it's unacceptable in my work environment. Although, I have tattoos (but I am able to cover most of them up) and I'm too chicken to get any piercings anywhere other than my ears lol...I envy girls with sleeves and septum piercings. However, I wish someone would discriminate me because of my curly hair.....I can't help that I was born with unruly hair lol...It doesn't make me any more or any less of a hard worker.
DaniGirl88 likes this.
__________________
3b/3c
Fine, Long, High Density, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Products
CoWash: AIA Coconut CoWash
RO: Tresemme Naturals
LI: GDLI
Styler: KCCC
SortaRican is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Trending Topics[-]hide

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com