Ppl With Wavy Hair Think Its Curly. Am I the only one who's annoyed by this?

Like Tree22Likes

My hair is afro hair, but i referr to my hair as being coily, or kinky, simply b/c i like the names better and it sets me apart from being just curly and Sounds more afrocentric not so much curly and the fact that i actually do have definition in my hair, i might not have big huge coke can sized curls but my hair is still corkscrew pencil shaped curls. Its all in how you perceive your hair. some people even go as far to call their hair 'nappy'. some dont agree with that term, but if thats what you wanna call it, its your hair, you should know it best. Then you have those with a blend of kinks and actual curly hair . Just b/c you cant see the definition of curls doesnt mean its not there. Even afro hair with a Z pattern, has a pattern, like wavy hair does, its just so small that you cant see it. So i think it could be considered curly b/c definition and size of curls and coils doesnt determine if its actually curly or not.
Wavy hair is just extremely loose curls to me, they have some of the same problems as people with curly and kinky hair do so i dont see why they cant consider them curly.
I think its the 'problems' we all encounter with our hair that brings all the hair types together to this site.

Last edited by Samielle1; 02-15-2009 at 06:43 AM.
My hair is afro hair, but i referr to my hair as being coily, or kinky, simply b/c i like the names better and it sets me apart from being just curly and Sounds more afrocentric not so much curly and the fact that i actually do have definition in my hair, i might not have big huge coke can sized curls but my hair is still corkscrew pencil shaped curls. Its all in how you perceive your hair. some people even go as far to call their hair 'nappy'. some dont agree with that term, but if thats what you wanna call it, its your hair, you should know it best. Then you have those with a blend of kinks and actual curly hair . Just b/c you cant see the definition of curls doesnt mean its not there. Even afro hair with a Z pattern, has a pattern, like wavy hair does, its just so small that you cant see it. So i think it could be considered curly b/c definition and size of curls and coils doesnt determine if its actually curly or not.
Wavy hair is just extremely loose curls to me, they have some of the same problems as people with curly and kinky hair do so i dont see why they cant consider them curly.
I think its the 'problems' we all encounter with our hair that brings all the hair types together to this site.
Originally Posted by Samielle1
To the bolded: That doesn't make any sense. Saying stuff like that is one of the biggest reasons why there are delusional people when it comes to grade of hair. Its those same people who get "offended" or get their bubble popped when they finally learn the truth.

But, people like the original poster are "wrong" for stating her opinion.

Why is it so taboo to speak the truth?

Last edited by AlYubbi; 02-15-2009 at 06:14 PM.
double post

Last edited by Samielle1; 02-16-2009 at 11:14 AM. Reason: null
some kinky hair tends to have very small curls, sometimes you cant see unless you have alot of conditioner in it or some kind of lotion to make the curls appear. Even when you cant see an actual curl pattern doesnt mean kinky hair isnt curly.

Wtf are you talking about delusional? Sounds like ur the one getting offended not me, i was talking about MYSELF, ME, I. The way I(me) see my hair, not anyone elses. My hair is nappy/ kinky/coily, so what's there to be offended by if i dont even call myself curly? I was referring to someone else's post not the OP, so dont come on here talking about that which you know nothing about.

Anyways, as for wavy hair, i just see it as very loose curls. Like ur taking a coil of hair and stretching it until it forms a wave. Its a form of curly hair in my opinion. There's really no other direction to go if you dont have straight hair. If its not straight you have some form of a curl.

Last edited by Samielle1; 02-16-2009 at 11:18 AM.
some kinky hair tends to have very small curls, sometimes you cant see unless you have alot of conditioner in it or some kind of lotion to make the curls appear. Even when you cant see an actual curl pattern doesnt mean kinky hair isnt curly.

Wtf are you talking about delusional? Sounds like ur the one getting offended not me, i was talking about MYSELF, ME, I. The way I(me) see my hair, not anyone elses. My hair is nappy/ kinky/coily, so what's there to be offended by if i dont even call myself curly? I was referring to someone else's post not the OP, so dont come on here talking about that which you know nothing about.

Anyways, as for wavy hair, i just see it as very loose curls. Like ur taking a coil of hair and stretching it until it forms a wave. Its a form of curly hair in my opinion. There's really no other direction to go if you dont have straight hair. If its not straight you have some form of a curl.
Originally Posted by Samielle1
And once again, my previous post still speaks for itself. But also note, I can tell you didn't fully read it.
The topics expressed in this post remind me of a woman on another hair board whose hair appeared to be 4a/4b yet she kept swearing her hair was 3a (or maybe it was 2c - I can't really recall). Other members would kindly try to give her a wake-up call and correct her thinking (even linking her to a visual list of hair types), yet she still INSISTED that her hair was 3a. It was so bizarre to observe.


3b/c fine corkscrews and spirals. Naked hair above.


Wash: Elucence Moisture Balancing Shampoo
Condish: Shescentit Avocado/Honey Rinse
Moisture DT: Silk Dreams Vanilla Silk, Crece Pelo
Protein DT: Shescentit Okra Hair Repair Reconstructor
Leave-Ins: Shescentit Coco Creme, Darcy's Botanicals Sweet Cocoa Bean, Aubrey Organics Primrose Spray
Stylers: Aubrey Organics B-5, Shea Moisture Curly Souffle


Subject to change!
[QUOTE=AlYubbi;878154]
And once again, my previous post still speaks for itself. But also note, I can tell you didn't fully read it.
Originally Posted by Samielle1
soooo, what IS your point? Im delusional b/c i consider my hair kinky more than curly? B/c i dont pretend to make it out to be something its not? Does that bother you? Well, its not really my problem.
im glad im not the only one who finds it annoying. like i just LOVE (not really) how in magazines they claim that curls are back, but yet when you look at the models, almost all of them have soft, flirty waves in their hair. it really gets on my nerves because it seems like the industries are trying to pass off waves as being curly and to me its just not the same
Banned
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 107
Wow hella drama! To the OP: I accept wavies as curlies.
Maybe it's just me, but I'm so caught up in my own hair, that I never think/worry about anyone else's.
Originally Posted by Hakim Nuraldin

Me too! Well, with the exception of my little 2-year old girl (but, before I had her, I was the same way. Hmmm although now that she actually has hair, I am much more into her hair than my own....)
My hair is afro hair, but i referr to my hair as being coily, or kinky, simply b/c i like the names better and it sets me apart from being just curly and Sounds more afrocentric not so much curly and the fact that i actually do have definition in my hair, i might not have big huge coke can sized curls but my hair is still corkscrew pencil shaped curls. Its all in how you perceive your hair. some people even go as far to call their hair 'nappy'. some dont agree with that term, but if thats what you wanna call it, its your hair, you should know it best. Then you have those with a blend of kinks and actual curly hair . Just b/c you cant see the definition of curls doesnt mean its not there. Even afro hair with a Z pattern, has a pattern, like wavy hair does, its just so small that you cant see it. So i think it could be considered curly b/c definition and size of curls and coils doesnt determine if its actually curly or not.
Wavy hair is just extremely loose curls to me, they have some of the same problems as people with curly and kinky hair do so i dont see why they cant consider them curly.
I think its the 'problems' we all encounter with our hair that brings all the hair types together to this site.
Originally Posted by Samielle1
To the bolded: That doesn't make any sense. Saying stuff like that is one of the biggest reasons why there are delusional people when it comes to grade of hair. Its those same people who get "offended" or get their bubble popped when they finally learn the truth.

But, people like the original poster are "wrong" for stating her opinion.

Why is it so taboo to speak the truth?
Originally Posted by AlYubbi
Samielle, I think Al Yubbi is trying to make a point with this single sentence from your post. Werenumber2's anectdote about the 4a/b lady in denial is a good example of her piont. The women who like to believe their hair is 'curly' when they have like one or two wavy parts is another example. You have a good point about how it depends on your personal perception of your hair, and I agree with this. However, I have seen many women take this to the extreme and define their hair as something far off because they are clinging to the mentality that kinky is bad. It stems more from that rooted mentality than from the independent will to define it as they see it. Upbringing and community all influence their view, and they usually have to shake this notion they choose to transition their hair. Sometimes the view carries over after they have gone natural, and it manifests in this need to classify their hair as a looser texture than what it is. This is why having natural hair is more than just a style or a way to wear the hair, but a mental choice to wear hair on your head, even if your mind is telling you that it is not acceptable. Maybe imagining the texture as something they perceive to be beautiful (i.e. looser texture) is a way for them to cope? I don't have that answer.

Anyway, I don't think she was trying to attack your personal point of view on how you choose to define your hair, but on the general idea of women taking it to the extreme.

To Al Yubbi,
I only recently began to hear the term 'grade' of hair when I went natural. I think it is the reason why many women decide not to embrace their natural texture, for fear of an unacceptable 'grade' of hair. I appreciate the hair typing categories for their uses (finding hair twins, products) but for those with afro-textured hair, it only adds fuel to the mentality already present i.e. a good grade of hair, a bad grade of hair. Is there really a practical way to 'correct' someone on their 'delusional' view of their hair without perpetuating these divisions? If she is taking care of it and using the right products, why is it so important for everyone to categorize it for her? Just to make sure she knows her place in the spectrum of hair grades?
<><><><><><>

BC Sep. 2007

Last edited by Paraty; 02-17-2009 at 09:17 AM.
My hair is afro hair, but i referr to my hair as being coily, or kinky, simply b/c i like the names better and it sets me apart from being just curly and Sounds more afrocentric not so much curly and the fact that i actually do have definition in my hair, i might not have big huge coke can sized curls but my hair is still corkscrew pencil shaped curls. Its all in how you perceive your hair. some people even go as far to call their hair 'nappy'. some dont agree with that term, but if thats what you wanna call it, its your hair, you should know it best. Then you have those with a blend of kinks and actual curly hair . Just b/c you cant see the definition of curls doesnt mean its not there. Even afro hair with a Z pattern, has a pattern, like wavy hair does, its just so small that you cant see it. So i think it could be considered curly b/c definition and size of curls and coils doesnt determine if its actually curly or not.
Wavy hair is just extremely loose curls to me, they have some of the same problems as people with curly and kinky hair do so i dont see why they cant consider them curly.
I think its the 'problems' we all encounter with our hair that brings all the hair types together to this site.
Originally Posted by Samielle1
To the bolded: That doesn't make any sense. Saying stuff like that is one of the biggest reasons why there are delusional people when it comes to grade of hair. Its those same people who get "offended" or get their bubble popped when they finally learn the truth.

But, people like the original poster are "wrong" for stating her opinion.

Why is it so taboo to speak the truth?
Originally Posted by AlYubbi
Samielle, I think Al Yubbi is trying to make a point with this single sentence from your post. Werenumber2's anectdote about the 4a/b lady in denial is a good example of her piont. The women who like to believe their hair is 'curly' when they have like one or two wavy parts is another example. You have a good point about how it depends on your personal perception of your hair, and I agree with this. However, I have seen many women take this to the extreme and define their hair as something far off because they are clinging to the mentality that kinky is bad. It stems more from that rooted mentality than from the independent will to define it as they see it. Upbringing and community all influence their view, and they usually have to shake this notion they choose to transition their hair. Sometimes the view carries over after they have gone natural, and it manifests in this need to classify their hair as a looser texture than what it is. This is why having natural hair is more than just a style or a way to wear the hair, but a mental choice to wear hair on your head, even if your mind is telling you that it is not acceptable. Maybe imagining the texture as something they perceive to be beautiful (i.e. looser texture) is a way for them to cope? I don't have that answer.

Anyway, I don't think she was trying to attack your personal point of view on how you choose to define your hair, but on the general idea of women taking it to the extreme.

To Al Yubbi,
I only recently began to hear the term 'grade' of hair when I went natural. I think it is the reason why many women decide not to embrace their natural texture, for fear of an unacceptable 'grade' of hair. I appreciate the hair typing categories for their uses (finding hair twins, products) but for those with afro-textured hair, it only adds fuel to the mentality already present i.e. a good grade of hair, a bad grade of hair. Is there really a practical way to 'correct' someone on their 'delusional' view of their hair without perpetuating these divisions? If she is taking care of it and using the right products, why is it so important for everyone to categorize it for her? Just to make sure she knows her place in the spectrum of hair grades?
Originally Posted by Paraty
*inserts answer that will please the masses and make all happy*

error code p8733d
reason: No such answer exists.

Last edited by AlYubbi; 02-17-2009 at 11:15 AM. Reason: To give reason code.
[QUOTE=Paraty;878924][quote=AlYubbi;877557]
Samielle, I think Al Yubbi is trying to make a point with this single sentence from your post. Werenumber2's anectdote about the 4a/b lady in denial is a good example of her piont. The women who like to believe their hair is 'curly' when they have like one or two wavy parts is another example. You have a good point about how it depends on your personal perception of your hair, and I agree with this. However, I have seen many women take this to the extreme and define their hair as something far off because they are clinging to the mentality that kinky is bad. It stems more from that rooted mentality than from the independent will to define it as they see it. Upbringing and community all influence their view, and they usually have to shake this notion they choose to transition their hair. Sometimes the view carries over after they have gone natural, and it manifests in this need to classify their hair as a looser texture than what it is. This is why having natural hair is more than just a style or a way to wear the hair, but a mental choice to wear hair on your head, even if your mind is telling you that it is not acceptable. Maybe imagining the texture as something they perceive to be beautiful (i.e. looser texture) is a way for them to cope? I don't have that answer.

Anyway, I don't think she was trying to attack your personal point of view on how you choose to define your hair, but on the general idea of women taking it to the extreme.
Originally Posted by Samielle1

Paraty, i completely agree with everything you're saying, that's basically what i've been saying which is why i personally dont call the 4a/b's whatever, curly, i refer to them as being kinky. I wasnt talking about making my hair to be something its not, i said even though i have coffee stirrer sized curls, that TECHNICALLY it IS CURLY, but i dont consider it curly, but kinky. the simple fact that this hairtype is constantly vilified in the black community is part of why i would rather call myself nappy, kinky, coily proudly. Just worded it differently. My whole point was that, even though you might not see the curls on naked afro textured hair, the tiny curls are still there with the use of lotions and butters.

I do agree and i see it alot, these hairtypes will try to deny to have something they dont have. But if i consider my hair something it IS, then how am i in delial? If i were in denial, i would have looser curls and try to call myself kinky. If you're going by the hair in that avatar of mine, that isnt my hair, that was taken 2 years ago when i unraveled my kinky twists. My real hair would look like that in a twistout but basically my real hair IS and always has been kinky. i dont understand the part about me being in the denial? lol.
[quote=Samielle1;879071][quote=Paraty;878924]


Paraty, i completely agree with everything you're saying, that's basically what i've been saying which is why i personally dont call the 4a/b's whatever, curly, i refer to them as being kinky. I wasnt talking about making my hair to be something its not, i said even though i have coffee stirrer sized curls, that TECHNICALLY it IS CURLY, but i dont consider it curly, but kinky. the simple fact that this hairtype is constantly vilified in the black community is part of why i would rather call myself nappy, kinky, coily proudly. Just worded it differently. My whole point was that, even though you might not see the curls on naked afro textured hair, the tiny curls are still there with the use of lotions and butters.

I do agree and i see it alot, these hairtypes will try to deny to have something they dont have. But if i consider my hair something it IS, then how am i in delial? If i were in denial, i would have looser curls and try to call myself kinky. If you're going by the hair in that avatar of mine, that isnt my hair, that was taken 2 years ago when i unraveled my kinky twists. My real hair would look like that in a twistout but basically my real hair IS and always has been kinky. i dont understand the part about me being in the denial? lol.
Originally Posted by AlYubbi
Who said you were in denial?
...double post

Last edited by Samielle1; 02-17-2009 at 11:51 AM. Reason: .
Well delusional. You said what i said was the reason why people have delusions about calling their hair something its not, b/c i said that kinky hair has tiny curls that you cant see b/c they dont clump togther like curly hair doesnt mean its not curly. Well what else do you want kinky haired people to say their hair is? its has tiny coils and curls, what else is it going to be? its either kinky or its curly, either way its some curl pattern going on in there. Call them non curled people?
I think you can't get cross or mad in this case (OP), when it's so obviously a question of not enough information.

I mean, how many people are familiar with their curl pattern or wave pattern unless they really research their own hair and learn about it. Not many do, you can't blame them, it's not exactly a requirement or even that important to do. It's not surprising that the terms wavy/curly are often used indiscriminately.

I thought for years I had straight hair. Hair that somehow always frizzed and did odd things in the rain, when in fact it was wavy. I just didn't realize.

Many people just don't realize what the texture of their hair is, don't know what to call it.

I don't really think it's done intentionally.

I wouldn't particularly care... or take offense.
Well I guess I should be really specific at all times, like the first inch or two of my hair at the roots is straight, then a good portion of the length is wavy, and the ends will curl...

Should people with kinky hair also refrain from calling their hair curly?

I'm not trying to be (too) snarky, but 'curly' is kind of an all purpose word sometimes when talking about hair that isn't straight. It doesn't put anyone down or anything.
Originally Posted by TillyMunchyWaves
I do think thats kind of offensive. Enen though my hair isnt kinky, kinky hair are just very tight curls. Its still curls just a different style. It falls under curly and I think thats a rude thing to say.

And yes it does bother when people with wavy hair say its curly but i just let them think it and keep my mouth closed, Im not going to start something big over something so little
~Meena

I cant fight my curls
I cant control my curls
I really just let them roll free
What else can i do?

~I have curly curly 3c hair w/ some 4a up in little corners!
~I'm have a love affair with the Ojon Line and faithfully use Garnier Fructis Spray Gel.
~I love all my kinks, coils, and curls even when I wanna rip them out!
~Trying to gorw out to BSL, any tips? Drop a mesage!
Right, Ladies, can we all have a quiet 5 minutes and untwist our knickers here, please?

For flump's sake, it's just HAIR!!!!!
Regarding "People with wavy hair think its Curly". This has been on my mind everytime I open the naturallycurly website and they show all these celebrities with waves...not curls. There is a difference and I am not sure why their pics are displayed!
BC Feb 2008
3c, 4a. HE, castor and jojoba oil, acv rinse

Trending Topics


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com