Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > High Porosity

Like Tree21Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 03:06 PM   #21
 
Korkscrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,882
Default

My husband has the same opinion. So I told him when I get sick of my hair being long, I can cut it ... or I can keep it long for him and then he can rinse, wash, finger comb and apply product to it for me
wavydaze likes this.
Korkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:05 PM   #22
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 234
Default

If my hair feels really oily, stiff, and limp at the roots, and i use Shea Moisture Moisture Retention Shampoo, and Tresemme Naturals Conditioner, Shea Moisture Milk and Ecostyler Olive Oil Gel, do i need to clarify, and what with? Should i clarify, protein treat, then deep treat (high porosity), and is the low poo or conditioner the problem, bc its like this before i add products!

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using CurlTalk App
Lovemybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:23 PM   #23
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemybaby View Post
If my hair feels really oily, stiff, and limp at the roots, and i use Shea Moisture Moisture Retention Shampoo, and Tresemme Naturals Conditioner, Shea Moisture Milk and Ecostyler Olive Oil Gel, do i need to clarify, and what with? Should i clarify, protein treat, then deep treat (high porosity), and is the low poo or conditioner the problem, bc its like this before i add products!

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using CurlTalk App
That's a lot of stuff in your hair. I think you need to clarify. I use Sally's Hard water shampoo. And maybe you should stop using Shea moisture products as the pH is too high for porous hair. It's btwn 6-7. Way, way too high. Very porous hair, at least mine loves protein. I can't just condition wash, I need to shampoo weekly. Buy some pH sticks. Anything above 5.5 is too high for our hair. Exceptions are shampoos, oils and butters.
ACV and AVJ are your friends. The best spritz I've ever made, was AVJ, distilled water and glycerin.

I also found out that my hair loves, loves sodium lactate, keratin, collagen and hylauronic acid. Makes the hair retain moisture. HTH
naturalyogini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:50 PM   #24
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 234
Default

Ive noticed i hate the shea moisture products!! Thanks should i avoid shea alltogether, and where can u get those PH things? Im not sure if my hair likes glcerin or protein atm, im actually thinking it hates glcerin.. When should i use ACV, and should i get protein shampoos

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using CurlTalk App
Lovemybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:46 PM   #25
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemybaby View Post
Ive noticed i hate the shea moisture products!! Thanks should i avoid shea alltogether, and where can u get those PH things? Im not sure if my hair likes glcerin or protein atm, im actually thinking it hates glcerin.. When should i use ACV, and should i get protein shampoos

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using CurlTalk App
pH-Fix 2.0-9.0 Analytical Test Strips Box 100: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific for pH strips.

Shea butter is fine unless your hair hates shea butter.

I only use ACV to adjust the pH of products, but some people rinse with it (added to water, make sure the pH is 4.5-5.0) after shampooing.

You may have to experiment with protein conditioners until you find one that leaves your hair soft and strong.

I don't think one needs a protein conditioner. Just a clarifying one and a moisturizing one. Stay away from shampoo bars. For some reason high porosity hair hates shampoo bars, at least mine does. HTH
naturalyogini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:58 PM   #26
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 234
Default

Idk what u mean about the conditioners.. Should i also look for pt in styling products. My BIGGEST problem, is determining if i need gel, cream based stuff, or both.. Cream doesnt provide hold i need, but Ecostyler gel dries my hair out.. Could it be the olive oil? Or is gel not my friend? Lol

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using CurlTalk App
Lovemybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:18 PM   #27
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemybaby View Post
Idk what u mean about the conditioners.. Should i also look for pt in styling products. My BIGGEST problem, is determining if i need gel, cream based stuff, or both.. Cream doesnt provide hold i need, but Ecostyler gel dries my hair out.. Could it be the olive oil? Or is gel not my friend? Lol

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using CurlTalk App
I meant to say a protein shampoo. As far as ecostyler, it has a ph of 7 that's why its drying your hair out. It does the same thing to me. Gels are hit and miss. You've just got to find one that works for you. Maybe Curl junkie gels may work for you.
naturalyogini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:21 PM   #28
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 234
Default

so, ubsaid to get a clarifying and a moisturizing shampoo, and a protein conditioner? How do you determine the pH balance in products so easily?

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using CurlTalk App
Lovemybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:38 PM   #29
 
Ashleynicol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 314
Default

You said the shea moisture stuff isnt good for porous hair becuase of the neutral ph? I'm interested in this becuase the shea moisture smoothie is hit or miss with my hair.

Can you name some conditioners and curl creams that have a better ph?

I know that ACV is apple cider vinegar. What is AVJ?
Ashleynicol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:40 PM   #30
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 234
Default

I was told i need nothing higher than 5, the shampoo was 7?? Ik my hair gets horrible with all shea moisture.products, exept the milk, which doesnt do anything for my hair

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using CurlTalk App
Lovemybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:41 PM   #31
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 234
Default

AVJ is aloe vera juice i think

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using CurlTalk App
Lovemybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:39 AM   #32
 
Ashleynicol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemybaby View Post
AVJ is aloe vera juice i think

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using CurlTalk App
Ok! Lol. So would the juice straight from the plant be a good ph? I have a few aloe plants. Or do you purchase a particular brand?
Ashleynicol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:44 AM   #33
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleynicol View Post
You said the shea moisture stuff isnt good for porous hair becuase of the neutral ph? I'm interested in this becuase the shea moisture smoothie is hit or miss with my hair.

Can you name some conditioners and curl creams that have a better ph?

I know that ACV is apple cider vinegar. What is AVJ?
Actually the pH of the SM stuff I tested was 6.5, which is still too high. Conditioners should be 4.0-5.5 no higher. Shampoos 4.5-6.0. Leave-ins should be 4.5-5.5. Stick the pH stick in your products and test them. I haven't found a deep conditioner that my hair likes. For leave-in, I like Botanical Spriits, Hairveda busy izzy gets buttered up. NBD Cosmetics hair nectar and hair moisture miracle. BTW all of NBD Cos products are ph balanced. You can find her etsy.
naturalyogini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:52 AM   #34
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 234
Default

Thanks for pH advice!! And can u get those products in drugstores?

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using CurlTalk App
Lovemybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:57 AM   #35
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,594
Default

Some of the pHs of products are on the Natural Haven blog, including some Shea Moisture, the strips are easy to use and well worth trying.

High porosity should not overuse 'moisturising' humectant rich products in very high or low dews. Many do badly with glycerin especially.
The Curl Whisperer on Porosity | Curly Nikki | Natural Hair Styles and Natural Hair Care

Be careful with aloe juice from the plant, it contains potentially irritating/ allergenic compounds, and is not stabilised so will start breaking down relatively quickly. Not sure whether the enzymes it contains would damage hair or not.

AFAIK 'pH balanced' is not a regulated term, it could therefore mean different things to different manufacturers, it can certainly mean as high as 7 (neutral) in the UK. Most conditioners are acidic, tho some are lower than others. Lines that specify a low appropriate pH include Komaza Care, As I Am, Keracare and Dermorganic.
__________________
2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG, growing out mechanical and chemical damage = breakage and very high porosity. Past armpit length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut
Treatments: Komaza Matani, coconut oil, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss ultimate volume, Inecto argan
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Boots Essentials gel
Experimenting with: going back to basics
Firefox7275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Trending Topics[-]hide

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com