My experience with keratin treatments

Like Tree7Likes

Hi,

I thought I would share my year-long experience with keratin treatments in the hope that it's informative for those researching these products and that I may get some helpful input from girls who have the same problem as me.

I am middle eastern and started out with fine, curly (3b) virgin hair that is prone to breaking. With stubbornly curly roots and way too much volume near the scalp (and tons of breakage toward the middle), my hair has been a nuisance all my life.

My hair was wash-and-go hair air dried with a bit of leave-in cream conditioner and some Aveda gel.

A year ago I had a Global Keratin Hair Taming treatment (regular strength) done. This loosened my curls and imparted some silkiness and manageability. The results, however, lasted just two weeks.

The salon re-did the treatment at no cost to me. The effects of the second treatment lasted 3 months. But the result was BEAUTIFUL. It changed my hair texture to super shiny and manageable with more memory. The curls were big and loose and voluminous. People would comment on how amazing my hair looks - friends and strangers alike.

Of course, after 3 months when the results faded I was disappointed because I enjoyed how fabulous it was. So I wanted a third treatment pronto.

Around this time there was all that hype about formaldehyde. Yeah I was scared, but the results were so pretty that I figured I'd do this treatment for one year only and be OK.

This time I decided to try the Brazillian Blowout (regular kind) because I heard it had more formaldehyde and at the time I thought it would work even better.

Brazillian Blowout is washed out of your hair the same day. I did not like the effects of this treatment on my hair. It wasn't as strong as Global Keratin and did not loosen my hair as much. There was quite a bit of frizz too. I was very disappointed.

A month later I had my FOURTH Global Keratin Hair Taming treatment. This time I had the "Resistant" kind, to make my results last longer.

Here's where it gets ugly....

The fourth treatment with the resistant kind made my hair fairly straight and frizz free. I didn't mind the look BUT my hair was no longer shiney and silky like it was the first two times I did it. On the contrary, all the chemical treatments and flat ironing over the past 6 months had killed my hair and made it dull, lifeless and even more prone to breaking.

I no longer got compliments on my hair, which is the best way to evaluate if your hair is looking good or not - are people telling you it looks good??

A few months past and now my curly roots were growing in. The problem was that all those keratin treatment had piled up and permanently straightened the lower parts. So now I had a curly root, straight shaft problem.

To alleviate this, I had a fifth Global Keratin treatment with the Resistant formula again. I went to a different stylist this time who seriously messed up my hair. She flat ironed some parts too many times and permanently straighted some parts from root to tip.

It has been 4 months now. My curly roots are approx 2.5 inches in length. I have multitextured hair. Some pieces are DEAD straight and do not curl or wave no matter what I do. Other pieces are curly curly curly.

One hair dresser looked at me and said "I don't know what's going on with your hair."

I regret doing this treatment. I had a good run the first two times, but obviously more than 2 was too much for my hair.

I don't want to chop it off to start over as I hate short hair. My lifestyle also does not allow me to blowdry or flat iron it straight daily until it grows out.

So I continue to style as always - cream + gel + air dry - and pull it back with a clip once completely dry.

This sucks.
Never perform BKT over and over on the same hair once you've reached your desired curl pattern. Retouch the roots only.

BKTing for 2+ years (now doing roots only for over a year) and still happy with it....
TriMixDiva likes this.
OK, I admit it.....I'm an alias! I wasn't born with the name Honeycurls!
Dood, get over it; there's no time limit on lurking.

I so busy runnin' allllllll over the place and ain't nobody chasin' me!
Actually keratin treatment can repair damaged hair at its very core, it's relatively unexpensive if you think about its long term results, and, depending on the brand, the whole process can last from one to four days.
Actually keratin treatment can repair damaged hair at its very core, it's relatively unexpensive if you think about its long term results, and, depending on the brand, the whole process can last from one to four days.
Originally Posted by kazia
No, it can't--that is total misinformation. Hair is a non-metabolically active tissue and cannot be "repaired" by anything.

My hair has not been repaired, I simply don't care that the curl relaxation is permanent. In fact, my hair is so soft right now, it almost won't hold any curl pattern at all, and that's actually kind of problematic. I used to be a 3c/4a; now I'm barely a 2c. Some people do and need to be aware of that fact. And, it's not "semi-permanent," it's permanent if done enough times on the same hair or the finer your hair texture. If you begin with coarse hair, it takes longer to break down your hair's natural keratin layer. Fine hair has relatively little natural keratin, and the permanent curl relaxation is permanent from probably the second application.
TriMixDiva, MirCurls and wavydaze like this.
OK, I admit it.....I'm an alias! I wasn't born with the name Honeycurls!
Dood, get over it; there's no time limit on lurking.

I so busy runnin' allllllll over the place and ain't nobody chasin' me!
I agree, honeycurls, that keratin treatment do not "repair" hair. It's a temporary cosmetic fix that coats your hair cuticles for a while giving the appearance of a healthier smoother cuticle until the chemical washes out. As you said, if done enough time the chemical seems to create permanent changes on your curl pattern but not necessarily for the better. My hair, for instance, is more fragile and lifeless where it's permanently straightened. Essentially the keratin treatments "killed" parts of my hair leaving them lifeless looking and fragile.
MirCurls likes this.
Hey Zalim
I'm actually middle eastern as well, but with originally 4a hair, frizz galore, never a wash-and-go girl. I also got multiple treatments:

My first was coppola, and like you I had the keratin dream come true for my first treatment. Shiny, bouncy, thick beautiful hair emerged. I was in heaven for a couple of months.. then I started shedding, coppola was def the culprit, then it also wore off.

Next I did QOD max at home, was great, gave me better frizz control and tameness than coppola. For once I became a wash-and-go girl. It wore off, I re-did it a few months later but I made the mistake of redoing part that didn't need it so eventually my hair kinda limped up at the bottom and was too straight with frizz at the roots.

I went to QOD organiq next, at first I was like oh crap-- no formaldahyde at all and felt watery. Amazingly, I'm now 2 treatment of organiq out and I like it alot. Not as amazing as traditional keratin treatments, but really mild and gives my hair the frizz-calming effect I need, but muuuch more natural feel. I'm back to not being able to wash and go, but I'm still frizz-free after I blow-dry, and I'm not shedding.

In conclusion, this is my latest favorite routine.
I agree, honeycurls, that keratin treatment do not "repair" hair. It's a temporary cosmetic fix that coats your hair cuticles for a while giving the appearance of a healthier smoother cuticle until the chemical washes out. As you said, if done enough time the chemical seems to create permanent changes on your curl pattern but not necessarily for the better. My hair, for instance, is more fragile and lifeless where it's permanently straightened. Essentially the keratin treatments "killed" parts of my hair leaving them lifeless looking and fragile.
Originally Posted by zalim
So true. That's where the softness comes from that most people marvel over at first. But, that softness is not necessarily a good thing if your hair is fine. I think the chemicals in the treatments combined with the high heat of the flat iron dissolve the keratin layer of your own hair and permanently alter/destroy it. One of the rules I will always remember from chemistry is that "like dissolves like." Applied here, that probably means Brazilian KERATIN dissolves KERATIN layers on hair.

My hair just suddenly became "different" about 2 months ago. It became super fine, lifeless, and weightless, and has been shedding like an animal. I have very dense hair, thank dog, but it's still quite alarming to see the amount of hair that now comes out with washing. I go through this every year, but I can't remember if it's a seasonal thing or what. I'm hoping that as we approach summer, it will stop, and that it's just a seasonal shed that I'd never noticed over the years because I always had so much relaxer breakage.

Trevel--that's odd because I just used my Gold Organiq yesterday, and it wasn't watery at all. In fact, I was convinced it was probably the same formula...until I smelled it on my hair later. Ick.
TriMixDiva likes this.
OK, I admit it.....I'm an alias! I wasn't born with the name Honeycurls!
Dood, get over it; there's no time limit on lurking.

I so busy runnin' allllllll over the place and ain't nobody chasin' me!
That was very considerate of you to post your experience in detail for others' benefit. I know one gal who had a great first couple keratin experiences (her hair looked really silky and lovely and very straight), and then the breakage and thinning started with repeated use. Her hair is really thinned. I mean, wispy. Ugh. That's not a good hair look.

I imagine multiple textures like you describe must be terribly saddening and frustrating. I'm really sorry. It will grow out, and the healthy hair should give you more pleasure. Best with that....
3a3b dry, dyed --newly "banged"
Natural since 11/25/09 (Miami)

Shine & Spring w/ Sweet Curls Elixirs!
Curl Junkie Conditions!
Re:coil ROCKS!

~CJ Protein Tx
; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
~S&C; SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
Dumping clumps for VOLUME!
http://public.fotki.com/MirCurls/


Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
Never perform BKT over and over on the same hair once you've reached your desired curl pattern. Retouch the roots only.

BKTing for 2+ years (now doing roots only for over a year) and still happy with it....
Originally Posted by Honeycurls

Hi Honeycurls,

Re-reading my old thread and wanted to respond to what you wrote here. "You wrote never perform keratin over and over on the same hair once you've reached your desired curl pattern." Well, after 2-3 months of keratin, the hair pattern usually reverts back to its natural texture, or at least 80% of its natural curl texture, so it's no longer your "desired curl pattern" which is why one re-applies the keratin. What the salon's don't tell you is despite the fact that your hair reverts to its old curl over time, the product still accumulates on the strands so with each keratin process you end up with straighter and straighter hair.

In my experience, my best curl pattern was reached after treatment #2. After a couple of months, my hair got curly/frixxy again and no subsequent keratin treatment gave me results like that again. It just got duller and limper.
Never perform BKT over and over on the same hair once you've reached your desired curl pattern. Retouch the roots only.

BKTing for 2+ years (now doing roots only for over a year) and still happy with it....
Originally Posted by Honeycurls

Hi Honeycurls,

Re-reading my old thread and wanted to respond to what you wrote here. "You wrote never perform keratin over and over on the same hair once you've reached your desired curl pattern." Well, after 2-3 months of keratin, the hair pattern usually reverts back to its natural texture, or at least 80% of its natural curl texture, so it's no longer your "desired curl pattern" which is why one re-applies the keratin. What the salon's don't tell you is despite the fact that your hair reverts to its old curl over time, the product still accumulates on the strands so with each keratin process you end up with straighter and straighter hair.

In my experience, my best curl pattern was reached after treatment #2. After a couple of months, my hair got curly/frixxy again and no subsequent keratin treatment gave me results like that again. It just got duller and limper.
Originally Posted by zalim
Depends upon the hair, but, no, it actually doesn't always revert back and "desired curl pattern" varies from person to person and hair texture to hair texture--my "desired" curl pattern may be looser or tighter than someone else's. There is a point of no curl return after BKTing with all hair types, and the finer your hair is, the sooner it reaches that point. If you have coarse "horse hair" you can do more repeated treatments before the curl finally reaches a no-return stage. The product does not accumulate permanently on the hair strands. It washes off progressively. Accumulation of the product on the hair strands is not what causes the straightening.

I've been doing this for almost 3 years. I know what I'm talking about. I haven't had to BKT my entire head for 2 years because the curl pattern is permanently relaxed after 2 applications; I've only been retouching my roots every 5-6 weeks for 2 years now. When I retouch my roots, I overlap about 1/2 an inch into the previously BKT'd hair, so all hair gets two subsequent applications about 6 weeks apart. That's all it takes. My previously resistant 4a/3c curls are forever relaxed to about a 2b/2c. In fact, I wish I had a bit more curl in my hair these days. Results are not typical because my hair is SUPER fine, so not much of a keratin layer of its own.

It's so frustrating for me to read all of the misinformaton that's circulating around because I've done so much trial and error and have consistent, reproducible results now.

It does not repair hair.

It does not attach to the hair shaft permanently.

It is not always a temporary solution--can be permanent depending on the texture of the hair and the treatment brand used and how many consecutive times BKT is applied to the same hair over and over.

The key determinants in results and how permanent and how dramatic your curl relaxation are:

Which brand you use.
Hair texture (fine vs. coarse and where it falls between the two extremes)
How often and how frequently you BKT the same hair back-to-back.

It can be used back to back to achieve looser and looser curl patterns.
QOD does not damage the hair and cause breakage in the way that repeated use of heat, hair color or relaxers do. My hair stopped shedding in May, and what I discovered is that my hormones were weird from about Jan. to May. My hair shedding slowed down from about April to May, and it is back to normal now, and my hair is back to normal overall. The shedding had nothing to do with BKT.

The only breakage I have suffered in the nearly 3 years that I have been BKTing regularly is from the heavy highlighting I had done in 2009 and early 2010, which I haven't had since. That's the only hair that has broken off...you can see how straggly my lightened ends are, while the dark new growth is thick and healthy.

Trust me...I have the finest, most fragile hair I've ever seen on a healthy adult human, and my hair is almost down to my waist after 3 years of BKTing. Believe what you want, but they'll have to pry my QOD Gold from my cold, dead hands.

I'm 46 years old...I've been fighting my hair since I was about 10--when I cut it all off and started relaxing. I didn't make peace with my hair until I was 43 years old--when I started BKTing. My hair is almost my dream hair now. It's awesome and has changed my life DRAMATICALLY. If I'd had hair this carefree as a teen and young adult, I'd be a completely different person right now. Yes, it's impacted my life that dramatically.
OK, I admit it.....I'm an alias! I wasn't born with the name Honeycurls!
Dood, get over it; there's no time limit on lurking.

I so busy runnin' allllllll over the place and ain't nobody chasin' me!

Last edited by Honeycurls; 06-28-2012 at 09:38 AM.
I know what you mean! My #2 Global Keratin treatment gave me my dream hair and changed my daily life too. It saved me time in the morning when I got ready for work, it gave me confidence because I knew my hair looked pretty, it was easy to style and flip from one side to another, it air-dried quickly and it made my curls/waves silky, shiny and smooth. For the first time, I had hair that others envied.

But it lasted 2 months only and no subsequent treatment did that again.
All I can say is that you have to try QOD--original formula either Max or Gold. Their new Kerapremium is the old QOD Max formula. I can't speak about any other brand of QOD. I got lucky in that I had success with the first brand I tried. I followed another member's journey because she is my hair twin, and my results were the same as hers.

QOD original all the way--but, yes, it has aldehydes.
OK, I admit it.....I'm an alias! I wasn't born with the name Honeycurls!
Dood, get over it; there's no time limit on lurking.

I so busy runnin' allllllll over the place and ain't nobody chasin' me!
Never perform BKT over and over on the same hair once you've reached your desired curl pattern. Retouch the roots only.

BKTing for 2+ years (now doing roots only for over a year) and still happy with it....
Originally Posted by Honeycurls

Hi Honeycurls,

Re-reading my old thread and wanted to respond to what you wrote here. "You wrote never perform keratin over and over on the same hair once you've reached your desired curl pattern." Well, after 2-3 months of keratin, the hair pattern usually reverts back to its natural texture, or at least 80% of its natural curl texture, so it's no longer your "desired curl pattern" which is why one re-applies the keratin. What the salon's don't tell you is despite the fact that your hair reverts to its old curl over time, the product still accumulates on the strands so with each keratin process you end up with straighter and straighter hair.

In my experience, my best curl pattern was reached after treatment #2. After a couple of months, my hair got curly/frixxy again and no subsequent keratin treatment gave me results like that again. It just got duller and limper.
Originally Posted by zalim
Depends upon the hair, but, no, it actually doesn't always revert back and "desired curl pattern" varies from person to person and hair texture to hair texture--my "desired" curl pattern may be looser or tighter than someone else's. There is a point of no curl return after BKTing with all hair types, and the finer your hair is, the sooner it reaches that point. If you have coarse "horse hair" you can do more repeated treatments before the curl finally reaches a no-return stage. The product does not accumulate permanently on the hair strands. It washes off progressively. Accumulation of the product on the hair strands is not what causes the straightening.

I've been doing this for almost 3 years. I know what I'm talking about. I haven't had to BKT my entire head for 2 years because the curl pattern is permanently relaxed after 2 applications; I've only been retouching my roots every 5-6 weeks for 2 years now. When I retouch my roots, I overlap about 1/2 an inch into the previously BKT'd hair, so all hair gets two subsequent applications about 6 weeks apart. That's all it takes. My previously resistant 4a/3c curls are forever relaxed to about a 2b/2c. In fact, I wish I had a bit more curl in my hair these days. Results are not typical because my hair is SUPER fine, so not much of a keratin layer of its own.

It's so frustrating for me to read all of the misinformaton that's circulating around because I've done so much trial and error and have consistent, reproducible results now.

It does not repair hair.

It does not attach to the hair shaft permanently.

It is not always a temporary solution--can be permanent depending on the texture of the hair and the treatment brand used and how many consecutive times BKT is applied to the same hair over and over.

The key determinants in results and how permanent and how dramatic your curl relaxation are:

Which brand you use.
Hair texture (fine vs. coarse and where it falls between the two extremes)
How often and how frequently you BKT the same hair back-to-back.

It can be used back to back to achieve looser and looser curl patterns.
QOD does not damage the hair and cause breakage in the way that repeated use of heat, hair color or relaxers do. My hair stopped shedding in May, and what I discovered is that my hormones were weird from about Jan. to May. My hair shedding slowed down from about April to May, and it is back to normal now, and my hair is back to normal overall. The shedding had nothing to do with BKT.

The only breakage I have suffered in the nearly 3 years that I have been BKTing regularly is from the heavy highlighting I had done in 2009 and early 2010, which I haven't had since. That's the only hair that has broken off...you can see how straggly my lightened ends are, while the dark new growth is thick and healthy.

Trust me...I have the finest, most fragile hair I've ever seen on a healthy adult human, and my hair is almost down to my waist after 3 years of BKTing. Believe what you want, but they'll have to pry my QOD Gold from my cold, dead hands.

I'm 46 years old...I've been fighting my hair since I was about 10--when I cut it all off and started relaxing. I didn't make peace with my hair until I was 43 years old--when I started BKTing. My hair is almost my dream hair now. It's awesome and has changed my life DRAMATICALLY. If I'd had hair this carefree as a teen and young adult, I'd be a completely different person right now. Yes, it's impacted my life that dramatically.
Originally Posted by Honeycurls
Wow, we've been doing treatments for the same amount of time! I actually started to get one in 2007 but I waited until 2009 to see how folk's hair responded to the treatment.

I never experienced any thinning or breakage but I did get permanently bone straight hair for QOD Max Orginal (it has over 3% formeldahyde). I couldn't even get bone straight hair with sodium hydroxide relaxers. Ironically, my hair was never, broken, thin, damaged or ragedy with keratin treatments. Relaxers couldn't stay on my hair long enough to straigthen my hair (due to my extremely sensitive scalp) but my hair was 10 x worse. I HATE relaxers.

Anyhoo, I started using QOD Max Organiq to keep my curls and doing root touchups works well! I don't think keratin is "temporary" either, well, it might be for some. I guess it depends on your texture, but like you when I do mine it's permanent.
Hi all,

I just moved to Madrid and dont have a hair stylist yet 😥...how can you do a retouch of your roots only with keratin? Apply product only in roots and flat iron all the hair?? I love my results but dont want to do it in all my hair...

Any help will be appreciated!!

Thanks
Hi all,

I just moved to Madrid and dont have a hair stylist yet 😥...how can you do a retouch of your roots only with keratin? Apply product only in roots and flat iron all the hair?? I love my results but dont want to do it in all my hair...

Any help will be appreciated!!

Thanks
Originally Posted by Madridcurly
Apply the keratin only to the hair you want treated, then flat iron only that hair--or you can flat iron the rest as well, but I'd rather not subject the rest of my hair to the heat when not necessary.
OK, I admit it.....I'm an alias! I wasn't born with the name Honeycurls!
Dood, get over it; there's no time limit on lurking.

I so busy runnin' allllllll over the place and ain't nobody chasin' me!
[QUOTE=Honeycurls;


Apply the keratin only to the hair you want treated, then flat iron only that hair--or you can flat iron the rest as well, but I'd rather not subject the rest of my hair to the heat when not necessary.[/QUOTE]

Hi Honeycurls,

How do you know where the stop flat ironing? How do you mark that link on your hair? I'm having trouble with this because when my hair is wet it is hard to remember where that line is on each small section.
[QUOTE=zalim;1998185]

Hi Honeycurls,

How do you know where the stop flat ironing? How do you mark that link on your hair? I'm having trouble with this because when my hair is wet it is hard to remember where that line is on each small section.
Originally Posted by Honeycurls;


Apply the keratin only to the hair you want treated, then flat iron only that hair--or you can flat iron the rest as well, but I'd rather not subject the rest of my hair to the heat when not necessary.[/QUOTE
I find it a little interesting that you claim not to get any feedback on this board, yet I know that I've personally responded to many of your posts. There's no obligation for anyone to reply to anything, you know, and some of us are too busy to come here often. You're welcome.

I just flat iron approximately the width of my iron. It's somewhat arbitrary, but I overlap slightly into the previously treated hair on purpose--it's impossible to measure precisely. By the time you're flat ironing, your hair should be dry. It doesn't matter if you get the solution on the other hair--it's only activated by the high heat of the iron. I made a predetermined decision to retouch approximately 1 inch of hair because the hair grows ~1/4 inch per month, and I want to overlap a bit into the "old" hair anyway.

In other words, I shoot for ~1", but if I go over, I don't worry about it.
OK, I admit it.....I'm an alias! I wasn't born with the name Honeycurls!
Dood, get over it; there's no time limit on lurking.

I so busy runnin' allllllll over the place and ain't nobody chasin' me!

Last edited by Honeycurls; 07-21-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Huh? What kind of a hostile remark was that? Why all this anger Honeycurls? I seem to remember the last time you replied to one of my posts, it was to ask me if I was interested in buying your opened OrganiQ bottle. I said no and after that you stopped replying to my threads.

Many thank-you's for replying to this one. I could have done without the hostility though.
Huh? What kind of a hostile remark was that? Why all this anger Honeycurls? I seem to remember the last time you replied to one of my posts, it was to ask me if I was interested in buying your opened OrganiQ bottle. I said no and after that you stopped replying to my threads.

Many thank-you's for replying to this one. I could have done without the hostility though.
Originally Posted by zalim
First line of the OP:

Post treatment pics (QOD Max Organiq)

A "threat" of not returning because the members weren't fulfilling your needs.

I can do without sideways comments like that when I've extended myself to you more than once. And, you did it again above (see 2nd bolded). One had nothing to do with the other, and if I had the time, I could probably construct a timeline of responses to refute your claim--maybe, maybe not--who knows, who cares. I can only speak for myself when I say that I don't hang out on the boards all day waiting to answer questions. I am busy working toward an MBA and only come here anymore to briefly break up the monotony when I'm reading. No one here is under any obligation to anyone else--except for following through with transactions entered into on the Swap board. You insult me now by insinuating that I would stop responding to you because you showed no interest in buying my keratin?? Good luck getting accurate answers to your questions going forward.
OK, I admit it.....I'm an alias! I wasn't born with the name Honeycurls!
Dood, get over it; there's no time limit on lurking.

I so busy runnin' allllllll over the place and ain't nobody chasin' me!

Last edited by Honeycurls; 07-22-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Woooooowww.

Good luck to you, as well.

:-)

Trending Topics


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com