Uncurly Treatment Review

• 1 Post By partinggiftx3

I finally tried out this product after a lot of research on the company and on keratin treatments in general. I wanted to try something new and stronger than what I've been using for awhile, and Uncurly fit my budget.

I am pretty shocked by my results. I naturally have 3B hair, but I've been using Ion brand keratin (from Sally's) for about two years now. It took me about a year and a half to get to where I was before I used Uncurly- which was kind of a wavy curl. The ends were almost straight while my roots never lasted very long and were curly. I kept using Ion because it's cheap and seemed like it kind of worked. Before Uncurly I had never used anything as strong as it is. I didn't even know it could be this strong.

So with my hair already not being virgin, but also being very fine, Uncurly totally straightened my hair. It looks like I flat ironed it today- it's very weird but I'm getting used to it. I used it as directed and ironed at 450, so maybe next time I will lower the temp to keep some curl. My results are incredibly smooth, soft, shiny frizz free straight hair. If that's what you're looking for, this could be your answer.

It comes with a pre shampoo which I actually really liked. In the past I would use Ion's clarifying shampoo which really dried me out and made it impossible to comb without conditioner (which you can't use.) But the Uncurly shampoo didn't strip me at all. I washed once since I don't have virgin hair.

The post shampoo was nice too- not much of a lather which I like and seemed to help sort of clarify my treated hair without stripping. Usually my hair smells a little weird for a day or so after a treatment but it smells fine after using that shampoo.

The treatment itself was very new to me. The Ion brand I was using was very watery, sort of caramel colored, and smelled nutty and not very chemically. The Uncurly treatment is very thick- kind of like a thick conditioner. It was a little more difficult to spread on the hair since it wasn't soaking in really. I tried not to use a lot and in total probably used a few tablespoons. One thing I will say- they specify in the directions to use gloves, and if you don't it's okay but your hands will get chapped. They are completely right. I didn't use gloves because I never did with my other treatment, but the hand I used to help spread out the treatment with got very dry for a few days. Not too uncomfortable but just a little weird.

The smell of the treatment did bother me quite a bit. It mostly bothered me when I applied it near my face- my eyes and nose were really irritated. Oddly enough it didn't bother me much at all when I was straightening it out. I had a fan to blow the steam away from my face which worked great, but I'm not sure there's a solution to the smell when I'm applying it to my hair. I think I can deal with it every few months since I had such amazing results.

I will continue using this product since apparently the Ion brand does very little in comparison.. I really hope Uncurly will start selling separate larger bottles of just the treatment so I don't have to re-buy the little shampoo's!

Here are some before and after pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
Uncurly Treatment Review-before1.jpg   Uncurly Treatment Review-before2.jpg   Uncurly Treatment Review-after1.jpg   Uncurly Treatment Review-after2.jpg
ParkerSteele likes this.

Last edited by partinggiftx3; 01-17-2013 at 09:19 PM.
thanks for the detailed review! i just have a few comments on it.

this wasnt such a good idea and i would not recommend anyone to use a formaldehyde containing treatment without gloves. formaldehyde can be easily absorbed by the skin which is why it is usually advised not to get the treatments on the hands or scalp.

this treatment sound like it might be good for someone who is looking for a budget friendly keratin solution but the insistence of flat ironing at 450 really turned me off. Also you mentioned about how strong the solution worked in your hair. For someone like me who just wants a little bit of loosening and increased manageability this may not be the best choice. it sounds great for those who want dramatic results.

keep us updated on if your hair reverts back to curly.

the owner seems like a nice lady and i wish her the best.
4a transitioning
Straight haired natural journey
thanks for the detailed review! i just have a few comments on it.

keep us updated on if your hair reverts back to curly.

the owner seems like a nice lady and i wish her the best.
Originally Posted by Napp

About the glove thing- that's why I posted about it, to confirm that if you're going to try this product it's best to use gloves. The directions recommend it but it's not absolutely necessary as it can be more difficult to apply with gloves. My hand was just dry for a bit, nothing serious happened. I'm still alive.

I would say the reason they insist, or suggest to flat iron at 450 is to get the full potential out of the product. If they didn't make that clear, people would be complaining to them that it didn't work. If you have very resistant or virgin hair it's probably necessary to use such a high temp. However, if you know what you're doing or what works for your hair type you can easy do a few things to retain more curl. For one, skip all of the blow drying. Apply it to air dried curly hair, and just let it dry before applying the flat iron. Then, use a lower temp and maybe less strokes with the flat iron. My stylist suggested that regime to me as she uses keratin but does it in a way that she still has curly hair.

I followed the directions to test the full potential of the product. Although I'm happy with my results, I'm looking forward to my next application where I may experiment with a lower temp to keep some waves in my hair. It's still totally straight right now so I'll update in a few weeks if my curls start to come back.
Thanks so much for posting your review. I have been looking for an at-home keratin treatment for sometime and just ordered the uncurly based on your review and another blog I found on the internet. I generally go to the Salon once a year (June-ish) and pay the $300 for Keratin Complex (Coppola) to get me through the summer. I usually make it to June, but this year has been much different. My hair seems resistent to everything. I have tried the Organix BKT last year and it seemed to work...I tried it this year and it did absolutely nothing.

My questions is not that its been a few months - how is your hair holding up?

I am going to Jamaica mid-May and knew I would not be able to make it through vacation without my hair frizzing and curling like a bush (I have type 2B), so I am excited to try this before I go.

Any tips (other than wearing gloves)?

My questions is not that its been a few months - how is your hair holding up?

Any tips (other than wearing gloves)?
Originally Posted by skibum769

Sorry I didn't see this earlier! I'll respond anyways even though it's probably too late..

I still love this product. I've used it three times now- just did a root touch up this weekend. It held up pretty well for about 2 1/2 months. Sometimes I would need to use a flat iron on my roots around my face and at the nape of my neck, but overall it still remained wavy/straight instead of 3B curly. I like to go as long as I can before doing another treatment- I probably could have gone longer, but it's been really humid where I am and I just wanted my hair routine to be easier again.

As far as tips go, I would say to use pretty high heat for your first full on application. And gloves! I just wear one glove while applying it, and no gloves while I use the flat iron. I had no trouble with skin dryness this time around. I use about 425-450 heat on resistant areas, and sometimes go down to 400 in other areas. A little goes a long way- use a brush (like for hair dying) and just a little dab of the product starting at the roots. After you do a full application, you should be able to just do root touch ups every few months which is much quicker.

As far as maintaining the keratin, of course use proper shampoos and stylers that don't have sodium chloride and sulfates which in my opinion definitely strips the hair. I use various natural shampoos, and mostly DevaCurl stylers. This keratin treatment from Sally's also helps to re-straighten the hair (at least for me!) if its starting to curl up a bit: Generic Value Products - GVP Hair Reconstructor: Compare to Joico K-Pak

Sorry this is long! I hope it helps, and since you asked this so long ago I hope you tried the product and had good results! Let us know how it went for you.
I just ordered this product. I can't wait to get it in. I am so tired of the frizz. I'm going to Seattle next month and hopefully this will keep the frizz at bay. I'm planning to have my hair highlighted and read that this stuff is best used over any coloring or highlighting. This product sounds amazing. I'll let you know how it works out. Keeping my fingers crossed.
I got in my uncurly and am having it applied tonight. Can't wait. Will post back with the results.
The fumes were bad. We had a fan on, but both our eyes watered badly. Other than that it went well. My hair looks limp and needs to be washed, but it will look like that until I can shampoo it on Friday. Will let you know how it looks when completed. I'm hopeful the frizz will be under control.
I just ordered this product online I will report my impressions about it soon...

__________
Free hosting

Last edited by ubik; 10-08-2013 at 09:45 AM.
My hair is pretty delicate, so the hairdresser (friend) didn't put the flat iron setting as high as I think she should have. It's smoother with less frizz, but I feel it could have been much better. I have some left over, so will try it again myself.
Originally Posted by Lotsawaves
I know what you mean about having delicate hair and not wanting to use the high heat. My suggestion is usually to do the high heat the first time, and when you reapply use a lower heat setting since you have done the treatment previously. I have pretty fine hair, but I use high heat on the resistant areas around my face and at the nape of my neck.

If I were you, if you can- wait a few days. Often times my hair looks pretty curly right after I apply the treatment, and it starts to flatten out after a few days. Even when it's wet it looks like its going to be curly, but the waves fall right out as soon as its dry. Its strange! But if it's still not your desired look, definitely try it again maybe with the higher heat setting.

Good luck!
I was getting the Brazillian Blowout treatment. It worked fine for almost 2 years. The last one I had, which was back in April did not last more than 2 months,if that. Usually, they last 3-6 months.

After researching Uncurly, I thought I would give it a try. I used the product 2 weeks ago and I'm happy with the results.

My hair is a combination of waves and some areas are curly. It's fine.

Application was easy. I waited 2 days before washing it. If I let it air dry, I have a very slight wave in some areas. Other areas dry straight. If I blow it out using only my fingers and a dryer, it comes out straight.

No frizz at all, whether I air dry or blow it out. I live in Florida.

I'm very happy with Uncurly. Saving money is a plus. Being able to do touch ups is a bigger plus.
Glad to hear it worked for you, Arlene. I'm going to apply it again tonight. Wish me luck!
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
Originally Posted by Lotsawaves

How did it turn out? I'm thinking of ordering uncurly.
It really helps with the frizz, but not so much with the curls underneath. I have enough for one more treatment. Not sure when I want to try it again. I think I'm not getting the iron hot enough. I can't see the temperature on it.
From Michael Berg:

So, I used this last week and only waited two days and when I washed it out I let it air dry. You do see a difference when you air dry it, right? Like it won't be as curly as before? I saw no difference in my hair at all and it was a total mess but I'm thinking I didn't put enough in because when I flat ironed it, lots of my hair was still dry. Do you think it would be okay to re-apply it a few days after the first use?
Join Date: Feb 2013
I was looking for a treatment for my 4c friend. I ended up doing a texlax for her again and that worked well for her kinky hair. It made it considerably smoother but definitely still a curly.
I decided that once I reach waist length, if I am still having problems with my hair getting too tight of a curl, I will try this brand.
I really liked your review as well as this one

Last edited by dixygirl; 05-12-2014 at 05:46 AM.