Go Back   CurlTalk > Life > Makeup/skin care

Like Tree3Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 11:03 PM   #21
 
The New Black's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 13,683
Default

You can also "depot" nyx jumbo creamshadow stix from the stick itself into a small jar (I guess that is technically potting rather than depotting). So I thought maybe it could be done with regular eyeliners too. Maybe I'll try it and report back...
__________________
No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Kimshi4242

http://www.tumblr.com/blog/kimshi4242
The New Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:55 PM   #22
 
curlybran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 510
Default

Gotcha! Thank you!

Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
curlybran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:29 AM   #23
 
LuvinCurls80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 29
Default

Hi ladies,

You can buy illamasqua (sp?) at sephora either online or at a store near you. Another option you may want to try is gel eyeliner. It's usually a lot more dense and opaque in color but can still be smudged. It takes a little getting used to when smudging out the color. My favorite is from Clinique, however a cheaper alternative to try out would be L'oreal hip or wet n wild. HTH :-)
PhoenixThNuBlak likes this.
LuvinCurls80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:08 AM   #24
 
The New Black's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 13,683
Default

Good rec on the gel liner.

But sephora doesnt carry illamasqua e/l pencils, to my knowledge.
__________________
No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Kimshi4242

http://www.tumblr.com/blog/kimshi4242
The New Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:44 AM   #25
 
misspam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,192
Default

Love Bobbi Brown long-wear gel eyeliner. Easy to apply and lasts all day.
__________________
misspam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:30 AM   #26
 
CurlyCoilyMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 128
Default

i like thoose from the Nile soil there are also nu perfume or parabens in it.
__________________
Curly Beautys
CurlyCoilyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:07 PM   #27
 
Honeycurls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,592
Default

Hmm, I tried L'oreal HIP gel eyeliner once...and only once. Just didn't work for the look I was trying to achieve. The average person doesn't demand so much out of an everyday eyeliner the way I do. It's my spinach!

I've been coveting this smudger brush...I wonder if it's thinner than the MAC 228 I'm using now, which I'm finding more and more each day to be just a tad too thick for smudging everyday smoky eye looks--meaning thinner lines.

Any luck on finding those Illamasqua pencils stateside? Does MAC have a brown/black version of the Feline Kohl Power pencil? I don't recall seeing anything.

ETA: MAC has nothing, but I did find a coupon code at Retail Me Not that does work at Illamasqua.com. It's 15% off your order, and it does work. I'm one step closer to buying Sorceress Medium Pencil. :drool:
__________________
OK, I admit it.....I'm an alias! I wasn't born with the name Honeycurls!
Dood, get over it; there's no time limit on lurking.

I so busy runnin' allllllll over the place and ain't nobody chasin' me!

Last edited by Honeycurls; 11-18-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Honeycurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:20 PM   #28
 
The New Black's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 13,683
Default

I havent looked elsewhere for the pencils yet. But the brush looks a lot like the japonesque travel smudger. It's a lot cheaper than the mac 228, the bristles are very short and compact, and the bristles are also "thin" if you turn the brush to the side. I have the full size smudger, but I checked the website and dont see a full size just the travel size.

Edit: I checked and the brush I have is from Ulta not Japonesque. Good brush.
__________________
No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Kimshi4242

http://www.tumblr.com/blog/kimshi4242

Last edited by PhoenixThNuBlak; 11-19-2011 at 03:45 PM.
The New Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:28 AM   #29
 
Josephine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 16,553
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycurls View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephine View Post
I am exactly like you except I only wear blackest black. I love Mac's smoulder but it's true it doesn't have much staying power especially for my oily lids. I always use a primer and then use the mac angle brush and sometimes put black eyeshadow over it to help. I use smoulder when I go out at night since it only needs to last a few hours, so far for me, it's the blackest black.

For work and during the day I use urban decays 24 hour zero pencil. It's good. By the end of the day it's still on for the most part(not as fresh as the morning) which is pretty good for me. I wish it was darker but it's the darkest I can find that works for me. I've tried liquid but I don't have steady hand and I always need the angle brush to smooth it out.
Ok, let's try this again...first response wouldn't take.

I have really pale skin, and that's the only reason I usually avoid the blackest black liners, but the MAC Kohl Power Feline is a blackest black liner, and I love it so far. I haven't had occasion to wear it a full day, though. The 228 brush the associate suggested for smudging works pretty well, but, like I suspected, it's a bit thick and I don't have the level of control over the thickness of the smudge line that I like. She kept suggesting a pointy smudger brush also, and I wish I would have trusted her.

I don't like the harsh lines of liquids, but I have to say that the MAC associate had liquid liner on, and her makeup was flawless. If I'd had, I'd have had her do my makeup. She looked phenomenal.

The pencil does accumulate in the corners of the my eyes, like even the powders do, so I haven't found a way to combat that problem yet. Probably never will, outside of using a liquid liner only.

Next question: Any good sharpeners that don't simply eat up your pencil without even giving a good sharp point? One that doesn't give the pencil such a steep slant.
Okay, I don't fully understand, I thought you wanted a dark liner, lol but it's okay. I'm interested in the power feline pencil, is it actually darker than smolder?? I would love to try that. It is hard to find a liner that doesn't smudge at all if I wear it all day..I'm okay with it now. I have yet to find a good gel or liquid liner that is easy to apply.
Josephine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:50 AM   #30
 
Honeycurls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,592
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephine View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycurls View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephine View Post
I am exactly like you except I only wear blackest black. I love Mac's smoulder but it's true it doesn't have much staying power especially for my oily lids. I always use a primer and then use the mac angle brush and sometimes put black eyeshadow over it to help. I use smoulder when I go out at night since it only needs to last a few hours, so far for me, it's the blackest black.

For work and during the day I use urban decays 24 hour zero pencil. It's good. By the end of the day it's still on for the most part(not as fresh as the morning) which is pretty good for me. I wish it was darker but it's the darkest I can find that works for me. I've tried liquid but I don't have steady hand and I always need the angle brush to smooth it out.
Ok, let's try this again...first response wouldn't take.

I have really pale skin, and that's the only reason I usually avoid the blackest black liners, but the MAC Kohl Power Feline is a blackest black liner, and I love it so far. I haven't had occasion to wear it a full day, though. The 228 brush the associate suggested for smudging works pretty well, but, like I suspected, it's a bit thick and I don't have the level of control over the thickness of the smudge line that I like. She kept suggesting a pointy smudger brush also, and I wish I would have trusted her.

I don't like the harsh lines of liquids, but I have to say that the MAC associate had liquid liner on, and her makeup was flawless. If I'd had, I'd have had her do my makeup. She looked phenomenal.

The pencil does accumulate in the corners of the my eyes, like even the powders do, so I haven't found a way to combat that problem yet. Probably never will, outside of using a liquid liner only.

Next question: Any good sharpeners that don't simply eat up your pencil without even giving a good sharp point? One that doesn't give the pencil such a steep slant.
Okay, I don't fully understand, I thought you wanted a dark liner, lol but it's okay. I'm interested in the power feline pencil, is it actually darker than smolder?? I would love to try that. It is hard to find a liner that doesn't smudge at all if I wear it all day..I'm okay with it now. I have yet to find a good gel or liquid liner that is easy to apply.
Oh, no, no, nc.com was having issues that day, and the first response I typed up didn't post like I thought it did. I *do* want a dark liner. My first choice would be a very dark black/brown, but I'm open to blackest black as well. It's just not my first choice because my coloring is so weird, but it's almost impossible to find a good true, rich, dark brown/black.

I don't know what color Smolder actually is--I think it's regular black. But, the Power Kohl in Feline is a "blackest" black and while smudgeable for smoky looks, it has better staying power than the Smolder. And, after wearing it all this time, I have to say it stays no more or less than the eyeshadows I've been wearing as liner for the past 3 years. I have to touch up the corners later in the day--as always. I wish I could get away with not wearing liner into the corner (top corner only), but I just can't. I think you might like it, though. Only one way to find out...!
__________________
OK, I admit it.....I'm an alias! I wasn't born with the name Honeycurls!
Dood, get over it; there's no time limit on lurking.

I so busy runnin' allllllll over the place and ain't nobody chasin' me!
Honeycurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:09 AM   #31
 
Josephine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 16,553
Default

I've found out that Milanis (drugstore brand) liquify eyeliner has more staying power than urban decay 24/7 and it's a soft pencil that you can smudge(but you have to do it quickly before it dries out). I found this by doing some research online, its my second day using it and it fades a tiny bit(my lids are extremely oily and i am not using primer now) but didnt not run(like smolder) or fade much(like urban decay).
Josephine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:17 AM   #32
 
Honeycurls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,592
Default

Thanks! I'm going to check Milani out because I really need to find a good brown/black. The blackest black really doesn't go well with my coloring. I'm finding that the staying power of the Kohl Power isn't that great and fades and runs around the inner corners throughout the day.
__________________
OK, I admit it.....I'm an alias! I wasn't born with the name Honeycurls!
Dood, get over it; there's no time limit on lurking.

I so busy runnin' allllllll over the place and ain't nobody chasin' me!
Honeycurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:02 AM   #33
 
Josephine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 16,553
Default

Milani Cosmetics - LIQUIF EYE Metallic Eyeliner Pencil

They have a brown that looks pretty dark.
Josephine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:36 AM   #34
 
rouquinne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 17,487
Send a message via ICQ to rouquinne Send a message via MSN to rouquinne
Default

i'm another MAC girl, also very pale, and i always carry Teddy and Prunella kohl in my bag with me.
__________________
My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
rouquinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:53 PM   #35
 
Honeycurls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,592
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephine View Post
Milani Cosmetics - LIQUIF EYE Metallic Eyeliner Pencil

They have a brown that looks pretty dark.
The one shown is still not dark enough. My eyes, lashes, brows, and roots are super dark brown. When I was a kid, the other kids used to argue with me that my hair was black--it's that dark--until you see me next to someone with black hair. There's been a lot of lightening of my hair, by my brows and lashes are very dark, though very fine, so I need a black/brown. Browns are never dark enough, even though my skin is very pale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouquinne View Post
i'm another MAC girl, also very pale, and i always carry Teddy and Prunella kohl in my bag with me.
Thanks, rou, but I need dark. With my bone structure and coloring, I can't pull off any colors like that. I heard that their regular kohls don't last.
__________________
OK, I admit it.....I'm an alias! I wasn't born with the name Honeycurls!
Dood, get over it; there's no time limit on lurking.

I so busy runnin' allllllll over the place and ain't nobody chasin' me!
Honeycurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:12 AM   #36
 
rouquinne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 17,487
Send a message via ICQ to rouquinne Send a message via MSN to rouquinne
Default

they don't last, which is why i carry them around with me!

LOL!
__________________
My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
rouquinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:26 AM   #37
 
Honeycurls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,592
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouquinne View Post
they don't last, which is why i carry them around with me!

LOL!
LOL, ya, that's what I suspected.
_____________________________________

So I broke down and ordered two black/brown pencils from Illamasqua. Merry xmas to me, I guess. I will give a review of them in case anyone's interested. It's going to be a couple of weeks probably before they're delivered.
PhoenixThNuBlak likes this.
__________________
OK, I admit it.....I'm an alias! I wasn't born with the name Honeycurls!
Dood, get over it; there's no time limit on lurking.

I so busy runnin' allllllll over the place and ain't nobody chasin' me!
Honeycurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:20 AM   #38
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,980
Default

I've been loving gel liner lately! I got a 3 pack from physician's formula on sale just to give it a try. It's the green eye palate and has black (with little green flecks in it but they aren't noticeable on), a nice green, and a rich purple. I haven't used any other liner since I got it! I have so much more control with the brush. I can layer on if I want and I don't have to sharpen it. The pots are fairly large so they last a long time.

My issue with pencil liners was the sharpening. They would always break once I got a good point. I also wasn't getting quite the line I wanted. Gels so far have allowed me to experiment better with different line shapes etc. They smudge fairly well too and have good staying power.
KookyCurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:39 AM   #39
 
Honeycurls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,592
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KookyCurl View Post
I've been loving gel liner lately! I got a 3 pack from physician's formula on sale just to give it a try. It's the green eye palate and has black (with little green flecks in it but they aren't noticeable on), a nice green, and a rich purple. I haven't used any other liner since I got it! I have so much more control with the brush. I can layer on if I want and I don't have to sharpen it. The pots are fairly large so they last a long time.

My issue with pencil liners was the sharpening. They would always break once I got a good point. I also wasn't getting quite the line I wanted. Gels so far have allowed me to experiment better with different line shapes etc. They smudge fairly well too and have good staying power.
Yes, I'm having those exact problems as we speak with my MAC pencil. Seems that I'm just sharpening it all away trying to get a thin enough line, then the tippy top just breaks or flakes off. I remember that being one of the major reasons I started looking for another way to line my eyes. I think sharpeners are designed to eat up the pencils.

So, the gel smudges well? I tried a gel from Loreal, and it was just a mess for smudging. It didn't give a smoky edge at all. The line just kept getting thicker and thicker.
__________________
OK, I admit it.....I'm an alias! I wasn't born with the name Honeycurls!
Dood, get over it; there's no time limit on lurking.

I so busy runnin' allllllll over the place and ain't nobody chasin' me!
Honeycurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:00 PM   #40
 
itsiliii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 334
Default

makeup forever eye pencil is pretty good!
__________________
cat...im a kitty cat...and i dance dance dance
2B/2C hair!

Shampoo: GTTT, SheaMoisture
Condish Tresemme naturals, GFTN
DT: Lustrasilk + honey
LI: KCKT, GVP CB
Styling products: Ouidad CC, TIGI Catwalk, KCCC, PaulMitchell Sculpting Foam
Oils: Coconut
itsiliii is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Trending Topics[-]hide

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com