I have 2a hair past my waist that I have been blowing out straight or flat ironing forever. Sometimes I would curl with a 1.5 inch curling iron if time permitted in the mornings. I stopped washing my hair every day years ago since it made it really dry. I never considered not using shampoo until I came upon this website. I was searching for "wash and go" long hair on Google and I'm thankful I've found this great resource. I would love to just accept my wavy hair and do whatever I can to make it look nice naturally since I'm a new mom and want to simplify life! I've attached one picture of my hair in a more natural state.
I'm trying my hardest to sort through the information here so I can have softer, easier to manage hair. I did order the Curly Girl book off Amazon. From what I gather I need to
1) Clarify my hair first. I would like a product suggestion for this? Preferably drugstore brand however I do have an Ulta nearby.
2) I'm getting a hair cut this weekend.
3) I don't think I'll buy any new brushes for now since finger combing seems to work for my hair.
4) Purchase a non-silicone based conditioner for co-wash and (rinse out? - I don't know what the difference between co-wash and RO is). I've decided to try the Suave Naturals Coconut conditioner. I have LOTS of hair and go through tons of conditioner so this seems like a good place to start that others seem happy with. I'm not opposed to more expensive options but I prefer something I can easily pick up when I go grocery shopping.
5) Rinse hair with cool water
6) Since I have wavy hair, wait five minutes or so before applying product - I need help here. I need some kind of leave-in or product that will leave my wavy hair soft, but still defined.
7) I'm thinking I can use my baby's jersey blankets for plopping. They are large enough for all of my hair and are already square and made of jersey material.
After plopping air dry. I really don't want to use a hair dryer if at all possible. It's been taking a really long time for my hair to air dry however since it's sooo long.
Does this sound reasonable? I guess I need the most help on product suggestions (Drugstore brand or reasonably priced at Ulta.)