View Poll Results: What do you prefer?
Mutt 34 73.91%
Pure breed 12 26.09%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Mutt or Pure Breed dog?

Easy now.

My observation is that many shelter dogs can be purebred. People often get a dog and have no real idea of how much care or expense they need, and just abandon them or leave them at a shelter. The number of rescue organizations for purebred dogs tells us this.
My observation is that many shelter dogs can be purebred. People often get a dog and have no real idea of how much care or expense they need, and just abandon them or leave them at a shelter. The number of rescue organizations for purebred dogs tells us this.

The purebreeds that end up in shelters are generally the result of backyard breeders...no better than puppymills. A reputable breeder will always take back their own puppies, no matter the age or reason, and find homes for them.
People are not doing animals any favors by breeding them.
I strongly disagree with this. A good breeder always has the health of the breed in mind before doing a breeding. There are reasons why certain breeds have come about. Many breeds have specific temperments and tasks bred into them...herding, hunting, working, etc. A good breeder will select for these traits, while also keeping diversity and health in the genetic line. A backyard/puppy mill breeder is in it for the money, period, and that's how breed lines become compromised.
Yay a dog thread!
I voted purebred because I love my chihuahuas but I have mixed breed and purebred rescues that don't know they're not royalty
I like purebred in some breeds cases because I know what the heck I'm getting if I do my research.
I got several pups that were supposed to stay 25 lbs or under and boy that was a huge stretch. I had rotties and some big ole lab mixes (ok still have one big lab mix the rotties are gone to the rainbow bridge) and I'm just not nimble enough or have enough energy for a bigger breed anymore. Training or not they need exercise and well I need a nap.
Chis always like a good nap Plus they're like me look sweet but have a big bite hehe
2c/3a?
Low porosity, medium texture.
http://public.fotki.com/Medusahair/

If it smells good put it in your hair, if it tastes good spit it out!
I am perplexed by the hostility and prejudice against breeders. Have the posters who reject the "breeding industry" (which, in the case of careful breeders, is no more an "industry" than artwork like handcrafted pottery or jewelry) actually met and talked to reputable breeders?

One of our breeders is a vet. She breeds for conformation and health. She would not allow a dog with poor health to be bred. Our other breeder has dedicated her adult life to the breed. She bought bouviers from Europe to improve her bloodlines. She breeds for stable and non-aggressive temperment as well as health. We checked very carefully with both for a history in the parents dogs for hip dyspasia, which is common in large breeds.

If you do not neuter or spay your pet, and cannot guarantee that they do not breed with other dogs, you end up becoming part of the problem. This is the reason why shelters spay and neuter. Most people cannot easily find good homes for a litter of puppies or kittens, nor can take the animals back if the home placement doesn't work. They also cannot provide a health guarantee as breeders can.

As for letting nature take its course, talk to people who grow up on farms. You'll hear about litters dying and puppies and kittens deformed from inbreeding. Feline leukemia is pandemic in farm cats.

While I support the Humane Society, my personal experience with the local shelter has been very negative. The health of the animals is poorly monitored and maintained, and inadequately screened. Many of the animals are "repeat customers." Very little information is usually available to prospective pet owners, which can have very unforturnate results. On the other hand, I would not discourage anyone from including a shelter in their pet search.
formerly Castella
(my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
[quote="RedCatWaves"]
You are obviously letting your emotions run your argument, which seems to be "Oh, the poor poor dogs...lets spay/neuter every quality animal and only let the dirtbags breed and then we'll adopt them all as pets and live happily ever after". Please...
I won't bang my head against the wall over you, I do enough of that with people at my job. Yes, my job is animal rescue. and I have to deal with callousness such as yours on a daily basis...do you think your words shock me? Sorry to say they do not.

As far as my emotions, yes...I guess I do get emotional after a day of seeing things that I see. Like a group of near death, starved puppies desperately trying to nurse off of their dead mother who has been tied to a tree and abandoned. Like a dog whose collar has grown so far into her skin, the skin has actually grown completely over the collar and required surgery for it to be removed. Like a pig who is forced to live in a 4 foot by 4 foot pen piled 2 feet deep with her own feces where she can't even turn around only to finally be killed by having neighbors let her out, and then throw butcher knives at her until she collpases. YES, true. Horses with a body score of 0. Don't know what that looks like? Look it up.
Kittens that have been used for target practice and lived.
These animals that are "dirtbags" end up being the most appreciative and most loving creatures you have ever seen in your life.

But y'know...I guess I'm just emotional.
I'll just quote your words and let the posts speak for themselves....

-------------------------------------------------

Thank you to the awesome curlies who adopt and who see VALUE in the eyes of an unwanted, discarded, animal who may not have "papers" or some sort of twisted idea of "worth" but who has a lot of love to give despite the harshness and coldness of this sick world.

Thank you curlies....I very much appreciate you, you help make my job worth doing. You help me look past the constant heartbreak of these animals and help me to see the happy endings of these little souls.
Thank you to those who are part of the solution...
I would never be able to work in a shelter like that. I love animals. It would break my heart.

by the way, I am not AGAINST GOOD breeders who try to do right by their animals and are trying to better the breed. I can't say that I really support them simply because I don't understand how people can willingly produce MORE dogs when tens of thousands of healthy, adoptable dogs are being killed in county shelters all over the country. It doesn't make much sense. However, like I said I am not AGAINST THOSE breeders, thought I do not agree with them. AND like I said, spaying and neutering GREATLY reduces the risk of certain types of cancers, so the health risks don't seem worth it either.

My point is that people give shelter animals a bad rap, and make them out to be unworthy, or ill bred cast offs. But y'know that is just a commentary on how sick our society is.... an animal who has love to give is killed because mommy and daddy were strays. God Forbid.

And Kurlee... I love animals, too. That is the point. Does it make me cry? Does it turn my stomach? YES. But I love animals too much. Those who adopt from shelters and give a homeless animal a second chance love animals too much, too. And like I said, the adopters are what keeps animal rescue folks going.... The happy endings. Without them, none of us would be able to handle it for very long.

Peace.
Yagotta.
I won't bang my head against the wall over you, I do enough of that with people at my job. Yes, my job is animal rescue. and I have to deal with callousness such as yours on a daily basis...do you think your words shock me? Sorry to say they do not.

As far as my emotions, yes...I guess I do get emotional after a day of seeing things that I see. Like a group of near death, starved puppies desperately trying to nurse off of their dead mother who has been tied to a tree and abandoned. Like a dog whose collar has grown so far into her skin, the skin has actually grown completely over the collar and required surgery for it to be removed. Like a pig who is forced to live in a 4 foot by 4 foot pen piled 2 feet deep with her own feces where she can't even turn around only to finally be killed by having neighbors let her out, and then throw butcher knives at her until she collpases. YES, true. Horses with a body score of 0. Don't know what that looks like? Look it up.
Kittens that have been used for target practice and lived.
These animals that are "dirtbags" end up being the most appreciative and most loving creatures you have ever seen in your life.

But y'know...I guess I'm just emotional.
I'll just quote your words and let the posts speak for themselves....

By dirtbags, I was talking about the PEOPLE who breed their animals indescriminately, not the animals.

You do seem emotionally charged on this subject. I think it's obvious that you don't come into contact with good breeders too often. I guess that's a good thing, because it means good breeders are doing their jobs. I've met some wonderful, caring breeders of the dog breed that I own. Amazing people who have done amazing things for the breed.

I happen to own a rescued cat from a shelter, so I'm not all bad. I just don't want a dog from there.
While I support the Humane Society, my personal experience with the local shelter has been very negative. The health of the animals is poorly monitored and maintained, and inadequately screened. Many of the animals are "repeat customers." Very little information is usually available to prospective pet owners, which can have very unforturnate results. On the other hand, I would not discourage anyone from including a shelter in their pet search.
Originally Posted by Castella
My local Humane Society takes great care of their animals. It's our local pound that has the conditions that you described. They couldn't tell us where Cyrano came from and the first day we took him home, we discovered he had very bloody stool. We called the shelter to ask why they didn't tell us, and they had no clue. They also told us to bring him in and they'll "exchange" him for another dog. My SO and I took him the vet instead and luckily, he was fine. It irked me that another person might have taken them up on their offer, and an ultimately healthy dog would have been put down.
www.myspace.com/littlemonkey0403
3B that is no longer CG, but still endeavors to have healthy hair by not using sulfates.
RedCatWaves...

We are just at totally opposite ends of the spectrum.
Like I said, I'll let your posts speak for themselves.

peace.
The reason why some county shelters are a little rough is because they HAVE to take in EVERY animal that comes through their doors. And they are usually not well-staffed, as well as they don't get a lot of training. They just don't have the means. Plus sometimes some of them can get a little jaded, having to constantly euthanize animals because people "don't want a shelter dog ". It gets hard for them to deal. They don't WANT to do it, they HAVE to do it because more people aren't part of the solution.

My shelter is a private non-profit shelter specializing in rehabilitation. We also go around to local shelters when we have time and try to educate them on health issues, proper care, etc. It's a group effort. From your little one person rescue facility to your private rehabbers to county shelters....to specific breed rescue. It's a team effort.

There are so many awesome animals out there available for adoption.
Petfinders.org is an awesome place to find a animal in need of a home.

I'm telling you, there is no love quite like that of an animal who has been given a second chance at life. You will find NO greater love....
We are just at totally opposite ends of the spectrum.


Because I used a reputable breeder and am a responsible pet owner of a spayed purebred, I'm not as good as you...the martyr...who will only own near-death dogs...OK, got it.

I'm not the one with a 12 year old dog bought from a backyard breeder...I knew better. I've always known better.

I've owned many dogs in my life...all from shelters (with mixed results, but I always kept my committment to care for them for life), until I was able to afford better quality dogs that better suited my lifestyle. And, like I said, my cat was a shelter rescue. But you go on thinking you're better than anyone because you've seen half-starved and abuse animals...like everyone else hasn't...
I'm telling you, there is no love quite like that of an animal who has been given a second chance at life. You will find NO greater love....

That is such a fairy tale. Sure, there are some great rescue dogs, but they are not ALL full of love. Some of them bite. Some of them chew. Some of them run. Rescue is great, but it's not a panacea.
Redcatwaves...

You have a really strange way of seeing things.

Your words reveal a lot.
You have a really strange way of seeing things.

I'm just not blinded by emotion. I live in the real world.
oh my gosh.
No you didn't just say that.
You must have been looking in a mirror when you said that.

sigh.

ok, buh-bye, redcatwaves... I won't be discussing this with you anymore.
I can see nothing is getting through.

peace.
You are obviously passionate about your rescue work. I just think you would do more justice to your cause by being truthful, or at least realistic. Not all shelter adoptions are sunshine and light. Saying there is "NO greater love" is just silly. Maybe it will be love, maybe it won't. With rescues, it's very very important to get a good owner/dog match before the adoption occurs.

Saying ALL breeders should be avoided is just as silly. I've merely been trying to inject a little reality into your hyperbolic statements.
I just think you would do more justice to your cause by being truthful, or at least realistic.
Originally Posted by RedCatWaves
I am 100% truthful and 100% realistic. There is nothing dishonest or unrealistic about what I've said in any of posts. You are the one who is saying most shelter dogs are virtually unadoptable. and you won't adopt one, like they are a piece of dirt stuck to the bottom of your shoe. That is just bizarre, you don't have much animal experience if you spew that kind of nonsense. And to try to cast such a negative light on rescue animals, how dare you? You are so part of the problem and you don't even realize it. You really should volunteer at a rescue and get some one on one time, work with a behaviorist.

Not all shelter adoptions are sunshine and light.
Originally Posted by RedCatWaves
Now, exactly where did I say that?

Saying there is "NO greater love" is just silly.
Originally Posted by RedCatWaves
You are so wrong. You obviously haven't experienced working with rescue animals. It is not silly at all to say that there is no greater love coming from an abused animal who has learned to trust again. You think it's silly...I think it's priceless.

With rescues, it's very very important to get a good owner/dog match before the adoption occurs.
Originally Posted by RedCatWaves
Honey, you are preaching to the choir. Our rescue has an extremely low return rate due to the fact that we know our animals so well and our screening process is such that we match people up with the animal that would work best in their situation.

Saying ALL breeders should be avoided is just as silly. I've merely been trying to inject a little reality into your hyperbolic statements.
Originally Posted by RedCatWaves
You still don't get it.


I will apologize for saying "Buh-bye... blah blah blah." That was pretty rude of me, so I am sorry. I didn't really mean that and it wasn't a nice thing to say.

I think we need to just realize that we are just on different sides of this issue...and just agree to disagree. We aren't really being productive here.

peace.
yagotta.
I thought you were done conversing with me??

I didn't say they were unadoptable...obviously, since I've adopted rescues myself...just that you were spewing hyperbole in your attempt to make it seem like shelter rescue is the only decent social choice when obtaining a pet. I'm just trying to defend the right for people to buy well-bred dogs from reputable breeders. People who do that aren't the anti-christs of dogdom.

Trending Topics


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com