Moving is awful! *How reputable is Craigslist?*

Or more accurately, the attempt to do so is awful. Finding housing without a job is a bit more of a struggle than I thought it'd be, since we've offered to sign a three-month lease and pay for all of it in advance. Every place I've spoken with still requires proof of employment.

There have been no bites on the resumes I've sent out. I've been rejected from one company because I don't already live in the new city, but at least they responded. And it's tough to apply for a retail job when you're living too far away to walk in the store and fill out the paperwork.

It's kind of a vicious cycle of suck. I'm looking at crashing at an extended-stay hotel in the new city until we can nail down jobs, but we wouldn't have a place for all our own stuff unless we can find an affordable storage unit. That might be the best way to go at this point, because so far no apartment people have been willing to work with us.

Staying put for the next however months will eat up the rest of our savings, as there are no jobs here in rural BFE.

Boo hiss to this process.
http://unpavedpath.blogspot.com/

Last edited by automaticflowers; 12-02-2010 at 12:53 PM.
I'm sorry you're having a rough time. You could always get a PO box in the new city so you don't get weeded out for jobs from the get-go. Or if you know someone in the new city, maybe you could use their address on job applications.

That sucks about the apartment hunting. My mom is selling her condo so she can rent a nice place by the beach. The new rental place require first and last month's rent, $1000 damage deposit and proof that she has four months rent in the bank since she's retired.
Thanks, guys. My dad offered to act as cosigner for us if push comes to shove, so we've still got hope.

MrsP, $1,000 sounds like a crazy amount for a damage deposit. I hope your mom has an easy time offloading her condo. Beachfront sounds heavenly!
http://unpavedpath.blogspot.com/
Sorry you're going through this, I hope it all works out soon for you!

I went through some unemployment/underemployment for a couple years and my mom helped me out by co-signing on my lease agreement, since my work history wasn't solid. Definitely take your dad up on his offer!
(((HUGS)))

I'm so sorry that you are going thru this, especially during the holiday season.
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
(((HUGS)))

I'm so sorry that you are going thru this, especially during the holiday season.
Originally Posted by Lotsawaves
+1 I hope the new year brings better times for you.
2/c and some 3A. Modified CG.
Protein sensitive
Highly porous. Color over grey.
Best 1st day method: Super Soaker
Conditioners: Curl Junkie Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner,
Deep condish: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab
Stylers: Mix Curls in a Bottle into everything for shine. Terrible pj
Sometimes try roller sets - classic glamor but I prefer my curls.
Every day is a gift
Thank you for the kind words, wild~hair, lotsa and curlypearl.

Has anyone ever found a place to live via Craigslist? I'm having a bit of trouble sussing out which ads are the real deal and which are too good to be true. One townhouse in particular. I emailed the dude asking some questions, and his response was more like a form letter, not directly answering any of those questions.

Then he said every adult who will live in the townhouse needs to get a free credit report from this site, which I'm not familiar with. He wrote, "This is a soft credit report so it won't touch your FICO score." ??? I'm inclined to forget about it and keep looking. $600/month, all utilities (except electric) paid for a two-story, two-bedroom townhome is probably not real, yeah?
http://unpavedpath.blogspot.com/
None of that sounds terribly suspicious to me, credit reports for renting are very common, especially nowadays. He likely made the point that it wouldn't affect your score because if you go apply at 5 places to rent and pull 5 full credit reports within a short time span, it looks bad on your credit rating.

If $600/mo sounds too good to be true, it's probably because it's a s***hole or in a crime-ridden part of town, not because he's trying to scam you. At least that's been my experience. But I'm a firm believer in checking things out anyway, can't hurt and you'll learn more about what you do and do not want in a place. Besides, you don't need to pull a credit report just for looking.

As far as Craigslist, that is the only way I've found rentals, and I've been renting since before Craigslist, and moving a lot! Seriously: 8 rentals in 12± years now and all of them found on Craigslist. You do have to beware scam artists on Craigslist, but as long as you're careful and don't hand anyone a check prematurely, you should be fine. Craigslist usually posts info about any recent scam activity, so look for that.

Another thing is, don't go looking at rentals by yourself. Always bring someone with you. But you knew that already, right?

Good luck!
Thank you for the kind words, wild~hair, lotsa and curlypearl.

Has anyone ever found a place to live via Craigslist? I'm having a bit of trouble sussing out which ads are the real deal and which are too good to be true. One townhouse in particular. I emailed the dude asking some questions, and his response was more like a form letter, not directly answering any of those questions.

Then he said every adult who will live in the townhouse needs to get a free credit report from this site, which I'm not familiar with. He wrote, "This is a soft credit report so it won't touch your FICO score." ??? I'm inclined to forget about it and keep looking. $600/month, all utilities (except electric) paid for a two-story, two-bedroom townhome is probably not real, yeah?
Originally Posted by automaticflowers
This sounds scamtastic to me. First, the indirect form letter. Second, bringing up credit reports before you've even looked at the place. Everyone knows you get your credit pulled before you can get a lease, so why does this guy want to do it yourself?

Definitely don't give anyone any personal information like your SSN until you've seen the place and actually want to rent it. In the current economy its easy for scammers to get people in sticky situations like yourself to give up their personal info. Don't let that happen.
"And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
Stolen.
Thank you for the kind words, wild~hair, lotsa and curlypearl.

Has anyone ever found a place to live via Craigslist? I'm having a bit of trouble sussing out which ads are the real deal and which are too good to be true. One townhouse in particular. I emailed the dude asking some questions, and his response was more like a form letter, not directly answering any of those questions.

Then he said every adult who will live in the townhouse needs to get a free credit report from this site, which I'm not familiar with. He wrote, "This is a soft credit report so it won't touch your FICO score." ??? I'm inclined to forget about it and keep looking. $600/month, all utilities (except electric) paid for a two-story, two-bedroom townhome is probably not real, yeah?
Originally Posted by automaticflowers
That sounds extremely fishy to me. I think your instincts are great so trust them on this. {{Hugs}} for having to go through such a tough patch, but I'm impressed by how your are finding solutions. I like the PO Box idea, also storing your stuff and apartment hunting from an extended stay hotel. There's nothing like being on the ground and seeing with your own eyes.
My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/


Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
If you are comfortable with it, post the general areas you are looking at, and some of us Colorado curlies might be able to at least let you know if they are skeevie areas.


P.S.
It's supposed to be 60 degrees today
When I grow up, I wanna be a Jiujitsu Turtle!

My british name, courtesy of Ninja Dog Shade Haven-Staffordshire: TRBL Hough Jewelstone Turtleneck

Its chaos a few hairs at a time. ~Minxy
None of that sounds terribly suspicious to me, credit reports for renting are very common, especially nowadays. He likely made the point that it wouldn't affect your score because if you go apply at 5 places to rent and pull 5 full credit reports within a short time span, it looks bad on your credit rating.

If $600/mo sounds too good to be true, it's probably because it's a s***hole or in a crime-ridden part of town, not because he's trying to scam you. At least that's been my experience. But I'm a firm believer in checking things out anyway, can't hurt and you'll learn more about what you do and do not want in a place. Besides, you don't need to pull a credit report just for looking.

As far as Craigslist, that is the only way I've found rentals, and I've been renting since before Craigslist, and moving a lot! Seriously: 8 rentals in 12± years now and all of them found on Craigslist. You do have to beware scam artists on Craigslist, but as long as you're careful and don't hand anyone a check prematurely, you should be fine. Craigslist usually posts info about any recent scam activity, so look for that.

Another thing is, don't go looking at rentals by yourself. Always bring someone with you. But you knew that already, right?

Good luck!
Originally Posted by wild~hair
I disagree. If the rent sounds too low, it probably is a scam. People copy real ads and place fake ads on Craigslist with low, low rent. Then they take your deposit and you never hear from them. Another scam is that they actually let you move in and they collect rent from you, when the property is really in foreclosure or bank-owned and they have no tie to it whatsoever. While every ad on Craigslist isn't fake, you have to be careful about the ones that have low rent.

Also, I'm not sure about the credit report link you posted, but there is one like that that's used by the fake apartment people. They then steal your identity at the same time they take your deposit money.

Craigslist is the way most landlords advertise their properties so you're pretty much stuck with it. However, you need to be really careful who you give money and personal information to.
I've found every apartment I've lived in (which I guess is only 3) from Craigslist. However, in my area at least, virtually every add on there is from a realtor of some kind. Basically, you see an apartment you like, then you call/email them and set up an appointment to see all the apartments they know about that fit your criteria.

My last apartment I found the same way, although the add definitely made it seem "too good to be true". I still have no idea why it was so cheap. It was worth probably $400/month more than I paid! From what I can figure out it's probably that the person renting it was mostly dealing with sales, and didn't know much about apartments.
"I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
Glad to see some of you have had positive experiences with Craigslist, I'll up the rent amount and keep looking. And thanks for backing up my suspicions.

A few areas I'm looking at, for any CO curlies who know them:

Englewood, specifically S. Acoma
E. Mississippi Ave. in Denver
Dayton Way in Denver

Also, what's Aurora like?
http://unpavedpath.blogspot.com/
If $600/mo sounds too good to be true, it's probably because it's a s***hole or in a crime-ridden part of town, not because he's trying to scam you. At least that's been my experience. But I'm a firm believer in checking things out anyway, can't hurt and you'll learn more about what you do and do not want in a place. Besides, you don't need to pull a credit report just for looking.
Originally Posted by wild~hair
I disagree. If the rent sounds too low, it probably is a scam. People copy real ads and place fake ads on Craigslist with low, low rent. Then they take your deposit and you never hear from them.
Originally Posted by mrspoppers
Well that's your right, of course. But I did say that's been my experience, so it's not really a point for disagreement.

Scams are out there for sure, and the things you mention here do happen, but honestly, they are not the norm. As I mention in my post, there are resources to guard against them [reading the alerts and cautions on Craigslist].

AF definitely needs to be cautious here, but if she's going to get this done, she really needs to just go and check some of these things out. It can't hurt, as long as she brings a friend or her SO and doesn't hand over any money or anything. That's how you learn about a rental market in a new town, which is something I've done many times, in many different cities.

You [gy] can ask people for advice, IRL or online, but you're the person who has to live there, after all. That being true, the only way to get to the bottom of it is to go out there and look at stuff.
A few areas I'm looking at, for any CO curlies who know them:

Englewood, specifically S. Acoma
E. Mississippi Ave. in Denver
Dayton Way in Denver

Also, what's Aurora like?
None of those areas set off alarm bells for me. I lived pretty close to the Dayton Way area for about 10 years (there is a fabulous mexican restraunt just south of there called Dora's). I currently live south of the Englewood area, and if I remember correctly, that area is mostly older homes that are generally well kept up.

Aurora is the 2nd largest city in Colorado, and as such has a WIDE variety of neighborhoods. Generally speaking southern Aurora is considered nicer than northern.

There's my 2 cents anyway
When I grow up, I wanna be a Jiujitsu Turtle!

My british name, courtesy of Ninja Dog Shade Haven-Staffordshire: TRBL Hough Jewelstone Turtleneck

Its chaos a few hairs at a time. ~Minxy
Thanks! I have a friend who lives in Aurora, but the few times I've sent him apartment listings he's told me it's in a bad part of town.

ApartmentRatings.com is pretty awesome, btw. I've been able to rule out a ton of places using those reviews.
http://unpavedpath.blogspot.com/

Trending Topics


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com