Girls, please help me! My mom wants me to go to the doc for my hair!

This will be very long so please be patient and I appreciate your patience and time.

About two years ago, I would get random hives all over my arms for no reason. But in the winter, my face would swell up whnever I am exposed to the cold air. I never discovered that until last year where I was volunteering outside and it was freezing cold, and as a result I had a full severe allergic reaction to the cold weather and I wa rushed to the doctor to get treatment. I had cortisicone injection to calm down the inflammation of my body. I was told that it was to be staying in my body for approx. 6 months but did not work at all. From that day, I had to take antihistamine tablets every single day to prevent unexpected hives. That worked well. Howver a few months later, I discovered that I have irregular/heavy periods and I went back to the doc and he said it could be the diet. I was having doubts but I went ahead to change my diet to a better one. My periods have not improved but they lasted much more longer than two weeks. I went to another doc to get another opinion and was told that the cortisicone injection was the cause of my irregular periods and then was prescribed birth control pills for a short period of time. It's working well but it's awful at giving you PMS at wrong timings! But I'm almost done my exams so I can manage the pain for a few more months.

Now I started the CG method in March, after I got my trim. My hair is still wonderful to this day but my mom is highly doubtful of this method. But as some of you told me to just forget it and move on with my own hair. I have baby-fine hair and when I started the method, I discovered the true volume of my hair without frizz. It's thinner than the volume when my hair had a lot of frizz. I am aware that thicker curly hair is an optical illusion which is true because if you look at the strands individually it's actually thinner than we expected - I tried to explain this to my mom but she refuses to listen. Anywyays, back to the topic, last night I was taking a shower and I left some conditioner in and then applied styling products and then leave it for air-drying. Keep in mind that I usually don't towel-dry my hair because it causes a bit of frizz (I'll fix that later) but I sometimes dry with a cotton towel. So most of water stay in my hair so that's why my hair looks so "thin". So when I got ot of the shower last night, my mom was very shocked to see how thin my hair is. I have tried explaining the reasons of hair loss to her - BC pills, stress, diet, iron deficiency, medical problems, hormone imbalance, everything! She still wouldn't listen to me. Now she told me that she wants me to go to another doctor but she said that it's not only about the hair loss. It could be a sign of a medical problem within my body (ie thyroid disorder because of the symptoms I explained to you above). I'm afraid that when we go to the doc's office. she will point out that it's the CG method (i take a shower everyday, I have to use a lot of conditioner for my hair, etc.)and the doc will say something like, "use a shampoo!" This is what I am very afraid of. I don't want to give up this method as it's working well for my hair. But my mom is very skeptical of this method.

What should I do?!

P.S. When I came out of the shower and my mom saw my hair, she said she can see my scalp at the back of my hair. This frightened me a bit first but it could be because my hair is baby-fine.

Last edited by curlesque424; 05-31-2011 at 01:41 PM.
DEFINITELY go to the doctor to have yourself checked out and tested for all kinds of things.

But the kind of conditioner and shampoo (or lack of shampoo) you are using on your hair has NOTHING to do with hair loss assuming that you are not allergic to the product in some way that is causing the hair loss. Hair loss is something that happens from within. If you are allergic to a product, it could cause an allergic reaction WITHIN your body and cause the hair loss.

The products you are using can clearly affect how thin/thick your hair LOOKS, but that's it.

GO TO THE DOCTOR.
"I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
This will be very long so please be patient and I appreciate your patience and time.

About two years ago, I would get random hives all over my arms for no reason. But in the winter, my face would swell up whnever I am exposed to the cold air. I never discovered that until last year where I was volunteering outside and it was freezing cold, and as a result I had a full severe allergic reaction to the cold weather and I wa rushed to the doctor to get treatment. I had cortisicone injection to calm down the inflammation of my body. I was told that it was to be staying in my body for approx. 6 months but did not work at all. From that day, I had to take antihistamine tablets every single day to prevent unexpected hives. That worked well. Howver a few months later, I discovered that I have irregular/heavy periods and I went back to the doc and he said it could be the diet. I was having doubts but I went ahead to change my diet to a better one. My periods have not improved but they lasted much more longer than two weeks. I went to another doc to get another opinion and was told that the cortisicone injection was the cause of my irregular periods and then was prescribed birth control pills for a short period of time. It's working well but it's awful at giving you PMS at wrong timings! But I'm almost done my exams so I can manage the pain for a few more months.

Now I started the CG method in March, after I got my trim. My hair is still wonderful to this day but my mom is highly doubtful of this method. But as some of you told me to just forget it and move on with my own hair. I have baby-fine hair and when I started the method, I discovered the true volume of my hair without frizz. It's thinner than the volume when my hair had a lot of frizz. I am aware that thicker curly hair is an optical illusion which is true because if you look at the strands individually it's actually thinner than we expected - I tried to explain this to my mom but she refuses to listen. Anywyay back to the topic, last night I was taking a shower and I left some conditioner in and then applied styling products and then leave it for air-drying. Keep in mind that I usually don't towel-dry my hair because I'm lazy lol but I sometimes dry with a cotton towel. So most of water stay in my hair so that's why my hair looks so "thin". So when I got ot of the shower last night, my mom was very shocked to see how thin my hair is. I have tried explaining the reasons of hair loss to her - BC pills, stress, diet, iron deficiency, medical problems, hormone imbalance, everything! She still wouldn't listen to me. Now she told me that she wants me to go to another doctor but she said that it's not only about the hair loss. It could be a sign of a medical problem within my body (ie thyroid disorder because of the symptoms I explained to you above). I'm afraid that when we go to the doc's office. she will point out that it's the CG method (i take a shower everyday, I have to use a lot of conditioner for my hair, etc.)and the doc will say something like, "use a shampoo!" This is what I am very afraid of. I don't want to give up this method as it's working well for my hair. But my mom is very skeptical of this method.

What should I do?!

P.S. When I came out of the shower and my mom saw my hair, she said she can see my scalp at the back of my hair. This frightened me a bit first but it could be because my hair is baby-fine.
Originally Posted by curlesque424

What i think is is that you should go to the doctor because maybe it could be something serious and it is just creeping up on you. I would rather you know whats going on with your body and have no hair rather then end up getting really sick and having hair.
Yes that's true. I don't have an allergy to a substance except to cold air and water. What I am afraid is that my mom will tell the doctor about the CG-method and the doctor might say, "stop leaving in the conditioner," or something like that.
This will be very long so please be patient and I appreciate your patience and time.

About two years ago, I would get random hives all over my arms for no reason. But in the winter, my face would swell up whnever I am exposed to the cold air. I never discovered that until last year where I was volunteering outside and it was freezing cold, and as a result I had a full severe allergic reaction to the cold weather and I wa rushed to the doctor to get treatment. I had cortisicone injection to calm down the inflammation of my body. I was told that it was to be staying in my body for approx. 6 months but did not work at all. From that day, I had to take antihistamine tablets every single day to prevent unexpected hives. That worked well. Howver a few months later, I discovered that I have irregular/heavy periods and I went back to the doc and he said it could be the diet. I was having doubts but I went ahead to change my diet to a better one. My periods have not improved but they lasted much more longer than two weeks. I went to another doc to get another opinion and was told that the cortisicone injection was the cause of my irregular periods and then was prescribed birth control pills for a short period of time. It's working well but it's awful at giving you PMS at wrong timings! But I'm almost done my exams so I can manage the pain for a few more months.

Now I started the CG method in March, after I got my trim. My hair is still wonderful to this day but my mom is highly doubtful of this method. But as some of you told me to just forget it and move on with my own hair. I have baby-fine hair and when I started the method, I discovered the true volume of my hair without frizz. It's thinner than the volume when my hair had a lot of frizz. I am aware that thicker curly hair is an optical illusion which is true because if you look at the strands individually it's actually thinner than we expected - I tried to explain this to my mom but she refuses to listen. Anywyay back to the topic, last night I was taking a shower and I left some conditioner in and then applied styling products and then leave it for air-drying. Keep in mind that I usually don't towel-dry my hair because I'm lazy lol but I sometimes dry with a cotton towel. So most of water stay in my hair so that's why my hair looks so "thin". So when I got ot of the shower last night, my mom was very shocked to see how thin my hair is. I have tried explaining the reasons of hair loss to her - BC pills, stress, diet, iron deficiency, medical problems, hormone imbalance, everything! She still wouldn't listen to me. Now she told me that she wants me to go to another doctor but she said that it's not only about the hair loss. It could be a sign of a medical problem within my body (ie thyroid disorder because of the symptoms I explained to you above). I'm afraid that when we go to the doc's office. she will point out that it's the CG method (i take a shower everyday, I have to use a lot of conditioner for my hair, etc.)and the doc will say something like, "use a shampoo!" This is what I am very afraid of. I don't want to give up this method as it's working well for my hair. But my mom is very skeptical of this method.

What should I do?!

P.S. When I came out of the shower and my mom saw my hair, she said she can see my scalp at the back of my hair. This frightened me a bit first but it could be because my hair is baby-fine.
Originally Posted by curlesque424

What i think is is that you should go to the doctor because maybe it could be something serious and it is just creeping up on you. I would rather you know whats going on with your body and have no hair rather then end up getting really sick and having hair.
Originally Posted by lalaallnatural10
To be honest I will have to agree with you on this.
DEFINITELY go to the doctor to have yourself checked out and tested for all kinds of things.

But the kind of conditioner and shampoo (or lack of shampoo) you are using on your hair has NOTHING to do with hair loss assuming that you are not allergic to the product in some way that is causing the hair loss. Hair loss is something that happens from within. If you are allergic to a product, it could cause an allergic reaction WITHIN your body and cause the hair loss.

The products you are using can clearly affect how thin/thick your hair LOOKS, but that's it.

GO TO THE DOCTOR.
Originally Posted by Who Me?
THIS.

Go to the doctor.
"...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

Yes that's true. I don't have an allergy to a substance except to cold air and water. What I am afraid is that my mom will tell the doctor about the CG-method and the doctor might say, "stop leaving in the conditioner," or something like that.
Originally Posted by curlesque424
Ask the doctor why. Doctors are just people. You have a right to question their judgment.
"I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
Yes that's true. I don't have an allergy to a substance except to cold air and water. What I am afraid is that my mom will tell the doctor about the CG-method and the doctor might say, "stop leaving in the conditioner," or something like that.
Originally Posted by curlesque424
Have you ever been to an allergist and been tested for specific allergies with scratch tests?
"...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

Okay I am ready to go to a doctor. You have changed my mind - I'm going to a doctor to get my allergy checked up and hopefully s/he will diagnoses this, no matter how thin/thick my hair is. Thanks girls!
Yes that's true. I don't have an allergy to a substance except to cold air and water. What I am afraid is that my mom will tell the doctor about the CG-method and the doctor might say, "stop leaving in the conditioner," or something like that.
Originally Posted by curlesque424
Have you ever been to an allergist and been tested for specific allergies with scratch tests?
Originally Posted by Nallia
I did. When I went for an allergy test, he pit an ice pack on my arm - still no reaction. But the next day, I had a pretty bad reaction to the cold air in my house.
Yes that's true. I don't have an allergy to a substance except to cold air and water. What I am afraid is that my mom will tell the doctor about the CG-method and the doctor might say, "stop leaving in the conditioner," or something like that.
Originally Posted by curlesque424
Have you ever been to an allergist and been tested for specific allergies with scratch tests?
Originally Posted by Nallia
Yeah, allergies can change throughout your life, too. I never had any seasonal allergies until I was ~24 and then, bam, I started busting out in hives one day and went to the doctor. The doctor said "you have allergies" and I said "No, I don't" and she responded "Well, you didn't but you do now!".
"I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
Allergies are a funny thing. My husband just had a true allergic reaction to (we think) strawberries. Broke out in hives ALL over his body, itched like a mad man, was miserable. Fortunately, he didn't have any breathing problems.
A Kenalog shot and a medrol dose pack and he's doing better.
One day he wasn't allergic and the next day he was.

I'm skeptical of an allergy to the cold air in your house You would react to cold air anywhere.

Definitely see a doctor. Something is going on in your body-your hair is a result of that. Hair loss is a symptom of many health issues- anemia, hormonal imbalance, autoimmune disease, nutritional deficiency, stress, genetics, the list goes on.

CG, the method, has nothing to do with it. Leaving conditioner in your hair doesn't make it thin or fall out but it does weigh your hair down and make it look thinner. The heavy sections fall together and expose your scalp so it makes it look worse. I deal with this everyday.

Take care
Go to the doctor!


When you say your hair is falling out how bad?

When I first started CG my dad asked me if I was balding too, it really had me scared but as someone above said your hair just clumps together from all the conditioner.


But by all means go to the doctor doesn't hurt to be sure does it?
I've never heard of an allergy to cold air! Interesting!

Anyway - keep on pushing the doctors until they find something. Illness doesn't just 'happen' you know? If needed maybe go to an allergy specialist?

Good Luck!
2c/3a - M/C - ii/iii
Countess DuckyDot , Keeper of the book of Vegetarianism and Arty Pants, Leader of the Curly Ducks in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Away and might not be back. See me at: http://walkintowhispers.blogspot.com/
Yeah, allergies can change throughout your life, too.
Originally Posted by Who Me?
That's how allergies work: no one is born with allergies. Allergies are a type of inappropriate immune-system response. They can develop only upon exposure to the potential allergen, because only then does your immune system have the opportunity to develop an inappropriate response. The allergic reaction will then kick in on your next exposure. And your immune system can get wonky with a potential allergen upon any exposure. The more times you're exposed, the likelier you are to develop an allergy.

It's not unusual to develop allergies later in life. I know people here love their aloe vera, but it's really common for people to develop aloe vera allergies after many exposures.

Last edited by Eilonwy; 05-31-2011 at 06:53 PM.
At the very least, the Dr will be able to put your Moms mind at ease the CG is not hurting you.
I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
Audrey Hepburn

Trending Topics


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com