CurlTalk

CurlTalk (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/)
-   Non-hair discussion (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/non-hair-discussion/)
-   -   Smoothie ideas? (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/non-hair-discussion/132177-smoothie-ideas.html)

NetG 08-27-2011 11:03 PM

Smoothie ideas?
 
I'm on Dr's orders to have two protein shakes a day. I'm not happy about this, but given how much trouble I've had recovering from things lately and how much better things are going right now, I'm willing to try to stick to it.

However, I am BORED of smoothies. The fact the soy protein alone is 109 calories in each drink means I'm eating less food to maintain the calorie range I want, which is making me even more bored.

I've mixed in coffee and chocolate syrup, used frozen strawberries, blueberries and mangoes, fresh bananas, use milk, have strawberry, chocolate and caramel syrup. I may try a peanut butter/banana and chocolate coffee drink. I'm going to buy some greens to mix in to add vitamins (and play with the amount to use so it doesn't taste terrible!)

Anyway, anyone have ideas of what would be reasonably ok for me to use? I don't like anything overly sweet, so when I say I use a syrup it's more like a teaspoon than the probably recommended 3 tablespoons or something.

ETA: I should clarify that I have a texture issue, which is why I'm having it as smoothies and blended drinks. Just stirred in to something is... not drinkable for me. And I found a soy protein powder which I don't even really taste, which is fabulous, at least.

CurlyCanadian 08-28-2011 10:42 AM

I know you said you already tried coffee, but that was the best solution I had :lol:

I make a pot of coffee and pour it into a juice jug with a little powdered coffee creamer. In the morning I mix it in a to-go cup with a scoop of chocolate protein powder and have that instead of a coffee.

I also really like the Breezers (pretty sure that's the name, will double check when I get home!) powder. They have an iced tea and a mango flavour that I mix togeather. Just tastes like juice!

NetG 08-28-2011 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CurlyCanadian (Post 1752951)
I know you said you already tried coffee, but that was the best solution I had :lol:

I make a pot of coffee and pour it into a juice jug with a little powdered coffee creamer. In the morning I mix it in a to-go cup with a scoop of chocolate protein powder and have that instead of a coffee.

I also really like the Breezers (pretty sure that's the name, will double check when I get home!) powder. They have an iced tea and a mango flavour that I mix togeather. Just tastes like juice!

Oh, I really enjoyed the coffee drink. I will probably do that often, but just want to keep mixing things up.

Sent from my "smart"phone. Please excuse typos!

Trixie1979 08-28-2011 05:35 PM

I completely agree with the Iso Whey breezes protein. It is exactly like juice!! :-)

xcptnl 08-28-2011 06:11 PM

I like the frozen acai you can buy (i get it at whole foods). I have added in vanilla yogurt, banana, apple juice blueberries. It is the recipe on the package.


Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk

The New Black 08-28-2011 06:21 PM

Would pina colada be too sweet? Raspberry mojito flavored smoothies? lol...but I've seen NA mojito flavored syrups.

journotraveler 08-28-2011 07:02 PM

Why are you under doctor's orders to drink smoothies?

The syrups seem like an awful lot of sugar to me. I use brown rice protein powder (flavorless, which is good) for protein, coconut h2o or rice milk, throw in a frozen banana, kale or spinach to get some extra veggies in (you can't taste them in the smoothie) and some frozen fruit mix, usually berries, sometimes a pineapple/mango mix. And I'll throw in some flax seed.

I've also seen smoothies adding in peanut or almond butter. I've also seen some recipes for smoothies that use avocados. Haven't tried those yet.

rileyb 08-29-2011 05:56 AM

I like to add some coconut oil to mine along with some flaked coconut. I make one with frozen black cherries and vanilla yogurt (and the above ingredients) or the same but sub in frozen pineapple. Shredded coconut isn't everyone's cup of tea so you could skip that.

xcptnl 08-29-2011 08:21 AM

Also do not rule out carnation instant breakfast as those are pretty high protein. If you blend with ice they taste pretty good.


Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk

NetG 08-29-2011 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by journotraveler (Post 1753226)
Why are you under doctor's orders to drink smoothies?

The syrups seem like an awful lot of sugar to me. I use brown rice protein powder (flavorless, which is good) for protein, coconut h2o or rice milk, throw in a frozen banana, kale or spinach to get some extra veggies in (you can't taste them in the smoothie) and some frozen fruit mix, usually berries, sometimes a pineapple/mango mix. And I'll throw in some flax seed.

I've also seen smoothies adding in peanut or almond butter. I've also seen some recipes for smoothies that use avocados. Haven't tried those yet.

I'm under orders to use protein powder, not have smoothies. Frozen/blended drinks are the only way I can due to my texture issues with it.

As I said above, I use more like 1 tsp of syrup than the huge amounts recommended. I don't like sweet much, so don't use much sugar in my drinks. If using fruit I rarely or barely use syrup because that's way too much sweet for me.

I bought some collard greens because it was the only dark leafy item they had besides spinach, which I eat on its own all the time anyway.

ETA: I'm supposed to take it to help my body heal faster from my back injury.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rileyb (Post 1753436)
I like to add some coconut oil to mine along with some flaked coconut. I make one with frozen black cherries and vanilla yogurt (and the above ingredients) or the same but sub in frozen pineapple. Shredded coconut isn't everyone's cup of tea so you could skip that.

The coconut and black cherries sounds *awesome.* I'll probably just use plain Greek yogurt instead of vanilla, but as I mentioned above w/ my lack of love of too much sweet that'll probably work out better for me.

MizKerri 08-29-2011 08:50 AM

My favorite is a frozen, very ripe banana, 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk, 1-2 tbsp of peanut butter, a heaping tsp of unsweetened cocoa powder, and a 1/2 to 1 tsp of instant espresso powder.

journotraveler 08-29-2011 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NetG (Post 1753496)

I'm under orders to use protein powder, not have smoothies. Frozen/blended drinks are the only way I can due to my texture issues with it.

As I said above, I use more like 1 tsp of syrup than the huge amounts recommended. I don't like sweet much, so don't use much sugar in my drinks. If using fruit I rarely or barely use syrup because that's way too much sweet for me.

I bought some collard greens because it was the only dark leafy item they had besides spinach, which I eat on its own all the time anyway.

ETA: I'm supposed to take it to help my body heal faster from my back injury.

Ah, got it. Feel better!

Collard greens should be fine--any green thrown in there works, I think.

rileyb 08-29-2011 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NetG (Post 1753496)
Quote:

Originally Posted by journotraveler (Post 1753226)
Why are you under doctor's orders to drink smoothies?

The syrups seem like an awful lot of sugar to me. I use brown rice protein powder (flavorless, which is good) for protein, coconut h2o or rice milk, throw in a frozen banana, kale or spinach to get some extra veggies in (you can't taste them in the smoothie) and some frozen fruit mix, usually berries, sometimes a pineapple/mango mix. And I'll throw in some flax seed.

I've also seen smoothies adding in peanut or almond butter. I've also seen some recipes for smoothies that use avocados. Haven't tried those yet.

I'm under orders to use protein powder, not have smoothies. Frozen/blended drinks are the only way I can due to my texture issues with it.

As I said above, I use more like 1 tsp of syrup than the huge amounts recommended. I don't like sweet much, so don't use much sugar in my drinks. If using fruit I rarely or barely use syrup because that's way too much sweet for me.

I bought some collard greens because it was the only dark leafy item they had besides spinach, which I eat on its own all the time anyway.

ETA: I'm supposed to take it to help my body heal faster from my back injury.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rileyb (Post 1753436)
I like to add some coconut oil to mine along with some flaked coconut. I make one with frozen black cherries and vanilla yogurt (and the above ingredients) or the same but sub in frozen pineapple. Shredded coconut isn't everyone's cup of tea so you could skip that.

The coconut and black cherries sounds *awesome.* I'll probably just use plain Greek yogurt instead of vanilla, but as I mentioned above w/ my lack of love of too much sweet that'll probably work out better for me.

Yup, I use greek yogurt sometimes and it comes out realllly good. I also use unsweetened coconut (which is hard to find) because I find the sweetened coconut can be too much. Whole Foods and Target both have frozen black cherries.

curlylaura 08-30-2011 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NetG (Post 1753496)
.

ETA: I'm supposed to take it to help my body heal faster from my back injury.

really? Interesting. I wonder if it could help mine heal any better... worth a shot at any rate.

Nappy_curly_crown 08-30-2011 03:55 PM

Unjury brand makes a whey isolate protein that's Chicken flavored....you mix it with warm water and it tastes just like chicken soup!

Eta: not quite sure why you are using soy protein, but I'm about 8 days post op as well and my doctors said that whey isolate protein is "purer" protein and helps the body heal faster that soy protein. You also get more grams of protein per serving with the whey isolate...25gs vs 13-15g with soy. If you have problems getting the soy down you might wanna consider whey. Costs about the same too.


Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk

solidgold 08-30-2011 06:41 PM

I blend 1 c. coconut milk, 1 scoop protein powder, 1 froz. banana, 2 tbs. peanut butter, 1/4 c. cottage cheese, and 2 tbs. rolled oats. Delicious!

I love avocado smoothies too. They're so rich!

eche428 08-31-2011 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nappy_curly_crown (Post 1754803)
Unjury brand makes a whey isolate protein that's Chicken flavored....you mix it with warm water and it tastes just like chicken soup!

Eta: not quite sure why you are using soy protein, but I'm about 8 days post op as well and my doctors said that whey isolate protein is "purer" protein and helps the body heal faster that soy protein. You also get more grams of protein per serving with the whey isolate...25gs vs 13-15g with soy. If you have problems getting the soy down you might wanna consider whey. Costs about the same too.


Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk

Thank you so much for posting about this, Nappy_curly_crown! I just sent this information and the websites link to my MIL. She is always low on protein and doesn't like anything sweet. She's also super picky so getting her to eat is a real trick. Hopefully she'll be willing to try this.

LAwoman 08-31-2011 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nappy_curly_crown (Post 1754803)
Unjury brand makes a whey isolate protein that's Chicken flavored....you mix it with warm water and it tastes just like chicken soup!

Eta: not quite sure why you are using soy protein, but I'm about 8 days post op as well and my doctors said that whey isolate protein is "purer" protein and helps the body heal faster that soy protein. You also get more grams of protein per serving with the whey isolate...25gs vs 13-15g with soy. If you have problems getting the soy down you might wanna consider whey. Costs about the same too.


Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk

I've also heard that whey is much better than soy.

Jay Robb is the brand I use. It's delicious. Mix the chocolate with almond milk and a frozen banana, and coconut oil and its heavenly.

The vanilla with almond milk and frozen berries is great, too.

Saria 11-30-2011 09:21 AM

This is a gorgeous green smoothie (often green smoothies are sludgy) and the flavor combo (spicy arugula with mango, ginger, and lemon) sounds fantastic:
From the Blender: Lean Green Smoothie | Serious Eats : Recipes

Cranberry:
From the Blender: Mellow Cranberry Smoothie | Serious Eats : Recipes

Pumpkin spice:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...-smoothie.html

LAwoman 11-30-2011 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saria (Post 1824423)
This is a gorgeous green smoothie (often green smoothies are sludgy) and the flavor combo (spicy arugula with mango, ginger, and lemon) sounds fantastic:
From the Blender: Lean Green Smoothie | Serious Eats : Recipes

Cranberry:
From the Blender: Mellow Cranberry Smoothie | Serious Eats : Recipes

Pumpkin spice:
From the Blender: Pumpkin Spice Smoothie | Serious Eats : Recipes

Mmmm I will have to try those. I LOVE green smoothies!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com