CurlTalk

CurlTalk (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/)
-   Non-hair discussion (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/non-hair-discussion/)
-   -   Name change anyone? (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/non-hair-discussion/136322-name-change-anyone.html)

instinctivelyme 11-23-2011 07:14 AM

Name change anyone?
 
I was wondering if anyone disliked their birth names or wish they had something a little less common?
For instance my name is Natasha. Where I'm from that's one of the most common names. In HS there were 5 Tasha's in the band. Lol
Am I the only one out there with a common name?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using CurlTalk App

CurlyCanadian 11-23-2011 07:22 AM

My name is Jennifer and growing up there was always a ton of others. I don't hear it as much now, in fact I can't think of the last time I met one?

For a long time I wanted something different, but now I like it..it suits me! Plus, I have about 30 nicknames, all stemming off my name and it would be weird to lose those :lol:

thelio 11-23-2011 07:27 AM

I love my first name. Thelio. How many thelio's do you know?

i'm thinking of changing my last name. its my mom's dad's name. my grandma gave all her kids her last name except the two oldest. i should be a graham!!!

fyi: i named my sister tasha. after my parents vetoed rocky and bullwinkle:-(

WileE-Dead 11-23-2011 07:32 AM

Thelio, I love your name!
J...One of your nicknames always reminds me of a porn chick :laughing7:

CurlyCanadian 11-23-2011 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WileESteelNervs (Post 1818966)
J...One of your nicknames always reminds me of a porn chick :laughing7:

What really sucks is, I've always wanted to name a daughter Jamison :( :lol:

teejay 11-23-2011 07:34 AM

My first and middle names are very common. A lot of girls in my graduating class had the same middle name. It was very popular during the time we were born. I never really wanted to change them though. I figure my mother chose them for a reason. Now my last name is a different story. I took my husband's last name which is extremely common. My maiden name is less common. If I had to change one of them, it would be my last name.

annabananalise 11-23-2011 07:38 AM

I love my name: Annelise

It's starting to become more common, and I always gnash my teeth whenever I hear someone has it haha.

Oh sheesh, y'all. 'Tis my phone!

CurlyCanadian 11-23-2011 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by annabananalise (Post 1818972)
I love my name: Annelise

It's starting to become more common, and I always gnash my teeth whenever I hear someone has it haha.

That's my middle name! It's my Oma's name and she has always hated it. She wasn't impressed when my Mom used it. I love it though and for awhile in high school considered using it as my first name :)

thelio 11-23-2011 07:44 AM

Thanks wile! To top it off~ it means "a gift from the gods"

My guy cousin's name was jamison, we called him jamie.

I like annelise. it reminds me of an 18th century lady. (and a good way) i would name a daughter that.

i always figured if i ever had two daughters, the frist would be athena and the second would also be an A name. i think annelise fits the bill.:toothy7:

annabananalise 11-23-2011 07:49 AM

For 18th or 19th century type names, I've always loved the name Lorelei. Too bad Gilmore Girls got to it first.

And yeah I rarely hear of any annelise's. Though they did use it in a Barbie movie. Not cool haha

Oh sheesh, y'all. 'Tis my phone!

Nallia 11-23-2011 07:55 AM

When I was young, I went through a period of wanting to change my name because it was thought of as odd. In my whole life, I've only met two other people named Athena. I wouldn't give my name up for anything now. :)

An aside--thelio, all the firstborn girls in my family have "A" names: Alison, Athena, Aurora, Amanda, Alicia, Alessa, Abigail...

Jaynee 11-23-2011 08:11 AM

I love my name and would never change it. Tara, pronounced like Sara, isn't super common and I love that. Now if I could just get people to stop pronouncing it wrong!

thelio 11-23-2011 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nallia (Post 1818993)
When I was young, I went through a period of wanting to change my name because it was thought of as odd. In my whole life, I've only met two other people named Athena. I wouldn't give my name up for anything now. :)

An aside--thelio, all the firstborn girls in my family have "A" names: Alison, Athena, Aurora, Amanda, Alicia, Alessa, Abigail...

Abigail is another "old" name i like.

My cousin's initials are MAB, so all his kids must have those initials. so far their are makayla akira, monet ariel, he once more. i'm going to suggest alessa or abigail. i likey those two. no clue about the m names

favoritecolorblu 11-23-2011 08:20 AM

Rachel...pretty common. And yet people still spell it wrong. They spell it "RachAel". My middle name isn't as common. But my last name...I've never met someone with it that wasn't related to me. It's German but it doesn't really sound like it. I guess it's the American version of the German one. I still get "how do you spell that?" I get mispronuciations too. I used to hate my last name! But it's part of my heritage. Now I love my last name and when I get married I'm hyphenating it.

teejay 11-23-2011 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaynee (Post 1819007)
I love my name and would never change it. Tara, pronounced like Sara, isn't super common and I love that. Now if I could just get people to stop pronouncing it wrong!

Beautiful name. That is my youngest daughter's name. :headbang:

eta: We pronounce it the same way you pronounce it. People do massacre such a simple name.

IAmJordanNicole 11-23-2011 08:29 AM

When I was little I used to cry because I had a "boy name." as I got older I starts to like my name and appreciate that it wasn't such a common name. Now I see soo many little girls named Jordan!

One thing that I've learned is that my name sometimes gives me an advantage in finding jobs. I usually decline to answer gender on applications and when I get a call from a job they say "hi may I speak to Jordan" I say "this is her" and they're like "this is Jordan??" lol. But by then they're already interested in my qualifications, woman or not. Once I had to go away to train for a job. The job put us up in hotels and we had roommates. The day before we had to do a conference call. The HR rep called each of our names and we had to say "here" when they got to me and he heard my voice he said he didn't know I was a woman and had to change the hotel plans for the trip. I lucked out because I ended up with my own room!


Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk

thelio 11-23-2011 08:31 AM

i love "boy" names for girls!

tony, jordan, thelio...

i'm drawing a blank so i cant think of anymore, but you get want i'm saying.

Saria 11-23-2011 08:36 AM

I like my name. It's definitely uncommon. I was the only person with my first name back when FB only had college students. Now there are a few others, but I'm still the only person with my first and last name. I also like my last name because while it's common, it's far, far less than many other Hispanic last names.
Everyone pronounces my first name wrong unless they speak Spanish. It's kind of nice that my last name is so easy to say.
I did get a name change when given the choice. I cut out my middle name, which was three words long and rather cheesy.

favoritecolorblu 11-23-2011 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saria (Post 1819029)
I like my name. It's definitely uncommon. I was the only person with my first name back when FB only had college students. Now there are a few others, but I'm still the only person with my first and last name. I also like my last name because while it's common, it's far, far less than many other Hispanic last names.
Everyone pronounces my first name wrong unless they speak Spanish. It's kind of nice that my last name is so easy to say.
I did get a name change when given the choice. I cut out my middle name, which was three words long and rather cheesy.


I love long names! Is your name pronounced "Sah-rri-ah" or "Sair-ri-a"?

forbee 11-23-2011 08:42 AM

My name is common where it comes from, but not common here in the US. I used to hate the first day of school when teachers would do roll call and butcher my name...


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com