White people and racism... no, it's not what you think

Like Tree205Likes

Yes. I used to get my arse kicked ALOT when I was younger, just for being white in a predominately black neighborhood. Nevermind I was a nice person, and still am, to everyone. All I'd get was "COME HERE WHITEY" followed by a beating.

Yet, this is somehow not as significant. Or not taken seriously. And I'm expected to suck it up and take it.
Originally Posted by evee103
They were racist. They beat you up and bullied you for being in the minority in your area. They mistreated you because of the color of your skin. They were mad at you because you are different from them. Either way they were wrong & it is important & relevant.
Do you trust Black people after experiencing something like that?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using CurlTalk App
About my hair:
weekly shampoo-HE Honey I'm Strong
daily conditioner-HE Honey I'm Strong (use as li)
go to style-Pocahontas braids
Yes. I used to get my arse kicked ALOT when I was younger, just for being white in a predominately black neighborhood. Nevermind I was a nice person, and still am, to everyone. All I'd get was "COME HERE WHITEY" followed by a beating.

Yet, this is somehow not as significant. Or not taken seriously. And I'm expected to suck it up and take it.
Originally Posted by evee103
They were racist. They beat you up and bullied you for being in the minority in your area. They mistreated you because of the color of your skin. They were mad at you because you are different from them. Either way they were wrong & it is important & relevant.
Do you trust Black people after experiencing something like that?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using CurlTalk App
Originally Posted by sienna40

They were not racist. They were prejudice. Two different things.
Umm I was browsing other threads, but ok.

And I thought it was racist since they made it a point to let me know that me and the rest of my "fellow crackers" had no business being in that neighborhood. Even though I lived there.

Last edited by evee103; 11-26-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Yes. I used to get my arse kicked ALOT when I was younger, just for being white in a predominately black neighborhood. Nevermind I was a nice person, and still am, to everyone. All I'd get was "COME HERE WHITEY" followed by a beating.

Yet, this is somehow not as significant. Or not taken seriously. And I'm expected to suck it up and take it.
Originally Posted by evee103
They were racist. They beat you up and bullied you for being in the minority in your area. They mistreated you because of the color of your skin. They were mad at you because you are different from them. Either way they were wrong & it is important & relevant.
Do you trust Black people after experiencing something like that?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using CurlTalk App
Originally Posted by sienna40
Haha I have more black friends than white ones! Not that any of that matters, but even though I was put through all that crap, I never once blamed it on the entire race. I mean, you just can't do that! Everyone is their own individual person, so you can't go blaming an entire race for something only a few people did to you! So yeah I trust them.

Last edited by evee103; 11-26-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Can't what?

Sent from my Milestone using CurlTalk App
Originally Posted by UtterlyLily
If I had to guess : respond to the ignorance that is your post.

Sent from my LG-P999 using CurlTalk App
Amneris and Saria like this.


Blog
What is ignorant about it?

Sent from my Milestone using CurlTalk App
Yes. I used to get my arse kicked ALOT when I was younger, just for being white in a predominately black neighborhood. Nevermind I was a nice person, and still am, to everyone. All I'd get was "COME HERE WHITEY" followed by a beating.

Yet, this is somehow not as significant. Or not taken seriously. And I'm expected to suck it up and take it.
Originally Posted by evee103
They were racist. They beat you up and bullied you for being in the minority in your area. They mistreated you because of the color of your skin. They were mad at you because you are different from them. Either way they were wrong & it is important & relevant.
Do you trust Black people after experiencing something like that?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using CurlTalk App
Originally Posted by sienna40
They were not racist. They were prejudice. Two different things.
Originally Posted by favoritecolorblu
We don't know their motive but what they committed was a hate crime in my eyes which means they are racist & prejudiced and you can be both in this case.

My point is that if one bad experience can change the way one views another race what can centuries of experiences do?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using CurlTalk App
About my hair:
weekly shampoo-HE Honey I'm Strong
daily conditioner-HE Honey I'm Strong (use as li)
go to style-Pocahontas braids
Racist and prejudice are used interchangeable. In a discussion of race relations, I believe our focus is on institutional racism as opposed to individual racist/prejudice incidents.

Sent from my LG-P999 using CurlTalk App
keenylicious likes this.


Blog
What is ignorant about it?

Sent from my Milestone using CurlTalk App
Originally Posted by UtterlyLily
All of it. You know we haven't come as far as you would like to think. How many Black pro athletes do you know of? How many Black athletic pro team owners do you know of? Did you know that the average female headed black household doesn't have more than $5000 saved for a rainy day? These are a few of the obvious disadvantages of entering a marathon as the winner crossed the finish line.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using CurlTalk App
About my hair:
weekly shampoo-HE Honey I'm Strong
daily conditioner-HE Honey I'm Strong (use as li)
go to style-Pocahontas braids
Yes. I used to get my arse kicked ALOT when I was younger, just for being white in a predominately black neighborhood. Nevermind I was a nice person, and still am, to everyone. All I'd get was "COME HERE WHITEY" followed by a beating.

Yet, this is somehow not as significant. Or not taken seriously. And I'm expected to suck it up and take it.
Originally Posted by evee103
They were racist. They beat you up and bullied you for being in the minority in your area. They mistreated you because of the color of your skin. They were mad at you because you are different from them. Either way they were wrong & it is important & relevant.
Do you trust Black people after experiencing something like that?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using CurlTalk App
Originally Posted by sienna40
Haha I have more black friends than white ones! Not that any of that matters, but even though I was put through all that crap, I never once blamed it on the entire race. I mean, you just can't do that! Everyone is their own individual person, so you can't go blaming an entire race for something only a few people did to you! So yeah I trust them.
Originally Posted by evee103
good to know.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using CurlTalk App
About my hair:
weekly shampoo-HE Honey I'm Strong
daily conditioner-HE Honey I'm Strong (use as li)
go to style-Pocahontas braids

They were racist. They beat you up and bullied you for being in the minority in your area. They mistreated you because of the color of your skin. They were mad at you because you are different from them. Either way they were wrong & it is important & relevant.
Do you trust Black people after experiencing something like that?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using CurlTalk App
Originally Posted by sienna40
They were not racist. They were prejudice. Two different things.
Originally Posted by favoritecolorblu
We don't know their motive but what they committed was a hate crime in my eyes which means they are racist & prejudiced and you can be both in this case.

My point is that if one bad experience can change the way one views another race what can centuries of experiences do?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using CurlTalk App
Originally Posted by sienna40

She just said that they beat her up just because she was white. No other reason, because she was white. And the fact that they said "Hey Whitey", gives it away that they were prejudice.

Racism is what happened in the '60s. Where people were denied even the most basic things just because of the color of their skin. Sure everyone could be prejudice, but the minorities could not be. They could not tell whites that they couldn't drink at the same water fountains. But whites sure could tell the minorities that they weren't allowed to. A black person could not, deny a white person anything, while a white person could.

If civil rights weren't established, we'd still be in the 60s and I probably wouldn't be doing anything that I'm doing just because I'm a black woman.
What is ignorant about it?

Sent from my Milestone using CurlTalk App
Originally Posted by UtterlyLily
All of it. You know we haven't come as far as you would like to think. How many Black pro athletes do you know of? How many Black athletic pro team owners do you know of? Did you know that the average female headed black household doesn't have more than $5000 saved for a rainy day? These are a few of the obvious disadvantages of entering a marathon as the winner crossed the finish line.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using CurlTalk App
Originally Posted by sienna40

There are A LOT of Black Pro athletes...NFL anyone? Albert Haynesworth, Michael Vick, DeSean Jackson, etc. My brother's friend's dad is a Black Pro athlete.
I wish I could say these things rather than write them. I kinda go on a rant sometimes and get lost lols. I get what you are saying. I agree that we have not come that far in certain senses. I am just saying it took a long time for blacks to get "freedom", to be able to own a business and have things they wouldn't have been able to have before. And then you have these certain black people who act ridiculous and other races then think of all black people acting like that (prejudice). If these prejudices could be broken blacks would have a lot more advantages! There are many blacks out there that are capable of so many things; prejudice and racism sometimes holds them back.

What is ignorant about it?

Sent from my Milestone using CurlTalk App
Originally Posted by UtterlyLily
All of it. You know we haven't come as far as you would like to think. How many Black pro athletes do you know of? How many Black athletic pro team owners do you know of? Did you know that the average female headed black household doesn't have more than $5000 saved for a rainy day? These are a few of the obvious disadvantages of entering a marathon as the winner crossed the finish line.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using CurlTalk App
Originally Posted by sienna40

Last edited by UtterlyLily; 11-26-2011 at 11:54 PM.
What is ignorant about it?

Sent from my Milestone using CurlTalk App
Originally Posted by UtterlyLily
All of it. You know we haven't come as far as you would like to think. How many Black pro athletes do you know of? How many Black athletic pro team owners do you know of? Did you know that the average female headed black household doesn't have more than $5000 saved for a rainy day? These are a few of the obvious disadvantages of entering a marathon as the winner crossed the finish line.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using CurlTalk App
Originally Posted by sienna40

There are A LOT of Black Pro athletes...NFL anyone? Albert Haynesworth, Michael Vick, DeSean Jackson, etc. My brother's friend's dad is a Black Pro athlete.
Originally Posted by favoritecolorblu
Agreed! There are a lot of black pro athletes! You don't see many black CEO's of fortune 500 companies, though they are coming to be more common. Which i'm all about

They were not racist. They were prejudice. Two different things.
Originally Posted by favoritecolorblu
We don't know their motive but what they committed was a hate crime in my eyes which means they are racist & prejudiced and you can be both in this case.

My point is that if one bad experience can change the way one views another race what can centuries of experiences do?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using CurlTalk App
Originally Posted by sienna40

She just said that they beat her up just because she was white. No other reason, because she was white. And the fact that they said "Hey Whitey", gives it away that they were prejudice.

Racism is what happened in the '60s. Where people were denied even the most basic things just because of the color of their skin. Sure everyone could be prejudice, but the minorities could not be. They could not tell whites that they couldn't drink at the same water fountains. But whites sure could tell the minorities that they weren't allowed to. A black person could not, deny a white person anything, while a white person could.

If civil rights weren't established, we'd still be in the 60s and I probably wouldn't be doing anything that I'm doing just because I'm a black woman.
Originally Posted by favoritecolorblu
That is institutionalized racism. When You make laws or promote behavior that denegrate another race. Jim Crow, slavery in & of itself, etc. civil rights changed that to an extent.

Racism is as simple as "I believe blacks are better than whites period". I don't have to ever act on the belief to be racist. I don't have to even tell anyone I feel this way. I am just a racist and a bigot and even a supremacist who feels my race is good & that the other race is bad.

Prejudice is "I don't hire women because they are too emotional. I talk to women, I have female friends, but women can't do what men can in the workplace." I discriminate against women because of my prejudice. If I said Asian women I would be racist & prejudiced & stupid on top of all that.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using CurlTalk App
About my hair:
weekly shampoo-HE Honey I'm Strong
daily conditioner-HE Honey I'm Strong (use as li)
go to style-Pocahontas braids
What is ignorant about it?

Sent from my Milestone using CurlTalk App
Originally Posted by UtterlyLily
All of it. You know we haven't come as far as you would like to think. How many Black pro athletes do you know of? How many Black athletic pro team owners do you know of? Did you know that the average female headed black household doesn't have more than $5000 saved for a rainy day? These are a few of the obvious disadvantages of entering a marathon as the winner crossed the finish line.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using CurlTalk App
Originally Posted by sienna40

There are A LOT of Black Pro athletes...NFL anyone? Albert Haynesworth, Michael Vick, DeSean Jackson, etc. My brother's friend's dad is a Black Pro athlete.
Originally Posted by favoritecolorblu
My point...Now compare that to black owners? Michael Jordan and bob johnson... Don't worry I'll wait...

Sent from my SGH-T959V using CurlTalk App
About my hair:
weekly shampoo-HE Honey I'm Strong
daily conditioner-HE Honey I'm Strong (use as li)
go to style-Pocahontas braids

All of it. You know we haven't come as far as you would like to think. How many Black pro athletes do you know of? How many Black athletic pro team owners do you know of? Did you know that the average female headed black household doesn't have more than $5000 saved for a rainy day? These are a few of the obvious disadvantages of entering a marathon as the winner crossed the finish line.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using CurlTalk App
Originally Posted by sienna40

There are A LOT of Black Pro athletes...NFL anyone? Albert Haynesworth, Michael Vick, DeSean Jackson, etc. My brother's friend's dad is a Black Pro athlete.
Originally Posted by favoritecolorblu
Agreed! There are a lot of black pro athletes! You don't see many black CEO's of fortune 500 companies, though they are coming to be more common. Which i'm all about
Originally Posted by Tzarine
I feel you but CEOs & owners are not the same thing.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using CurlTalk App
About my hair:
weekly shampoo-HE Honey I'm Strong
daily conditioner-HE Honey I'm Strong (use as li)
go to style-Pocahontas braids

All of it. You know we haven't come as far as you would like to think. How many Black pro athletes do you know of? How many Black athletic pro team owners do you know of? Did you know that the average female headed black household doesn't have more than $5000 saved for a rainy day? These are a few of the obvious disadvantages of entering a marathon as the winner crossed the finish line.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using CurlTalk App
Originally Posted by sienna40

There are A LOT of Black Pro athletes...NFL anyone? Albert Haynesworth, Michael Vick, DeSean Jackson, etc. My brother's friend's dad is a Black Pro athlete.
Originally Posted by favoritecolorblu
My point...Now compare that to black owners? Michael Jordan and bob johnson... Don't worry I'll wait...

Sent from my SGH-T959V using CurlTalk App
Originally Posted by sienna40
I found this. It backs up your point.
Black Owners of Professional Sports Teams

The majority of blacks become limited partners but not owners.
What is ignorant about it?

Sent from my Milestone using CurlTalk App
Originally Posted by UtterlyLily
All of it. You know we haven't come as far as you would like to think. How many Black pro athletes do you know of? How many Black athletic pro team owners do you know of? Did you know that the average female headed black household doesn't have more than $5000 saved for a rainy day? These are a few of the obvious disadvantages of entering a marathon as the winner crossed the finish line.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using CurlTalk App
Originally Posted by sienna40

There are A LOT of Black Pro athletes...NFL anyone? Albert Haynesworth, Michael Vick, DeSean Jackson, etc. My brother's friend's dad is a Black Pro athlete.
Originally Posted by favoritecolorblu
Wow you must watch espn. Lol. Albert...dumped by new england. Vick...dog fighting. & desean jackson...i can smell a mess brewing & him getting cut soon.

Funny selection lol.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using CurlTalk App
About my hair:
weekly shampoo-HE Honey I'm Strong
daily conditioner-HE Honey I'm Strong (use as li)
go to style-Pocahontas braids
PSA TIME: THERE ARE TWO DIFFERENT DEFINITIONS OF "RACISM"

The word "racism" can be used to refer to generally any racial bigotry, or specifically to systemic racial bigotry. The former definition is used in sociology, but it's not the only definition. "Racism" is one of many words that have different meanings in general usage vs. academic usage. (Think of "just a theory" vs "theory of gravity.")

Personally, I don't think that limiting the definition of "racism" to systemic racial bigotry would help in non-academic discussions of racism, because most white Americans think that white people--and not black people--are systemically oppressed.

Also, if you want to encourage people to think of the word "racism" only in terms of the academic definition, I think you need to give more of an explanation than "that's not racism, that's racial prejudice." A statement like that is just going to be really confusing, since most people aren't familiar with the academic definition of the word.
keenylicious likes this.

Last edited by Eilonwy; 11-27-2011 at 02:02 AM.

Trending Topics


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com