Halle Berry Engaged

Like Tree88Likes

I see everybody's various points from all sides.

There was a joke about Britney Spears in the musical Spamalot and they took it out after she had her public meltdown (the headshaving and everything) because they wouldn't make fun of somebody who was mentally ill.

I hope Halle has gotten help...I didn't know about the suicide attempt, but I know several people who have had close family/friends comment suicide and I think she must have been in a very dark and scared place to attempt it.

(I do think it's completely wrong if she tried to hurt her ex-boyfriend's character and relationship with their daughter.)
Turtles:

Guest Post from RMJ: Ableist Word Profile: Crazy

The reason I even know about this is through being a part of Mark Watches/Mark Reads. He's very strict in that he doesn't allow any oppressive language on his site, whether it's sexist, racist, cis-sexist, homophobic, or ableist.
On his site I abide by those rules because it's just not that big a deal to stop using a word that a community prefers not be used, and it's a wonderful site, but I still can't quite the use of word "crazy" as on par and harmful across the board as other slurs. So, with time I might strip it from my vocabulary as I've made a conscious effort to not use words like "slut" and "whore", but right now, I stick to trying to not refer to people with mental illnesses as "crazy".
Layali likes this.
As a society we should all adopt Orwell's Newspeak from 1984. That way we don't have to worry about words offending other people. For instance, instead of saying something is "gay" or "lame" when we mean "really bad", we can just say doubleplus-ungood. See? Double and plus are just enhancers so they shouldn't offend anyone (wait, just thought of overweight people LOL), un is just a prefix and good is fine by everyone's standards.

JKJKJK

I actually totally get where you're coming from Layali. Even if I don't necessarily agree with the policing of words...even to protect people's feelings. But for you to be the one accused of over sensitivity...there are a couple folks in this thread who seem hella annoyed with you for expressing an opinion.
they also make fun of fat people. It's just one of those things.


ummmm so, are you saying that if we didn't know she had these mental illnesses it would be okay to say she's "crazy", and since she does have mental illnesses we can't say she's "crazy"?

No, not at all. I do think it's 100x worse because she actually DOES HAVE a mental illness and was actually suicidal. That's just insensitive and dismissive to me.


Well, I know I don't like to be called crazy, but then in the back of my head, I remember this saying about how crazy people don't know they're crazy so they don't like to be called crazy, and then I'm like...omg I must be crazy because I don't actually think I'm crazy but I am crazy.

And no, I'm not making light of it, because I have aunts who do have mental illnesses, and I suffer from depression and anxiety, and I know that it sucks.

But then you have where people are like, yo so and so broke into bonquiqui's house and then someone will say "oh man, that's crazy" Then what? Do you say, no it's not, you can't call it crazy.

I just don't like to the use the word to describe PEOPLE (especially people who are mentally ill). I use the word to describe bizarre situations all the time, because the power behind the word is different.

This is just a hard word, But I kinda understand where you're coming from because I hate when people call things gay, and I always have to say "gay is A okay" and now it's a habit, I'm not gay personally but I don't like to hear that word used for something that is "stupid" or "lame" but can I say lame now? because what about people who have like a lame leg? isn't that insulting.....................I think I just farted my brain.
Originally Posted by foreverturtles
I think my brain just farted too, LOL.

Again, I'm not saying that people shouldn't use the word, but just have a little common sense and sensitivity when using. Mental illness can be debilitating and life-threatening. No one should make light of it.
naturally 3b/3c

Explanation by the tongue makes most things clear, but love unexplained is clearer. ~ Rumi
they also make fun of fat people. It's just one of those things.


ummmm so, are you saying that if we didn't know she had these mental illnesses it would be okay to say she's "crazy", and since she does have mental illnesses we can't say she's "crazy"?

No, not at all. I do think it's 100x worse because she actually DOES HAVE a mental illness and was actually suicidal. That's just insensitive and dismissive to me.


Well, I know I don't like to be called crazy, but then in the back of my head, I remember this saying about how crazy people don't know they're crazy so they don't like to be called crazy, and then I'm like...omg I must be crazy because I don't actually think I'm crazy but I am crazy.

And no, I'm not making light of it, because I have aunts who do have mental illnesses, and I suffer from depression and anxiety, and I know that it sucks.

But then you have where people are like, yo so and so broke into bonquiqui's house and then someone will say "oh man, that's crazy" Then what? Do you say, no it's not, you can't call it crazy.

I just don't like to the use the word to describe PEOPLE (especially people who are mentally ill). I use the word to describe bizarre situations all the time, because the power behind the word is different.

This is just a hard word, But I kinda understand where you're coming from because I hate when people call things gay, and I always have to say "gay is A okay" and now it's a habit, I'm not gay personally but I don't like to hear that word used for something that is "stupid" or "lame" but can I say lame now? because what about people who have like a lame leg? isn't that insulting.....................I think I just farted my brain.
Originally Posted by foreverturtles
I think my brain just farted too, LOL.

Again, I'm not saying that people shouldn't use the word, but just have a little common sense and sensitivity when using. Mental illness can be debilitating and life-threatening. No one should make light of it.
Originally Posted by Layali
I have common sense, and I wasn't "making light" of Halle's mental illness. I respect your opinion.
Platinum Product Junkies
The Facebook
| The Twitter

The Product Lines:
Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
Omg double plus ungood is hilarious I'm going to use it forever!!!


Okay off to read the link saris put...
As a society we should all adopt Orwell's Newspeak from 1984. That way we don't have to worry about words offending other people. For instance, instead of saying something is "gay" or "lame" when we mean "really bad", we can just say doubleplus-ungood. See? Double and plus are just enhancers so they shouldn't offend anyone (wait, just thought of overweight people LOL), un is just a prefix and good is fine by everyone's standards.

JKJKJK

I actually totally get where you're coming from Layali. Even if I don't necessarily agree with the policing of words...even to protect people's feelings. But for you to be the one accused of over sensitivity...there are a couple folks in this thread who seem hella annoyed with you for expressing an opinion.
Originally Posted by AmberBrown
LOL.

I'm actually not policing anyone nor did I even suggest people cut the word out of their lexicon. I don't know why people jumped to that conclusion. I simply wish people would have a little more common sense and sensitivity when using the word. I felt it was used inappropriately here and that's where I jumped in.
naturally 3b/3c

Explanation by the tongue makes most things clear, but love unexplained is clearer. ~ Rumi
You should read 1984 too if you haven't! It's been one of my fave books for about 10 years. And there's a whole appendix on newspeak (which basically has the same effect as extreme political correctness imo) and it's great lol
As a society we should all adopt Orwell's Newspeak from 1984. That way we don't have to worry about words offending other people. For instance, instead of saying something is "gay" or "lame" when we mean "really bad", we can just say doubleplus-ungood. See? Double and plus are just enhancers so they shouldn't offend anyone (wait, just thought of overweight people LOL), un is just a prefix and good is fine by everyone's standards.

JKJKJK

I actually totally get where you're coming from Layali. Even if I don't necessarily agree with the policing of words...even to protect people's feelings. But for you to be the one accused of over sensitivity...there are a couple folks in this thread who seem hella annoyed with you for expressing an opinion.
Originally Posted by AmberBrown
LOL.

I'm actually not policing anyone nor did I even suggest people cut the word out of their lexicon. I don't know why people jumped to that conclusion. I simply wish people would have a little more common sense and sensitivity when using the word. I felt it was used inappropriately here and that's where I jumped in.
Originally Posted by Layali
Oh, I know you weren't. I mentioned it because I know people that do feel it should be removed and just wanted to explain that it's a big deal for a lot of people.
As a society we should all adopt Orwell's Newspeak from 1984. That way we don't have to worry about words offending other people. For instance, instead of saying something is "gay" or "lame" when we mean "really bad", we can just say doubleplus-ungood. See? Double and plus are just enhancers so they shouldn't offend anyone (wait, just thought of overweight people LOL), un is just a prefix and good is fine by everyone's standards.

JKJKJK

I actually totally get where you're coming from Layali. Even if I don't necessarily agree with the policing of words...even to protect people's feelings. But for you to be the one accused of over sensitivity...there are a couple folks in this thread who seem hella annoyed with you for expressing an opinion.
Originally Posted by AmberBrown
LOL.

I'm actually not policing anyone nor did I even suggest people cut the word out of their lexicon. I don't know why people jumped to that conclusion. I simply wish people would have a little more common sense and sensitivity when using the word. I felt it was used inappropriately here and that's where I jumped in.
Originally Posted by Layali
Oh, I know you weren't. I mentioned it because I know people that do feel it should be removed and just wanted to explain that it's a big deal for a lot of people.
Originally Posted by Saria

That was very informative. Thank you for sharing that.
As a society we should all adopt Orwell's Newspeak from 1984. That way we don't have to worry about words offending other people. For instance, instead of saying something is "gay" or "lame" when we mean "really bad", we can just say doubleplus-ungood. See? Double and plus are just enhancers so they shouldn't offend anyone (wait, just thought of overweight people LOL), un is just a prefix and good is fine by everyone's standards.

JKJKJK

I actually totally get where you're coming from Layali. Even if I don't necessarily agree with the policing of words...even to protect people's feelings. But for you to be the one accused of over sensitivity...there are a couple folks in this thread who seem hella annoyed with you for expressing an opinion.
Originally Posted by AmberBrown
Not sure who you're talking about...but just in case you're referring to me as one of the couple, let me end with this.

Regardless of how anybody feels about the word "crazy" those feelings belong to them. An assumption was made that because Halle was called "crazy", people were "making light" of her condition. That wasn't the case for me. I don't think anybody attacked Layali.

FInally, I think it got way too deep..that's' my opinion. While I respect Layali's opinion, I don't agree with all of it. I get it. I got it the first time. But I'm not going to post a mile-long explanation of why I disagree, because this a message board, and I've dealt with plenty of offensive comments. I don't expect people to censor themselves...JUST to prevent from possibly offending me.
Platinum Product Junkies
The Facebook
| The Twitter

The Product Lines:
Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
As a society we should all adopt Orwell's Newspeak from 1984. That way we don't have to worry about words offending other people. For instance, instead of saying something is "gay" or "lame" when we mean "really bad", we can just say doubleplus-ungood. See? Double and plus are just enhancers so they shouldn't offend anyone (wait, just thought of overweight people LOL), un is just a prefix and good is fine by everyone's standards.

JKJKJK

I actually totally get where you're coming from Layali. Even if I don't necessarily agree with the policing of words...even to protect people's feelings. But for you to be the one accused of over sensitivity...there are a couple folks in this thread who seem hella annoyed with you for expressing an opinion.
Originally Posted by AmberBrown
LOL.

I'm actually not policing anyone nor did I even suggest people cut the word out of their lexicon. I don't know why people jumped to that conclusion. I simply wish people would have a little more common sense and sensitivity when using the word. I felt it was used inappropriately here and that's where I jumped in.
Originally Posted by Layali
Oh, I know you weren't. I mentioned it because I know people that do feel it should be removed and just wanted to explain that it's a big deal for a lot of people.
Originally Posted by Saria
I know! I was referring to other folks in the discussion.

Great article, btw. I'm forwarding to other folks. Thanks for sharing!
Saria likes this.
naturally 3b/3c

Explanation by the tongue makes most things clear, but love unexplained is clearer. ~ Rumi
I mean that was very bellyfeel
AmberBrown likes this.
You should read 1984 too if you haven't! It's been one of my fave books for about 10 years. And there's a whole appendix on newspeak (which basically has the same effect as extreme political correctness imo) and it's great lol
Originally Posted by AmberBrown
I have read the book! It brings up lots of great questions.

"It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words." Sometimes I believe this is very true. I definitely believe there is great power in words. If you look back over history there is a correlation between a group's increase in rights and decrease in social acceptance of destructive words attributed to them.

It's very hard to advocate for mental healthcare on a local and national level because of the stigma around it. I think language and words have a lot to do with this.
AmberBrown likes this.
naturally 3b/3c

Explanation by the tongue makes most things clear, but love unexplained is clearer. ~ Rumi
Speaking of crazy..love this song by Shakira--I'm crazy but you like it!!

Shakira - Loca ft. Dizzee Rascal - YouTube

I understand the offensiveness to the word crazy. I think I might be a little crazy and mental illness does run in my family apparently. Just found out recently my mom and aunts have taken some medication as they've gotten older. I can imagine the feeling of not having control, I've had a little taste of it. That being said, calling a celebrity crazy..ehh...everyone picks on celebrities.
Speaking of crazy..love this song by Shakira--I'm crazy but you like it!!

Shakira - Loca ft. Dizzee Rascal - YouTube

I understand the offensiveness to the word crazy. I think I might be a little crazy and mental illness does run in my family apparently. Just found out recently my mom and aunts have taken some medication as they've gotten older. I can imagine the feeling of not having control, I've had a little taste of it. That being said, calling a celebrity crazy..ehh...everyone picks on celebrities.
Originally Posted by Josephine
Right, but the whole point is that people with mental illness don't like seeing the word used to insult someone. It's not about the celeb, it's about applying that word as an insult and how that reflects on those who suffer from mental illness.
Again, it's not something I feel strongly about, just trying to explain why people do.
Or you know, just click the link I posted if you want.
Amneris likes this.
Right, but the whole point is that people with mental illness don't like seeing the word used to insult someone. It's not about the celeb, it's about applying that word as an insult and how that reflects on those who suffer from mental illness.
Again, it's not something I feel strongly about, just trying to explain why people do.
Or you know, just click the link I posted if you want.
Originally Posted by Saria
Yes, I know why people get offended by it.
Ninjarette likes this.
Regardless of how anybody feels about the word "crazy" those feelings belong to them. An assumption was made that because Halle was called "crazy", people were "making light" of her condition. That wasn't the case for me. I don't think anybody attacked Layali.
Originally Posted by Ninjarette
I agree with Ninjarette's posts in this thread, especially this.

I said I thought she had a rep for being slightly kway-zee. In no way was I "making light of her condition" as I am unaware that she may truly have mental health issues. Unlike some people, I don't keep up with all the details and gossip of celebrities. I had no idea she once tried to commit suicide. All I know is what I stated. I get what Layali is saying but I don't happen to agree with her opinion.

I have a loved one who is suffering from anxiety and depression issues and is on medication so I am sensitive to this issue. I have common sense as well but I don't feel the "crazy" label was used inappropriately here.
Josephine likes this.
Wow. Last time I checked I had freedom of speech. Any slur anyone wants to use is fair game. Consequences exist. But I am a firm believer in free speech. Say whats on your mind. Being PC is like being fake to me. If you want to think i'm insensitive to ppl with mental illnesses then you go right on ahead, you don't know me. Maybe I'm mentally ill & it takes one to know one, you never know. I don't know Halle but I have heard enough over the years to say I think she is crazy. I don't think halle berry is depressed. She would be if she had to live some of our lives and not hers.

Its just gossip. But I am glad I learned about ableists today. Thanks for sharing that.
About my hair:
weekly shampoo-HE Honey I'm Strong
daily conditioner-HE Honey I'm Strong (use as li)
go to style-Pocahontas braids
I am sending my kid to school with a peanut butter sandwich tomorrow to piss of peanut allergy parents
I know you're kidding, but that kind of attitude killed a little girl about two weeks ago. I am super super annoyed by people who "make up" allergies to be special or controlling but I've been in the classroom when a kid was exposed to contraband peanut products and had to use an epi pen. It's scary.

And back to Halle...there is "crazy" as in mentally ill, and I do think this is something we shouldn't make fun of and then there is "crazy" as in spoiled, entitled, dramatic and insulated by celebrity/beauty from the real world. I think Halle is more that kind of crazy. Like Angelina Jolie and the above-mentioned Britney Spears. Breaking down and throwing a big fit because you don't get your way isn't the same has having an actual illness you can't control. Spoiled isn't a disability.

And those are my unpopular opinions for the day! Enjoy!
scrills likes this.

Trending Topics


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com