Halle Berry Engaged

Like Tree88Likes

I am sending my kid to school with a peanut butter sandwich tomorrow to piss of peanut allergy parents
I know you're kidding, but that kind of attitude killed a little girl about two weeks ago. I am super super annoyed by people who "make up" allergies to be special or controlling but I've been in the classroom when a kid was exposed to contraband peanut products and had to use an epi pen. It's scary.

And back to Halle...there is "crazy" as in mentally ill, and I do think this is something we shouldn't make fun of and then there is "crazy" as in spoiled, entitled, dramatic and insulated by celebrity/beauty from the real world. I think Halle is more that kind of crazy. Like Angelina Jolie and the above-mentioned Britney Spears. Breaking down and throwing a big fit because you don't get your way isn't the same has having an actual illness you can't control. Spoiled isn't a disability.

And those are my unpopular opinions for the day! Enjoy!
Originally Posted by CGNYC
+1, I didn't respond bc I knew she was kidding but my child is one of these kids. He has severe allergies to peanuts, soy, dairy, beef, tree nuts, eggs and poppy seeds. He once had milk touch his skin and went into immediate distress. He's hospitalized at least once a year because of his ailments. So for the author of the post about peanut butter please be aware that these allergies can really hurt or kill a child. It is beyond scary to deal with....


On my EVO
scrills likes this.
I am sending my kid to school with a peanut butter sandwich tomorrow to piss of peanut allergy parents
I know you're kidding, but that kind of attitude killed a little girl about two weeks ago. I am super super annoyed by people who "make up" allergies to be special or controlling but I've been in the classroom when a kid was exposed to contraband peanut products and had to use an epi pen. It's scary.

And back to Halle...there is "crazy" as in mentally ill, and I do think this is something we shouldn't make fun of and then there is "crazy" as in spoiled, entitled, dramatic and insulated by celebrity/beauty from the real world. I think Halle is more that kind of crazy. Like Angelina Jolie and the above-mentioned Britney Spears. Breaking down and throwing a big fit because you don't get your way isn't the same has having an actual illness you can't control. Spoiled isn't a disability.

And those are my unpopular opinions for the day! Enjoy!
Originally Posted by CGNYC
+1, I didn't respond bc I knew she was kidding but my child is one of these kids. He has severe allergies to peanuts, soy, dairy, beef, tree nuts, eggs and poppy seeds. He once had milk touch his skin and went into immediate distress. He's hospitalized at least once a year because of his ailments. So for the author of the post about peanut butter please be aware that these allergies can really hurt or kill a child. It is beyond scary to deal with....


On my EVO
Originally Posted by Kilajo
I was just joking. But I can't stand the peanut allergy parents that go overboard.

People who are allergic to bees like my children don't have that luxury.

I also only see this behavior with peanuts. I know they are in almost everything but the kids who were allergic to chocolate don't push for chocolate free schools. Its strange to me that we pick and choose what to be ultra sensitive about.
About my hair:
weekly shampoo-HE Honey I'm Strong
daily conditioner-HE Honey I'm Strong (use as li)
go to style-Pocahontas braids

Last edited by sienna40; 01-12-2012 at 12:25 PM.
I am sending my kid to school with a peanut butter sandwich tomorrow to piss of peanut allergy parents
I know you're kidding, but that kind of attitude killed a little girl about two weeks ago. I am super super annoyed by people who "make up" allergies to be special or controlling but I've been in the classroom when a kid was exposed to contraband peanut products and had to use an epi pen. It's scary.

And back to Halle...there is "crazy" as in mentally ill, and I do think this is something we shouldn't make fun of and then there is "crazy" as in spoiled, entitled, dramatic and insulated by celebrity/beauty from the real world. I think Halle is more that kind of crazy. Like Angelina Jolie and the above-mentioned Britney Spears. Breaking down and throwing a big fit because you don't get your way isn't the same has having an actual illness you can't control. Spoiled isn't a disability.



And those are my unpopular opinions for the day! Enjoy!
Originally Posted by CGNYC

Very, very good point, with a strong dose of common sense, btw.
Platinum Product Junkies
The Facebook
| The Twitter

The Product Lines:
Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture

I know you're kidding, but that kind of attitude killed a little girl about two weeks ago. I am super super annoyed by people who "make up" allergies to be special or controlling but I've been in the classroom when a kid was exposed to contraband peanut products and had to use an epi pen. It's scary.

And back to Halle...there is "crazy" as in mentally ill, and I do think this is something we shouldn't make fun of and then there is "crazy" as in spoiled, entitled, dramatic and insulated by celebrity/beauty from the real world. I think Halle is more that kind of crazy. Like Angelina Jolie and the above-mentioned Britney Spears. Breaking down and throwing a big fit because you don't get your way isn't the same has having an actual illness you can't control. Spoiled isn't a disability.

And those are my unpopular opinions for the day! Enjoy!
Originally Posted by CGNYC
+1, I didn't respond bc I knew she was kidding but my child is one of these kids. He has severe allergies to peanuts, soy, dairy, beef, tree nuts, eggs and poppy seeds. He once had milk touch his skin and went into immediate distress. He's hospitalized at least once a year because of his ailments. So for the author of the post about peanut butter please be aware that these allergies can really hurt or kill a child. It is beyond scary to deal with....


On my EVO
Originally Posted by Kilajo
I was just joking. But I can't stand the peanut allergy parents that go overboard.

People who are allergic to bees like my children don't have that luxury.

I also only see this behavior with peanuts. I know they are in almost everything but the kids who were allergic to chocolate don't push for chocolate free schools. Its strange to me that we pick and choose what to be ultra sensitive about.
Originally Posted by sienna40
I agree. And I knew you were joking. Some parents go overboard trying to regulate everyone else. I understand why they do (these allergens can kill their child) and I also understand the backlash. Many children specifically with peanut allergies can't be in the same room as a child who has eaten peanut butter. For my child peanuts, dairy and soy cause life threatening reactions. His body shuts down, but he has to come into physical contact with them. Other kids though go into full anaphylactic shock from the fumes of peanut butter. That's how severely that allergen can affect these kids. But, if I, at anytime feel that my child will not be protected at school when he's school-age, then I'll home school him. I refuse to put him in danger. And I'm not the type to try to limit others. You just have to do what's in your child's best interest.

Sorry to get OT!

On my EVO
scrills likes this.
well I don't want to go back to mental illnesses but I thought b. spears, was actually diagnosed with BPD


unless dr. drew said that, and you know he ain't real
If your child is so allergic to something that other kids can't bring what they want for lunch...your child should probably be at a special school or homeschooled. I'm always hearing the most LUDICROUS news stories about a child who can't even handle a whiff of peanut butter and whose parents insist on sending them to school with non-allergic kids.

First, it's not fair that everyone else's diet is restricted because one child has an allergy. What if little Billy only wants to eat peanut butter for lunch?

Second, what if some kid gets peanut butter from somewhere (w/o a parent's knowledge) and the allergic kid looks at it wrong and, god forbid, has a bad reaction? So the kid who brought in PB is supposed to live the rest of his life knowing he played a role in his classmates illness (or death in a worst case scenario)? Kids shouldn't have to worry about that. Put your severely allergic kid in a protective bubble somewhere.

I saw this story on abc about a mom losing her dang mind because Cheerios had the nerve to make PB cereal. Seriously she was tripping. Said something like, "Why would Cheerios want to make a cereal that's so dangerous?!". Stupid! Because some people like peanut butter! We're not going to obliterate it from the face of the earth because of two of your kids have allergies! Some people feel so entitled...

I've gone far off the Halle Berry path with this post LOL
Ninjarette likes this.

I know you're kidding, but that kind of attitude killed a little girl about two weeks ago. I am super super annoyed by people who "make up" allergies to be special or controlling but I've been in the classroom when a kid was exposed to contraband peanut products and had to use an epi pen. It's scary.

And back to Halle...there is "crazy" as in mentally ill, and I do think this is something we shouldn't make fun of and then there is "crazy" as in spoiled, entitled, dramatic and insulated by celebrity/beauty from the real world. I think Halle is more that kind of crazy. Like Angelina Jolie and the above-mentioned Britney Spears. Breaking down and throwing a big fit because you don't get your way isn't the same has having an actual illness you can't control. Spoiled isn't a disability.



And those are my unpopular opinions for the day! Enjoy!
Originally Posted by CGNYC

Very, very good point, with a strong dose of common sense, btw.
Originally Posted by Ninjarette
The point I’ve been trying to make repeatedly throughout this discussion is Halle Berry actually does have mental illness—as in a diagnosis of MDD. Mental illness is caused by chemical imbalance and psychosocial factors. Even if you think someone leads a charmed life, it doesn’t mean they are immune to this. Mental illness affects people of all walks of life.

You may think her diagnosis is fake or that she is bs’ing or trying to get attention, but regular people with mental illness are accused of this all the time (One of the major reasons why mental illness is not taken seriously).

She may very well have a spoiled rotten, rancid personality wholly unconnected to her depression. That’s a separate issue. Doesn’t mean she doesn’t have a legit mental illness.
Amneris likes this.
naturally 3b/3c

Explanation by the tongue makes most things clear, but love unexplained is clearer. ~ Rumi
If your child is so allergic to something that other kids can't bring what they want for lunch...your child should probably be at a special school or homeschooled. I'm always hearing the most LUDICROUS news stories about a child who can't even handle a whiff of peanut butter and whose parents insist on sending them to school with non-allergic kids.

First, it's not fair that everyone else's diet is restricted because one child has an allergy. What if little Billy only wants to eat peanut butter for lunch?

Second, what if some kid gets peanut butter from somewhere (w/o a parent's knowledge) and the allergic kid looks at it wrong and, god forbid, has a bad reaction? So the kid who brought in PB is supposed to live the rest of his life knowing he played a role in his classmates illness (or death in a worst case scenario)? Kids shouldn't have to worry about that. Put your severely allergic kid in a protective bubble somewhere.

I saw this story on abc about a mom losing her dang mind because Cheerios had the nerve to make PB cereal. Seriously she was tripping. Said something like, "Why would Cheerios want to make a cereal that's so dangerous?!". Stupid! Because some people like peanut butter! We're not going to obliterate it from the face of the earth because of two of your kids have allergies! Some people feel so entitled...

I've gone far off the Halle Berry path with this post LOL
Originally Posted by AmberBrown
Special needs kids/ kids with disabilities should not be limited to a protective bubble. If we follow that vein then we go back 50 years when some people kept their disabled kids in sanitoriums or attics somewhere. They were separated from able-bodied people. People with disabilities including mental disabilities are still seen as less than by a lot of people. I am disheartened that people think the way your post suggests you think. I also pray you are never blessed with a special needs child, and yes I said blessed. Special needs children are usually the most loving, caring, unassuming children in the world. My son has never asked why him when he takes his ulcerative colitis, allergy, EGID, or asthma meds. He sees himself as no different than anyone else. No better, no worse. And by the way, at 3 he knows when he needs his inhaler and his allergy meds. By 5 I'm sure he'll know when he needs his epi pen and will be able to administer it to himself. But with all that said I do believe I said I would homeschool my child if I need to and would never suggest limiting any other kids.

On my EVO
scrills likes this.
If your child is so allergic to something that other kids can't bring what they want for lunch...your child should probably be at a special school or homeschooled. I'm always hearing the most LUDICROUS news stories about a child who can't even handle a whiff of peanut butter and whose parents insist on sending them to school with non-allergic kids.

First, it's not fair that everyone else's diet is restricted because one child has an allergy. What if little Billy only wants to eat peanut butter for lunch?

Second, what if some kid gets peanut butter from somewhere (w/o a parent's knowledge) and the allergic kid looks at it wrong and, god forbid, has a bad reaction? So the kid who brought in PB is supposed to live the rest of his life knowing he played a role in his classmates illness (or death in a worst case scenario)? Kids shouldn't have to worry about that. Put your severely allergic kid in a protective bubble somewhere.

I saw this story on abc about a mom losing her dang mind because Cheerios had the nerve to make PB cereal. Seriously she was tripping. Said something like, "Why would Cheerios want to make a cereal that's so dangerous?!". Stupid! Because some people like peanut butter! We're not going to obliterate it from the face of the earth because of two of your kids have allergies! Some people feel so entitled...

I've gone far off the Halle Berry path with this post LOL
Originally Posted by AmberBrown
Special needs kids/ kids with disabilities should not be limited to a protective bubble. If we follow that vein then we go back 50 years when some people kept their disabled kids in sanitoriums or attics somewhere. They were separated from able-bodied people. People with disabilities including mental disabilities are still seen as less than by a lot of people. I am disheartened that people think the way your post suggests you think. I also pray you are never blessed with a special needs child, and yes I said blessed. Special needs children are usually the most loving, caring, unassuming children in the world. My son has never asked why him when he takes his ulcerative colitis, allergy, EGID, or asthma meds. He sees himself as no different than anyone else. No better, no worse. And by the way, at 3 he knows when he needs his inhaler and his allergy meds. By 5 I'm sure he'll know when he needs his epi pen and will be able to administer it to himself. But with all that said I do believe I said I would homeschool my child if I need to and would never suggest limiting any other kids.

On my EVO
Originally Posted by Kilajo
I agree, but the problem with peanut butter is that there is a small percentage of kids who are badly enough allergic that a whiff can kill them... and then a bunch of others who might get a rash or something that is possibly from peanuts, possibly from something else, but not die, but their parents/doctors, on the off chance that they develop into the ones who can die, treat them all the same so that it seems like there is this huge amount of peanut-sensitive kids. (I do have a pretty severe peanut allergy, but not so severe that I can't be around anything that has touched peanuts - I just can't consume them.)

So IF a kid TRULY is the can't-get-a-whiff type, if they are around your kid, it does put you in an awkward position b/c even if your kid doesn't bring PB to school, what if they had it at home and didn't wash their hands, or have a toy that touched it and share the toy, or you used a knife on PB, didn't wash it and cut something else in your kids' lunch and they share food, etc. etc. etc. and something bad happens to that kid? Are you responsible? And if not legally, what about the emotional fall-out? You can't completely remove traces of peanuts from every environment, and I think it is unreasonable to expect that.

eta: I think everyone else gets regulated for legal reasons. I don't think it is necessary the fault of the parents with allergic children. Rather than get sued for not policing kids and stopping them from swapping sandwiches, schools minimize the risk by saying "NO PB, period."
Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali












Last edited by Amneris; 01-12-2012 at 05:08 PM.
If your child is so allergic to something that other kids can't bring what they want for lunch...your child should probably be at a special school or homeschooled. I'm always hearing the most LUDICROUS news stories about a child who can't even handle a whiff of peanut butter and whose parents insist on sending them to school with non-allergic kids.

First, it's not fair that everyone else's diet is restricted because one child has an allergy. What if little Billy only wants to eat peanut butter for lunch?

Second, what if some kid gets peanut butter from somewhere (w/o a parent's knowledge) and the allergic kid looks at it wrong and, god forbid, has a bad reaction? So the kid who brought in PB is supposed to live the rest of his life knowing he played a role in his classmates illness (or death in a worst case scenario)? Kids shouldn't have to worry about that. Put your severely allergic kid in a protective bubble somewhere.

I saw this story on abc about a mom losing her dang mind because Cheerios had the nerve to make PB cereal. Seriously she was tripping. Said something like, "Why would Cheerios want to make a cereal that's so dangerous?!". Stupid! Because some people like peanut butter! We're not going to obliterate it from the face of the earth because of two of your kids have allergies! Some people feel so entitled...

I've gone far off the Halle Berry path with this post LOL
Originally Posted by AmberBrown
Special needs kids/ kids with disabilities should not be limited to a protective bubble. If we follow that vein then we go back 50 years when some people kept their disabled kids in sanitoriums or attics somewhere. They were separated from able-bodied people. People with disabilities including mental disabilities are still seen as less than by a lot of people. I am disheartened that people think the way your post suggests you think. I also pray you are never blessed with a special needs child, and yes I said blessed. Special needs children are usually the most loving, caring, unassuming children in the world. My son has never asked why him when he takes his ulcerative colitis, allergy, EGID, or asthma meds. He sees himself as no different than anyone else. No better, no worse. And by the way, at 3 he knows when he needs his inhaler and his allergy meds. By 5 I'm sure he'll know when he needs his epi pen and will be able to administer it to himself. But with all that said I do believe I said I would homeschool my child if I need to and would never suggest limiting any other kids.

On my EVO
Originally Posted by Kilajo
I agree, but the problem with peanut butter is that there is a small percentage of kids who are badly enough allergic that a whiff can kill them... and then a bunch of others who might get a rash or something that is possibly from peanuts, possibly from something else, but not die, but their parents/doctors, on the off chance that they develop into the ones who can die, treat them all the same so that it seems like there is this huge amount of peanut-sensitive kids. (I do have a pretty severe peanut allergy, but not so severe that I can't be around anything that has touched peanuts - I just can't consume them.)

So IF a kid TRULY is the can't-get-a-whiff type, if they are around your kid, it does put you in an awkward position b/c even if your kid doesn't bring PB to school, what if they had it at home and didn't wash their hands, or have a toy that touched it and share the toy, or you used a knife on PB, didn't wash it and cut something else in your kids' lunch and they share food, etc. etc. etc. and something bad happens to that kid? Are you responsible? And if not legally, what about the emotional fall-out? You can't completely remove traces of peanuts from every environment, and I think it is unreasonable to expect that.
Originally Posted by Amneris
And the bolded was my main point. Kilajo, I didn't say anything about seeing kids with severe allergies as "less than". I haven't said anything about your child's character...I think that's irrelevant to my point. Parents of "special needs" kids can't expect other parents to run their children's lives around the one kid's lifestyle. The appropriate thing to do is limit your own (general you) activities for the benefit of your child. No one being able to eat peanut butter because x percentage of the pop. is allergic to it is not the same as institutions building ramps to make buildings wheelchair accessible.

If I decide to have a child, and she has a severe allergy...I'll adjust my habits to fit that. Not try to adjust the world to fit me/her.
If you really think that one kid's PREFERENCE for peanuts trumps another kids NEED for an education, then there is pretty much no reasoning with you.

Public school is for everyone. Everyone. We all pay for it. It doesn't LIMIT or harm a child not to have peanut butter for one meal a day. How can you teach your able bodied healthy child that they should never make the slightest adaptation or adjustment for another child who has a disadvantage? Is that really the kind of person you want to raise?

I do have a child with special needs and I admit it's not something I gave a lot of thought WHEN MY CHILD WAS HEALTHY. It's a whole other world here on the other side.

I will be the first to admit that I get very frustrated with people who want accommodations for every little thing - especially every little self-diagnosed (or google-diagnosed) thing. I am frustrated with parents who don't want to parent, they just want a diagnosis and excuse. I know a few of these. I know a few who want an entire classroom turned upside down for something they can't get a doctor to acknowledge. It clogs up the system for children who need small accommodations and takes resources away from children who need them. 80% of the kids you meet have 'something.'

To bring this back around to Halle, I have never heard of her being diagnosed or admitting do a diagnosis but I don't follow her that closely. It does seem that we've all become SO hyper-aware of various issues and ailments that we jump in and armchair diagnose ourselves and everyone around us - which makes things INCREDIBLY hard for people who have legit mental health issues.

A lot of people have run out of tolerance for the one kid who has life threatening air born peanut allergies because half the kids we know are "peanut sensitive" according to their parents. No one has any empathy for someone who is truly depressed because 75% of the adults we know are on anti-depressants they get from their GP because they saw a commercial on tv.
scrills likes this.

Last edited by CGNYC; 01-12-2012 at 06:30 PM.
If you really think that one kid's PREFERENCE for peanuts trumps another kids NEED for an education, then there is pretty much no reasoning with you.

Public school is for everyone. Everyone. We all pay for it. It doesn't LIMIT or harm a child not to have peanut butter for one meal a day. How can you teach your able bodied healthy child that they should never make the slightest adaptation or adjustment for another child who has a disadvantage? Is that really the kind of person you want to raise?

I do have a child with special needs and I admit it's not something I gave a lot of thought WHEN MY CHILD WAS HEALTHY. It's a whole other world here on the other side.
Originally Posted by CGNYC
It's nice to know that everyone's reading comprehension levels are up to speed. Or are you willfully misreading my post? It's not just about preference, it's also about reality. Reality is, no one's going to be able to legislate peanuts out of existence (and it certainly wouldn't be reasonable to try o.O ) so if your kid's going to die because she smells a peanut...the better question to ask YOURself is: does a public education trump your child's need for LIFE.

The issue clearly isn't simply about limiting what a child eats for one meal a day. The issue is that, apparently, some kids can't even handle the presence of PB cheerios on the market. Some kids can't handle that another kid might not have washed all the PB off her hands from breakfast.

If this is your kid, you should invest in a bubble boy outfit or pull them from public school.

Last edited by AmberBrown; 01-12-2012 at 06:43 PM.

Special needs kids/ kids with disabilities should not be limited to a protective bubble. If we follow that vein then we go back 50 years when some people kept their disabled kids in sanitoriums or attics somewhere. They were separated from able-bodied people. People with disabilities including mental disabilities are still seen as less than by a lot of people. I am disheartened that people think the way your post suggests you think. I also pray you are never blessed with a special needs child, and yes I said blessed. Special needs children are usually the most loving, caring, unassuming children in the world. My son has never asked why him when he takes his ulcerative colitis, allergy, EGID, or asthma meds. He sees himself as no different than anyone else. No better, no worse. And by the way, at 3 he knows when he needs his inhaler and his allergy meds. By 5 I'm sure he'll know when he needs his epi pen and will be able to administer it to himself. But with all that said I do believe I said I would homeschool my child if I need to and would never suggest limiting any other kids.

On my EVO
Originally Posted by Kilajo
I agree, but the problem with peanut butter is that there is a small percentage of kids who are badly enough allergic that a whiff can kill them... and then a bunch of others who might get a rash or something that is possibly from peanuts, possibly from something else, but not die, but their parents/doctors, on the off chance that they develop into the ones who can die, treat them all the same so that it seems like there is this huge amount of peanut-sensitive kids. (I do have a pretty severe peanut allergy, but not so severe that I can't be around anything that has touched peanuts - I just can't consume them.)

So IF a kid TRULY is the can't-get-a-whiff type, if they are around your kid, it does put you in an awkward position b/c even if your kid doesn't bring PB to school, what if they had it at home and didn't wash their hands, or have a toy that touched it and share the toy, or you used a knife on PB, didn't wash it and cut something else in your kids' lunch and they share food, etc. etc. etc. and something bad happens to that kid? Are you responsible? And if not legally, what about the emotional fall-out? You can't completely remove traces of peanuts from every environment, and I think it is unreasonable to expect that.
Originally Posted by Amneris
And the bolded was my main point. Kilajo, I didn't say anything about seeing kids with severe allergies as "less than". I haven't said anything about your child's character...I think that's irrelevant to my point. Parents of "special needs" kids can't expect other parents to run their children's lives around the one kid's lifestyle. The appropriate thing to do is limit your own (general you) activities for the benefit of your child. No one being able to eat peanut butter because x percentage of the pop. is allergic to it is not the same as institutions building ramps to make buildings wheelchair accessible.

If I decide to have a child, and she has a severe allergy...I'll adjust my habits to fit that. Not try to adjust the world to fit me/her.
Originally Posted by AmberBrown
The bubble comment is why I responded to your post. I think that is an unreal expectation for someone with an allergic kid. Not just that but these kids deserve to be kids just like any kid. I've been very clear that I will protect my child from his allergens even if that means homeschooling. I also said I would never suggest limiting other kids.

On my EVO
Wow. Last time I checked I had freedom of speech. Any slur anyone wants to use is fair game. Consequences exist. But I am a firm believer in free speech. Say whats on your mind. Being PC is like being fake to me. If you want to think i'm insensitive to ppl with mental illnesses then you go right on ahead, you don't know me. Maybe I'm mentally ill & it takes one to know one, you never know. I don't know Halle but I have heard enough over the years to say I think she is crazy. I don't think halle berry is depressed. She would be if she had to live some of our lives and not hers.

Its just gossip. But I am glad I learned about ableists today. Thanks for sharing that.
Originally Posted by sienna40
PC is a ******** term used to tell people to accept the status quo and stop being so sensitive.
So, you have no problem with people going around calling other people n*ggers, *******s, ****s, and ***s?
Because I do. And I think the world is a better place when we stop using terms like these.
And frankly, it doesn't hurt you or anyone to stop using slurs to refer to people. Hiding behind the free speech banner is just a justification for lazy, douchey form of expression.
scrills likes this.

Last edited by Saria; 01-12-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Wow. Last time I checked I had freedom of speech. Any slur anyone wants to use is fair game. Consequences exist. But I am a firm believer in free speech. Say whats on your mind. Being PC is like being fake to me. If you want to think i'm insensitive to ppl with mental illnesses then you go right on ahead, you don't know me. Maybe I'm mentally ill & it takes one to know one, you never know. I don't know Halle but I have heard enough over the years to say I think she is crazy. I don't think halle berry is depressed. She would be if she had to live some of our lives and not hers.

Its just gossip. But I am glad I learned about ableists today. Thanks for sharing that.
Originally Posted by sienna40
PC is a ******** term used to tell people to accept the status quo and stop being so sensitive.
So, you have no problem with people going around calling other people n*ggers, *******s, ****s, and ***s?
Because I do. And I think the world is a better place when we stop using terms like these.
Originally Posted by Saria
Being racist, sexist, or homophobic is a lifestyle choice. It takes more than an inappropriate word to scare me off. If ppl aren't willing to change their mind then I don't care about what comes out their mouth. If they don' know any better we offer wisdom. Don't be sensitive and play victim, conquer and address the issue positively. Not in ways that shut ppl down.
About my hair:
weekly shampoo-HE Honey I'm Strong
daily conditioner-HE Honey I'm Strong (use as li)
go to style-Pocahontas braids

I know you're kidding, but that kind of attitude killed a little girl about two weeks ago. I am super super annoyed by people who "make up" allergies to be special or controlling but I've been in the classroom when a kid was exposed to contraband peanut products and had to use an epi pen. It's scary.

And back to Halle...there is "crazy" as in mentally ill, and I do think this is something we shouldn't make fun of and then there is "crazy" as in spoiled, entitled, dramatic and insulated by celebrity/beauty from the real world. I think Halle is more that kind of crazy. Like Angelina Jolie and the above-mentioned Britney Spears. Breaking down and throwing a big fit because you don't get your way isn't the same has having an actual illness you can't control. Spoiled isn't a disability.



And those are my unpopular opinions for the day! Enjoy!
Originally Posted by CGNYC

Very, very good point, with a strong dose of common sense, btw.
Originally Posted by Ninjarette
The point I’ve been trying to make repeatedly throughout this discussion is Halle Berry actually does have mental illness—as in a diagnosis of MDD. Mental illness is caused by chemical imbalance and psychosocial factors. Even if you think someone leads a charmed life, it doesn’t mean they are immune to this. Mental illness affects people of all walks of life.

You may think her diagnosis is fake or that she is bs’ing or trying to get attention, but regular people with mental illness are accused of this all the time (One of the major reasons why mental illness is not taken seriously).

She may very well have a spoiled rotten, rancid personality wholly unconnected to her depression. That’s a separate issue. Doesn’t mean she doesn’t have a legit mental illness.
Originally Posted by Layali
No...we get your point, but a few folks just don't agree with the necessity to get so deep with it. I understand you. Really.

But here's what I need you to understand...whether you agree with it or not: Saying someone is "crazy" doesn't mean you're making fun of them, making light of their serious situation, or implying that they're worthless, less-than or horrible people. That's the bottom line.

I understand that people with mental illnesses have issues with being called crazy. That's another hurdle to overcome....and it must be overcome. Life is like that, and people aren't obligated to pave your road with "easy" or "easier", for that matter. When you're sick, you have to get well, regardless of how others see you while you're ill. That's painful, but it's the truth..straight with no chaser. Along the way, there will be people who will be sensitive to your condition, but there will be people who won't.

You did fine, till the "common sense" little jab, which I admit, I didn't appreciate. I love soapboxes...I have several that I jump on, from time to time. You work closely with those who deal with mental illness. I applaud your respect for your job, and for acknowledging the difficulties others experience.

But, IN MY OPINION, comparing being called "crazy" to "using the N word" was a big stretch. Nuff on that.

People make all kinds of comments, that can be taken to heart, and cause discomfort for others. It's happened here too many times to say. Everybody has their own sensitivities, but quite frankly, one is no more important than another. This is a message board.

That is all for me, cuz this is getting redundant. Either you get what I'm saying or you don't. Either you agree, or you don't. But there's nothing left to be said on my end.

Peace..
Platinum Product Junkies
The Facebook
| The Twitter

The Product Lines:
Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
If you really think that one kid's PREFERENCE for peanuts trumps another kids NEED for an education, then there is pretty much no reasoning with you.

Public school is for everyone. Everyone. We all pay for it. It doesn't LIMIT or harm a child not to have peanut butter for one meal a day. How can you teach your able bodied healthy child that they should never make the slightest adaptation or adjustment for another child who has a disadvantage? Is that really the kind of person you want to raise?

I do have a child with special needs and I admit it's not something I gave a lot of thought WHEN MY CHILD WAS HEALTHY. It's a whole other world here on the other side.
Originally Posted by CGNYC
It's nice to know that everyone's reading comprehension levels are up to speed. Or are you willfully misreading my post? It's not just about preference, it's also about reality. Reality is, no one's going to be able to legislate peanuts out of existence (and it certainly wouldn't be reasonable to try o.O ) so if your kid's going to die because she smells a peanut...the better question to ask YOURself is: does a public education trump your child's need for LIFE.

The issue clearly isn't simply about limiting what a child eats for one meal a day. The issue is that, apparently, some kids can't even handle the presence of PB cheerios on the market. Some kids can't handle that another kid might not have washed all the PB off her hands from breakfast.

If this is your kid, you should invest in a bubble boy outfit or pull them from public school.
Originally Posted by AmberBrown
I had a very similar opinion (I hope I wasn't so rude about it) before I had kids. You know what life gave me? A child with special needs. Life can be humbling that way.
WileESteelNervs and Amneris like this.
If you really think that one kid's PREFERENCE for peanuts trumps another kids NEED for an education, then there is pretty much no reasoning with you.

Public school is for everyone. Everyone. We all pay for it. It doesn't LIMIT or harm a child not to have peanut butter for one meal a day. How can you teach your able bodied healthy child that they should never make the slightest adaptation or adjustment for another child who has a disadvantage? Is that really the kind of person you want to raise?

I do have a child with special needs and I admit it's not something I gave a lot of thought WHEN MY CHILD WAS HEALTHY. It's a whole other world here on the other side.
Originally Posted by CGNYC
It's nice to know that everyone's reading comprehension levels are up to speed. Or are you willfully misreading my post? It's not just about preference, it's also about reality. Reality is, no one's going to be able to legislate peanuts out of existence (and it certainly wouldn't be reasonable to try o.O ) so if your kid's going to die because she smells a peanut...the better question to ask YOURself is: does a public education trump your child's need for LIFE.

The issue clearly isn't simply about limiting what a child eats for one meal a day. The issue is that, apparently, some kids can't even handle the presence of PB cheerios on the market. Some kids can't handle that another kid might not have washed all the PB off her hands from breakfast.

If this is your kid, you should invest in a bubble boy outfit or pull them from public school.
Originally Posted by AmberBrown
I had a very similar opinion (I hope I wasn't so rude about it) before I had kids. You know what life gave me? A child with special needs. Life can be humbling that way.
Originally Posted by CGNYC
I haven't been rude. I've been blunt, sugar-coating things on the internet can lead to misunderstandings. I have been extra blunt with you, but I'm really just responding to your own tone. You made it seem like you could handle it.

If I decide that children are something I want in my life, and I have a child with a life-threatening allergy--I'll do everything I can to limit that threat. Meaning home-schooling or finding a school with funding for kids with that "special need". Aside from it not being fair to burden other parents, and especially other children, with such a huge responsibility for my child's well-being...I just wouldn't trust a stranger with that kind of power over my kid's life.
It's not a burden to pack something besides pb&j. Trust me. My child ate PB&J on whole wheat for lunch almost every day of her life from the time she was old enough to eat food till she started K. She is in the only peanut free classroom (the cafeteria has a system for keeping kids separated and the lunches are peanut free. Also, there is plenty of warning if the meal will contain pork and an alternative is offered on those days) so we didn't find out till right before school started that PB&J was off the menu for her.

This is tricky because she can't really do school lunch. She uses a walker and can't navigate a tray AND a walker. The school will accommodate but their idea is to assign a "lunch buddy" - another kid who brings lunch to carry her tray for her. They will all fight over whose turn it is for about three days and then they will be resentful so I pack her lunch.

THE SCHOOL has worked out a policy on peanuts. I'm friends with three of the four peanut-allergic kids in her class. They don't ask for accommodations, the school tells them how to handle it, and that includes having epi pens at school and making sure the kids know what to do with them (and adults).

No, they can't eliminate peanuts from the planet but that doesn't mean they shouldn't do anything.

And you have no idea what you'll do when you have kids. I know you hate hearing it, I hated hearing it but you just don't know till you have them.
But here's what I need you to understand...whether you agree with it or not: Saying someone is "crazy" doesn't mean you're making fun of them, making light of their serious situation, or implying that they're worthless, less-than or horrible people. That's the bottom line.
We agree to disagree on this point. "Crazy," "Whackadoodle," and "nut job" are value judgements.

I understand that people with mental illnesses have issues with being called crazy. That's another hurdle to overcome....and it must be overcome. Life is like that, and people aren't obligated to pave your road with "easy" or "easier", for that matter. When you're sick, you have to get well, regardless of how others see you while you're ill. That's painful, but it's the truth..straight with no chaser. Along the way, there will be people who will be sensitive to your condition, but there will be people who won't.
I would hope we aspire to a higher standard than this. You never know when you or someone you love will face a serious illness. Mental, emotional, and physical health are not guaranteed for anyone. Personally, I don’t believe compassion is difficult in concept or practice.

You did fine, till the "common sense" little jab, which I admit, I didn't appreciate.
Not intended as a jab. Apologies if you took it that way. Like you said:
People make all kinds of comments, that can be taken to heart, and cause discomfort for others. It's happened here too many times to say. Everybody has their own sensitivities, but quite frankly, one is no more important than another. This is a message board.
But, IN MY OPINION, comparing being called "crazy" to "using the N word" was a big stretch. Nuff on that.
NEVER. SAID. THAT. OR. EVEN. IMPLIED. IT. Don’t put words in mouth.

You’re right this is a message board—NO ONE should be surprised if their views are challenged. (Pssst, that goes for you, too)

I’m not going to apologize for “getting deep with it” or not “lightening up.” Obviously, mental health is an issue I take interest in and I’ll speak up whenever I feel it is appropriate.

For what’s it’s worth, I thought this was an interesting discussion.

Have a great night.


***Apologies to the original poster for derailing her thread.
Saria likes this.
naturally 3b/3c

Explanation by the tongue makes most things clear, but love unexplained is clearer. ~ Rumi

Trending Topics


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com