Horrible new folk remedy. Warning: it's pretty disturbing.

Like Tree16Likes

People have been smuggling ground-up dead newborn humans into South Korea.

Not much more to say, really.
Head palm!
No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Kimshi4242

http://www.tumblr.com/blog/kimshi4242
That's extremely disturbing, but it is interesting to me what kinds of folk remedies gain popularity in various parts of the world. Like, what kind of social/cultural knowledge/beliefs/values would make the ground-up baby flesh pills an acceptable course of treatment.
The New Black likes this.
Remember this next time you shop in Dollar stores in America...most/all of that stuff is made in China, where the stardards are much lower.
The ignorance and stupidity of human beings never fails to astound me.
The New Black likes this.
2/c and some 3A.
Protein sensitive but can use occasionally
Highly porous. Color over grey.
Best 1st day method: Super Soaker
Stylers: Mix Curls in a Bottle into everything for shine. Terrible pj
Sometimes try roller sets - classic glamor but I prefer my curls.
Every day is a gift
Remember this next time you shop in Dollar stores in America...most/all of that stuff is made in China, where the stardards are much lower.
Originally Posted by RedCatWaves
I have been thinking about this a lot lately with yet another round of recalled pet treats from China. It's only really just clicked for me that the standard isn't is this safe or not but can we get away with this or not. I am FULLY aware that our own food industry (for starters) is much the same but it seems like in some of these foreign markets, there's NO ONE looking out for the consumer. Or worker.
It's when we do something good that I'm astounded.^

Dogs and nature abhor a vacuum.
http://geaugadoggy.wordpress.com
Remember this next time you shop in Dollar stores in America...most/all of that stuff is made in China, where the stardards are much lower.
Originally Posted by RedCatWaves
I have been thinking about this a lot lately with yet another round of recalled pet treats from China. It's only really just clicked for me that the standard isn't is this safe or not but can we get away with this or not. I am FULLY aware that our own food industry (for starters) is much the same but it seems like in some of these foreign markets, there's NO ONE looking out for the consumer. Or worker.
Originally Posted by CGNYC


There is an old adage:

Democracy is the worst kind of government there is...except for every other kind of government.

That could apply here:

The USA has the worst consumer food and drug protection agency there is...except for every other country's protection agencies.

For all its faults, the FDA really does do a pretty good job of keeping our food and drugs relatively safe.

The Conservative wing of the Republican Party wants to competely do away with our FDA (and they want to get rid of the EPA too!)

Keep voting those Republican Tea Party candidates into office folks...and we can be just like China and have ground up human body parts in our drugs and melamine in our baby formula.
It's when we do something good that I'm astounded.^
Originally Posted by claudine19
Ha, yes.
Remember this next time you shop in Dollar stores in America...most/all of that stuff is made in China, where the stardards are much lower.
Originally Posted by RedCatWaves
What does dollar store stuff from China have to do with a folk medicine remedy in South Korea (A remedy I'm just guessing is very obscure.)?

I ironically have an interview tomorrow at a dollar store, and the manager is Korean. I'm sure she'd like to hear about all of these "Asian probs."

Most of the food grown in the U.S. is genetically modified while most of Europe does not allow genetic engineering, and the FDA has not proven the food to be safe. I don't see how getting food from China is riskier than that. Too late, we already are.

Last edited by NorahBugg; 05-07-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Also, why aren't those of you who are so freaked out by food from Asia out farming? I come from a long line of farmers, but no one in this generation of the family is farming. It is much more expensive to farm and manufacture here and even if it wasn't, the blue collar workforce is 1/4 of what it was in the 1950's. If we brought back the jobs, who would do them? Most of my generation is incredibly lazy and above that kind of work, but strangely enough not above sitting around and living off mom. That's what it comes down to - the U.S. dropping the ball and passing the blame.
Remember this next time you shop in Dollar stores in America...most/all of that stuff is made in China, where the stardards are much lower.
Originally Posted by RedCatWaves
What does dollar store stuff from China have to do with a folk medicine remedy in South Korea (A remedy I'm just guessing is very obscure.)?

I ironically have an interview tomorrow at a dollar store, and the manager is Korean. I'm sure she'd like to hear about all of these "Asian probs."

Most of the food grown in the U.S. is genetically modified while most of Europe does not allow genetic engineering, and the FDA has not proven the food to be safe. I don't see how getting food from China is riskier than that. Too late, we already are.
Originally Posted by NorahBugg


I did not use the term "Asian probs", so I don't know where you got that from. I said China specifically.

I think it's been shown time and time again that life seems to be very cheap in China. From tainted dog food to baby formula, no one seems to be watching out for what is being manufactured for consumption in China. I choose not to purchase China-made food and other products, so I don't shop in dollar stores, which seems to be a prime outlet for such products. It's really that simple. You can tell your potential boss whatever you like, but I wouldn't mention the Crazy-Internet-Lady-Who-Won't-Shop-in-Dollar-Stores if I were you.
I think it's important to remember that China is a communist country. The CPC is corrupt, oppressive and disorganized. The quality of the products that are produced in China is most likely a reflection of the political, economic, and social environment--not necessarily a reflection of the Chinese people, their standards or their values. The Chinese aren't a homogenous group, much like "American" applies to a variety of ethnic/religious/cultural/etc. groups in the US.

BTW, although the article is about a folk remedy in South Korea, it does say that the pills were manufactured in China.

Even so, as Norah stated, it's probably an obscure practice, or at least limited to a small group of people. The article doesn't state how widespread or popular the pills are.

Finally, are you currently out plowing a field Norah? Your advice is overly-simplistic.
Edited because I read the article AFTER posting.
Eres o te haces?
I think it's important to remember that China is a communist country. The CPC is corrupt, oppressive and disorganized. The quality of the products that are produced in China is most likely a reflection of the political, economic, and social environment--not necessarily a reflection of the Chinese people, their standards or their values. The Chinese aren't a homogenous group, much like "American" applies to a variety of ethnic/religious/cultural/etc. groups in the US.

BTW, although the article is about a folk remedy in South Korea, it does say that the pills were manufactured in China.

Even so, as Norah stated, it's probably an obscure practice, or at least limited to a small group of people. The article doesn't state how widespread or popular the pills are.

Finally, are you currently out plowing a field Norah? Your advice is overly-simplistic.
Originally Posted by midgi
No, and I'm not one of the ones complaining about Chinese food standards. I'm just happy to have food any more that I can afford. We can't have it both ways. If we want food made here, we have to make it here or stop complaining and putting blame on other nations. It's that simple. IDK I ate dollar store cookies a few weeks ago (made in India not China), and I'm still alive.

We are a global society. We can't just boycott a country's goods because we don't agree with its policies. Blame our leaders for their policies that discourage American agriculture like spiking property taxes.

Last edited by NorahBugg; 05-07-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Remember this next time you shop in Dollar stores in America...most/all of that stuff is made in China, where the stardards are much lower.
Originally Posted by RedCatWaves
What does dollar store stuff from China have to do with a folk medicine remedy in South Korea (A remedy I'm just guessing is very obscure.)?

I ironically have an interview tomorrow at a dollar store, and the manager is Korean. I'm sure she'd like to hear about all of these "Asian probs."

Most of the food grown in the U.S. is genetically modified while most of Europe does not allow genetic engineering, and the FDA has not proven the food to be safe. I don't see how getting food from China is riskier than that. Too late, we already are.
Originally Posted by NorahBugg


I did not use the term "Asian probs", so I don't know where you got that from. I said China specifically.

I think it's been shown time and time again that life seems to be very cheap in China. From tainted dog food to baby formula, no one seems to be watching out for what is being manufactured for consumption in China. I choose not to purchase China-made food and other products, so I don't shop in dollar stores, which seems to be a prime outlet for such products. It's really that simple. You can tell your potential boss whatever you like, but I wouldn't mention the Crazy-Internet-Lady-Who-Won't-Shop-in-Dollar-Stores if I were you.
Originally Posted by RedCatWaves
You seemed to be talking about South Korea and China as if they were one country.

Processed foods often contain ingredients from China and other countries, and don't require that info to be put on the label. We have plenty of Purina plants in the states (well less and less it seems - one near me burned down a few years ago and wasn't saved) but not all of its ingredients come from the U.S. Even upscale brands were in China wheat gluten recall that killed several pets.

I understand your POV, but I don't see how we can avoid when probably more and more foodstuffs will come from overseas. In the nuclear scare in Japan it was reported that 2% of our milk comes from Japan. It seems pretty surreal to me that even 2% would be but it's a different world than when I grew up with my school across from a dairy farm.

What does dollar store stuff from China have to do with a folk medicine remedy in South Korea (A remedy I'm just guessing is very obscure.)?

I ironically have an interview tomorrow at a dollar store, and the manager is Korean. I'm sure she'd like to hear about all of these "Asian probs."

Most of the food grown in the U.S. is genetically modified while most of Europe does not allow genetic engineering, and the FDA has not proven the food to be safe. I don't see how getting food from China is riskier than that. Too late, we already are.
Originally Posted by NorahBugg


I did not use the term "Asian probs", so I don't know where you got that from. I said China specifically.

I think it's been shown time and time again that life seems to be very cheap in China. From tainted dog food to baby formula, no one seems to be watching out for what is being manufactured for consumption in China. I choose not to purchase China-made food and other products, so I don't shop in dollar stores, which seems to be a prime outlet for such products. It's really that simple. You can tell your potential boss whatever you like, but I wouldn't mention the Crazy-Internet-Lady-Who-Won't-Shop-in-Dollar-Stores if I were you.
Originally Posted by RedCatWaves
You seemed to be talking about South Korea and China as if they were one country.

Processed foods often contain ingredients from China and other countries, and don't require that info to be put on the label. We have plenty of Purina plants in the states (well less and less it seems - one near me burned down a few years ago and wasn't saved) but not all of its ingredients come from the U.S. Even upscale brands were in China wheat gluten recall that killed several pets.

I understand your POV, but I don't see how we can avoid when probably more and more foodstuffs will come from overseas. In the nuclear scare in Japan it was reported that 2% of our milk comes from Japan. It seems pretty surreal to me that even 2% would be but it's a different world than when I grew up with my school across from a dairy farm.
Originally Posted by NorahBugg

The pills were made in China.
midgi and emthefantastical like this.
3b (with 3c tendencies) on modified CG

I can't speak for anyone else but the Dollar Store reference was a reminder, to me, that all cheap goods still come at a price, even if it isn't at the cash register. Those of us who can be responsible consumers should be, even if that just means consuming less. It's a damn shame that being poor means buying downright unsafe goods and food and what has happens with farming and food in this country is a crime.

This is relevant because there's a reason things from certain other countries are so much cheaper and it's not because they have magical cheap ingredients or workers who are happy to work in sweat shops.
Springcurl, Eilonwy and thelio like this.
I think it's important to remember that China is a communist country. The CPC is corrupt, oppressive and disorganized. The quality of the products that are produced in China is most likely a reflection of the political, economic, and social environment--not necessarily a reflection of the Chinese people, their standards or their values. The Chinese aren't a homogenous group, much like "American" applies to a variety of ethnic/religious/cultural/etc. groups in the US.

BTW, although the article is about a folk remedy in South Korea, it does say that the pills were manufactured in China.

Even so, as Norah stated, it's probably an obscure practice, or at least limited to a small group of people. The article doesn't state how widespread or popular the pills are.

Finally, are you currently out plowing a field Norah? Your advice is overly-simplistic.
Originally Posted by midgi
No, and I'm not one of the ones complaining about Chinese food standards. I'm just happy to have food any more that I can afford. We can't have it both ways. If we want food made here, we have to make it here or stop complaining and putting blame on other nations. It's that simple. IDK I ate dollar store cookies a few weeks ago (made in India not China), and I'm still alive.

We are a global society. We can't just boycott a country's goods because we don't agree with its policies. Blame our leaders for their policies that discourage American agriculture like spiking property taxes.
Originally Posted by NorahBugg
Actually, yes we can. Buying power is one of the most powerful ways people can make their voices heard.
Springcurl, midgi, Saria and 2 others like this.
I think it's important to remember that China is a communist country. The CPC is corrupt, oppressive and disorganized. The quality of the products that are produced in China is most likely a reflection of the political, economic, and social environment--not necessarily a reflection of the Chinese people, their standards or their values. The Chinese aren't a homogenous group, much like "American" applies to a variety of ethnic/religious/cultural/etc. groups in the US.

BTW, although the article is about a folk remedy in South Korea, it does say that the pills were manufactured in China.

Even so, as Norah stated, it's probably an obscure practice, or at least limited to a small group of people. The article doesn't state how widespread or popular the pills are.

Finally, are you currently out plowing a field Norah? Your advice is overly-simplistic.
Originally Posted by midgi
No, and I'm not one of the ones complaining about Chinese food standards. I'm just happy to have food any more that I can afford. We can't have it both ways. If we want food made here, we have to make it here or stop complaining and putting blame on other nations. It's that simple. IDK I ate dollar store cookies a few weeks ago (made in India not China), and I'm still alive.

We are a global society. We can't just boycott a country's goods because we don't agree with its policies. Blame our leaders for their policies that discourage American agriculture like spiking property taxes.
Originally Posted by NorahBugg
Actually, yes we can. Buying power is one of the most powerful ways people can make their voices heard.
Originally Posted by KookyCurl
Right, and the US boycotts goods ALL the time. We have trade regulations, implement sanctions, and recall goods that are deemed unsafe by our own standards.
emthefantastical likes this.

Trending Topics


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com