The Black nod, can you explain it?

Like Tree173Likes

Originally Posted by thelio
Am I going to hate myself for reading this? I've been unable to stomach things when it concerns both Black and Black women. The things that I have heard men say about Black women has caused me to not even bother with men anymore.
Check out my personal blog




Originally Posted by thelio
That's the one. All 18 pages of it!!!

Thank you!
Reminds me when this White guy that used to eat with me and my friends (he has a thing for Black women, go figure) told us that most Black people live in poverty and are loud and ghetto.

Made me think if most White people actually feel this way. But OFC, he has never really interacted with Black people until he met us, so it's safe to assume these generalizations arise from the media, but still? Eh...
Check out my personal blog




Originally Posted by thelio
Am I going to hate myself for reading this? I've been unable to stomach things when it concerns both Black and Black women. The things that I have heard men say about Black women has caused me to not even bother with men anymore.
Originally Posted by sleepymeko
I've read a couple pages. Nothing too bad. I've heard or read worse. but i'm only a couple pages in. so who knows how bad it can get.
Reminds me when this White guy that used to eat with me and my friends (he has a thing for Black women, go figure) told us that most Black people live in poverty and are loud and ghetto.

Made me think if most White people actually feel this way.
Originally Posted by sleepymeko
If we're talking about the US, then yes, most White people feel that way (not to sound like slinky1). And so do plenty of other people who aren't White or Black. Race and class are entirely conflated for most Americans. It's a technique politicians have used for ages to discourage class awareness. (Hell, that's been going on in what's now the US since before the US was a country.) And it fits in nicely with all the other stereotypes about Black people.

I've known more than a few people who assume that any Black person they see on the sidewalk or on a bike is homeless.

Last edited by Eilonwy; 06-26-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Reminds me when this White guy that used to eat with me and my friends (he has a thing for Black women, go figure) told us that most Black people live in poverty and are loud and ghetto.

Made me think if most White people actually feel this way. But OFC, he has never really interacted with Black people until he met us, so it's safe to assume these generalizations arise from the media, but still? Eh...
Originally Posted by sleepymeko
Yeah, I think that's where the whole backhanded compliment of "you don't act black/you're different from regular black people" comes from. The last time someone said that I made them clarify and they realized that "you don't act black" = "you're not uneducated, living in squalor, and speak solely in slang, loud, rude, etc". It's sad that people think that way.
Blame it on the cell phone...
Ninjarette likes this.
IMO, i think white people (i'm speaking generally, not all whites) are afraid of blacks. I think most white people really havent been around blacks too often and all they see is stereotypes on tv and movies. So when they see a gang of black boys they think,"could they be in a gang", not, "oh they just got from sports practice". I dont thing its also them beign racists, but just ignorant to the unknown.

I think some minorites tend to stick with their "own kind", because of this ignorance. Having to explain the "black nod" does not occur among blacks. having to explain this is like having to explain who you are. Some folks would rather avoid this.
Originally Posted by thelio
This is so true. Sometimes it's just "easier", and I don't always feel like "educating" white folks about who/what we are.
LadyV69, thelio and honeysweet20 like this.
Platinum Product Junkies
The Facebook
| The Twitter

The Product Lines:
Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
Maybe certain people should quit watching so much TV and learn about someone other than themselves for a change. Then if I watch TV I get called lazy BC I'm black. "I've gotten that " you're this/that for a black girl. Hearing comments like that is why there is a nod among black people in America. It's not that blacks segregate themselves. Other people do. Can you blame them(black people)?
This thread makes me glad I live in NYC where everyone is so rushed/crazed/weird that I've never seen anyone nod. Or else I'm just oblivious. Or maybe nobody ever nodded at me

Can you say tempest in a teapot? (much ado about nothing)
honeysweet20 likes this.
2/c and some 3A. Modified CG.
Protein sensitive
Highly porous. Color over grey.
Best 1st day method: Super Soaker
Conditioners: Curl Junkie Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner,
Deep condish: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab
Stylers: Mix Curls in a Bottle into everything for shine. Terrible pj
Sometimes try roller sets - classic glamor but I prefer my curls.
Every day is a gift
I didn't know any kind of nod existed until I moved to NC from MI. I asked my parents if they knew all of these random strangers who were nodding/smiling/speaking and they explained it as a southern thing.

Since then I've experienced the Black Nod, the Natural/Curly Nod, the Professional Nod, the Biker Wave, etc. Folks greet each other when they see someone they identify with.

Blame it on the cell phone...
Originally Posted by subbrock
Yeah, I think there is something regional about this. People in the South in general are just more likely to greet people than people from NYC.
In search of a lost signature...
I live in NYC and I've definitely gotten nods from people- because I was black and also for being natural. It probably happens more often in other places, but I've definitely experienced it here.
Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
BC'd: 9/18/09
Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

http://confessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com/
I live in NYC and I've definitely gotten nods from people- because I was black and also for being natural. It probably happens more often in other places, but I've definitely experienced it here.
Originally Posted by LadyV69
It DEFINITIELY happens and often in NYC.
OK. I guess not being black, I never experienced it and never noticed. Also, no problem - if people want to nod - why not?
2/c and some 3A. Modified CG.
Protein sensitive
Highly porous. Color over grey.
Best 1st day method: Super Soaker
Conditioners: Curl Junkie Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner,
Deep condish: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab
Stylers: Mix Curls in a Bottle into everything for shine. Terrible pj
Sometimes try roller sets - classic glamor but I prefer my curls.
Every day is a gift
I live in NYC and I've definitely gotten nods from people- because I was black and also for being natural. It probably happens more often in other places, but I've definitely experienced it here.
Originally Posted by LadyV69
I live in NYC too. Because of all I learned about black hair from this board, I sometimes get the urge to give the nod to black women with natural hair but then I figure they'd wonder what the heck the crazy white lady was staring at them for, so I don't.
Josephine likes this.
To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
I've gotten it more on the east coast. Sometimes ill get the "hey sista' or African queen thing with it now that I'm natural. When I relaxed my hair not so much.

With blacks people here, its just something that is done to acknowledge there is another black person and greeting them. In the Northwest I didn't notice it as much. People in the south greet people anyways. In the southern west area like L.A. I noticed it sometimes but not as much as back east. Its a unity thing.

Trending Topics


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com