Bedding!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PartyHair

I am in the search for new bedding and making my bed super comfortable.

I am looking for a mattress pad at some point. But right now I am focusing on bedding. I have always used a fitted sheet, top sheet, and comforter. If I need more warmth I will add a fleece or some other blanket.

But I've been looking into duvet covers with a duvet insert. There are a lot of hypoallergenic options so that is good for me.

I've also been looking at coverlets and quilts as an option.

I can see it being nice not to have to wash a duvet insert/comforter as often since it will be covered. But my comforters tend to be small enough where washing isn't a big problem.

Do you all have a preference?
3b | low-normal porosity (still confused, definitely not high porosity) | med to coarse texture

Co-Wash: most any silicone free V05 or Suave | RO: GVP Cond. Balm, GVP Joico K Pak, Tresemme Naturals Moisutrizing Cond., SheaMoisture Shea Butter Restorative Cond. | LI: one of my rinse outs | DT: one of my rinse outs with oil | Stylers: BRHG
My preference would be go with mattress topper first! I absolutely love microfill/fake feather toppers and they make a huge difference. It may only make so much difference to me because my back needs a VERY firm bed, but it hurts all the pointy bones to be on such a solid surface...


I absolutely love down duvets if I'm somewhere cold enough for one - I prefer them to any kind of hypoallergenic synthetic, but down is one of very few things to which I'm not allergic.
The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
-Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
I am actually not positive if I am allergic to down. I think I assume I am because I am allergic to so many things and my mother always told me I was. But I can't say I actually know for sure. So that is something I should be sure of.

Do you know the brand of the topper you have/like?
3b | low-normal porosity (still confused, definitely not high porosity) | med to coarse texture

Co-Wash: most any silicone free V05 or Suave | RO: GVP Cond. Balm, GVP Joico K Pak, Tresemme Naturals Moisutrizing Cond., SheaMoisture Shea Butter Restorative Cond. | LI: one of my rinse outs | DT: one of my rinse outs with oil | Stylers: BRHG
I have a Pacific Coast feather bed, pillows and duvet and love them all!!! The duvet and feather bed must be 10 years old and are still warm and fluffy!

I've asked for a memory foam topper (the ones Costco are carrying) for Christmas because my parents just got one and after laying on it for 5 minutes I was in love!

For sheets I switch up between silk and jersey. I did buy some 1200 Egyptian cotton a few weeks ago though and they are by far the nicest I have ever had! I always wear yoga pants to bed and have been going without because I love the way these feel on my legs so much
I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
Audrey Hepburn
I have a Pacific Coast feather bed, pillows and duvet and love them all!!! The duvet and feather bed must be 10 years old and are still warm and fluffy!

I've asked for a memory foam topper (the ones Costco are carrying) for Christmas because my parents just got one and after laying on it for 5 minutes I was in love!

For sheets I switch up between silk and jersey. I did buy some 1200 Egyptian cotton a few weeks ago though and they are by far the nicest I have ever had! I always wear yoga pants to bed and have been going without because I love the way these feel on my legs so much
Originally Posted by CurlyCanadian
I will look into that brand!

When you say duvet does that include duvet cover or do you just mean comforter?
3b | low-normal porosity (still confused, definitely not high porosity) | med to coarse texture

Co-Wash: most any silicone free V05 or Suave | RO: GVP Cond. Balm, GVP Joico K Pak, Tresemme Naturals Moisutrizing Cond., SheaMoisture Shea Butter Restorative Cond. | LI: one of my rinse outs | DT: one of my rinse outs with oil | Stylers: BRHG
Duvet meaning the down thing that does in the cover

I rather spend some good money on a duvet, then change out the covers if I get bored!
I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
Audrey Hepburn
Duvet meaning the down thing that does in the cover

I rather spend some good money on a duvet, then change out the covers if I get bored!
Originally Posted by CurlyCanadian
Oh, I know. I was just clarifying because I know the word duvet is often used to refer to duvet cover. Honestly, only recently did I figure out they are not the same.
3b | low-normal porosity (still confused, definitely not high porosity) | med to coarse texture

Co-Wash: most any silicone free V05 or Suave | RO: GVP Cond. Balm, GVP Joico K Pak, Tresemme Naturals Moisutrizing Cond., SheaMoisture Shea Butter Restorative Cond. | LI: one of my rinse outs | DT: one of my rinse outs with oil | Stylers: BRHG
Down is too hot for me. I prefer lightweight cotton comforters or quilts. They have to be SUPER lightweight. A good mattress pad is the place to start. I already have a foam topper as part of my mattress, so I just add a thick cotton pad. Good sheets are next. I think Lands End has the best sheets. They are the only company I know of where the top sheet is LONG enough to tuck in and have enough left over to fold over the blanket to protect my face from the blanket. I hate being short-sheeted with the crap sheets the Big Box stores sell. Sheets don't have to be 1,000 count to be good. 400 or so is good enough, I think. Don't forget to get a silk pillowcase. There are vendors on eBay that sell 30 momme silk cases for about $30. Anything lower than 30 mm is not going to hold up to daily use. Never put silk in the dryer. I hang dry my silk pillowcases. They dry quickly.
If I could fit my comforter in the washing machine, I would get a regular comforter for the guest room. My comforter is a regular one, I pay $20 to get it cleaned once in a while. My guest futon has a duvet since that needs to be cleaned more often and I find it a pain and the cover just doesnt look as neat as a regular comforter.

If I have firmer mattress id do a foam topper, then a mattress pad. Right now I just have a mattress pad. I also need a heavy blanket and sheet, even in the summer. In the winter sometimes I need to add a thin blanket.
So you all recommend a foam topper and a mattress pad?
3b | low-normal porosity (still confused, definitely not high porosity) | med to coarse texture

Co-Wash: most any silicone free V05 or Suave | RO: GVP Cond. Balm, GVP Joico K Pak, Tresemme Naturals Moisutrizing Cond., SheaMoisture Shea Butter Restorative Cond. | LI: one of my rinse outs | DT: one of my rinse outs with oil | Stylers: BRHG
So you all recommend a foam topper and a mattress pad?
Originally Posted by Res
I love my memory foam mattress topper. I dont put a mattress pad on top of it just a fitted sheet then another fitted sheet on top of that that matches my top sheet. I have a microfiber comforter with duvet cover but I rarely use it: i'm using it right now because I have my windows open and it gets chilly at night.
I bought my topper from overstock. I buy my sheets from qvc and they're deep enough to tuck in- northern nights has some nice sheets
So you all recommend a foam topper and a mattress pad?
Originally Posted by Res


I do...for cleanliness. Mattress toppers aren't generally washable. Not easily anyway. A regular cotton mattress pad washes easily.
So you all recommend a foam topper and a mattress pad?
Originally Posted by Res


I do...for cleanliness. Mattress toppers aren't generally washable. Not easily anyway. A regular cotton mattress pad washes easily.
Originally Posted by RedCatWaves
Oh, okay. I think I got confused and thought that the mattress pad was similar to the foam topper, so it seemed silly to have both. But that makes sense now and I looked at different pictures so yeah I think I will go with both of those things.

And thank you for the Land's End suggestion! I like LE for coats and their things just seem generally well made.
3b | low-normal porosity (still confused, definitely not high porosity) | med to coarse texture

Co-Wash: most any silicone free V05 or Suave | RO: GVP Cond. Balm, GVP Joico K Pak, Tresemme Naturals Moisutrizing Cond., SheaMoisture Shea Butter Restorative Cond. | LI: one of my rinse outs | DT: one of my rinse outs with oil | Stylers: BRHG
I think duvets and their covers are a pain in the you know what and always look messy. I like quits. Easy to wash and dry and I don't get too hot. When I lived in NYC, I layered one of those really soft blankets under the quilt.
I think that I deceive genius.
And I also hate flat sheets...I always get tangled up.
I think that I deceive genius.
I have had both a regular comforter and the duvet cover/insert situation. I like the regular comforter better - I like clean lines and the duvet/cover thing is just too "shabby chic"-looking/rumpled for me. I am getting ready to change out the duvet/cover for a more fitted, sleek comforter.

Also, the duvet insert is freakin' heavy and makes making the bed even more of a pain in the ass.
Josephine likes this.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Trending Topics


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com