CurlTalk

CurlTalk (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/)
-   Non-hair discussion (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/non-hair-discussion/)
-   -   Elf on the Shelf (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/non-hair-discussion/152392-elf-shelf.html)

goldencurly 11-28-2012 12:59 PM

Elf on the Shelf
 
This is the creepiest thing I have seen this holiday season. A friend of mine was talking about it and I googled it. I thought it looked like a pedophile with the expression it has on its face. You're supposed to move it around your home and it watches the kids and reports back to Santa. I think it is creepy looking and the whole concept takes the naughty/nice thing across the line.

Am I alone in thinking this is weird and creepy and possibly scary to children? It's creepy to me!

Nallia 11-28-2012 01:05 PM

My kids love it (they're 6 and 5). They've been asking when Charlie (they named him) is coming back for over a month. We put him out ion December 1st. It's a game. They love running around the house every morning to see where he went and what he got into while they were in bed.

murrrcat 11-28-2012 01:16 PM

that sounds fun. I want one.

Who Me? 11-28-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldencurly (Post 2077450)
This is the creepiest thing I have seen this holiday season. A friend of mine was talking about it and I googled it. I thought it looked like a pedophile with the expression it has on its face. You're supposed to move it around your home and it watches the kids and reports back to Santa. I think it is creepy looking and the whole concept takes the naughty/nice thing across the line.

Am I alone in thinking this is weird and creepy and possibly scary to children? It's creepy to me!

Ha, that's been around for years now! It's definitely getting bigger and bigger. Last year or the year before I was asking people if they'd heard of this crazy new thing my niece and nephews had called "Elf on a Shelf" and everyone basically rolled their eyes at me and said everyone had one, and if I had kids, I'd know about it.

I agree that the guy is creepy, but it's a cute idea. My nice and nephews love him, too. I forget his name, though. Eddie, I think. I don't know if he moves every night for them, or just once in a while.

iroc 11-28-2012 01:31 PM

I think its cute. We don't have one but the kids know the story and they like it. I want to get one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using CurlTalk App

Jenny C 11-28-2012 01:32 PM

My girls (ages 6 and 5) also love the Elf on the shelf. We didn't get it until a few days before Christmas last year so this year I brought him out early. My kids went berserk when they saw him - jumping up and down, screaming, the whole thing.

Of course the first night I forgot to move the stupid thing, but luckily DH moved it for me. It is a little creepy looking, but the kids don't care.

It's fun - don't overthink it.

CGNYC 11-28-2012 02:29 PM

My mom got a different elf, Christopher Something?, for my daught four or five years ago. He hides and brings candy. No spying. That **** is creepy.

Nallia 11-28-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenny C (Post 2077474)
My girls (ages 6 and 5) also love the Elf on the shelf. We didn't get it until a few days before Christmas last year so this year I brought him out early. My kids went berserk when they saw him - jumping up and down, screaming, the whole thing.

Of course the first night I forgot to move the stupid thing, but luckily DH moved it for me. It is a little creepy looking, but the kids don't care.

It's fun - don't overthink it.

It is creepy looking, in a horror movie, doll comes to life and goes all evil crazy, kind of way to me, but my kids think he's cute. lol

SpiralSpunk 11-28-2012 02:38 PM

I just googled it, he looks like a character in one of those classic Christmas cartoons ( like the one with Heatmeister (sp?). All of those characters are a bit creepy looking!

sinistral55 11-28-2012 02:50 PM

Years and years ago, at our first apartment when I got married, somebody left a tied-up plastic grocery bag at the front door.

Inside was a motley assortment of old Christmas decorations......stuff like a tall Christmas candle holder covered in that grainy stuff and looks like a tall glass(anybody remember those?)...... a bunch of little vintage-y leaping Santa ornaments (they were velvet)....and an Elf On The Shelf.

I didn't know what he was; I don't even remember what happened to him. I vaguely remember taking him to work. I heard about Elf On the Shelf somewhere else this week, googled him, and that's how I recognized him.

I like that retro-ish Christmas stuff so I think he's cute.

That bag of stuff appearing on my doorstep was kinda creepy, actually.....

cailin 11-28-2012 05:16 PM

I find that little Elf so creepy it's not even funny. I taught my neices and nephews to tell the Elf that "snitches get stiches"

medussa 11-28-2012 05:41 PM

I love the concept, but it forces me to be on my toes. I forgot to move him the night before last. I set a reminder on my phone. I can't forget to move Murphy, or these kids will figure it out after awhile.

CGNYC 11-28-2012 05:43 PM

It's a bad feeling when you wake up in a cold sweat at 6.55 am and realize you have five minutes to find a new hiding place for that sucker and you might get caught.

Ericachristina 11-28-2012 06:22 PM

I think it's a cute idea I can see how kids would have fun with this, its a bit like a game for them.
The elf looks a bit...old fashion but if he scares you why not try the idea out with another elf? Does it have to be exactly that same elf doll because I am sure you may be able to find a cuter one out there, afterall santa has more than one elf.

roseannadana 11-28-2012 06:34 PM

I think it's creepy but I also hate the nutcracker decorations. argh those chomping jaws! Those teeth!

Jenny C 11-29-2012 07:50 AM

I tell you that stupid elf is better than any alarm clock.

Usually in the morning my girls like to snuggle with me in my bed and it's impossible to get them to get up and out. Not so with Jingle in the house. Now the minute they wake up they're dying to get up and try to find him.

He's only been here three nights and I forgot to move him two of those nights. Thankfully my husband gets up before the rest of us.

MUST REMEMBER TONIGHT!

thelio 11-29-2012 12:49 PM

y'all talking about this guy?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41-rXtYSDOL.jpg

Poodlehead 11-29-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by medussa (Post 2077582)
I love the concept, but it forces me to be on my toes. I forgot to move him the night before last. I set a reminder on my phone. I can't forget to move Murphy, or these kids will figure it out after awhile.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CGNYC (Post 2077584)
It's a bad feeling when you wake up in a cold sweat at 6.55 am and realize you have five minutes to find a new hiding place for that sucker and you might get caught.

That's hysterical!

I grew up with an elf on the tree that looked like those, so I bought one many years ago. We don't have the spying concept going on, though. He's just another ornament.

Speckla 11-29-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murrrcat (Post 2077459)
that sounds fun. I want one.


https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...ccavhMjR9RFLuo

I want a murrrtutle in a gurrtutle.

PartyHair 11-29-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CGNYC (Post 2077510)
He hides and brings candy.

Two of my favorite traits in a man - brings candy then stays out the way. :)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com