Go Back   CurlTalk > Life > Non-hair discussion

Like Tree53Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #41
 
curlyarca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 15,778
Default

Sad.

Um, people kill themselves over perceived humiliation all the time. If humiliation is not a reason to kill yourself...what's a "better" reason? I think it's silly to even try to say what's worse.

If that happened in the US, you could lose everything.....someone would be suing, you could be fined up to 100k by law, you could lose your job, etc. A few years back I recall a nurse at some great hospital here in the US killing herself after a med error on a kid. Is that worth killing yourself over....ugh.
wild~hair, murrrcat and poemaXX like this.
__________________

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
curlyarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:25 PM   #42
 
Wiregirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,755
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCatWaves View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinfoilhat View Post
I'm tired of 'bullies' being blamed for every weak pitiful human killing themselves. lol Seriously? they are bullies now for pulling a prank?

If I call someone an idiot, and they go jump off a building that is not my problem. No one can force you to kill yourself, she was a grown woman with issues apparently.

Blaming anyone for suicide besides the idiot killing themselves is like blaming other people for an eating disorder, lol. It's just deflection.

Hmmmm...

Code:
 
Would you care for a slice of orange?
 
Or maybe a slice of roasted road runner?
You are WAY off RCW! I know who she is!
Wiregirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #43
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 46
Default

MODERATION AND INFRACTIONS: If you receive a warning or infraction for one of your posts and have a question about the moderation, please PM a Forum Moderator to receive clarity. Derailing the thread in question with arguments about the moderation is not allowed and any such posts will be removed by the CurlTalk staff.

Last edited by Guide22; 12-07-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Tinfoilhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #44
 
Eilonwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 12,143
Default

I doubt that she went from being totally fine to suicidal because of the prank. But I can absolutely see the prank, and its professional consequences, being the last straw for someone who's already depressed. The DJs should be held responsible because they knowingly picked a mark who could very easily be identified.

I try to keep in mind that anyone I interact with may have depression or similar issues. After all, so many people do.
curlylaura and wild~hair like this.

Last edited by Eilonwy; 12-07-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Eilonwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:45 PM   #45
 
CanItBeChristine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 8,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eilonwy View Post
I doubt that she went from being totally fine to suicidal because of the prank. But I can absolutely see the prank, and its professional consequences, being the last straw for someone who's already depressed. The DJs should be held responsible because the potential for serious harm is so obvious.

I try to keep in mind that anyone I interact with may have depression or similar issues. After all, so many people do.

Agreed. I had an experience a few months ago when I was absolutely at a very low point, and somebody who knew very well I was very low did/said some extremely cruel things to/about me for the sheer sake of being cruel and hurting me.

When I heard about this this morning, I thought about my situation. I'm not saying I was suicidal, but what if what that person did to me sent me over the edge, since I was already EXTREMELY vulnerable and depressed? How would he have felt had I gone and done something drastic to hurt myself because it was just the last straw?

You never know what battle another person is fighting or what demons they have going-on in their head. It's so sad.
wild~hair likes this.
CanItBeChristine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #46
 
RedCatWaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 31,616
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiregirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCatWaves View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinfoilhat View Post
I'm tired of 'bullies' being blamed for every weak pitiful human killing themselves. lol Seriously? they are bullies now for pulling a prank?

If I call someone an idiot, and they go jump off a building that is not my problem. No one can force you to kill yourself, she was a grown woman with issues apparently.

Blaming anyone for suicide besides the idiot killing themselves is like blaming other people for an eating disorder, lol. It's just deflection.

Hmmmm...

Code:
 
Would you care for a slice of orange?
 
Or maybe a slice of roasted road runner?
You are WAY off RCW! I know who she is!


I guess I don't know who it is then. I guess I don't even care...because I'm not going to ask you. LOL
Wiregirl likes this.
RedCatWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:21 PM   #47
 
wild~hair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 10,945
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eilonwy View Post
I doubt that she went from being totally fine to suicidal because of the prank. But I can absolutely see the prank, and its professional consequences, being the last straw for someone who's already depressed. The DJs should be held responsible because they knowingly picked a mark who could very easily be identified.

I try to keep in mind that anyone I interact with may have depression or similar issues. After all, so many people do.
This. That it is seriously so hard for someone to relate to another's problems baffles me.

Why do people have to be so hard on other people, so callous? It costs nothing to be kind, and yet so many people find it beyond their abilities.

I think it's kind of a lame excuse, personally.

It especially baffles me that spiderlashes would have a hard time connecting the dots here. I seem to recall she worked for a suicide hotline or similar at one point. Or am I confusing her with someone else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanItBeChristine View Post
You never know what battle another person is fighting or what demons they have going-on in their head. It's so sad.
Precisely.

“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.”

Last edited by wild~hair; 12-07-2012 at 10:23 PM.
wild~hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:04 PM   #48
 
Finch00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 170
Default

We don't know how her employer may have likely chewed her out. My boss yells at me for the littlest stupidest things, I can't imagine what would happen if I messed up when dealing with royalty. If your whole life is your nursing job, and you mess that up, and the whole world hears about it...I can definitely imagine being suicidal.
maria_i likes this.
__________________
CG since Jan 2009. Hair: 3b, fine
LeaveIn/ Conditioners: Alaffia, AOHR
Gel - KCCC, FSG, LA Looks, HETT
Protein: IAGirl's Recipe and AOGPB. DT: Honey+Coconut Oil Aloe Vera Gel/ Mineral Oil/ Alcohols: Don't work well.
Finch00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:35 PM   #49
 
Wiregirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,755
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCatWaves View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiregirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCatWaves View Post


Hmmmm...

Code:
 
Would you care for a slice of orange?
 
Or maybe a slice of roasted road runner?
You are WAY off RCW! I know who she is!


I guess I don't know who it is then. I guess I don't even care...because I'm not going to ask you. LOL
Good, because I wouln't tell you! Just wanted to let you know that you are wrong! LOL
Wiregirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:18 AM   #50
 
Fifi.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 8,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eilonwy View Post
I doubt that she went from being totally fine to suicidal because of the prank. But I can absolutely see the prank, and its professional consequences, being the last straw for someone who's already depressed. The DJs should be held responsible because they knowingly picked a mark who could very easily be identified.

I try to keep in mind that anyone I interact with may have depression or similar issues. After all, so many people do.
Agreed. This woman might have had suicidal thoughts and numerous things going on in her personal life for quite some time. Most people consider it many times before acting. I in no way know for sure but I would find it more reasonable that this career ending mistake (given the fuss) was the last straw.

Regardless, it is sad. She really did not give damaging personal information. 'Resting and fluids', not a complete medical history.
__________________
When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??


Last edited by Fifi.G; 12-08-2012 at 01:21 AM.
Fifi.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:50 AM   #51
 
Fifi.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 8,625
Default

Oh my goodness. The link just pulled up and I saw it wasn't even the nurse who gave the general info. It is already a 3 ring circus.

I do often think of how much stress William and Kate have to be under, due to the insane coverage. It has to bring up thoughts and feelings of what happened to his mom.
__________________
When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

Fifi.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:40 AM   #52
 
Starmie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 4,231
Default

Been something of a backlash over here, the dj's have been taken off air and all advertising pulled from the station. The CEO (I think it was) was interviewed today and said, quite rightly I think, that no-one could possibly have seen such a tragic outcome to a prank call. I can only assume, as others have said, that this woman had other stuff going on in her life and this was the last straw. I don't know about the worldwide humiliation angle as who would have known who it was that had answered the call and put it through? I never heard anyone's name mentioned until she died. There would no doubt been consequences from the hospital re confidentiality and all that (I'm a nurse - it can be really difficult sometimes) but who can honestly say they would have denied the Queen information if they truly thought that was who they were talking to? It's a hospital where the hoi-polloi go, I'm sure they get phone calls from the "gentry" all the time, how do they know who they're talking to? And very little info was actually given out, nothing earth-shattering. Prince Charles even made a joke of it (before the death obviously).
It just seems a sad but gross over-reaction to something that would soon have been yesterday's news.
And I'm in no way condoning what the dj's did, they shouldn't have been intruding on someone's privacy like that.
wild~hair likes this.
__________________
3b in South Australia.
Starmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:17 AM   #53
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,549
Default

I agree that there was something going on with her before that point. She had a two young children. She would leave them over a stupid prank? Who knew her name until then? Something is missing. I can't yet blame the DJs. They were stupid - I hate pranks and practical jokes. So sad...
Jenny C likes this.
Myradella3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:11 AM   #54
 
redcelticcurls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 14,014
Send a message via Yahoo to redcelticcurls
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starmie View Post
Been something of a backlash over here, the dj's have been taken off air and all advertising pulled from the station. The CEO (I think it was) was interviewed today and said, quite rightly I think, that no-one could possibly have seen such a tragic outcome to a prank call. I can only assume, as others have said, that this woman had other stuff going on in her life and this was the last straw. I don't know about the worldwide humiliation angle as who would have known who it was that had answered the call and put it through? I never heard anyone's name mentioned until she died. There would no doubt been consequences from the hospital re confidentiality and all that (I'm a nurse - it can be really difficult sometimes) but who can honestly say they would have denied the Queen information if they truly thought that was who they were talking to? It's a hospital where the hoi-polloi go, I'm sure they get phone calls from the "gentry" all the time, how do they know who they're talking to? And very little info was actually given out, nothing earth-shattering. Prince Charles even made a joke of it (before the death obviously).
It just seems a sad but gross over-reaction to something that would soon have been yesterday's news.
And I'm in no way condoning what the dj's did, they shouldn't have been intruding on someone's privacy like that.
I'd been wondering how all of this was being received in Australia.
maria_i likes this.
__________________
Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
redcelticcurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:23 AM   #55
 
The New Black's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 13,724
Default

I'm really surprised they don't have a code word or some other type of process for confirming identities and such. And I guess they don't have any HIPAA-type regulations in the UK...
__________________
No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Kimshi4242

http://www.tumblr.com/blog/kimshi4242
The New Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:44 AM   #56
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 10,003
Default

I think the Royal family should have a code word or something also that would have prevented this from happening. I think the blame goes first and foremost to the DJ's who committed the prank, then to the hospital and those in charge for not having a system in place to prevent something like this.

That said, it is one thing to be humiliated in a small circle of people, but to be humiliated all around the world was probably a terrible burden for this nurse to carry. I'm sure she was scolded (can't think of a better word) from her supervisors. On top of that she was probably laughed at by everyone else for falling for the prank. The public humiliation is a burden many people can't handle. I agree with the people who label this as a form of public bullying. Am glad the DJ's were suspended. Hope this is a lesson to everyone that a prank that may seem harmless to you may be just the opposite to the one who is the object of said prank.
wild~hair and poemaXX like this.
__________________
3b/c
munchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #57
 
Fifi.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 8,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The New Black View Post
I'm really surprised they don't have a code word or some other type of process for confirming identities and such. And I guess they don't have any HIPAA-type regulations in the UK...
I believe they have The Data Protection act but it is not as strict as HIPPA. You can release information to family members, which actually makes sense.

They probably would have/had a hard time considering this a violation. (Especially considering that the nurse who killed herself just transferred a call) She (the other) did not sell or leak info to a tabloid. Not much more was said than what had already been released by the Royal Family in press statements. It was already out there. And it seemed more info given on basic treatment than the condition. The media was hyping it up into a scandal and creating more of an expected back lash.

It was a security violation more than anything else. They should have had a code word in place. That was a fail on everyones part.

(Just to clarify)
The New Black likes this.
__________________
When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??


Last edited by Fifi.G; 12-08-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Fifi.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #58
 
RedCatWaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 31,616
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchkin View Post
...it is one thing to be humiliated in a small circle of people, but to be humiliated all around the world was probably a terrible burden for this nurse to carry. I'm sure she was scolded (can't think of a better word) from her supervisors. On top of that she was probably laughed at by everyone else for falling for the prank. The public humiliation is a burden many people can't handle. I agree with the people who label this as a form of public bullying.

If she was a person struggling with personal/emotional/psychiatric issues, and just managing to keep herself together enough to work and be a productive member of society...I can see how the sh1tstorm that hit her might have knocked her for such a loop that she thought there was no other way out. She may have been punished extremely hard by her employer, not to mention the oppressive tabloid attention. She probably couldn't see how it would have faded in a few days. She probably really suffered on her final day.
Rubber Biscuit and poemaXX like this.
RedCatWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #59
 
curlylaura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 6,408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The New Black View Post
I'm really surprised they don't have a code word or some other type of process for confirming identities and such. And I guess they don't have any HIPAA-type regulations in the UK...
Yep, medical professionals here just blab peoples private info all over the place without any repercussions what so ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi.G View Post
I believe they have The Data Protection act but it is not as strict as HIPPA. You can release information to family members, which actually makes sense.
Too a point.
__________________
Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
curlylaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:50 AM   #60
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 10,003
Default

I also thought about the cultural difference. I think some societies are probably much more offended by something than others. This could have been the case here.
__________________
3b/c
munchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com