Tell me your thoughts on yoga.

Like Tree390Likes

"I have no desire to challenge or question anyone’s personal relationship with their religion, but just because yoga isn’t a facet of Christianity doesn’t mean it is inherently demonic or “bad” by any means… and I’d implore you to do some research of your own into the history of yoga and how it has – for better or worse – branched off into a practice that challenges the body on its own.

"I don’t praise anyone when I practice yoga. My actions are defined by what’s in my heart and mind when I put my hands together and form a pose. If it “looks demonic” to develop the strength in my quads, calves and abs to be able to balance on one leg while holding the other in the air? You’ll just have to call me demonic, then. In my heart lies no demonic forces, and that’s the bottom line.
In short… please – PLEASE – research for yourself. Don’t google “yoga is demonic” because I’m sure there’s more than enough fearmongering out there. Google “history of yoga” and look for yourself. After that, THEN look at “yoga is demonic” and see whether or not it makes sense to you. That’s all I can say.

-Erika Nicole Kendall of "A Black Girl's Guide to Weight Loss"
http://blackgirlsguidetoweightloss.c...acticing-yoga/
wild~hair and Rubber Biscuit like this.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
lol, I like the superintendent's response too and I do think there was well-deserved (IMO blahblhablahblah) sarcasm there.
Originally Posted by Like.Australia
I agree. I don't know how schools are now but we had Christmas parties, stories about Santa and Easter activities. My non Christian parents were not worried about it at all.
lol, I like the superintendent's response too and I do think there was well-deserved (IMO blahblhablahblah) sarcasm there.
Originally Posted by Like.Australia
I agree. I don't know how schools are now but we had Christmas parties, stories about Santa and Easter activities. My non Christian parents were not worried about it at all.
Originally Posted by Josephine
This. This. This. Christianity is forced on non-Christians, and non-Christians (for the most part) simply take it in stride.

My Catholic parents encouraged me to explore other religions, cultures, and ways of life as a kid. I spent my 8th grade year attending various religious services, and felt it contributed significantly to my growth as a human being.
B-wavy likes this.
- Seek first to understand, then to be understood.
- Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you.
lol, I like the superintendent's response too and I do think there was well-deserved (IMO blahblhablahblah) sarcasm there.
Originally Posted by Like.Australia
I agree. I don't know how schools are now but we had Christmas parties, stories about Santa and Easter activities. My non Christian parents were not worried about it at all.
Originally Posted by Josephine
I don't think worship of any kind should be pushed in public school.

A basic description of different practices is fine IMO. But the kids shouldn't be asked to participate in any religion-based experience or worship.

For clarification - my issue w/ the school isn't that they offered the yoga class (I'm sure they were well-intentioned). My issue is that the representative who wrote the letter was so sarcastic in the response when certain parents objected to.

Why not honor the parents' wishes in a respectful way?
3b (with 3c tendencies) on modified CG

"I have no desire to challenge or question anyone’s personal relationship with their religion, but just because yoga isn’t a facet of Christianity doesn’t mean it is inherently demonic or “bad” by any means… and I’d implore you to do some research of your own into the history of yoga and how it has – for better or worse – branched off into a practice that challenges the body on its own.

"I don’t praise anyone when I practice yoga. My actions are defined by what’s in my heart and mind when I put my hands together and form a pose. If it “looks demonic” to develop the strength in my quads, calves and abs to be able to balance on one leg while holding the other in the air? You’ll just have to call me demonic, then. In my heart lies no demonic forces, and that’s the bottom line.
In short… please – PLEASE – research for yourself. Don’t google “yoga is demonic” because I’m sure there’s more than enough fearmongering out there. Google “history of yoga” and look for yourself. After that, THEN look at “yoga is demonic” and see whether or not it makes sense to you. That’s all I can say.

-Erika Nicole Kendall of "A Black Girl's Guide to Weight Loss"
5 Things I Learned From Practicing Yoga | A Black Girl's Guide To Weight Loss
Originally Posted by curlyarca
No one said anything about it being demonic.
3b (with 3c tendencies) on modified CG

lol, I like the superintendent's response too and I do think there was well-deserved (IMO blahblhablahblah) sarcasm there.
Originally Posted by Like.Australia
I agree. I don't know how schools are now but we had Christmas parties, stories about Santa and Easter activities. My non Christian parents were not worried about it at all.
Originally Posted by Josephine
I don't think worship of any kind should be pushed in public school.

A basic description of different practices is fine IMO. But the kids shouldn't be asked to participate in any religion-based experience or worship.

For clarification - my issue w/ the school isn't that they offered the yoga class (I'm sure they were well-intentioned). My issue is that the representative who wrote the letter was so sarcastic in the response when certain parents objected to.

Why not honor the parents' wishes in a respectful way?
Originally Posted by spiderlashes5000
Because Christian parents would undoubtedly roll their eyes if "other" parents complained about a Christmas/Easter/etc-related activity. I mean seriously, you can't be living in such a bubble that you don't see how non-Christian kids get Christian things pushed on them every day.

I agree. I don't know how schools are now but we had Christmas parties, stories about Santa and Easter activities. My non Christian parents were not worried about it at all.
Originally Posted by Josephine
I don't think worship of any kind should be pushed in public school.

A basic description of different practices is fine IMO. But the kids shouldn't be asked to participate in any religion-based experience or worship.

For clarification - my issue w/ the school isn't that they offered the yoga class (I'm sure they were well-intentioned). My issue is that the representative who wrote the letter was so sarcastic in the response when certain parents objected to.

Why not honor the parents' wishes in a respectful way?
Originally Posted by spiderlashes5000
Because Christian parents would undoubtedly roll their eyes if "other" parents complained about a Christmas/Easter/etc-related activity. I mean seriously, you can't be living in such a bubble that you don't see how non-Christian kids get Christian things pushed on them every day.
Originally Posted by Like.Australia
Wrong. And wrong.

I am a Christian parent and I would not roll my eyes at nonChristian parents objecting to Christianity being pushed on their kids in public school.

And I'm not debating whether or not Christianity gets pushed on nonChristian kids. I'm sure it does. But that does not invalidate the objection to yoga expressed by those Christian parents in California.
The New Black likes this.
3b (with 3c tendencies) on modified CG

Still, really?
Honeycurls and claudine19 like this.
I ain't thirsty. There's plenty of fish in the sea, but I don't want all of them, can I have some standards? Or do we just have to settle, for someone's who meh and will do.
"
Because Christian parents would undoubtedly roll their eyes if "other" parents complained about a Christmas/Easter/etc-related activity.
Originally Posted by Like.Australia
Wrong. And wrong.

I am a Christian parent and I would not roll my eyes at nonChristian parents objecting to Christianity being pushed on their kids in public school.
Originally Posted by spiderlashes5000
No, her statement that there are Christian parents who would roll their eyes if "other" parents complained about a Christmas, etc. related activity is most certainly NOT wrong. I have seen it happen. So. Often. You just mention obliquely that other holidays exist and OMG WTF YOU ARE A TERRIBLE PERSON. Just because YOU would not do that, which is good, does not mean that others would not. You are not every Christian. Don't be like the white male who always has to stand up and be all "But IIIIII'M not racist!!!1!!11!!!"
Like.Australia likes this.
OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie.
I finally found a pair of Athleta pants that make my butt look good. Revelation. I also bought a pair of Lululemon Astro (my first time venturing away from the relaxed fits). Commence hating.

Do you guys do yoga in a studio or gym? I'm debating whether I should venture away from gym classes. The instructors are nice enough, and I have enough experience to know what I'm doing (and to know when I should do a counter pose instead of whatever the instructor has skipped to), but I wonder if I would get more out of classes that actually had someone walking around and adjusting my poses. Thing is that I pay $40 a month for my gym, for which I make it to yoga three times a week plus Zumba plus cardio/weights/pool/sauna when I get around to it. Cheapest monthly rate at nearby yoga studios is $120, and realistically if I dropped the gym completely I still wouldn't make it more than 3-4 times a week. I could get a 5 or 10 class deal for about $15 per class and combine a weekly studio class with my gym, but I'm wondering if that's overkill.

Yoga instruction is REALLY expensive, even without the magic butt pants.
Poodlehead likes this.
póg mo thóin
I do gym yoga and the instructor comes around and adjusts people at least once. If the class is huge then just once to save time
Because Christian parents would undoubtedly roll their eyes if "other" parents complained about a Christmas/Easter/etc-related activity.
Originally Posted by Like.Australia
Wrong. And wrong.

I am a Christian parent and I would not roll my eyes at nonChristian parents objecting to Christianity being pushed on their kids in public school.
Originally Posted by spiderlashes5000
No, her statement that there are Christian parents who would roll their eyes if "other" parents complained about a Christmas, etc. related activity is most certainly NOT wrong. I have seen it happen. So. Often. You just mention obliquely that other holidays exist and OMG WTF YOU ARE A TERRIBLE PERSON. Just because YOU would not do that, which is good, does not mean that others would not. You are not every Christian. Don't be like the white male who always has to stand up and be all "But IIIIII'M not racist!!!1!!11!!!"
Originally Posted by wild_sasparilla
She made a generalization and I'm just saying there would definitely be exceptions to it...myself included.

But either way, it's a strawman argumentas far as this issue goes: People should have the right to say they don't feel comfortable practicing elements of other religions and not be treated w/ hostility or incredulity or sarcasm.
The New Black likes this.
3b (with 3c tendencies) on modified CG

I don't feel right having the Christian part of this winter holiday shoved down my throat. Bring back the original pagan belief.
Like.Australia likes this.
Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
Guide22
Guest
Posts: n/a
Just a gentle reminder, the subject of the thread "Tell me your thoughts on Yoga". Please get back to the topic of discussion. Thank you.
spiderlashes5000 likes this.

Last edited by Guide22; 12-24-2012 at 12:26 PM.
There's a yoga studio near my house that will be starting an intro series in Jan.

I'm thinking of signing up my weight loss has slowed so I'm looking for somthing to kick stat me again. (I lost 60lbs and was below 200lbs for the first time in probably 20years then I've regained about 6lbs)

Traditional strength training bores me and I don't really like any classes offered by the gyms near me.

My flexability is dismal and I have a thyroid disorder that I'm told would benefit from stress reduction.

I figured yoga would hit all thoes points; flexability, strenght and stress reduction.

I have never practiced and was wondering what thoes you who have thought.
Originally Posted by cailin
I like yoga, I also like running. Its difficult to do, but in the end i feel more calm and relaxed.

Wish people would research the history of it though, it's mainstream and didn't start out as just excercises, something that americans don't know.
The New Black likes this.
View my blog: http://julafashions.blogspot.com

http://julafashions.deviantart.com

https://twitter.com/JulaFashions
I think many of us DO know the origins, it's just a matter of being able to separate that for ourselves if we choose to. Part of the argument here was that it was being forced on people in certain classes and many of us argued that there was never any pressure. I find that yoga instructors, and I've had many, often do bring the spiritual elements to their practice, but I have never felt forced or alienated from the class because I wasn't interested in that element.
I'm pretty literal, and I've often not known what they're talking about, unless it's a pose correction or a reminder to breathe.

Dogs and nature abhor a vacuum.
http://geaugadoggy.wordpress.com
I think many of us DO know the origins, it's just a matter of being able to separate that for ourselves if we choose to. Part of the argument here was that it was being forced on people in certain classes and many of us argued that there was never any pressure. I find that yoga instructors, and I've had many, often do bring the spiritual elements to their practice, but I have never felt forced or alienated from the class because I wasn't interested in that element.
Originally Posted by Like.Australia
I never said or meant to imply anyone was "forcing" me to do anything.

I don't even see how that would be possible.

And there was never any "argument."

My only point was that I went to the classes wanting physical-only content. ie., like an aerobics class, for instance. Bend your knees, drop your head, put this arm there.

But in most of the yoga classes I've taken, I have to focus too hard on trying to ignore the instructor's messages about healing lights, inviting prana inside me, that I am the source of all the power I will ever need, etc., that I distract myself or just miss out on any therapeutic quality the instructor may have intended.

If you can separate the spiritual and physical components, that's great. Then you should def continue taking the classes. Personally, I can't w/o some effort on my part, so I choose not to participate.

Why ppl are so put out by that, I really can't understand. But whatever. Like I said: do you. No one is knocking you for it.
The New Black likes this.
3b (with 3c tendencies) on modified CG

I think many of us DO know the origins, it's just a matter of being able to separate that for ourselves if we choose to. Part of the argument here was that it was being forced on people in certain classes and many of us argued that there was never any pressure. I find that yoga instructors, and I've had many, often do bring the spiritual elements to their practice, but I have never felt forced or alienated from the class because I wasn't interested in that element.
Originally Posted by Like.Australia
I never said or meant to imply anyone was "forcing" me to do anything.

I don't even see how that would be possible.

And there was never any "argument."

My only point was that I went to the classes wanting physical-only content. ie., like an aerobics class, for instance. Bend your knees, drop your head, put this arm there.

But in most of the yoga classes I've taken, I have to focus too hard on trying to ignore the instructor's messages about healing lights, inviting prana inside me, that I am the source of all the power I will ever need, .
Originally Posted by spiderlashes5000
Even here in India, I hav never heard words like that
Hair type-3A/B fine ,dense,normal porosity..
LOW POO : SM Moisture Retention,TBS Rainforest Moisture shampoo
NO POO-DevaCurl No poo
COWASH-Suave coconut,Tressemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture,Vo5 kiwi Lime
RO -DevaCurl One Condish,Shea moisture condish,Matrix Biolage CB
LI- AO GVP protein balancing condish,SM thickening Yucca growth milk,SM Shea Butter Leave in
Stylers - SM smoothie,Aveda Flaxseed Aloe Gel,Eco Styler (Protein and Olive oil),Deva Arc Angel
I *heart* 14 pages threads where definitions are used!!!

This is one for the nc history books kids!

*sigh* love......

also - my 1.5 yo and 3.5 yo nephews are rulers of the downward dog position. Just an FYI.

Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

http://public.fotki.com/curlymix/
pw: curls

Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey

Trending Topics


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com