Tell me your thoughts on yoga.

Like Tree390Likes

I was just listening to something on NPR about this book,
Hell-Bent: Obsession, Pain, and the Search for Something Like Transcendence in Competitive Yoga: Benjamin Lorr: 9780312672904: Amazon.com: Books , specifically about the narcissistic element of yoga that people don't want to talk about.

Yeah, the spiritual aspect is what is unappealing to me. I'm not Hindu (or New Age) and don't want to be subtly pushed into practicing it.
Originally Posted by spiderlashes5000
LOL is that what you think yoga does? Or does it? I never heard of that.

Yeah, the spiritual aspect is what is unappealing to me. I'm not Hindu (or New Age) and don't want to be subtly pushed into practicing it.
Originally Posted by spiderlashes5000
LOL is that what you think yoga does? Or does it? I never heard of that.
Originally Posted by Josephine
That's what it does. No LOL
3b (with 3c tendencies) on modified CG


Yeah, the spiritual aspect is what is unappealing to me. I'm not Hindu (or New Age) and don't want to be subtly pushed into practicing it.
Originally Posted by spiderlashes5000
LOL is that what you think yoga does? Or does it? I never heard of that.
Originally Posted by Josephine
That's what it does. No LOL
Originally Posted by spiderlashes5000
I never felt pushed into being Hindu or New Age by practicing yoga.
I like yoga, but I haven't attended a formal class since college. I use DVDs and video podcasts to practice. I like having floor length mirror right beside me, too, so that I can make sure my form matches the person's on screen.

Mostly, I use it to stretch out after doing some cardio, but I do want to get to a point where I practice everday.

LOL is that what you think yoga does? Or does it? I never heard of that.
Originally Posted by Josephine
That's what it does. No LOL
Originally Posted by spiderlashes5000
I never felt pushed into being Hindu or New Age by practicing yoga.
Originally Posted by LAwoman
Yoga is one of the six āstika ("orthodox") schools of Hindu philosophy.

I'm not sure how you would practice yoga w/o practicing Hinduism. From the goals of yoga to the physical poses, it's all based on spirtualism and worship.
3b (with 3c tendencies) on modified CG


Last edited by spiderlashes5000; 12-12-2012 at 12:33 PM.

LOL is that what you think yoga does? Or does it? I never heard of that.
Originally Posted by Josephine
That's what it does. No LOL
Originally Posted by spiderlashes5000
I never felt pushed into being Hindu or New Age by practicing yoga.
Originally Posted by LAwoman


It's a common fundamentalist christian belief that yoga is of the devil and yogis are trying to steal good christians away and indoctrinate them into their yoga religion.

That's what it does. No LOL
Originally Posted by spiderlashes5000
I never felt pushed into being Hindu or New Age by practicing yoga.
Originally Posted by LAwoman


It's a common fundamentalist christian belief that yoga is of the devil and yogis are trying to steal good christians away and indoctrinate them into their yoga religion.
Originally Posted by RedCatWaves
Or that we accept and respect Hinduism but just don't care to practice it.
3b (with 3c tendencies) on modified CG


That's what it does. No LOL
Originally Posted by spiderlashes5000
I never felt pushed into being Hindu or New Age by practicing yoga.
Originally Posted by LAwoman
Yoga is one of the six āstika ("orthodox") schools of Hindu philosophy.

I'm not sure how you would practice yoga w/o practicing Hinduism. From the goals of yoga to the physical poses, it's all based on spirtualism and worship.
Originally Posted by spiderlashes5000
I know it's origins are in hinduism but never heard of yoga teaching or forcing hinduism on anyone.
NetG, curlyarca, wild~hair and 1 others like this.
I wonder when my wii fit game will start pushing Hinduism?
NetG, B-wavy, wild~hair and 3 others like this.
Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.

I never felt pushed into being Hindu or New Age by practicing yoga.
Originally Posted by LAwoman
Yoga is one of the six āstika ("orthodox") schools of Hindu philosophy.

I'm not sure how you would practice yoga w/o practicing Hinduism. From the goals of yoga to the physical poses, it's all based on spirtualism and worship.
Originally Posted by spiderlashes5000
I know it's origins are in hinduism but never heard of yoga teaching or forcing hinduism on anyone.
Originally Posted by Josephine

If the instructor is telling me to salute the sun, to worship the eternal presence of Vishnu, to release the flow of my life force and to immerse myself as one with the spirit, it has crossed the line IMO from a physical activity to spiritual practice.
3b (with 3c tendencies) on modified CG


Yoga is one of the six āstika ("orthodox") schools of Hindu philosophy.

I'm not sure how you would practice yoga w/o practicing Hinduism. From the goals of yoga to the physical poses, it's all based on spirtualism and worship.
Originally Posted by spiderlashes5000
I know it's origins are in hinduism but never heard of yoga teaching or forcing hinduism on anyone.
Originally Posted by Josephine

If the instructor is telling me to salute the sun, to worship the eternal presence of Vishnu, to release the flow of my life force and to immerse myself as one with the spirit, it has crossed the line IMO from a physical activity to spiritual practice.
Originally Posted by spiderlashes5000
Where, pray tell, are you hearing this messaging?

Because I've taken many, many classes and done dozens of yoga videos and I've NEVER heard phrases of this nature uttered --- ever.
scrills, missbanjo and kayb like this.

I know it's origins are in hinduism but never heard of yoga teaching or forcing hinduism on anyone.
Originally Posted by Josephine

If the instructor is telling me to salute the sun, to worship the eternal presence of Vishnu, to release the flow of my life force and to immerse myself as one with the spirit, it has crossed the line IMO from a physical activity to spiritual practice.
Originally Posted by spiderlashes5000
Where, pray tell, are you hearing this messaging?

Because I've taken many, many classes and done dozens of yoga videos and I've NEVER heard phrases of this nature uttered --- ever.
Originally Posted by LAwoman
Salute the sun/sun god and release the flow of lfe force are statements made in every yoga class i've ever taken.

A while ago on NC, we were discusing this and a boardie who teaches yoga admitted she says this stuff but just puts it in for effect bc she thought people liked it.

And I was like, WE DON'T!
3b (with 3c tendencies) on modified CG

Yeah, the spiritual aspect is what is unappealing to me. I'm not Hindu (or New Age) and don't want to be subtly pushed into practicing it.
Originally Posted by spiderlashes5000
Isn't Christianity and the variations upon it the only religion which really tries to push people into practicing it all the time? Yes, I count Mormonism as an offshoot as well. At least in this country I've never heard of having religion pushed by any other religious base.

Well, unless you count scientology as a religion, and I can't keep a straight face and do that.

I was just listening to something on NPR about this book,
Hell-Bent: Obsession, Pain, and the Search for Something Like Transcendence in Competitive Yoga: Benjamin Lorr: 9780312672904: Amazon.com: Books , specifically about the narcissistic element of yoga that people don't want to talk about.
Originally Posted by CGNYC
The description of that book sounds very... repulsive, to put it nicely. I think the extreme of just about anything can be pretty repulsive to those who aren't involved in it, but ick. I can see narcissistic element from that - but in general I don't get where there's competitiveness from yoga. Can you explain a little since I haven't read the book, what you mean by the narcissistic element, or if it just has to do with competitions?

I could see the way I use yoga - focusing internally, on myself, evenness, straightness, etc., as being called a narcissistic element, I'm just guessing that is NOT what you meant.

]

Yoga is one of the six āstika ("orthodox") schools of Hindu philosophy.

I'm not sure how you would practice yoga w/o practicing Hinduism. From the goals of yoga to the physical poses, it's all based on spirtualism and worship.
Originally Posted by spiderlashes5000
About like I am not practicing Christianity each time I kneel on the floor, since usually it means I'm picking something up or playing with my dog.

Or, heck, if I pray to G-d, I'm not praying to Jesus even if a Christian calls him their lord and savior. Just because of what one group calls something doesn't mean you can't do something with the same name and NOT be practicing that religion.

Then again, Christianity also has that same trouble with synonyms when it comes to marriage...

If the instructor is telling me to salute the sun, to worship the eternal presence of Vishnu, to release the flow of my life force and to immerse myself as one with the spirit, it has crossed the line IMO from a physical activity to spiritual practice.
Originally Posted by spiderlashes5000
Have you ever taken a yoga class? Because... I'm not so sure that has ever happened in a real yoga class.
The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
-Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
Yeah, the spiritual aspect is what is unappealing to me. I'm not Hindu (or New Age) and don't want to be subtly pushed into practicing it.
Originally Posted by spiderlashes5000
Isn't Christianity and the variations upon it the only religion which really tries to push people into practicing it all the time? Yes, I count Mormonism as an offshoot as well. At least in this country I've never heard of having religion pushed by any other religious base.

Well, unless you count scientology as a religion, and I can't keep a straight face and do that.

I was just listening to something on NPR about this book,
Hell-Bent: Obsession, Pain, and the Search for Something Like Transcendence in Competitive Yoga: Benjamin Lorr: 9780312672904: Amazon.com: Books , specifically about the narcissistic element of yoga that people don't want to talk about.
Originally Posted by CGNYC
The description of that book sounds very... repulsive, to put it nicely. I think the extreme of just about anything can be pretty repulsive to those who aren't involved in it, but ick. I can see narcissistic element from that - but in general I don't get where there's competitiveness from yoga. Can you explain a little since I haven't read the book, what you mean by the narcissistic element, or if it just has to do with competitions?

I could see the way I use yoga - focusing internally, on myself, evenness, straightness, etc., as being called a narcissistic element, I'm just guessing that is NOT what you meant.

]

Yoga is one of the six āstika ("orthodox") schools of Hindu philosophy.

I'm not sure how you would practice yoga w/o practicing Hinduism. From the goals of yoga to the physical poses, it's all based on spirtualism and worship.
Originally Posted by spiderlashes5000
About like I am not practicing Christianity each time I kneel on the floor, since usually it means I'm picking something up or playing with my dog.

Or, heck, if I pray to G-d, I'm not praying to Jesus even if a Christian calls him their lord and savior. Just because of what one group calls something doesn't mean you can't do something with the same name and NOT be practicing that religion.

Then again, Christianity also has that same trouble with synonyms when it comes to marriage...

If the instructor is telling me to salute the sun, to worship the eternal presence of Vishnu, to release the flow of my life force and to immerse myself as one with the spirit, it has crossed the line IMO from a physical activity to spiritual practice.
Originally Posted by spiderlashes5000
Have you ever taken a yoga class? Because... I'm not so sure that has ever happened in a real yoga class.
Originally Posted by NetG
When did you become so rude and condescending? (I'm sensing a blockage of your chi!)

And why are you taking my opinion so personally? Are you feeling some personal guilt about practicing it?
The New Black likes this.
3b (with 3c tendencies) on modified CG


Last edited by spiderlashes5000; 12-12-2012 at 01:45 PM.
I don't think I'm the one reflecting myself back into her opinion.


I asked a legitimate question, though. Have you ever been to a class? Because if anything like you said happened in a class - yeah, I'd never return there, and don't blame you for that. It's not at all what a yoga class should be like. If you haven't ever been to yoga, well, believe those of us who have, you don't have the correct opinion of what it's like.

There's nothing wrong with not liking yoga, and I can understand why the folks who don't like it don't who have posted in this thread. But trying to claim it's some sneak attack at making people practice Hindu is just misinformed and false in general - though it's totally possible there are some weirdos out there who do just that.
scrills, wild~hair and murrrcat like this.
The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
-Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
there are christian yoga things, I've seen them before. just so ya know.
NetG and emthefantastical like this.
I don't think I'm the one reflecting myself back into her opinion.


I asked a legitimate question, though. Have you ever been to a class? Because if anything like you said happened in a class - yeah, I'd never return there, and don't blame you for that. It's not at all what a yoga class should be like. If you haven't ever been to yoga, well, believe those of us who have, you don't have the correct opinion of what it's like.

There's nothing wrong with not liking yoga, and I can understand why the folks who don't like it don't who have posted in this thread. But trying to claim it's some sneak attack at making people practice Hindu is just misinformed and false in general - though it's totally possible there are some weirdos out there who do just that.
Originally Posted by NetG
It's not a legitimate question as I've already said I've taken yoga classes.

I never said it was a "sneak attack." I said it is the practice of a form of spiritualism I don't want to participate in.

There is nothing false about saying yoga is a branch of hinduism and incorporates hindu spiritualism into the practice.

You're not a yoga authority (as far as I know) and not the arbiter of what does and does not take place in a yoga class or what should or should not.

Honestly, it sounds to be like you are experiencing some religious dissonance and it's making you uncomfortable.

(Maybe some TM will help you work through it?)
3b (with 3c tendencies) on modified CG


Last edited by spiderlashes5000; 12-12-2012 at 02:06 PM.
there are christian yoga things, I've seen them before. just so ya know.
Originally Posted by murrrcat
Yeah, I know; I've heard. And I guess some people love it. I'm still iffy on that. But hey, if it works for you!
3b (with 3c tendencies) on modified CG

What on earth is TM?


And, no, I'm NOT the one who feels threatened and as if I'm in some way "not good enough" for my religion or whatever. You, however, do feel highly threatened. Perhaps you should inspect your own beliefs, your life, and decide for yourself (no need to report back here) what you need to do to feel less threatened.
The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
-Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!

Trending Topics


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com