Would you date...? Would you marry...?

Like Tree74Likes

OBB, I took it as you could do porn, but you would have to be here legally.
Originally Posted by Lotsawaves
A lot of porn stars are illegal, since it is an exploitative industry.
Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali











OBB, sorry but you can't be both. I have my scruples. : )
Lotsawaves likes this.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
Never say never, but I don't think so - it's just asking for trouble. If madly, deeply in love, who knows, though?
2C/3A/3B - modified CG - med./fine, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, YTCarrots or Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite, KCCC, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett


Well of course, that doesn't make sense. No one wants to stay here illegaly? You're at risk. Why would anyone not want to??
Originally Posted by Josephine
Not that they don't want to get a green card...but they will never be permitted to get one.
Originally Posted by spiderlashes5000
I am not that familiar with the laws but in the U.S. why would one not be able to after marriage unless they are a criminal and not allowed to stay? In that case, no it would be very hard. You are always worrying about deportation on some level and hiding. I guess you'd have to be mad crazy in love and be willing to move out of country if the love was that strong. I never say never..(looking at my situation now lol).
Originally Posted by Josephine
I guess it's at the discretion of the INS, but if you once had a legal visa, you have a much better chance of being given amnesty. But if you just came over w/o ever any documentation, you have less of a chance. And if you came here illegally before, were caught and deported and then came back illegally again, you have basically no chance.
3b (with 3c tendencies) on modified CG

OBB, sorry but you can't be both. I have my scruples. : )
Originally Posted by jeepcurlygurl

Josephine likes this.

Last edited by OBB; 12-28-2012 at 05:22 AM.
I did, we were madly in love. He had already been married to an American and had not applied for a green card, because he wasn't really interested. That should have warned me because we divorced after 15 years because he felt he needed to be home and I didn't want to go. By then though even though we still loved each other we realized we weren't getting along that well, there was nothing in common and love is not enough. I knew going over there would result in divorce anyway, so why go someplace I didn't want to go with a man I spent more time fighting with anymore than loving.

He did get a green card and citizenship during our marriage.

Not that they don't want to get a green card...but they will never be permitted to get one.
Originally Posted by spiderlashes5000
I am not that familiar with the laws but in the U.S. why would one not be able to after marriage unless they are a criminal and not allowed to stay? In that case, no it would be very hard. You are always worrying about deportation on some level and hiding. I guess you'd have to be mad crazy in love and be willing to move out of country if the love was that strong. I never say never..(looking at my situation now lol).
Originally Posted by Josephine
I guess it's at the discretion of the INS, but if you once had a legal visa, you have a much better chance of being given amnesty. But if you just came over w/o ever any documentation, you have less of a chance. And if you came here illegally before, were caught and deported and then came back illegally again, you have basically no chance.
Originally Posted by spiderlashes5000
It might be different now, but my sister-in-law's entire family was here illegally. She's from Mexico and her dad came first. Once there was enough money, they were transported over the border in trunks of cars. Three of them got caught an sent back, then they were transported over again and made it. The story is awful to hear. I believe at least 1 if not 2 of her siblings almost suffocated in the trunk.

My brother married my sister-in-law when she was illegal and to get her legal they had some pretty hefty fines or legal fees. Something to the tune of $3500. She worked off fake SSN's until she got married, which was at 25. Her entire family is legal now and all her siblings are citizens. Her mother died in a car accident after they had been married for like 5 years and her father doesn't speak enough English to apply for the citizenship test.

I don't know if their story is rare or not, but I guess they demonstrate that if you do get caught and sent back and come over illegally again, it's still possible to get either a green card or citizenship.

For me? That would be an extremely hard decision. Obviously we've experienced it as a family, so I doubt it would be much of an issue there. I really cannot afford to pay those kinds of fines and if he is unable to work until he gets his green card, then it's a hosed situation.

If I decided it was something I could handle, then to me it wouldn't matter whether or not they came in completely illegally or was legal once and the Visa expired. As long as they're a hard worker and willing to work. I'm not going to support somebody for the rest of my life. The previous 2 sentences would really apply to anybody I married, though, doesn't have anything to do with the fact they might be here illegally.
2B...ish
http://public.fotki.com/SunshineGrrl/ pw: drama
Products
This area is under construction as my hair type changed and nothing works well for me. I shampoo, I condition and pretty much have done nothing but chuck my hair in a messy bun for the past oh...year? Yeah, I'm that lazy.

No...going no-poo or CG does not work for me. It leaves me overconditioned and oily in a second no matter what I use, so that's not what's not working.
Living in Canada, I would work through it for the right person. Living in the US though, the system is too messed up to go through that.
maria_i likes this.
I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
Audrey Hepburn

I am not that familiar with the laws but in the U.S. why would one not be able to after marriage unless they are a criminal and not allowed to stay? In that case, no it would be very hard. You are always worrying about deportation on some level and hiding. I guess you'd have to be mad crazy in love and be willing to move out of country if the love was that strong. I never say never..(looking at my situation now lol).
Originally Posted by Josephine
I guess it's at the discretion of the INS, but if you once had a legal visa, you have a much better chance of being given amnesty. But if you just came over w/o ever any documentation, you have less of a chance. And if you came here illegally before, were caught and deported and then came back illegally again, you have basically no chance.
Originally Posted by spiderlashes5000
It might be different now, but my sister-in-law's entire family was here illegally. She's from Mexico and her dad came first. Once there was enough money, they were transported over the border in trunks of cars. Three of them got caught an sent back, then they were transported over again and made it. The story is awful to hear. I believe at least 1 if not 2 of her siblings almost suffocated in the trunk.

My brother married my sister-in-law when she was illegal and to get her legal they had some pretty hefty fines or legal fees. Something to the tune of $3500. She worked off fake SSN's until she got married, which was at 25. Her entire family is legal now and all her siblings are citizens. Her mother died in a car accident after they had been married for like 5 years and her father doesn't speak enough English to apply for the citizenship test.

I don't know if their story is rare or not, but I guess they demonstrate that if you do get caught and sent back and come over illegally again, it's still possible to get either a green card or citizenship.

For me? That would be an extremely hard decision. Obviously we've experienced it as a family, so I doubt it would be much of an issue there. I really cannot afford to pay those kinds of fines and if he is unable to work until he gets his green card, then it's a hosed situation.

If I decided it was something I could handle, then to me it wouldn't matter whether or not they came in completely illegally or was legal once and the Visa expired. As long as they're a hard worker and willing to work. I'm not going to support somebody for the rest of my life. The previous 2 sentences would really apply to anybody I married, though, doesn't have anything to do with the fact they might be here illegally.
Originally Posted by SunshineGrrl
I know of one case where a girl was deported but came back. It didn't take as long expected, less than a couple years or even within one year. 3500 is not bad actually.
Living in Canada, I would work through it for the right person. Living in the US though, the system is too messed up to go through that.
Originally Posted by CurlyCanadian
Is the process a lot easier in Canada? Maybe I should be looking for a Canadian husband. All the US ones have gone down the chute...why not? I could handle living up there. Except maybe the Northern Territories.
2B...ish
http://public.fotki.com/SunshineGrrl/ pw: drama
Products
This area is under construction as my hair type changed and nothing works well for me. I shampoo, I condition and pretty much have done nothing but chuck my hair in a messy bun for the past oh...year? Yeah, I'm that lazy.

No...going no-poo or CG does not work for me. It leaves me overconditioned and oily in a second no matter what I use, so that's not what's not working.

I guess it's at the discretion of the INS, but if you once had a legal visa, you have a much better chance of being given amnesty. But if you just came over w/o ever any documentation, you have less of a chance. And if you came here illegally before, were caught and deported and then came back illegally again, you have basically no chance.
Originally Posted by spiderlashes5000
It might be different now, but my sister-in-law's entire family was here illegally. She's from Mexico and her dad came first. Once there was enough money, they were transported over the border in trunks of cars. Three of them got caught an sent back, then they were transported over again and made it. The story is awful to hear. I believe at least 1 if not 2 of her siblings almost suffocated in the trunk.

My brother married my sister-in-law when she was illegal and to get her legal they had some pretty hefty fines or legal fees. Something to the tune of $3500. She worked off fake SSN's until she got married, which was at 25. Her entire family is legal now and all her siblings are citizens. Her mother died in a car accident after they had been married for like 5 years and her father doesn't speak enough English to apply for the citizenship test.

I don't know if their story is rare or not, but I guess they demonstrate that if you do get caught and sent back and come over illegally again, it's still possible to get either a green card or citizenship.

For me? That would be an extremely hard decision. Obviously we've experienced it as a family, so I doubt it would be much of an issue there. I really cannot afford to pay those kinds of fines and if he is unable to work until he gets his green card, then it's a hosed situation.

If I decided it was something I could handle, then to me it wouldn't matter whether or not they came in completely illegally or was legal once and the Visa expired. As long as they're a hard worker and willing to work. I'm not going to support somebody for the rest of my life. The previous 2 sentences would really apply to anybody I married, though, doesn't have anything to do with the fact they might be here illegally.
Originally Posted by SunshineGrrl
I know of one case where a girl was deported but came back. It didn't take as long expected, less than a couple years or even within one year. 3500 is not bad actually.
Originally Posted by Josephine
Nowadays it's not so bad because we've become more successful as we've aged. We're so lucky to have that be the situation, but back in 1998 it was a huge amount for any of us (meaning my family).
2B...ish
http://public.fotki.com/SunshineGrrl/ pw: drama
Products
This area is under construction as my hair type changed and nothing works well for me. I shampoo, I condition and pretty much have done nothing but chuck my hair in a messy bun for the past oh...year? Yeah, I'm that lazy.

No...going no-poo or CG does not work for me. It leaves me overconditioned and oily in a second no matter what I use, so that's not what's not working.
Speckla
Guest
Posts: n/a
Living in Canada, I would work through it for the right person. Living in the US though, the system is too messed up to go through that.
Originally Posted by CurlyCanadian
Is the process a lot easier in Canada? Maybe I should be looking for a Canadian husband. All the US ones have gone down the chute...why not? I could handle living up there. Except maybe the Northern Territories.
Originally Posted by SunshineGrrl
I don't know that it's easier, but definitely faster. I know a few couples (one married an American, the other a Jamaican) and things seemed to come together rather easily.

We have very good friends in the States that have just been going through a nightmare of a time trying to get the husband legalized (not sure if that's the right term!)

This is all just from an outsider looking in though, so actually doing it may be another issue!
I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
Audrey Hepburn
Living in Canada, I would work through it for the right person. Living in the US though, the system is too messed up to go through that.
Originally Posted by CurlyCanadian
Is the process a lot easier in Canada? Maybe I should be looking for a Canadian husband. All the US ones have gone down the chute...why not? I could handle living up there. Except maybe the Northern Territories.
Originally Posted by SunshineGrrl
I don't know that it's easier, but definitely faster. I know a few couples (one married an American, the other a Jamaican) and things seemed to come together rather easily.

We have very good friends in the States that have just been going through a nightmare of a time trying to get the husband legalized (not sure if that's the right term!)

This is all just from an outsider looking in though, so actually doing it may be another issue!
Originally Posted by CurlyCanadian
No, I believe it. Especially now. When my sister-in-law applied it was before 9-11 and all the upheaval we have with the patriot act, shootings, etc.
2B...ish
http://public.fotki.com/SunshineGrrl/ pw: drama
Products
This area is under construction as my hair type changed and nothing works well for me. I shampoo, I condition and pretty much have done nothing but chuck my hair in a messy bun for the past oh...year? Yeah, I'm that lazy.

No...going no-poo or CG does not work for me. It leaves me overconditioned and oily in a second no matter what I use, so that's not what's not working.
To your original question, absolutely yes I would if I loved the person and who they were and was certain they weren't using me for citizenship. People are illegal for many reasons. Some, like springcurl's son in law, are brought by their parents and have little control. Others are fleeing for their lives or fleeing extreme poverty. If someone could come from those circumstances and become a person I'd be interested in with the appropriate attributes/credentials etc. they would be a remarkable and interesting person. Some of my ancestors were illegal immigrants - I don't like how immigration is restricted and illegals are stigmatized today when we look at the facts of how the new world was built.

If they would never get citizenship, I am not sure I would marry them, because this would leave our family life at constant threat of disruption if they could be deported or denied certain rights. I would not want to have children in such circumstances and I would not get married without knowing children were an option.
Originally Posted by Amneris
I totally agree with all of this!
curlyarca likes this.
naturally 3b/3c

Explanation by the tongue makes most things clear, but love unexplained is clearer. ~ Rumi
My last boyfriend was from Mexico. He asked me to marry him and I even went to an attorney to see about making him legal. It would have cost me over $5000 to get him here legally. I wanted him to come illegally and that we work out his legality after he got here.

We didn't marry. I realized that I was making a terrible mistake.

I had illegal family members here. They all paid taxes and worked hard. They have all been legalized over the years.

I'm still trying to figure out how anyone can say absolutely no so easily. And the reasons I'm coming up with don't sit well with me. Then again, I am very sensitive to the subject.

Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

http://public.fotki.com/curlymix/
pw: curls

Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey
The laws have changed over the past several years so marriage isn't always a guarantee of a green card. In some situations, you and your spouse would actually have to go to his country for a while before he could apply for a green card. I have a friend who had planned to marry her boyfriend, and the lawyer said not to because in his situation marriage would hurt him and he had a good chance of getting deported.

I'd be more inclined to do it to help someone out (not that I really would, because I'd be terrified of getting caught) rather than out of love, because I have trust issues, and I know way too many people who've been burned that way.
Eres o te haces?
My last boyfriend was from Mexico. He asked me to marry him and I even went to an attorney to see about making him legal. It would have cost me over $5000 to get him here legally. I wanted him to come illegally and that we work out his legality after he got here.

We didn't marry. I realized that I was making a terrible mistake.

I had illegal family members here. They all paid taxes and worked hard. They have all been legalized over the years.

I'm still trying to figure out how anyone can say absolutely no so easily. And the reasons I'm coming up with don't sit well with me. Then again, I am very sensitive to the subject.
Originally Posted by Curlyminx
I thought I was the only one who kind of winced once or twice reading this thread.

Trending Topics


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com