Today I learned how to scramble eggs.

Like Tree55Likes

Thank you, Alton Brown.

I'm also unlearning a lot. If you don't overcook food, guess what? You may not need salt. Imagine that. These are shockingly simple but hard truths to face.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
Thank you, Alton Brown.

I'm also unlearning a lot. If you don't overcook food, guess what? You may not need salt. Imagine that. These are shockingly simple but hard truths to face.
Originally Posted by curlyarca


The hell you say!
curlyarca likes this.
OK, I admit it.....I'm an alias! I wasn't born with the name Honeycurls!
Dood, get over it; there's no time limit on lurking.

I so busy runnin' allllllll over the place and ain't nobody chasin' me!
I use far less salt than any of the tv chefs do. My mom has high blood pressure and needs to get away from all the processed foods, so my food doesn't have as strong a taste as I'd like. I use a lot of herbs and spices to help, though.

I'd never heard this if you don't overcook idea - have an explanation you care to share? I don't overcook in general anyway, but am curious since he always goes into the science behind things.
The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
-Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
His method for cooking scrambled eggs is actually right. There's another tv chef whose method includes beating the hell out of the eggs and then continually stirring while cooking.
Quote:
When are women going to face the fact that they donít know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
Bonsai Culturist


(wondering where Saria is... hee hee)
Po, Zinnia, Rubber Biscuit and 4 others like this.
< member since 2006. No idea where 1969 came from.
His method for cooking scrambled eggs is actually right. There's another tv chef whose method includes beating the hell out of the eggs and then continually stirring while cooking.
Originally Posted by mrspoppers
I haven't seen his method~I'm curious about it. I just break the eggs into a bowl or even right into the pan without beating them first. Then I just gently break them and blend them together as they cook. I'm sure no one else does it this way, but it works for me.
OK, I admit it.....I'm an alias! I wasn't born with the name Honeycurls!
Dood, get over it; there's no time limit on lurking.

I so busy runnin' allllllll over the place and ain't nobody chasin' me!
We love to use Tony Chachere's Hot Salt Seasoning.
Originally Posted by virgo
You make it so easy.


Well, I did put some Tony Chachere's on it. Hubby loves that stuff. I had no complaints
Originally Posted by WileE-Dead
Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
Score!

RCC: 1

Wile: 0
His method for cooking scrambled eggs is actually right. There's another tv chef whose method includes beating the hell out of the eggs and then continually stirring while cooking.
Originally Posted by mrspoppers
I haven't seen his method~I'm curious about it. I just break the eggs into a bowl or even right into the pan without beating them first. Then I just gently break them and blend them together as they cook. I'm sure no one else does it this way, but it works for me.
Originally Posted by Honeycurls
I do the right into the pan thing with a hot pan. I like a very wet scramble, so it's pretty quick.
Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
Hmm. I do eggs, splash of milk, pinch of salt, pepper, and whisk. I melt the butter, put in the eggs, and turn the heat down soon after they start forming. Then I scoot them around until done.

*and i never break into a pan. i always break into a separate dish, in case the egg is bad.

And according to my oldest nephews I make the bestest eggs in the whole world. I've held that title 19 years now.
murrrcat likes this.
When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??


Last edited by Fifi.G; 02-15-2013 at 06:01 PM.
I think we are actually at:

RCC: 2

Wile: 0
B-wavy, ruralcurls and kayb like this.

Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

http://public.fotki.com/curlymix/
pw: curls

Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey
But only one who also pushes steak and BJ day.
Curlyminx likes this.
Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
I really hope someone can find a reason to define something. *fingerscrossed*

Then this thread becomes a WINNER!
CurlyEyes likes this.

Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

http://public.fotki.com/curlymix/
pw: curls

Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey
Complete sentences....no smilies.....it's gotta be rough, eh?
True story. Years ago after I saw that episode of AB making eggs, I was bored one morning so I made them exactly as he demonstrated. My son ate them for breakfast. About an hour after breakfast he suddenly said, "Those were the best scrambled eggs I've ever had. What was different?"

And they were really, soft and creamy, just perfect. I highly recommend it too! Although if I recall correctly the salt before lightly whisking was important for some scientific reason.
curlyarca likes this.

I was born to be a pessimist. My blood type is B Negative.
True story. Years ago after I saw that episode of AB making eggs, I was bored one morning so I made them exactly as he demonstrated. My son ate them for breakfast. About an hour after breakfast he suddenly said, "Those were the best scrambled eggs I've ever had. What was different?"

And they were really, soft and creamy, just perfect. I highly recommend it too! Although if I recall correctly the salt before lightly whisking was important for some scientific reason.
Originally Posted by roseannadana
That's interesting because I'd heard many years ago that you should never salt eggs until after they're cooked because it makes them rubbery. I'll have to check out this method, though I love my salt. Not trying to cut back.
curlyarca likes this.
OK, I admit it.....I'm an alias! I wasn't born with the name Honeycurls!
Dood, get over it; there's no time limit on lurking.

I so busy runnin' allllllll over the place and ain't nobody chasin' me!
Ill have to try that for my babysit boys. My DD loves my scrambled eggs but they aren't fluffy enough for the babies.
High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

This thread has made me think of my grandmother. She would carefully inspect each egg, and remove some of the thicker white areas before cooking them. She said they would get hard and mess up her perfect pies when baking. She decided to keep it simple and teach everyone to pick the stuff out, every time.

If you didn't do that in her kitchen, you were in T-rouble.
Zinnia likes this.
When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

So what IS Alton's method for scrambled eggs? I whisk them in a bowl with milk then pour, and I tend to use grapeseed oil instead of butter. I'm so NOT a Southerner...


I really hope someone can find a reason to define something. *fingerscrossed*

Then this thread becomes a WINNER!
Originally Posted by Curlyminx

win∑ner

[win-er]
noun 1. a person or thing that wins; victor.


Idioms 2. winner take all, a situation or outcome whereby the winner receives all the prizes or rewards.


Origin:
1325Ė75; Middle English; see win, -er1

Related forms non∑win∑ner, noun
The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
-Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!

Trending Topics


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com