Go Back   CurlTalk > Life > Non-hair discussion

Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By Nallia
  • 5 Post By spiderlashes5000
  • 1 Post By legends
  • 1 Post By CurlyCanadian
  • 1 Post By multicultcurly
  • 1 Post By legends

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
 
Nallia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,523
Default Hair talk

I'm posting this here because I know some of you aren't strict CG anymore.

I decided to get my hair blown out when I saw my stylist this weekend because I've been getting bored with my hair and I was curious to see how long it's gotten (I started growing it out around Christmas). I really didn't expect to like it so much, but I love it!

I want to start blowing my hair straight again, but I don't want to destroy the curls. I don't even know if it's possible to do one without doing the other, but I've spent the last four years growing out the damage and I don't want to make my hair look like straw again. I love my curls and want to be able to wear it either way.

Thoughts? Advice? Product help? If I want to keep it healthy do I need to just not mess with it and accept that I have to have it curly all the time?

Curly:


Straight:
KurlyKae and Curlyminx like this.
__________________
"...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

Nallia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
 
spiderlashes5000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 19,335
Default

Maybe a roller set or Dominican style blow out. Not too often. Use cones.

It's pretty straight but I really love it curly! << I know you didn't ask but i couldn't hep it.
__________________
3b (with 3c tendencies) on modified CG

spiderlashes5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
 
legends's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 4,092
Default

How long does a blow out typically last for you? One of the reasons that I rarely straighten my hair is that I have an oily scalp (oily scalp + dry 3b hair = WTF), so I can maybe get 2 days out of a blow out if I'm lucky. I know several woman who wear their hair straight all the time and just have to blow out once a week, and while their curls are a bit damaged it's not like fried ends or anything.

I don't think it's possible to straighten regularly for a long period of time without at least some damage.
murrrcat likes this.
__________________
Eres o te haces?
legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
 
Nallia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,523
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderlashes5000 View Post
Maybe a roller set or Dominican style blow out. Not too often. Use cones.

It's pretty straight but I really love it curly! << I know you didn't ask but i couldn't hep it.
Thanks. I love it curly too, but sometimes I get bored with it looking the same all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by legends View Post
How long does a blow out typically last for you? One of the reasons that I rarely straighten my hair is that I have an oily scalp (oily scalp + dry 3b hair = WTF), so I can maybe get 2 days out of a blow out if I'm lucky. I know several woman who wear their hair straight all the time and just have to blow out once a week, and while their curls are a bit damaged it's not like fried ends or anything.

I don't think it's possible to straighten regularly for a long period of time without at least some damage.
I don't think so either, which is why I would only do it maybe once or twice a month.

When I used to blow it out all the time, my hair would stay looking fine for up to a week. But I can only go that long without washing every so often. I have a very dry scalp, but I usually have to wash it and condition it at least twice a week to keep from getting scaly patches and itchy, painful sores.

I don't plan to straighten it that often, but it's been so long I don't even know what to use anymore as a protectant. I don't even know what's available now. lol

I also have a separate but related question--I live in a very dry climate and my current styling products are humectants. I'm going to FL at the end of April. We go once or twice a year to see family, and I always have issues with my hair because I don't know what products to use in humidity anymore. I'm currently using KCKT, KCCC, and BRHG for styling, but they don't hold my hair in humidity.
__________________
"...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

Nallia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #5
 
legends's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 4,092
Default

Oh if you only want to straighten once a month you should be fine. I second spider's suggestion of a roller set or Dominican style blow out to minimize damage.

I long ago resigned myself to non-stop bad hair days in Florida, but last year I found Shea Moisture's Curling Souffle gel and it gives me the best hair I've ever managed in the godforsaken climate. You have to play around with the amount--too little and it does nothing, too much and you have ramen noodle hair.
__________________
Eres o te haces?
legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
 
Nallia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,523
Default

Ooh, I've never heard of that one. Thank you! I will definitely check it out.
__________________
"...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

Nallia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #7
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 68
Default

I straighten my hair about once a month and it hasn't caused me any problems that I can tell. I use CHI silk infusium...loaded wth cones but protects your strands from heat damage...to blow dry. and If I flat iron it afterward, I will spray on some Tresseme heat protectant. When I wash my hair to wear it curly again, I use a sulfate shampoo to get the cones out and then will only use CG friendly products until the next time I want it straight again.
For your second question:
Last summer when it was hot out, I mostly used Devacurl products and they worked great. This summer Im going to try FSG with different combinations of ingredients to see what will work best. Glycerin, honey, Alove vera gel...all good humuctants to try.
lifescout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:06 PM   #8
 
CurlyCanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 12,989
Default

I straighten 1-2 times a week and it hasn't affected my curls. I sometimes think they seem to get better bounce if I wear it straight for a few weeks.

I'm religious about coconut oil once a week or so and always put jojoba in whether curly or straight (after its straightened).
Nallia likes this.
__________________
I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
Audrey Hepburn
CurlyCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #9
 
Nallia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,523
Default

Glycerin strips the color from my hair. Aloe Vera is great in CO (it's in my KCCC) but not in FL where it's really humid. Humectants are great in CO, where it's dry and I need moisture pulled into my hair, but they don't work for me in humidity.

Deva products don't hold my hair, even in no humidity, at all. They just aren't strong enough. They also tend to dry out my hair. FSG doesn't have enough hold either.

I'm looking for recs for very strong hold, anti-humectant products for high humidity.
__________________
"...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

Nallia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #10
 
spiderlashes5000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 19,335
Default

Cones & Aveda Anti-Humectant Pomade?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using CurlTalk App
__________________
3b (with 3c tendencies) on modified CG

spiderlashes5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #11
 
multicultcurly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,903
Default

Legends - I thought I was the only one with dry hair and an oily scalp. My hair loves humidity but I tend not to have to leave conditioner in as a styling product but use lots of gel instead and my hair will hold it's curl. I do the opposite in the dry climate I currently live in. I have coarse hair, but my sister has normal hair and my cousin has babyfine hair and they both love the Shea moisture products. They both live near the gulf of Mexico where the humidity is above 50% most of the year, usually much higher and their hair is relatively frizz free.
Nallia likes this.
__________________
3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
multicultcurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #12
 
Josephine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 16,555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by multicultcurly View Post
Legends - I thought I was the only one with dry hair and an oily scalp. My hair loves humidity but I tend not to have to leave conditioner in as a styling product but use lots of gel instead and my hair will hold it's curl. I do the opposite in the dry climate I currently live in. I have coarse hair, but my sister has normal hair and my cousin has babyfine hair and they both love the Shea moisture products. They both live near the gulf of Mexico where the humidity is above 50% most of the year, usually much higher and their hair is relatively frizz free.
Nope I also have dry hair and oily yucky scalp. I feel and look best with hair washed every day. I can't always get the Shea products in store but they make my hair look great. I have to use it as a sealer before putting in my mousse. No way it's enough hold on it's own.

Deva gels were also weird on me. Crunchy but no hold or moisturizing enough. It would be crunchy on the outside and but then too full and expanded. I want to try that new Ouidad creme gel(I think that's what it is). My hair is pretty fine.

I haven't found a product yet that works well in FL or the rain. My hair looks the best in Vegas. It's unbelievable, I can sleep and party in it and it looks exactly the same the next day.
Josephine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:25 PM   #13
 
legends's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 4,092
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephine View Post

Nope I also have dry hair and oily yucky scalp. I feel and look best with hair washed every day. I can't always get the Shea products in store but they make my hair look great. I have to use it as a sealer before putting in my mousse. No way it's enough hold on it's own.

Deva gels were also weird on me. Crunchy but no hold or moisturizing enough. It would be crunchy on the outside and but then too full and expanded. I want to try that new Ouidad creme gel(I think that's what it is). My hair is pretty fine.

I haven't found a product yet that works well in FL or the rain. My hair looks the best in Vegas. It's unbelievable, I can sleep and party in it and it looks exactly the same the next day.
Deserts are the best.
Josephine likes this.
__________________
Eres o te haces?
legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #14
 
Josephine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 16,555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by legends View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephine View Post

Nope I also have dry hair and oily yucky scalp. I feel and look best with hair washed every day. I can't always get the Shea products in store but they make my hair look great. I have to use it as a sealer before putting in my mousse. No way it's enough hold on it's own.

Deva gels were also weird on me. Crunchy but no hold or moisturizing enough. It would be crunchy on the outside and but then too full and expanded. I want to try that new Ouidad creme gel(I think that's what it is). My hair is pretty fine.

I haven't found a product yet that works well in FL or the rain. My hair looks the best in Vegas. It's unbelievable, I can sleep and party in it and it looks exactly the same the next day.
Deserts are the best.
Yes but then my skin suffers. I have eczema and I break out into some weird hives looking rash all over my arms and parts of my legs after the 3rd or so day being there..
Josephine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Trending Topics[-]hide

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com