How often do your coworkers have meltdowns on the job?

Like Tree25Likes

Due to job stress? A lot? Almost never? Somewhere in between?

My boss left early crying a couple months ago. My friend also had to leave one day a few months ago "just to get away." A couple other department heads have cried on my boss's shoulder, I'm told. The relationship the owner has with everyone is downright abusive.

Is anyone else's workplace like this?
No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Kimshi4242

http://www.tumblr.com/blog/kimshi4242

Last edited by The New Black; 04-13-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Never. At least not for reasons related to other employees. We all get along wonderfully and it's a very healthy place to work.

The only time we have a "meltdown" is when it's related to our work with clients. We just take a day for self-care so we won't burn out or go in our office and cry a little. And even that rarely happens.

The last time I cried at work was when I watched a mother say goodbye to her children and I knew she was never going to get them back. That was over a year ago.
3c/4a

Last edited by Po; 04-13-2013 at 10:22 AM.
I've been at my job seven months. My boss had a meltdown a couple weeks ago. He was yelling at and berating one of my co-workers. It was horrible because I could hear everything until another colleague and I left to get away.

There was a lot if tears, drama and yelling at my old office depending on who you worked with.
Loose botticelli curls and waves
No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
I work with special needs children, so it's not unusual for a child to have a melt down, though obviously, its a goal to prevent such times.

Until this past week, I would have told you rarely to never for employees. Unfortunately, I just learned that a colleague is not the wonder I have been thinking he is, and there have been instances of unacceptable, unprofessional behavior. I have not witnessed any of it, though, so I cannot say for sure.

eta, what I have heard, is behavior among adults, not students. Not that it makes it okay, just don't want you to think it's child abuse going on.
3a/2c
Trader Joe's Tingle conditioner wash/ conditioner
AG re:coil, LALooks gel, John Frieda Secret Weapon

Last edited by KurlyKae; 04-13-2013 at 11:13 AM.
I would say never, at least not to my knowledge. The patients have the meltdowns, we have to hold it together.
3b in South Australia.
Stress is always present, and will get to/come out in people one way or another, but meltdowns that force people to breakdown and leave are rare. To be frank: In my office, the ones who scream, cry and have to leave are ones who typically have a flare for that behavior. We all may hang up the phone and vent (because we can and helps release), but office outbursts are normally a rarity. Burnout is far more common, and much more quiet.
When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

Stress is always present, and will get to/come out in people one way or another, but meltdowns that force people to breakdown and leave are rare. To be frank: In my office, the ones who scream, cry and have to leave are ones who typically have a flare for that behavior. We all may hang up the phone and vent (because we can and helps release), but office outbursts are normally a rarity. Burnout is far more common, and much more quiet.
Originally Posted by Fifi.G
ETA: Personally, I have cried at work one time in 10 years and it had nothing to do with work. It was a personal situation. I've had tiffs or spats with co workers (it happens) but never yelled at anyone there or in office.
When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

My job is/was awful and meltdowns are/were common. I say was because I couldn't stand it a minute longer. My health was suffering, my relationships were suffering, and I never had the time, energy or inclination to do anything fun outside of work. I was technically laid off a couple weeks ago but I asked for it.

There was a month or two stretch when I cried on a daily basis. I'd say I cried an average of once a week the rest of time over the past 15 months. I wasn't the only one. It was a truly toxic environment.
Quote:
When are women going to face the fact that they donít know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
Bonsai Culturist
Not at my current job. My last job made me an angry, emotional lunatic. The leadership was unprofessional and disorganized. Toward the end of my time there, I found it easier to not be as professional as I usually am, so I wouldn't be so angry at the stupidity I had to deal with. I would go outside and call someone when I needed to vent or say the serenity prayer silently at my desk.

Before those coping methods, I tried to change things and I found myself snapping at people once I realized no one wanted to change; they just liked talking about how dysfunctional it was to work there. I had asthma flare ups because I was that mad. It was a bad situation.

OT : Mrs. P sorry to hear about your job situation. I hope you find something better soon.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using CurlTalk App
mrspoppers likes this.
3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
Even though I work alone, I still have the occasional freak-out (deadlines changing, martinet behavior on the part of clients, etc.) but it's easy to manage, though the dogs hide if I start ranting or weeping out loud. Sometimes I just have to stop and take someone for a walk (mostly me, but I bring a dog along because they'll be happy despite my muttering to myself as I stomp down the street). I had many more fits when I worked for newspapers (they were poorly run).

When I worked at law firms, there were daily fits by my co-workers. Someone was always weeping in the restroom, or hiding under a desk in her "cube", or throwing a phone. One of the attornies I knew kicked the **** out of a box of files in his office. And there were screaming matches, too.

Can you say "high rate of turnover"?

Dogs and nature abhor a vacuum.
http://geaugadoggy.wordpress.com
I hope things work out for you, mrsp.
mrspoppers likes this.

Dogs and nature abhor a vacuum.
http://geaugadoggy.wordpress.com
I hope things work out for you, mrsp.
Originally Posted by claudine19
+1

I hope things work out and you find something far more enjoyable.
When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

Once or twice a week this stupid woman at my job starts screaming and carrying on at someone for some bloody thing. Her goal in life is to find someone to criticize and abuse. I have contempt for people who behave this way. So unprofessional - having tantrums like 2-year olds.
2/c and some 3A. Modified CG.
Protein sensitive
Highly porous. Color over grey.
Best 1st day method: Super Soaker
Conditioners: Curl Junkie Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner,
Deep condish: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab
Stylers: Experimenting with cones & sulfates while the dews are high.
Sometimes try roller sets - classic glamor but I prefer my curls.
Every day is a gift
Not at my current job. My last job made me an angry, emotional lunatic. The leadership was unprofessional and disorganized.
Originally Posted by multicultcurly
this was my last job, too.

my current job is a WAY more stressful environment and no one has meltdowns - unless you count my boss yelling at lunatics who abuse court staff - which has only happened twice in 2 years - he will not stand for people being rude and abusive to our front line staff.

i don't know if any of you remember me talking about my co-worker at the Ottawa tax office, but she would have screaming fights with her husband or children on the phone and then run crying into our boss' office and stay there for ages! that happened at least a couple of times a month. i don't know why or how our boss there put up with it...
My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
Not at my current job. My last job made me an angry, emotional lunatic. The leadership was unprofessional and disorganized.
Originally Posted by multicultcurly
this was my last job, too.

my current job is a WAY more stressful environment and no one has meltdowns - unless you count my boss yelling at lunatics who abuse court staff - which has only happened twice in 2 years - he will not stand for people being rude and abusive to our front line staff.

i don't know if any of you remember me talking about my co-worker at the Ottawa tax office, but she would have screaming fights with her husband or children on the phone and then run crying into our boss' office and stay there for ages! that happened at least a couple of times a month. i don't know why or how our boss there put up with it...
Originally Posted by rouquinne
I had two like that. Thankfully, they moved on.
When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

Stress is always present, and will get to/come out in people one way or another, but meltdowns that force people to breakdown and leave are rare. To be frank: In my office, the ones who scream, cry and have to leave are ones who typically have a flare for that behavior. We all may hang up the phone and vent (because we can and helps release), but office outbursts are normally a rarity. Burnout is far more common, and much more quiet.
Originally Posted by Fifi.G


This very much applies to my workplace (though we don't work on the phone, venting is done in the office with the door shut so the patients can't hear).

Mrs Poppers, that sounds truly dreadful, jobs should never have such a negative impact on the rest of our life. I'm glad you're out of it, though sorry you're out of work. Hope something better turns up for you
mrspoppers likes this.
3b in South Australia.
Emotional breakdowns: never

My workplace is very high stress sometimes. My coworkers and I have to keep it together or someone can get seriously hurt in an emergency situation. We work so closely with eachother that sibling-esque arguments are common. You have the argument and then it's over. And if something big is going on, it's not uncommon to get phone calls or someone showing up to make sure you're ok both physically and emotionally.

In the five years I've worked here I've only had one borderline breakdown. but there wasn't any yelling or tears, I just walked away all "Bye"
Thanks, ladies. I didn't mean to make this a thread about me. FWIW, while I need to work and bring in some money, I am so much better health-wise, since I got my layoff notice. I'm determined that my next job will be something that I enjoy.
gemini, rouquinne, Starmie and 1 others like this.
Quote:
When are women going to face the fact that they donít know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
Bonsai Culturist
My job (when I was working) used to have a 'leave your personal problems at the door policy'. In the more than several years I worked there I only saw two women break down. One when her father died, and another having a miscarriage.

I've seen people walk out, but I've never seen anyone have a breakdown and cry. Maybe because I couldn't stay at a place like that for long.
I got out my chair and walked off the job Thursday. My job is too stressful for me.

They keep track of EVERYTHING u do...digitally, even when u have to use the restroom. Ppl screaming at me on the phone, time restraints on every single thing. I have never been so stressed out over a job before. That was my first time just walking away. I did return the next day.

But i am actively looking for a new job. At my current job i even have to BEG for time off just to go to the doctor. I've never had a job like that before and i always request time off 2 wks in advance. So this week im going to hopefully have some interviews for a job that pays less, but at least i can keep my sanity.

I can't do it anymore.

Sent from my LG-LG730 using CurlTalk App
mrspoppers and curlypearl like this.
2yrs 7 months post relaxer/2 years and 11 months natural

Cleanse: SM Moisture Retention or Suave Naturals shampoos
Co-Wash: Suave Naturals, L'Oreal EverCreme or EverCurl
RO/Detangler: Tresseme Naturals, GVPCB
Leave-In: SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie, TN, GVPCB
Styler: EcoStyler, GF Pure Clean gel, KCCC

Just discovering my hair likes protein!

Trending Topics


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com