Go Back   CurlTalk > Life > Non-hair discussion

Like Tree84Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #121
 
Fifi.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 7,301
Default

I didn't think that would hold unless her team had some people who were actual victims lined up to testify. I honestly don't know how the court system works (hell, half the time I don't understand it) but I personally would not find it fair for one person to ask for $$$$$$$$$$$$ because other people were victims of racial discrimination. That strikes me as a little selfish and odd. If you're going to ask someone to pay, make sure it actually goes to the victims of the alleged discrimination, rather than someone in ear shot.
__________________
When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

Fifi.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:21 PM   #122
 
Lotsawaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 9,163
Default

Yes, but isn't she also saying that she was sexually harassed?
__________________
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
Lotsawaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #123
 
spiderlashes5000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 19,334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi.G View Post
I didn't think that would hold unless her team had some people who were actual victims lined up to testify. I honestly don't know how the court system works (hell, half the time I don't understand it) but I personally would not find it fair for one person to ask for $$$$$$$$$$$$ because other people were victims of racial discrimination. That strikes me as a little selfish and odd. If you're going to ask someone to pay, make sure it actually goes to the victims of the alleged discrimination, rather than someone in ear shot.
I think the point is that racially/sexually/etc. offensive remarks can create a hostile work environment for everyone (based on a "reasonable person" standard).

Who is to say if Black ppl came fwd to corroborate this, they wouldn't be killed or further harrassed? Maybe she is the only one, a nonBlack, who felt empowered enough to blow the whistle.
Lotsawaves likes this.
__________________
3b (with 3c tendencies) on modified CG


Last edited by spiderlashes5000; 08-15-2013 at 03:35 PM.
spiderlashes5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:53 PM   #124
 
Fifi.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 7,301
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotsawaves View Post
Yes, but isn't she also saying that she was sexually harassed?
Yes, she claims she was directly a victim of sexual harassment, by Bubba, and the judge allowed that to stand.
__________________
When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

Fifi.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #125
 
Fifi.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 7,301
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderlashes5000 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi.G View Post
I didn't think that would hold unless her team had some people who were actual victims lined up to testify. I honestly don't know how the court system works (hell, half the time I don't understand it) but I personally would not find it fair for one person to ask for $$$$$$$$$$$$ because other people were victims of racial discrimination. That strikes me as a little selfish and odd. If you're going to ask someone to pay, make sure it actually goes to the victims of the alleged discrimination, rather than someone in ear shot.
I think the point is that racially/sexually/etc. offensive remarks can create a hostile work environment for everyone (based on a "reasonable person" standard).

Who is to say if Black ppl came fwd to corroborate this, they wouldn't be killed or further harrassed? Maybe she is the only one, a nonBlack, who felt empowered enough to blow the whistle.
She might be, I don't know, but with all the publicity in this case the millions of dollars that could result from suits, I would not see that as being highly likely. Again, just speculation, but it was all over the TV from the get go, and if people joined in, and were publicly noted, and then harmed... That would lead to some major trouble.

I'm not saying that maybe some didn't feel comfortable coming forward. Idk, I am not there. Just as it stands, I didn't think that part would be allowed if Lisa was the only one backing the claim. It would be a little odd to award her money for discrimination that happened to someone else.
__________________
When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

Fifi.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:04 PM   #126
 
Lotsawaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 9,163
Default

I see your point on the discrimination. Hopefully, they'll be found guilty on creating a hostile work environment and sexual harassment.
__________________
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
Lotsawaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:07 PM   #127
 
Fifi.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 7,301
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotsawaves View Post
I see your point on the discrimination. Hopefully, they'll be found guilty on creating a hostile work environment and sexual harassment.
It's just one of those situations. With no one actually named, or no one that came forward, as being racially discriminated against... It's pure he said/she said and speculation. One can wonder/speculate that she is doing this on behalf of others that might not want to come forward, but you could never know, and you would never know if the people deserving of the settlement ever got one single dime of it. All they know for sure is a woman who wasn't actually racially discriminated against is seeking a settlement because others were, and because she was sensitive to it due to the fact that she has bi-racial nieces, who are young, and not employed by the Deen/Heirs family. That's not sufficient when looking at the claim of racial discrimination and treatment of black employees.


The Sexual Harassment case is, from what I can gather, strictly against Bubba. We'll have to see what comes of that.
__________________
When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

Fifi.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #128
 
wavydaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,586
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samanthascurlz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby View Post

If you are in the 1%, good for you. No racial slurs for white people. Who are you fooling, black people use them all the time. I strongly doubt she's proud of having used the word. My only point is she admitted she used it. But using it alone does not make you a racist.
I think I sort of agree with you lol. She recognized it, apologized about it, and wants to move forward. That is clearly positive. No, I don't think using the "n" word automatically means that someone is going to go out in their white hood and coat and start searching for black people. But being bi-racial, when you hear the "N" word come out of someone's mouth, you have to wonder, why did you say that? It is a derogatory term. Why must you generalize someone and degrade them like that? In a way, it dehumanizes an individual. What deeper opinion did this word come from? So in that sense, I don't agree with you. But I think that is because we might have different experiences concerning the word. Experience will make or break how someone reacts to a word or any stimuli. As a side note, this doesn't just come from Paula Deen's comment, but to anyone's comment- white or black.

But to dig deeper, I don't know why Paula Deen used the word. I don't want to believe that she wanted to dehumanize the individual that she said it to. That being said, I understand for business reasons, trying to shut her down for everything, since it was such a 'scandal,' people are going to associate her with using a nasty term. However, we, as humans, can move on from it. If she apologized, and sincerely meant it, I don't think completely taking everything away from her was the answer.
By no means am I saying she was right to use the word. Far from it. However, I do think Paula Deen is a product of the era (and region) she was raised in, though I don't condone using the "n" word and never have. Different generations think and act differently based on when they were raised. Many of them are not racist today. They were just acting and repeating what they heard. Education and life changed a lot of people over the years. That said, I believe she is genuine in her apology and nor should she have her life destroyed over something she said 30 years ago.
I haven't finished reading this thread (so I apologize if it's redundant) but this has succeeded to raise my blood pressure.

Bobby, here are some of my fundamental disagreements with your statements:

1) Product of an era. I'm sorry, but just because the she came from "era" was even more azz backwards than today that oppressed people of color through education, violence, law, economic displacement, segregation, daily instances of dehumanization including but not limited to nasty racial slurs, all of which continues today... doesn't mean that she and the people that came from this era are somehow excused from it. That doesn't make any sense. Remember, it was the people of this era that were creating this environment. White people didn't have to oppress people of color. But they did. It was their choice. They are responsible. Racism is inexcusable I do not care what "era" you were born in. It is wrong and nothing gives you a freaking free pass.

2) "Many of them are not racist today." Statistically speaking, actually, yes most of them are racist today, and have children to whom they passed on their racism. They continue to promote, normalize and excuse racist beliefs, behavior and policy, today.

3) "That said, I believe she is genuine in her apology and nor should she have her life destroyed over something she said 30 years ago." Uhhhh how exactly do you know that she is "genuine" in her apology. It's easy to apologize for something when you see your career tumbling down and because your publicist tells you to do it.

4) Your comments are very racist-apologist. Quite frankly, you are part of the problem.
__________________
fine - low porosity - medium density - normal elasticity. Very high dews. Soft water.

Cowash: CJ Daily Fix
Low-poo: CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo, Giovanni 2chic BK&AO
RO: TN Radiant Care, Giovanni SaS, Ogx BKT*, Sukin Nourishing, SS Caitlin's, various
LI: sometimes TN Radiant Care
Styler: FSG with CNPF, CJ Pattern Pusha, Volumax Mega, Ouidad Climate Control*, Ogx BKT serum*
PT: CJ Repair Me, IAgirl's gelatine

*have cones
underline = I love these!

iherb discount code: CFN646
wavydaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply
Trending Topics[-]hide

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com