I ate weevils- will I be okay???

I made some stew and found out that the flour I used as a thickener had weevils in it. I might have eaten some... do you think I will be okay? It was only a tiny bit of flour- like a few spoonfuls. Also, I have some leftover stew...should I chunk it or just say "what the heck" and keep on eating it??? I read on the internet (dangerous thing to do) that that can cause E-coli. Should I be concerned- esp. b/c I am pregnant.... Any thoughts??
A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
I guess you can wait and see if you develop E. coli, or you can phone your obstetrician for advice. I've never, uh, eaten a weevil, so I can't speak from personal experience.
I don't know, but I think you should call the doc, even if just to set your mind at ease.
The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics - Thomas Sowell
Definitely call your doc, even though it was a small amount...you want to be on the safe side. I don't think I could even eat the rest, just the thought of weevils would make me gag.
MY HAIR ALBUM
pw - jack

Going natural for the summer...just a dab of ArcAngell!
Seriously, if the weevils were cooked I doubt they will hurt you.

But I wouldn't keep eating it!

E. coli is a bacterium -- in fact, it is one of the helpful flora and fauna that live in our intestines all the time.

I am pretty sure it's a particular strain of the bacteria that causes the problems when ingested -- anything could be contaminated with e. coli and that's why we practice sanitation when preparing food.

I have not heard of any particular concern re: weevils and e. coli, though.

Harmful or not, I'm with you. This stew would have a serious oog factor.
"Tell me, are you incapable of restraining yourself, or do you take pride in being an insufferable know-it-all?"

"Honey Badger don't care!"
Yeah, I've done it. You'll be fine. Consider it a little extra protein.


Obamacare is not a blueprint for socialism. You're thinking of the New Testament. ~~ John Fugelsang



I agree- a little extra protein. You'll be fine.
I'd say you'll be fine as well. I wouldn't worry about it, but if you continue to feel uneasy, I wouldn't eat the leftovers, and I'd place a call to the Dr. - just to easy your mind. I'd say many of us have eaten them before.
and you *are* still breathing, right??

My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
The weevils were cooked...no problem. You could probably still eat the stew, but I'd throw it away just because of the grossness factor.


don't eat the rest!
coarse, thick 3a
modified cg








E. coli is a bacterium -- in fact, it is one of the helpful flora and fauna that live in our intestines all the time.

I am pretty sure it's a particular strain of the bacteria that causes the problems when ingested -- anything could be contaminated with e. coli and that's why we practice sanitation when preparing food.
Originally Posted by fig jam
Yep, you are right. The E.coli that lives in our intestines is not the kind that causes food poisoning.

One harmful harmful strain evolved inside the rumen of cattle after the advent of industrial agriculture led to people started feeding them corn instead of grass and hay. The change in diet changed the acidity of the cow's digestive tract, (in fact, if you feed a cow corn long enough, it will die from it; we slaughter them before it gets to that point though), leading to a new strain of E.coli that can survive the acidity of our stomachs and make us sick. So if you eat food that is contaminated with that kind of E.coli, it means your food was directly or indirectly contaminated with cow feces. Nice, huh?

I had to google to find out what a weevil is, and then I threw up in my mouth a little
"Yo, James, i'm really happy for you, i'm gonna let you finish killing Bella in a minute, but Demetri was one of the best Trackers of ALL time!"

www.myspace.com/mimichica
Don't feel bad I was making Cherry Jelly this summer with a friend and as we are pitting the cherries she asked if I had seen any maggots in the cherries I had done I told here no but double checked. Every cherry we pitted had these little white maggot things in them we picked them out well as many as we could and went a head and made the jelly I figured as hot as that cherry stuff was when we boiled it that we would be fine eating it. I ate it she wouldn't (it was the best cherry jelly ever) the thing that really got to me was that I had sat under that cherry tree eating cherries while visiting my neighbor the day before. I figured that we had taken the time to get the little nasties out of the cherries where I'm sure they don't do that good of a job in the factories so I'm sure they are in the jelly you buy in the store.

Shelli I think you'll be fine







Don't feel bad I was making Cherry Jelly this summer with a friend and as we are pitting the cherries she asked if I had seen any maggots in the cherries I had done I told here no but double checked. Every cherry we pitted had these little white maggot things in them we picked them out well as many as we could and went a head and made the jelly I figured as hot as that cherry stuff was when we boiled it that we would be fine eating it. I ate it she wouldn't (it was the best cherry jelly ever) the thing that really got to me was that I had sat under that cherry tree eating cherries while visiting my neighbor the day before. I figured that we had taken the time to get the little nasties out of the cherries where I'm sure they don't do that good of a job in the factories so I'm sure they are in the jelly you buy in the store.

Shelli I think you'll be fine
Originally Posted by picklesgirl

I just threw up a little in my mouth. Oh my. Weevils, maybe.... maggots? HELL no.
Shelli, I'm sure you're fine.

Would I KNOWINGLY eat the leftovers? No.

Would I KNOWINGLY eat cherries that I had picked maggots out of? Hell no! I would've never picked the maggots out.....if I had seen maggots in them to begin with, I would have thrown them out. Yuck.
I'm sure you'll be fine and I'm sorry for any stress this may have caused you.
But I have to say this has the best title of any thread in a long time. "I ate Weevils!". Oh my gosh, that's funny!
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
Don't feel bad I was making Cherry Jelly this summer with a friend and as we are pitting the cherries she asked if I had seen any maggots in the cherries I had done I told here no but double checked. Every cherry we pitted had these little white maggot things in them we picked them out well as many as we could and went a head and made the jelly I figured as hot as that cherry stuff was when we boiled it that we would be fine eating it. I ate it she wouldn't (it was the best cherry jelly ever) the thing that really got to me was that I had sat under that cherry tree eating cherries while visiting my neighbor the day before. I figured that we had taken the time to get the little nasties out of the cherries where I'm sure they don't do that good of a job in the factories so I'm sure they are in the jelly you buy in the store.

Shelli I think you'll be fine
Originally Posted by picklesgirl

I just threw up a little in my mouth. Oh my. Weevils, maybe.... maggots? HELL no.
Originally Posted by Rheanna83

I can't even finish the rest of my bagel now. You all are definitely some tough ladies... if a fly lands on my food I can't even get up enough stomach to finish it.
Lindsey
BKT'ed
I am a country girl. If a fly landed on my food, my dad woudl have said, "It didn't eat much."
A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
I am a country girl. If a fly landed on my food, my dad woudl have said, "It didn't eat much."
Originally Posted by shelli
me to I guess us country girls are just raised tough lol

What's really funny is my sis-in-law who makes cherry jelly every year was like I've never seen those things in the cherries I pick. So I asked her if the tree she picks from is sprayed and she said no and so I told her that she wasn't looking close enough then, she freaked out I'm not sure she's eaten any of her jelly since. I guess these magot things (i'm not 100%R sure that's what they were) are very common in cherries unless you spray the tree when it blooms.







Trending Topics


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com