Go Back   CurlTalk > Life > Non-hair discussion

Like Tree18136Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2011, 07:12 AM   #22381
 
The New Black's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 13,682
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by legends View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja dog View Post

It's supposed to hurt to punch. Raw knuckles, etc. Would I need a boxing glove?
Yes, or hand wraps. I personally prefer hitting with wraps. It hurts much less.
I love that you know that. I don't even want to know how you know that, because if it's from a boxing class I will be horribly disappointed.
__________________
No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Kimshi4242

http://www.tumblr.com/blog/kimshi4242
The New Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:17 AM   #22382
 
Saria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,877
Default

You know, Buffy for me is the type of show that I have no interest in whatsoever anymore. I loved it growing up (well, up to season 3 really, though I do think Hush from season 4 is brilliant), but I have zero interest in re-watching it. Part of it is that to me the memory went sour because Whedon ruined both it and Angel past the first couple of seasons. The other part is that I have a real distaste for Whedon and his ego. He fancies himself a lot of things he isn't (his stuff isn't as clever as he thinks; his dialogue is easily recognizable and I mean that in a pretentious, self-consciously "clever", cringe-worthy, clunky, had-to-be-written-by-Whedon sort of way; he laughably thinks he's a feminist) and his shows are hideously overrated, especially considering how many have actually been any good. He just loves to cram angst down viewers' throats because as he put it, he gives people what they need and not what they want. Well, I don't want your shows, you egotistical twit.
__________________

Last edited by Saria; 05-09-2011 at 07:26 AM.
Saria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:20 AM   #22383
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 15,533
Default

I never knew that about Whedon. I believe it, though.

I still like Dr. Horrible.
ninja dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:28 AM   #22384
 
Saria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,877
Default

Ninja, he came up with that godawful Dollhouse concept and yet the dude thinks he's for feminism.
__________________
Saria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #22385
 
medussa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 20,269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saria View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by medussa View Post
Who knew pine nuts made your mouth taste bitter for days after consumption? I thought I was dying of cancer and did a Google search. I've never had pine nuts, but I had a pasta dish on Tuesday with it.

The take away? Google is your friend, people! And pine nuts are the debbil (for some people). Go ahead, look it up!
It's not really true that pine nuts make some people's mouths taste bitter. It seems to be a problem only with Chinese pine nuts, which are much cheaper and more available. So, don't give up on pine nuts just yet (especially if you encounter cookies or biscotti made with them).
Thanks Saria. It's funny you say that about the culprit being Chinese pine nuts. That's what I read online. So yesterday I was at this friend's house for brunch and I asked her if she still had the container. They turned out to be Target brand pine nuts (Archer Farms). Made in China. It turns out she's been tasting the same thing and chalked it up to some new iron supplements. Now she knows. Gross. I'm not sure I ever want to try a pine nut again. This feeling is awful. It lasted about 4 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saria View Post
There is a mosquito in this house that is of course feasting on me and that I've yet to even see. Two nights in a row now I've heard the awful sound of it flying around me in the dark and yet no sighting of him during the day.
Now isn't this one of those times you wish you had a mosquitero?
medussa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:50 AM   #22386
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 15,533
Default

I don't know much of his work (thank goodness, I'm guessing). Was Dollhouse a horror?
---------
What's a mosquitero?
ninja dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:53 AM   #22387
 
fig jam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,585
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja dog View Post
I never knew that about Whedon. I believe it, though.

I still like Dr. Horrible.
I never liked anything he did EXCEPT for Dr. Horrible. Which I loved!

I am not into the vampire/zombie stuff, though I love me a good ghost story.
__________________
"Tell me, are you incapable of restraining yourself, or do you take pride in being an insufferable know-it-all?"

"Honey Badger don't care!"
fig jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:00 AM   #22388
 
Saria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,877
Default

Medussa, you just brought back memories of waking up and seeing those bloodsuckers all over the mosquitero, just sitting there wishing. I was covered in scabs as a kid thanks to mosquitoes.

Ninja, it's a mosquito net, which you put up over a bed like a tent so they can't get in.

Last time I went to the DR, I had to go through a routine of locking the bathroom door and killing every single mosquito before I could shower. There were usually at least five, and more likely ten.

As for Dollhouse, people tried to defend it, mostly because a lot of people don't want to admit that Whedon isn't god and that everything he touches doesn't turn to gold. It sucked.
__________________
Saria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:21 AM   #22389
 
Saria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,877
Default

Well, posting now to say I took the seasonal job after waiting a couple of days for a reply from other jobs. Good thing since I never got a response. I start on the 15th of May. I am a bit annoyed that the ad said the housing would be a single occupancy room and what happened? I received an email from another person who was hired that we're going to be roommates! Argh! Ah well.
Anywho, I'm trying to come up with my list of things to take. I already reloaded on hair products of course!
I am trying to recall which books I've always wanted to read but haven't yet, because I can see myself reading by the beach on my time off. I haven't read much of James Baldwin, so there's one I've always wanted to read but haven't. Maybe also Ellison's Invisible Man. Maybe some Eudora Welty. Also want to try Es'Kia Mphahlele's In Corner B. Italo Calvino is another I like.
Got any suggestions? Should I give East of Eden a try?
__________________
Saria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #22390
 
spring1onu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 13,153
Default

Saria, congratulations!! I can't wait to hear how your adventure goes. How exciting!!
__________________




Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! .
The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
spring1onu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:50 AM   #22391
 
Saria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,877
Default

Thanks, spring. I figure I could do worse than working by the beach for four months. Pics will be provided.
__________________
Saria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:55 AM   #22392
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 15,533
Default

Try Travels with Charlie. It's fun.
ninja dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:58 AM   #22393
 
TRBL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,144
Default

Yay for Saria! Yes please keep us all posted as to your adventures! You are going to Maine, right?
__________________
When I grow up, I wanna be a Jiujitsu Turtle!

My british name, courtesy of Ninja Dog Shade Haven-Staffordshire: TRBL Hough Jewelstone Turtleneck

Its chaos a few hairs at a time. ~Minxy
TRBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:02 PM   #22394
 
Saria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,877
Default

I trust your fine literary taste, ninja.

Summer reading makes me think of Lolita since I read it throughout the trip to Peru for my brother's wedding. Plus he takes her on a road trip during the summer. I love Lolita!

TRBL, Sunset Beach right here in NY. Yep, it has a soap opera name.
__________________
Saria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:10 PM   #22395
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 15,533
Default

Hey! Maybe you could make a tv novella with that title while you're there.
ninja dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:14 PM   #22396
 
The New Black's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 13,682
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saria View Post
Well, posting now to say I took the seasonal job after waiting a couple of days for a reply from other jobs. Good thing since I never got a response. I start on the 15th of May. I am a bit annoyed that the ad said the housing would be a single occupancy room and what happened? I received an email from another person who was hired that we're going to be roommates! Argh! Ah well.
Anywho, I'm trying to come up with my list of things to take. I already reloaded on hair products of course!
I am trying to recall which books I've always wanted to read but haven't yet, because I can see myself reading by the beach on my time off. I haven't read much of James Baldwin, so there's one I've always wanted to read but haven't. Maybe also Ellison's Invisible Man. Maybe some Eudora Welty. Also want to try Es'Kia Mphahlele's In Corner B. Italo Calvino is another I like.
Got any suggestions? Should I give East of Eden a try?
If you're in the mood for something about the Black experience or by Black authors (although Welty is White), maybe you'd like Robert Hayden. His poem Middle Passage is one of my favorites.

And congrats!!
__________________
No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Kimshi4242

http://www.tumblr.com/blog/kimshi4242
The New Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:23 PM   #22397
 
Saria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,877
Default

I'd have to change it to something like Playa del Sol since Sunset Beach doesn't translate as neatly into Spanish.
I think I prefer to fancy an Agatha Christie Evil Under the Sun type of mystery.

Thanks, Phoenix!
__________________
Saria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:23 PM   #22398
 
xcptnl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13,145
Default

I got all excited, then boom! Let down. I was reading saria's post about her summer job-saw the question about Maine and for some reason I got all excited about her being in Maine. Not sure why. Then reading on - no Maine.


Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
__________________
Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
xcptnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:29 PM   #22399
 
spring1onu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 13,153
Default

Oh my WORD!! Why are you such IDIOTS!!!! You do this for a living, but the reason you're no good at it is because you simply do not care about helping anyone. If you did you would have told us last WEEK we could schedule our move online. Do you have any idea how your carelessness has impacted our life?? Of course you don't, because you just do. not. care.

Thanks for nothing.
__________________




Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! .
The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
spring1onu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:37 PM   #22400
 
curlylaura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 6,406
Default

Why am I so nervous about my date tomorrow? I'm nearly 30 and I thought I be over this crap by now
__________________
Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
curlylaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Trending Topics[-]hide

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com