Say It. I Dare You.

Like Tree18968Likes

Saria, I wish I'd had your advice several years ago when I hosted my first Thanksgiving ever. I was soooo clueless and ended up never making it out of my pajamas that day and was so tired I barely ate.

We do indeed learn from our mistakes because now I start cooking 3 days ahead of time and get picked on for my "food box" that I put non-perishables in ahead of time. My BFF keeps asking me "So, you start your box yet?" har har, silly woman

I even have notes and lists in Word documents so I can refer back to previous years!

I went ahead and ordered a turkey from Whole Foods so I wouldn't have any doubts about the star of the show.

Saria, my first thought is to suggest you relax and take the day off, but my instinct tells me you'd be happier cooking.

I think we need a Thanksgiving thread.




Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! .
The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
OMG, WANT:


Seriously, my favorite knife is still sporting this unfortunate look:


I'll take it to Korin to get it fixed, but I also think a new knife wouldn't hurt. I haven't bought myself a gyuto in years! I've been good! Only a petty and a bread knife in recent memory!
Spring, the other problem is that it's extra stressful because I'd have not even two days to transport god only knows how much stuff over to my brother's place. Nope, not doing it. I'll no doubt bake a pie or two, though. I'm waiting on quince to arrive. And I am going to make that sweet potato tarte Tatin soon enough. So, at least pie.
I think pie strikes a good balance on you being able to chill and still making some people happy by feeding them.




Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! .
The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
I just plain wouldn't cook for Saria. Not a chance. No way. No how. (I'm hoping she'd cook for ME! hehe)

I'm a tad nervous to cook for my Thanksgiving guests because my SIL's hubby is a wonderful cook and they cook/eat things we don't normally have. He grew up in a restaurant owning family and is kinda fancy pants with their food. I hope I at least get some edible things on the table without screwing it all up. Ok, so maybe I'm more than a tad nervous.
Originally Posted by spring1onu
I have a practically no fail turkey recipe and 2 delish stuffing recipes if you're interested. Oh and my pumpkin bar recipe is always the talk of turkey day.
High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Jess, I'd love for you to share because I'm always looking for things to try! I started a Thanksgiving thread so feel free to post it there so everyone can take advantage!




Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! .
The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
Freaking earrings! Have they learned to apparate and kept it from their owners? Worst. Magic possessions. Ever.

My mind keeps bringing up Warren's idiotic lines before firing the magic loogie bullet. That was the most generic crazy I've ever heard anyone throw down, and I expect way more from the crazy on Buffy. This line of thought indicates that it's time for another Buffy rant, yes? Yes.
OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie.
im in the mood
for some American food
Last time on Buffy: no. I refuse. This time on Buffy: it's ambulance time. Am - am I supposed to take the giant swirly Wizard of Oz head in profile that is Osiris seriously? It looks so ridiculous, and it's rather redundant, considering that we already know that "a human death by human means" is not to be undone by magic. I also can't take it seriously that Willow's just blown it away with some sort of sonic bellow of rage. To be fair, Osiris, you should've seen this coming: we already know that even gods should not piss her off. I don't like that nobody but Willow even knows that poor Tara lies dead in Joyce's old room. No comment on any of the trio, screw them. Oh wow, Willow's book absorption looks so cool! Oh dear god. Dawn. Dawn is going to walk upstairs and find Tara's body. Please don't do that. I shouldn't have mentioned wanting others to know. Ugh, Warren, you get no brownie points for using "the trio" as your official name, because you sucked before you killed Tara. Die. Painfully. Go, Willow, go! Such amazing powers she had - look how she's seamlessly repaired Buffy, bullet removal and all. Why would you pull that addiction crap and deny us the sight of such awesomeness? It's also your doing that she hasn't spoken the three terse words, "He killed Tara." Eeeeewww, did Warren take out his eyeball and put it in a robot? Is that what happened there? Because gross. [ETA: No, he didn't. The eyeball was just rather squishy. Unsure how the robot managed to have his essence, but whatever.] I'm glad Willow finally told Buffy and Xander what happened, and I understand why they would want her to stop, but boy, am I ever with Willow on this one.

Poor Dawn. Of course she doesn't understand - I saw it happen and I don't get the logistics of it. How bad do things have to be for Dawn to be the only one talking sense? I agree so much with that look she gave Buffy after being told not to say it's good that Willow's out to kill Warren. Dawn's "Why not?" fits such a look, but so does "B*tch, you crazy?" and that is how I'd caption it. Now Xander's on the sense train. Buffy, get off your high horse and hop on the only mode of transportation that won't make me hate you. Shut up about Slaying not giving you "a license to kill," which is rather contradictory but whatever, because Willow's doing the dirty work here. You just have to recognize that she's right and not ruin this for me. Your argument uses MagicCrack for its logical base, so you are clearly wrong no matter what the show decides. OMG, Buffy. Xander's making sense again, and you are SO not. Dawn wants to go to the house of the guy who recently went off the deep end and tried to rape you, and you shut Xander up and are going to send her there rather than talk about what happened? YOU DO NOT SEND YOUR LITTLE SISTER TO A RAPIST TO KEEP HER OUT OF DANGER. Don't even try to be all "Oh, but that was because it was me" because it was all about his power as pertains to you ("You love me") and furthermore signaled that he's had a psychotic break and therefore is not good to babysit. You'll find that he's already biked out of town with a mini-monologue anyway, but you are still an idiot. Skin flappy guy is nice. That doesn't make you less stupid. Why are you asking when Spike will be back and looking rather sad about him being gone? He tried to rape you. Act like a person!

I feel showing Spike in his pursuit of chip removal was unnecessary, unless you plan to have that gravelly-voiced demon return him to his "former self" by making him human!William instead, which you won't. Back to Willow's quest for vengeance, which I really don't want Buffy to successfully interrupt. Can she just use her magic to find him and kill him manually so as not to "destroy herself" with your MagicCrack nonsense? WARREN PUT AN AXE IN WILLOW'S BACK. SOB, you gon' die. She gon' get up and she gon' KILL YOU SO DEAD. Sweet explosion stopping, Will! Now sic 'im. Yes. Yes, yes, yes! Don't even struggle, Warren. The trees have you wrapped up like a present. Open it, Willow. Do it now, before anyone can stop you. Teasing him with ghost!Katrina is all well and good, but then he gets to retort, and you know how I hate his lines. Yes, you have figured him out: he gets off on killing and is all around a hideous little cockroach of a man. Crush him now. Please, Willow, they're coming to stop you. Do it now! Yes! YES! This is the way to monologue - villains, take note! You do it while you slowly use badass telekinesis to drive a bullet through the flesh of your victim. And she's sewn his lips together? Hooray for Badass Willow! Keep it up, okay? Don't listen to your friends, and above all don't listen to Warren now that you've released the stitches so he can answer you. Stay focused. Finish him.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!! That was totally WICKED! In more than one sense of the word! I love the tie-in to her evil vampire twin from seasons ago: Warren begs, Warren pleads, Warren thinks he can make her change her mind, and Willow just sighs, "Bored now," and instead of just moving the bullet through the rest of the way, she telekinetically rips all his skin off in one fell swoop. AND she made his grisly corpse burst into flame (thanks, it was kinda gross) before teleporting with electric awesome! I'm not sure who else she's targeting now ("One down"), but I guess she's become the Big Bad for this finale. Whatever, good luck trying to make me root for the good guys this time. I've apparently gone to a very dark place this recap. I just enjoyed a torture and homicide way too much.
OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie.

Last edited by wild_sasparilla; 11-08-2011 at 02:51 AM.
Hi, OBB! Pay no mind to the recap rant below you. I do those in here now.

I wonder if I should move them somewhere else when I go on with my shows-to-watch list. Hm, I think I like this idea. Definitely keeping Buffy in the Say It thread, though.
OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie.
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 41,043
What happened geks?
Feel better soon iroc.
Originally Posted by WileESteelNervs
My friend had a baby this weekend and it died shortly after being born. The funeral is Thursday. She posted this today on FB -

Why does life have to be so unfair some times. I know deep down that god has his reasons for what he does, even through they don't make sense or are not even fair. I am still trying to figure out why god took my precious baby way from me; god you better be ready for me when I come because you are going to have a lot of explaining to do. Joshua I will see you again and I will always love you.
Just ****ing breaks my heart.
Originally Posted by gekko422
I'm so sorry...gg so sad! Do they know what happened?
My youngest nephew's name is Joshua...
My condolences to the fam.
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 41,043
Holy fargo...I keep trying to help you out, tho you keep fn it up...now what?
YES!!! Buffy rant!
I've been wanting you to get to this one so much so we could talk about Willow for a bit.
So, one of the complaints for this season is that they seemingly couldn't stick to one story development for Willow, so they ended up going somewhere stupid (MagicCrack). It turns out that it was fear that Willow couldn't be redeemed. There's conflicting stories about whether Alyson Hannigan herself asked for the story to go in a different direction early on when they were hinting towards power corruption early on. Hence MagicCrack and killing off Tara. That way, Willow isn't just power-hungry and evil as she assumes the role of the Big Bad this season.

I don't think this is a spoiler since it doesn't really make a difference on Buffy this or next season, but Warren actually comes back to life and shows up on Angel, which is ******** since she completely killed him!

The Spike thing is another baffling plot point to season 6 haters.

The official sassy recaps thread? Heh. Can't wait whatever you decide to do!
I'm so done. I'm tired of stressing out every time I put together the weekly menu. If the kids want to whine and complain, they can just be hungry for that meal. They'll learn to eat soon enough. Now, if only I could just get my husband to stop freaking out over whether the kids are going to eat...

Saria's making me work for it on WWF!

I'm SO excited that Christopher Paolini's Inheritance was released today!

I love the Buffy recaps. I used to watch it religiously, but haven't since it ended. It's so fun being brought back to it all when I come here.
"...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

OMG! Inheritance is OUT???!!!! How did I miss this?!!!!!


Must figure out how to get my hands on this!
I ain't thirsty. There's plenty of fish in the sea, but I don't want all of them, can I have some standards? Or do we just have to settle, for someone's who meh and will do.
"
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 41,043
My dad said GP was worthless.
I know he's upset and it breaks my heart that he is...well, he's still got me and hubby
We have essentially thrown up our hands b/c we have done all we can.
Ironically, today is mom and dad's 53rd anniv
Ha, Nallia is kicking my butt. WWF wants to give me nothing but vowels.
OMG! Inheritance is OUT???!!!! How did I miss this?!!!!!


Must figure out how to get my hands on this!
Originally Posted by kayb
I know! It took so long.
"...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden


Last edited by Nallia; 11-08-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Ha, Nallia is kicking my butt. WWF wants to give me nothing but vowels.
Originally Posted by Saria
It's been doing that to me a lot lately.
"...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

Bring everyone to my house. I'm never afraid to cook for anyone. The President, Prince Charles, my mother in law, Julia Child, Saria, Martha, or picky children. No problem. I haven't killed anyone yet. : )

I'm drooling over that knife saria. It's beautiful.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Feb 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd

Trending Topics


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com