Article: Size 0 versus Size 18

Size truly doesn't matter as long as you're at your body's healthy set point. I do believe that most everyone has a set point weight and it can be achieved and maintained through healthy eating and exercising. Some people can be rail thin, eat like a horse, and be healthy.
Originally Posted by Speckla
I'd like to clarify some of this, since there I see a lot of misconceptions online about the points that have been raised.

On slim people "eating like a horse": This is only true of teenagers, especially boys. People who stay slim easily often perceive that they eat a lot of food, when in fact they're eating a healthy amount for their height, body composition, and activity level. On the other hand, people who tend to be overweight often perceive that they're not eating much food, when in fact they're consuming more calories than they expend. These differences in perception have to do, in part, with the ability to differentiate feeling stuffed from feeling full. A lot of us are taught that they're the same thing, when in fact feeling stuffed is usually a sign of having over eaten (unless you've been gorging yourself on celery).

As for set points...Someone who's 5'6 would struggle to reach and maintain a weight of 100 pounds. However, no one's set point leaves them at a statistically unhealthy weight and body composition. (It's quite possible to be obese and have healthy cholesterol levels etc., but it's not common.)
863060[/url]]
I think my original comment up there was more about the comment that a woman wouldn't be happy in her body if she were certain sizes...who is anyone to tell anyone else that they aren't happy? I think that's where I was going, but it was so long ago

I really do think that clothing sizes in relation to people and where we carry our weight is deceiving. A few months back, I weighed more than I ever have in my life, yet I was still in the same sizes as when I weighed 15 pounds less. Weight isn't that great of a gauge of size, IMO. Inches would be a better gauge of sizing, but if you carry most of your weight up top, then you might find yourself in those smaller pants.

I guess there is so much ambiguity and all of that, that I really don't care what size other women wear. Like I said earlier about it, if folks want to lie (famous or not) and it makes them feel better, fine. I am also not one to go around spouting off what size clothing I wear to my friends, so maybe that's it. In fact, I don't think I even talk to my mom about what size I wear, I don't think my husband knows either (other than small/medium/large).
Originally Posted by M2LR;[URL="javascript:void(0)"
Interesting. I am now 5'2 at 135 pounds. And my BMI is 22. Hmm. Some of the comments on this thread regarding what weight we supposedly SHOULD be for our height are so hurtful. And slipping in veiled attempts to be self-aggrandizing about your own figure is pathetic. Telling others how much they should weigh in comparison to themselves. Sad. Just sad!

Here I am in my St. Pauli Girl Halloween Costume




span.jajahWrapper { font-size:1em; color:#B11196; text-decoration:underline; } a.jajahLink { color:#000000; text-decoration:none; } span.jajahInLink:hover { background-color:#B11196; }span.jajahWrapper { font-size:1em; color:#B11196; text-decoration:underline; } a.jajahLink { color:#000000; text-decoration:none; } span.jajahInLink:hover { background-color:#B11196; }
Curlies add me on myspace!

www.myspace.com/agilruth

Last edited by kindredspirit1983; 01-31-2009 at 01:37 PM. Reason: ms fixer
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 41,043
How cute are you girl..

Speckla said it best and of course...
Code:
MM rules..
I am now 5'2 at 135 pounds. And my BMI is 22.
Originally Posted by kindredspirit1983
How do you figure? The BMI for those stats is 24.7. (I only checked because I'm 5'3, and I know that my BMI is 22 when I'm at 124 pounds.) You don't look anywhere near borderline-overweight in your photo, though, despite what a BMI of 24.7 suggests.
863060[/url]]
I think my original comment up there was more about the comment that a woman wouldn't be happy in her body if she were certain sizes...who is anyone to tell anyone else that they aren't happy? I think that's where I was going, but it was so long ago

I really do think that clothing sizes in relation to people and where we carry our weight is deceiving. A few months back, I weighed more than I ever have in my life, yet I was still in the same sizes as when I weighed 15 pounds less. Weight isn't that great of a gauge of size, IMO. Inches would be a better gauge of sizing, but if you carry most of your weight up top, then you might find yourself in those smaller pants.

I guess there is so much ambiguity and all of that, that I really don't care what size other women wear. Like I said earlier about it, if folks want to lie (famous or not) and it makes them feel better, fine. I am also not one to go around spouting off what size clothing I wear to my friends, so maybe that's it. In fact, I don't think I even talk to my mom about what size I wear, I don't think my husband knows either (other than small/medium/large).
Originally Posted by M2LR;[URL="javascript:void(0)"
Interesting. I am now 5'2 at 135 pounds. And my BMI is 22. Hmm. Some of the comments on this thread regarding what weight we supposedly SHOULD be for our height are so hurtful. And slipping in veiled attempts to be self-aggrandizing about your own figure is pathetic. Telling others how much they should weigh in comparison to themselves. Sad. Just sad!

Here I am in my St. Pauli Girl Halloween Costume




span.jajahWrapper { font-size:1em; color:#B11196; text-decoration:underline; } a.jajahLink { color:#000000; text-decoration:none; } span.jajahInLink:hover { background-color:#B11196; }span.jajahWrapper { font-size:1em; color:#B11196; text-decoration:underline; } a.jajahLink { color:#000000; text-decoration:none; } span.jajahInLink:hover { background-color:#B11196; }
Originally Posted by kindredspirit1983

Kindred, we're around the same height/weight...I don't think I am anywhere near fat, but I think if a lot of people here saw my weight/height on paper, they would think otherwise!


I don't go near scales anymore, and don't pay attention to those charts. If I weighed what they told me I should weigh, I'd look sick.
Sort of generally continuing what CanItBeChristine said...

Body composition is way way WAY more important than weight. However, since figuring out body composition takes at least one other person, weight is an adequate day-to-day indication of trends in your body composition. Still, it may be worthwhile to go to a local gym or college and have your body fat measured a few times a year, if you're trying to alter your body composition.

The two things that are important when it comes to your weight and composition are your happiness and your health.

We all know that carrying extra fat can negatively impact your health. Even beyond cholesterol and insulin, fat has a strong effect on hormone levels. Problems ranging from menstrual spotting to PCOS and infertility can develop. Also, once you get to the point of morbid obesity, the extra weight can damage your joints over time, leading to limited mobility.

However, if you're female and your body fat level is lower than 31%, you're probably in good shape (although something closer to 25% is probably preferable). If you have a healthy body composition, then it doesn't matter whether your figure meets the arbitrary standards of fashion. (Although many slim people have high cholesterol or other health issues associated with extra fat.)

(Edited after Po pointed out a mistake)

Last edited by Eilonwy; 01-31-2009 at 04:46 PM.
863275[/URL]]
863245[/URL]]I am now 5'2 at 135 pounds. And my BMI is 22.
Originally Posted by kindredspirit1983;[URL="javascript:void(0)"
How do you figure? The BMI for those stats is 24.7. (I only checked because I'm 5'3, and I know that my BMI is 22 when I'm at 124 pounds.) You don't look anywhere near borderline-overweight in your photo, though, despite what a BMI of 24.7 suggests.
Originally Posted by Eilonwy;[URL="javascript:void(0)"
*shrug*

Thats what I was told at my last physical. That I have a BMI of 22




span.jajahWrapper { font-size:1em; color:#B11196; text-decoration:underline; } a.jajahLink { color:#000000; text-decoration:none; } span.jajahInLink:hover { background-color:#B11196; }
Curlies add me on myspace!

www.myspace.com/agilruth
I second the body composition thing, Eilonwy.

My lean body mass is 130. At 5'10" and with a large frame, 175 lbs would put me at 24% BF, which is more than an acceptable percentage for a woman. And that would put me at a size 10/12. But my BMI would be 25.1. Hmmm...

eta: I just saw that you said a woman under 20% BF is doing well. Yeah, a little too well! LOL! Unless you're a marathon runner, most healthy women will be above that (between 21% and 31%, although 31% is rather high, IMO!).
3c/4a

Last edited by Po; 01-31-2009 at 04:27 PM.
^^^
You're right, I got mixed up. The typical percentage for female athletes is 16 to 20, and lower than 16 is not advised. It seems that 21-24% is what's recommended, and 31.9% is the cutoff for obesity.
863060[/url]]
I think my original comment up there was more about the comment that a woman wouldn't be happy in her body if she were certain sizes...who is anyone to tell anyone else that they aren't happy? I think that's where I was going, but it was so long ago

I really do think that clothing sizes in relation to people and where we carry our weight is deceiving. A few months back, I weighed more than I ever have in my life, yet I was still in the same sizes as when I weighed 15 pounds less. Weight isn't that great of a gauge of size, IMO. Inches would be a better gauge of sizing, but if you carry most of your weight up top, then you might find yourself in those smaller pants.

I guess there is so much ambiguity and all of that, that I really don't care what size other women wear. Like I said earlier about it, if folks want to lie (famous or not) and it makes them feel better, fine. I am also not one to go around spouting off what size clothing I wear to my friends, so maybe that's it. In fact, I don't think I even talk to my mom about what size I wear, I don't think my husband knows either (other than small/medium/large).
Originally Posted by M2LR;[URL="javascript:void(0)"
Interesting. I am now 5'2 at 135 pounds. And my BMI is 22. Hmm. Some of the comments on this thread regarding what weight we supposedly SHOULD be for our height are so hurtful. And slipping in veiled attempts to be self-aggrandizing about your own figure is pathetic. Telling others how much they should weigh in comparison to themselves. Sad. Just sad!

Here I am in my St. Pauli Girl Halloween Costume



Originally Posted by kindredspirit1983
I've never seen a pic of you before, you are very CUTE!!!

It sounds like you and I are close to the same size as well. And I completely agree with your statement above.
Most of my weight goes to my thighs/butt and breasts.
You say that as if it were a bad thing...
btw..CHF I want your flat tummy...tho more height would be great, as well..lol
Code:
boobies are also good..love that top!
Originally Posted by WileECoyote - The Nudist Poster
It's a good thing for me.

My point was that waist size doesn't always correlate to weight. You can be much heavier and have a tiny waist or even be much lighter and have a bigger waist than someone of the same weight and height.
Originally Posted by Speckla
Yes, true hourglass shaped women are like this. No matter the weight, the waist stays small. I know a few women like this but very few. It is a gorgeous body type but not as forgiving to dress as other body types (since too baggy tops tend to make the body type look overweight or even dumpy; clothes need to be fitted or wrap style with the right fabrics).
"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."

"I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
- Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)
You say that as if it were a bad thing...
btw..CHF I want your flat tummy...tho more height would be great, as well..lol
Code:
boobies are also good..love that top!
Originally Posted by WileECoyote - The Nudist Poster
It's a good thing for me.

My point was that waist size doesn't always correlate to weight. You can be much heavier and have a tiny waist or even be much lighter and have a bigger waist than someone of the same weight and height.
Originally Posted by Speckla
Yes, true hourglass shaped women are like this. No matter the weight, the waist stays small. I know a few women like this but very few. It is a gorgeous body type but not as forgiving to dress as other body types (since too baggy tops tend to make the body type look overweight or even dumpy; clothes need to be fitted or wrap style with the right fabrics).
Originally Posted by curls on holiday
We've had the "hourglass" conversation here before, and I totally agree. The "in" tops right now that have the empire waists, or other types of tops like that look HORRIBLE on me. They do make me look very dumpy, or pregnant. And I am not going for either one of those looks!
If a US size 0 is a UK size 4... what is the US equivalent of the UK size 0? Does the UK not have a size 0? Or are UK women generally smaller than US women? (disregard the general obesity of the country). I can't imagine like a -4 US size for a UK size 0.... Or maybe I'm just totally off.
cowash: Tresemme Naturals
rinse out: Garnier Triple Nutrition
Leave in: Suave naturals, whichever scent I'm into at the moment
gel: Garnier Fructis or LA Looks

3a-3b - high porosity
I believe UK sizes start at 4.
It used to be difficult to find a size 6 here, but it's getting easier. It's not often you'll find a size 4 on the shelves.
Yes, my tail is naturally curly.
No, it was NOT me who cried 'wee wee wee wee wee' all the way home.
It used to be difficult to find a size 6 here, but it's getting easier. It's not often you'll find a size 4 on the shelves.
Originally Posted by Piglet

Meaning that they aren't making them as much anymore, or that they are making them, but they are bought up quickly?
It used to be difficult to find a size 6 here, but it's getting easier. It's not often you'll find a size 4 on the shelves.
Originally Posted by Piglet

Meaning that they aren't making them as much anymore, or that they are making them, but they are bought up quickly?
Originally Posted by M2LR
Size 4s just aren't often made. I think I've only ever seen a size 4 about 3 times in my entire life. Size 6 is being made far more than it used to be. I don't know how quickly size 4s go.
Yes, my tail is naturally curly.
No, it was NOT me who cried 'wee wee wee wee wee' all the way home.
I have never seen a size 4 in the UK. I've seen the odd size 6, but most things start at an 8. I think if I saw something in a size 4 I'd assume it was for a child and was just in the wrong part of the shop.
Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.

Trending Topics


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com