View Poll Results: Would you/did you get a pregnancy HIV test?
Yes 38 88.37%
No 4 9.30%
No, but I wish I had 0 0%
I don't know if I would 1 2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

If you are/were pregnant, do you HIV test?

A cure for AIDS???? I have NEVER heard that.... I have heard that the anti retroviral drugs control HIV but do not eliminate it from the body. Are there new developments since then?

As to anyone being at risk, well yes, that is technically true, but I am about as low risk for AIDS as it gets. Could I have mad cow disease right now? Well, technically anyone could, but since it comes primarily from beef and I've been a vegetarian most of my life, I am very low risk for that too and if they were going to screen people for it, better to target the meat eaters.

I have no problem being tested for things I AM at risk for. Diabetes and high blood pressure are very high in my family and my culture. I have a lot of allergies and was tested and carry an Epi-Pen as I am at risk for anaphylactic shock. But AIDS????? The chances of getting it from a cut are probably less than those of being struck by lightning.
Originally Posted by Amneris
You are right about the odds of getting HIV from a cut. Majority of us are low risk if yo know what the risks are but do we really know what all of the risks are? To each his own. All I know is that I was tested when I was pregnant with my son and since I had a C section I got tested again when he was one.
Black and Puerto Rican 3c Natural since '95 (15). Growing hair to waist. PJ and Certified MAC JUNKIE and a freakin' DEMOCRAT!!! Visit my other page @ www.myspace.com/LipGlassHoney
Me @ 6 mos. looking just like my son
A cure for AIDS???? I have NEVER heard that.... I have heard that the anti retroviral drugs control HIV but do not eliminate it from the body. Are there new developments since then?

As to anyone being at risk, well yes, that is technically true, but I am about as low risk for AIDS as it gets. Could I have mad cow disease right now? Well, technically anyone could, but since it comes primarily from beef and I've been a vegetarian most of my life, I am very low risk for that too and if they were going to screen people for it, better to target the meat eaters.

I have no problem being tested for things I AM at risk for. Diabetes and high blood pressure are very high in my family and my culture. I have a lot of allergies and was tested and carry an Epi-Pen as I am at risk for anaphylactic shock. But AIDS????? The chances of getting it from a cut are probably less than those of being struck by lightning.
Originally Posted by Amneris
Again, there are always going to be people that think, "It will never happen to me."
Originally Posted by M2LR

M2LR, and others, what is making you so defensive about this?
How terrible of a person to actually believe they are at low risk of a disease that is almost exclusively transmitted in 3 ways, 2 of which are lifestyles neither they nor their partner subscribes to or ever has, and one of which is a specific medical treatment neither has had? Oh, and by birth which is obviously no longer an issue?
Come on - of all the people in the world with AIDS, how many got it from dentists or cuts if they are honest with themselves? Should I be worrying more about getting AIDS from a cut, or having cancer or a heart attack?
Is it wrong to say that AIDS is primarily a lifestyle thing? I thought the goal was to take the stigma of AIDS away from racial, sexual, income or geographical groups and transfer the focus of AIDS prevention onto behaviours and lifestyles. I don't practise those behaviours or lifestyles. Does that make those of you who do or have feel threatened?
Honestly I am much more likely to give my children allergies, a tendency to have fibroids, or a risk of diabetes or high blood pressure than AIDS. They and I are more likely to die in a car accident. Let's get real here.
Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali











Amneris, I am not defensive. I am just saying, that as with ANYTHING, there are certain individuals that think, "It will never happen to me." Whether yo uthink that you won't get AIDS because you don't do certain things, or that you won't get Mad Cow because you don't eat meat. Sure, you avoid the things most connected with those two diseases, but ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE. Checking for communicable diseases is NOT a waste of doctor's time, it's their JOB. You can think that you won't ever get cancer because you eat healthy, you won't have a heart attack because of blah blah...the possiblity is LOW, but it's not ZERO.

ETA: Babies being born with AIDS is STILL an issue. Some mothers, such as yourself when/if you become one, may think that they are at such low risk and decline being tested. NOT ALL Doctor's require that you take the test. It's obviously still an issue. Just not at my medical facility, or a few of the others that have posted in this thread. I would hope, as someone else mentioned, that someone who is pregnant would take enough time and care to get tested for various things, in hopes that their baby would be born healthy. It's the same as getting some of the other genetic tests that are suggested required. For example, MOST African American's are required to get tested for Sickle Cell Anemia when they are pregnant. If you carry the gene, your baby can have up to a 50% chance of getting it, higher if your husband has it as well. Why woudl you NOT get that test? Just because no one in your family has had it, doesn't mean that it's not in your genes. AIDS/HIV replicates at the genetic level, that's why is transmitted between mother and child, it's in the blood stream...I just don't see why someone would think that while they might be at LOW risk, why they would chance passing on something like that to their child - and that's what this thread was originally about.

LipGlassHoney - I realize that there is a patent out there, but reading the site, it appears that the first patent appeared in 1983, and the last in 1996. I would be interested as to WHY we haven't heard more on this and the AIDS cases continue to increase. There is a lot of conspiracy theory out there, too, and that AIDS won't ever "publicly" be cured because of the revenue it brings...and all of that. I am more interested in why more people haven't heard of this than anything.
In this day and age, we should be warning our women and girls to be careful no matter what their circumstances are. As someone else said, you are only in control of yourself.

My sister was telling me about Oprah's show on "Men on the Down-low." Oh vey! Unfortunately, it's estimated that 75% of women get AIDS through HETEROSEXUAL sex. Many women believe that they are in a safe, secure, exclusive relationship, when in fact they are not.

I would rather have women telling other women and girls to be safe and get tested, rather than send the message that "you're OK because you found a man who seems alright." If we could all be 100% sure of our partners, there'd be no such thing as divorce, eh?
In this day and age, we should be warning our women and girls to be careful no matter what their circumstances are. As someone else said, you are only in control of yourself.

My sister was telling me about Oprah's show on "Men on the Down-low." Oh vey! Unfortunately, it's estimated that 75% of women get AIDS through HETEROSEXUAL sex. Many women believe that they are in a safe, secure, exclusive relationship, when in fact they are not.

I would rather have women telling other women and girls to be safe and get tested, rather than send the message that "you're OK because you found a man who seems alright." If we could all be 100% sure of our partners, there'd be no such thing as divorce, eh?
Originally Posted by n_y_chic
I second that...couldn't have said it any better...
In this day and age, we should be warning our women and girls to be careful no matter what their circumstances are. As someone else said, you are only in control of yourself.

My sister was telling me about Oprah's show on "Men on the Down-low." Oh vey! Unfortunately, it's estimated that 75% of women get AIDS through HETEROSEXUAL sex. Many women believe that they are in a safe, secure, exclusive relationship, when in fact they are not.

I would rather have women telling other women and girls to be safe and get tested, rather than send the message that "you're OK because you found a man who seems alright." If we could all be 100% sure of our partners, there'd be no such thing as divorce, eh?
Originally Posted by n_y_chic
I second that...couldn't have said it any better...
Originally Posted by coilylocs
Totally. And it's not just meaning that you can't trust those that you love. It's a fact that the only person you control is yourself, and you REALLY aren't with your SO/husband every second of every day...I trust my husband immensely, and there is no way that I think that he would risk EVERYTHING by cheating. However, do I still get tested? You bet...I don't get tested every six months, like I did when I was dating, however, I WILL get tested if I am pregnant. If I can prevent my baby from getting that disease, I will do it. Or anything else that's possibly preventable while the baby is still in utero.
There is a reason why health care professionals wear gloves - things happen. I think it is very unwise to assume that you (in general) are untouchable.
Better everyone think your a fool, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Perception is not reality.

http://public.fotki.com/hmiklos
I wasn't being defensive and I said to each his own. My point is that yes, few people MAY get HIV from dentists or cuts but those few people are still people just like you and I. They probably thought that they would never be one of those people. Also when you say that there are 3 main risk factors, how do you know? You don't. The say that a little piece of knowledge is a dangerous thing. You just know what you've been told and that is dangerous business. I'm also big on genetic counseling as well. All I was trying to say that it ISN'T a waste of time because people want to be sure. If you do it and it's negative it isn't even an "I-told-you-so." type of thing. It's a "so you know" issue. You also have to remember that there are a WHOLE lot of people out there who don't even know that they have it. Exclusive and monogamous relationships are a good thing and because of our faith and commitment I seriously doubt that either of us would EVER cheat. We've been married 5 years but that means nothing. We also have had an ADULT discussion about infidelity and that if either of us ever chose to disrespect our vows and the sanctity of marriage what we would do. We weren't planning for our demise. It was just a necessary premarital discussion.They say ignorance is bliss but I beg to differ.
Black and Puerto Rican 3c Natural since '95 (15). Growing hair to waist. PJ and Certified MAC JUNKIE and a freakin' DEMOCRAT!!! Visit my other page @ www.myspace.com/LipGlassHoney
Me @ 6 mos. looking just like my son
LipGlassHoney - I realize that there is a patent out there, but reading the site, it appears that the first patent appeared in 1983, and the last in 1996. I would be interested as to WHY we haven't heard more on this and the AIDS cases continue to increase. There is a lot of conspiracy theory out there, too, and that AIDS won't ever "publicly" be cured because of the revenue it brings...and all of that. I am more interested in why more people haven't heard of this than anything.
Originally Posted by M2LR
That is a million dollar question. There are a lot of things that we don't know about this society in which we live. That's just like the high blood pressure drug that was proven effective in only black people. They fought HARD not to get it approved, not because it didn't save lives but because it only helped black people. There is just a lot that we don't know. Sorry for getting off topic. Just like we don't really know all the risks for getting HIV or if HIV is the only way to get AIDS.
Black and Puerto Rican 3c Natural since '95 (15). Growing hair to waist. PJ and Certified MAC JUNKIE and a freakin' DEMOCRAT!!! Visit my other page @ www.myspace.com/LipGlassHoney
Me @ 6 mos. looking just like my son
In this day and age, we should be warning our women and girls to be careful no matter what their circumstances are. As someone else said, you are only in control of yourself.

My sister was telling me about Oprah's show on "Men on the Down-low." Oh vey! Unfortunately, it's estimated that 75% of women get AIDS through HETEROSEXUAL sex. Many women believe that they are in a safe, secure, exclusive relationship, when in fact they are not.

I would rather have women telling other women and girls to be safe and get tested, rather than send the message that "you're OK because you found a man who seems alright." If we could all be 100% sure of our partners, there'd be no such thing as divorce, eh?
Originally Posted by n_y_chic
I second that...couldn't have said it any better...
Originally Posted by coilylocs
Well I'm not talking so much about what to tell other people to do - obviously that would not be a good message. I was speaking only about myself.
Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali











I wasn't being defensive and I said to each his own. My point is that yes, few people MAY get HIV from dentists or cuts but those few people are still people just like you and I. They probably thought that they would never be one of those people. Also when you say that there are 3 main risk factors, how do you know? .
Originally Posted by LipGlassHoney
Why are you worried so much about these mostly mythical AIDS risks when the real dangers are in the air that we breathe and the food that we eat... and the makeup and hair products that we use and the roads that we drive on and....
No ignorance is not bliss, but I refuse to live in fear of the what-ifs. I control my body in a healthy way as much as possible and the rest is in God's hands.
Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali











The thing that strikes a chord with me is the 'trust' issue. I think it's admirable to trust your SO 100%, but I also think it's a little naive to think that there is NO WAY something like that could happen to you. I trust my SO as much as I can trust another person, but I firmly believe that the only person you can fully trust is yourself. People are human, they make mistakes in their present, and past lives. I don't have a lack of trust for my SO, but my own health, well being, and safety takes priority over trust I have for someone else. When it comes to me, and my child, my caution isn't due to a lack of trust, but in order to keep yourself safe you need to be AWARE of the world we live in, and the people who live in it. The only way you would KNOW everything about the person you're with, past and present, is if you WERE that person. Everything else is based on faith, and the only person I put that much faith into is God.
~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
Here's another possible cure. I know Dr. Davis, and his son is one of DaNa's best friends. We all went to college together. I don't know how or if this works, but I remember watching the news show on television in DC, and reading articles about it in the papers. I don't like Dr. Davis - I love his son - but if he has something that could work, I hope the government will go ahead and let him do some trials, or he can get something really good going in Ghana.

They went to London and got some investors to help them, and they have been working in Africa lately. Here a little information about this -

http://www.theforbiddenknowledge.com.../aids_cure.htm

http://www.davidicke.net/medicalarch.../aidscure.html

his website is here - http://thechoice.dnsalias.org/mainpage.html
People rise to the standard expected of them. GC
Regarding the AIDS test, I don't at all think I'm at risk, and I know I don't have the disease because I give blood every 8 weeks. Like Amneris said, though, I would give it if the doctors wanted me to for their own peace of mind, not because I AT ALL think there is any reason for me taking the test.

In the back of my mind, too, I'd be happy I had that last test for the sake of the baby. I believe in letting God handle things in conjunction with me utilizing all the tools He's put on Earth for our protection/safety/health.

Faith without works is dead, and in the case of AIDS that could be literal.
People rise to the standard expected of them. GC
I took an HIV test in January just because I wanted one. Two months later, I got pregnant and took another one. I knew there was no chance in me having a new HIV infection but I liked the fact that it could be in my and the baby's medical records that we are in the clear.


"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
Well I'm not talking so much about what to tell other people to do...
Of course not, but for others reading this, your point of view is a good example of why many women end up with HIV ( and divorced, etc). Too many women are totally trusting figuring that they their relationship or lifestyle means that they are totally free from worrying about contracting the virus. Not so. What you think you know, and what's actually going on are sometimes two totally different things.

As one of Oprah's guests said, "As long as you have blood running through your veins, you are at risk."

Granted, you may be at more risk of getting struck by lightning or hit by a car, but that doesn't mean you go sit under trees during a thunderstorm, or walk across the street without looking both ways.
For me, it boils down to the babies health. I'm fairly certain I'm in a low-risk catagory, but will take any test they can give me to ensure good health for the baby, bottomline.
Well I'm not talking so much about what to tell other people to do...
Of course not, but for others reading this, your point of view is a good example of why many women end up with HIV ( and divorced, etc). Too many women are totally trusting figuring that they their relationship or lifestyle means that they are totally free from worrying about contracting the virus. Not so. What you think you know, and what's actually going on are sometimes two totally different things.

As one of Oprah's guests said, "As long as you have blood running through your veins, you are at risk."

Granted, you may be at more risk of getting struck by lightning or hit by a car, but that doesn't mean you go sit under trees during a thunderstorm, or walk across the street without looking both ways.
Originally Posted by n_y_chic
Excellent point.
Black and Puerto Rican 3c Natural since '95 (15). Growing hair to waist. PJ and Certified MAC JUNKIE and a freakin' DEMOCRAT!!! Visit my other page @ www.myspace.com/LipGlassHoney
Me @ 6 mos. looking just like my son
I liked the fact that it could be in my and the baby's medical records that we are in the clear.
Originally Posted by DarkAngel
I liked that thought too... If the birthing situation were to turn serious, I didn't want anyone wasting precious time avoiding risky contact with my blood.
3c, CG Fine hairs, med growth.
Formerly "Rainyday"
Amneris,

I understand where you're coming from about the dentist and finger cuts. I don't know about the other mothers here, but when I was pregnant, I nested severely.

I let the doctors test me for everything they wanted to, even though I knew that nothing was wrong with me or the baby.

I had the chimney swept professionally.

I refused to take Tylenol, despite the fact that the doctors said it was okay. (Incidentally, scientists recently found out that being exposed to acetametaphin in the womb is associated with smaller male genitalia.)

Let's see, I woke my DH up at 3 am one night to tell him that we needed to move the bed in the morning so that I could vacuum underneath it better before the baby was born.

I had a car seat installed by police officers at the local station to make sure it was done right.

I made my husband vacuum the ceiling in the laundry room to encourage potentially baby biting spiders to re-locate.

So, while I wasn't at high risk for AIDs, I was happy to take the HIV test because to me, it was just part of the paranoia that was my baby preparation. Like I said, I can't speak for other mothers, but I think that taking every precaution that the prenatal mother can think of is pretty common.

Trending Topics


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com