CurlTalk

CurlTalk (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/)
-   Non-hair discussion (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/non-hair-discussion/)
-   -   The Official Online Dating Diaries Thread (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/non-hair-discussion/53427-official-online-dating-diaries-thread.html)

cyndi 08-13-2008 06:01 PM

The Official Online Dating Diaries Thread
 
Since so many of us are dating online, we should have a thread to discuss our dates.

I'll go first...

I have a date tonight! He's 31 and lives in Brooklyn. I honestly don't think he's that attractive, but this picture is the reason I winked at him....

http://pictures.match.com/pictures/75/55/66047555H.jpeg

He's 31, lives in Brooklyn, and seems to be on the "artistic" side...totally not my type, but oh well. I agreed to go out with him tonight, but then I remembered that there was a concert that I wanted to go to. Luckily, he thought it was a great idea. So, we're meeting at a little restaurant nearby to grab a drink and then we're going to the concert at nine. Wish me luck!

cyndi 08-13-2008 06:04 PM

Oh, and my match dot com jerk of the day story...

I winked at this guy, he winked back, but his profile didn't say that much about him. So, I asked what he like to do for fun in the city. This is his reply...

Quote:

Hhmmm... YOU maybe... :o)

M******

This was my response...

Quote:

Nice...I know what you're here for....

Idiots!

ninja dog 08-13-2008 06:29 PM

Blech! :snorting:

I'm not dating online, but I sure enjoy the stories.

violets 08-13-2008 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyndi (Post 681888)
Oh, and my match dot com jerk of the day story...

I winked at this guy, he winked back, but his profile didn't say that much about him. So, I asked what he like to do for fun in the city. This is his reply...

Quote:

Hhmmm... YOU maybe... :o)

M******

This was my response...

Quote:

Nice...I know what you're here for....



Idiots!

Cindy, I am not on match but you do get a lot better response if you only contact guys that their profile says long-term. I don't contact anyone that their profile says dating, or hangout or other relationship.
To me, if it doesn't say long term, they are just looking for a fwb's or hook up.

g-stringranny 08-13-2008 09:43 PM

In my age group there are slim pickings. I am spending most of my time turning them down. Tonight one guy said he loved my hair. I really wish I could have loved him. :wink:

Spider 08-14-2008 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g-stringranny (Post 682223)
In my age group there are slim pickings. I am spending most of my time turning them down. Tonight one guy said he loved my hair. I really wish I could have loved him. :wink:


Boy the online dating tales I could tell!! Luckily I did find my husband that way and he cancelled out all the bad, wacky and frustrating dates I had :wink:


Gstring- you like a bit like Ann Wedgeworth (Lana from Three's Company among other shows) in you picture ,but much pretty and curlier! Have you been told that in person??

http://www.celebritynooz.com/watn/im...worth-lana.jpg

http://www.celebritynooz.com/watn/ann_wedgeworth.html

Amandacurls 08-14-2008 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyndi (Post 681885)
Since so many of us are dating online, we should have a thread to discuss our dates.

I'll go first...

I have a date tonight! He's 31 and lives in Brooklyn. I honestly don't think he's that attractive, but this picture is the reason I winked at him....

http://pictures.match.com/pictures/75/55/66047555H.jpeg

He's 31, lives in Brooklyn, and seems to be on the "artistic" side...totally not my type, but oh well. I agreed to go out with him tonight, but then I remembered that there was a concert that I wanted to go to. Luckily, he thought it was a great idea. So, we're meeting at a little restaurant nearby to grab a drink and then we're going to the concert at nine. Wish me luck!

Aw, that little dog is so cute, I love his little face! (Sorry to guano)

deedles 08-14-2008 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spider (Post 682514)
Quote:

Originally Posted by g-stringranny (Post 682223)
In my age group there are slim pickings. I am spending most of my time turning them down. Tonight one guy said he loved my hair. I really wish I could have loved him. :wink:


Boy the online dating tales I could tell!! Luckily I did find my husband that way and he cancelled out all the bad, wacky and frustrating dates I had :wink:


Gstring- you like a bit like Ann Wedgeworth (Lana from Three's Company among other shows) in you picture ,but much pretty and curlier! Have you been told that in person??

http://www.celebritynooz.com/watn/im...worth-lana.jpg

http://www.celebritynooz.com/watn/ann_wedgeworth.html

I was actually thinking she looks like Lesley Anne Warren..

:)

TK* 08-14-2008 10:13 AM

To the OP:

My best friend is doing online dating but she's going to online dating sites and not getting much luck (She's 40) I've never gone to an online dating site but I did meet my current SO online. Try to join a forum that you're interested in to meet people...the relationship date sites attract guys like that @sshole you were talking about. Good luck with it!

Keewee 08-14-2008 10:21 AM

What I want to know is they talk about woman but what is it with these men and going shirtless and the photos that some of them load up, my goodness.. Keep your shirts on.. I had met this guy on match a couple of years ago and (very goodlooking) but if you saw his profile he had at least 20 pics of himself, I mean really..Sometimes I wonder if they put up all those pictures for self confidence reasons.. I would love to put his search name here so you can look for yourself.On Match, I mean it is public viewing..

Starrwithoutnite 08-14-2008 11:56 AM

I do the online dating thing for kicks! I have paid for Yahoo personals, match and chemistry.com...but for fun I hang with PlentyofFish.com, its free. It looks like I have 3 dates this weekend if they all call. Friday is with a hottie but he lives about 50 minutes away. Saturday afternoon coffee is with a fellow curly that is really funny. I think I like him the best. And Saturday night is with some guy who I have not talked to in a while who called out of the blue and I figured I would give him a chance...
Ill be able to fill in the drama after the dates!

Good luck with yours Cyndi!

wild~hair 08-14-2008 12:01 PM

I peruse the sites, but I can never bring myself to pay for any of them, so things never progress.

plentyoffish is free, but I never found anyone I was really interested in on there.

I am willing to admit that my attitude sucks! Online dating doesn't feel like anything but a chore to me. I resort to it when things IRL get to be desert-like in the man department. Then things pick up IRL and I drop online like the bad habit that it is [for me anyway].

Amandacurls 08-14-2008 12:02 PM

Those of you who do online dating, which sites would you recommend or stay away from?

NetG 08-14-2008 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wild~hair (Post 682727)
I am willing to admit that my attitude sucks! Online dating doesn't feel like anything but a chore to me. I resort to it when things IRL get to be desert-like in the man department. Then things pick up IRL and I drop online like the bad habit that it is [for me anyway].

Same here. IF I'm looking at a profile, rather than a person, I'm looking with a checklist in mind. Honestly, men online just rarely seem the least bit appealing.

If I'm going through too much real-life dating slump, I do speed dating. I've found I end up going on dates with 1/4 to 1/3 of the guys I meet there, because I'm more open when meeting actual humans, not facing a computer screen. I have some kind of fun speed dating stories...

Starrwithoutnite 08-14-2008 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amandacurls (Post 682732)
Those of you who do online dating, which sites would you recommend or stay away from?

I think that as long as you are smart about it any site is fine. I tried the sites you pay for but I didnt find a 'greater caliber' of guy. There are normal guys on the free sites. But the free sites do get alot of wierdos...but they normally show thier true colors pretty fast. Asking for more pictures, wants to meet RIGHT AWAY for drinks...doesnt have much info in their profile. Im a PRO when it comes to online dating ;) Its keeping them around for longer than 6 weeks that has me stumped...

wild~hair 08-14-2008 12:11 PM

netG, since we're similar in this way, perhaps I should try speed dating next time I'm in a slump.

NetG 08-14-2008 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wild~hair (Post 682751)
netG, since we're similar in this way, perhaps I should try speed dating next time I'm in a slump.



It's definitely worth checking out! I use predating speed dating, which is associated with Ok Cupid now. So there's a month of free internet dating which I just don't use. They let you choose whether or not to communicate with the guys online so they don't give out any of your contact info.


I don't know what it's like in other places, but I have found the speed dating here is almost all educated professionals. I've met professors, hotel managers, lawyers, bankers, teachers, marketing guy for a bookstore chain, and many engineers. Tucson is NOT high in professionals compared to blue-collar type jobs, so the ratio at speed dating is surprisingly high.


My favorite story was the guy who said he was a chef, with a snooty air. And it turned out he specifically cut up vegetables at an old folks' home. When he walked in (early) he looks around and I'm the only female in the room, and says "well, typical women are going to be fashionably late." The woman running the thing and I just looked at each other... When he got to my station, he said he likes eating out at nice restaurants, looks me up and down and says "I can tell you do, too." Umm.... wow. He then spent far too much time bragging about how he had a really nice car. Given I had parked next to a different guy who drove up in a Corvette (and didn't mention his car) I was curious what this guy drove. Turned out, it was about a 5 year old Prelude. Now, I wouldn't think LESS of a guy for driving a Prelude. But I did think less of him for bragging about his fancy car...

wild~hair 08-14-2008 12:41 PM

Yeah, good for some anecdotes at least, huh?

It's always interesting to identify those single people IRL or online *where you can see so obviously why they're still single, but the source of the problem completely eludes them. They carry their baggage in plain view, for any and all to see.

I'm always grateful because it gives me a clear signal to keep looking.

Josephine 08-14-2008 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NetG (Post 682780)
My favorite story was the guy who said he was a chef, with a snooty air. And it turned out he specifically cut up vegetables at an old folks' home. When he walked in (early) he looks around and I'm the only female in the room, and says "well, typical women are going to be fashionably late." The woman running the thing and I just looked at each other... When he got to my station, he said he likes eating out at nice restaurants, looks me up and down and says "I can tell you do, too." Umm.... wow. He then spent far too much time bragging about how he had a really nice car. Given I had parked next to a different guy who drove up in a Corvette (and didn't mention his car) I was curious what this guy drove. Turned out, it was about a 5 year old Prelude. Now, I wouldn't think LESS of a guy for driving a Prelude. But I did think less of him for bragging about his fancy car...


LOL! A prelude??! One of my friends did the speed dating thing once and the guy told her 'well you definitely like to talk, don't you?'.

There is actually this convention thing in Ohio that my sister is going to and my mom is pressuring me to go where you go to meet guys and they have speed dating. I wanted to go at first but now I'm thinking it's going to be a waste and a bunch of not my type people. Urgh..

NetG 08-14-2008 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wild~hair (Post 682802)
Yeah, good for some anecdotes at least, huh?

It's always interesting to identify those single people IRL or online *where you can see so obviously why they're still single, but the source of the problem completely eludes them. They carry their baggage in plain view, for any and all to see.

I'm always grateful because it gives me a clear signal to keep looking.

Yeah, those are the easy ones!

I just thought the guy who did marketing for a bookstore was the COOLEST guy. I thought it was an awesome job. He also wrote books in his free time. For some reason, though, I made him very insecure. It was too bad, because if he'd thought he was as cool as I thought he was, I think we would have gotten along really well!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com