Lindsay Lohan calls Obama "First coloured president."

This is becoming a trend for her. She said something similar during the whole fiasco with her jumping in the SUV and following someone. She mentioned something about the colored people in the SUV. I can't remember the details.
Hmm, I had no idea it was offensive. Old fashioned, yeah, but I didn't know it was bad to say. I do know some people don't like to call Barack Obama "black" because he is half-white as well. So that would have been the first thing I thought of hearing "colored." But I don't really know enough about the topic and history of the term to make a judgement call as to what she might have meant.
*Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
FWIW, I'm not crazy about the term "people of color" either, but IMO it sounds better than "minorities", which is often the alternative.
Originally Posted by Gemini13
I don't like the term "minorities." At all.

But I do refer to myself as a woman of color. My experience in this world is shaped more by the color of my skin, than by my Hispanic heritage.
Edited due to a cyberstalker. Sorry, guys.

Last edited by Koukla72; 02-18-2009 at 04:14 PM.
I had no idea the term "colored" was coming back. Bravo, if no one's offended by it. When I read about Lindsay calling Obama colored it cracked me up. Honestly, I think Lindsay had a moment of ignorance, or maybe I'm having a moment of ignorance since I didn't know colored was coming back. My mother has always said colored, and still does. She definitely doesn't mean harm by it.
3a/medium texture/normal porosity
I had no idea the term "colored" was coming back.
Originally Posted by hmkenny
??? I really don't think it is.
Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
HG products:
Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
That's interesting to me, I hadn't realized some people take offense to that word. Is it because when you add up all the so-called minorities they're not such a minority anymore or because of the connotations of the word "minor", regardless of the statistical meaning of the word "minority"?
Originally Posted by Koukla72
Both.
FWIW, I'm not crazy about the term "people of color" either, but IMO it sounds better than "minorities", which is often the alternative.
Originally Posted by Gemini13
I don't like the term "minorities." At all.

But I do refer to myself as a woman of color. My experience in this world is shaped more by the color of my skin, than by my Hispanic heritage.
Originally Posted by medussa
You know, I definitely see your point and feel that it's true to a large degree for me as well. Esp. since I am of "ambiguous ethnicity", as some of my friends and I call it. The color of my skin has definitely shaped a lot of my experiences more than my race has.
Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
HG products:
Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
FWIW, I'm not crazy about the term "people of color" either, but IMO it sounds better than "minorities", which is often the alternative.
Originally Posted by Gemini13
I don't like the term "minorities." At all.

But I do refer to myself as a woman of color. My experience in this world is shaped more by the color of my skin, than by my Hispanic heritage.
Originally Posted by medussa
That's interesting to me, I hadn't realized some people take offense to that word. Is it because when you add up all the so-called minorities they're not such a minority anymore or because of the connotations of the word "minor", regardless of the statistical meaning of the word "minority"? Or something else? I'm not being snarky, just wondering.
Originally Posted by Koukla72
No problem- I wouldn't have taken that as snarky at all. Personally I do not consider it to be offensive, but it is a little cringe-worthy. I've never really given it that much thought, but it feels a little... condescending. And like you said, it's becoming less and less true every day.

ETA: I also don't think of the word "colored" as necessarily offensive either... but honestly it does sound ignorant to me.
Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
HG products:
Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls

Last edited by Gemini13; 11-13-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Edited due to a cyberstalker. Sorry, guys.

Last edited by Koukla72; 02-18-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Some people find it offensive because of its history. Like the n-word. It's reminiscent of the Jim Crow days.

When I think of the term "colored", I think of this:




Am I personally offended, no. I guess the offense would depend on its usage. I've heard the term used in a derogatory tone, and the intent WAS to be offensive.
A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shyygirl_2007/
PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee!

http://naturalurbanista.blogspot.com/

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. http://tinyurl.com/3yxneol

DC metro area
Thank you. That's something I'll have to think about.
Originally Posted by Koukla72
Ha! I was standing in my kitchen a minute ago thinking about our exchange and came back to write that offensive isn't the right word. I was going to write that it makes me cringe and then I saw Gemini13's post.

Cosigning everything she wrote in her last post.
Edited due to a cyberstalker. Sorry, guys.

Last edited by Koukla72; 02-18-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Thank you. That's something I'll have to think about.
Originally Posted by Koukla72
Ha! I was standing in my kitchen a minute ago thinking about our exchange and came back to write that offensive isn't the right word. I was going to write that it makes me cringe and then I saw Gemini13's post.

Cosigning everything she wrote in her last post.
Originally Posted by medussa
Hehe, great minds...
Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
HG products:
Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
Along the same lines, does anyone think the NAACP should update the name of the organization?
Off topic (kinda), but have any of you read Lohan's blogs?? Hahahaha. It is SO obvious that she is paying someone to write them.
Along the same lines, does anyone think the NAACP should update the name of the organization?
Originally Posted by gemini
yes!

but if they change their name, they would have to constantly follow it with "the organization formerly known as the NAACP."
Colored doesn't offend me. I just think Lindsay does things for attention, not because she's some uber enlightened being or whatever.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
I dont know her or interact with her so nothing she says can offend me.

What I am stunned by is that some of you ladies use this word or think its "cute" or okay. If you wouldnt use it to refer to a non-white person to their face then I think that should clue you in that the word doesnt have a benign connotation.


for the record "colored" is not making a comeback

(backing away from my keyboard still stunned)
I find coloured offensive. I don't know if she is stupid, uninformed, trying to get attention or what.

Obama is our President. He is a man. I voted for the man, not the color of his skin.
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."

Trending Topics


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com