Go Back   CurlTalk > Life > Non-hair discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2008, 09:22 PM   #1
 
Jessicurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,800
Default Made Irish Cream for christmas presents. YUM! And Easy!

I know some of you ladies like to make stuff so I wanted to share this with you. I'm sure lots of you knew that you could make your own Irish Cream, but it just never dawned on me until I happened upon a recipe online. So, today I got all the stuff, went to the home brew store for some 6oz bottles and made it. And Oh. My. God. It's SO good!! I knew I'd be giving it to at least 20 people, so I made a big batch. I say just make the big batch because once you try it you'll wish you had more anyway. I made some cute labels for it and think it'll go over very well as a holiday gift. Here's the recipe. It's VERY easy!

4 cups half and half
2 (14 ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
1 bottle (750 ml) whiskey (I used Jameson's, of course. )
1 can evaporated milk
half cup very strong coffee. (or you can use instant coffee, just make sure to dissolve it well first. I made super strong coffee in a french press.)
4 tablespoons Chocolate Syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons coconut extract

Blend and refrigerate. It's said to taste better after sitting for a few weeks, and should last for anohter month or so in the fridge. Except for at my house. Where it will be lucky to last a week.
__________________
If you're not going to make your dreams epic, why bother to dream anything at all? -Scott Miller
Jessicurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:26 PM   #2
 
RedCatWaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 31,612
Default

That sounds yummy. I don't suppose they would make good teacher gifts though...they kinda frown on alcohol in grade school...party poopers...
RedCatWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:29 PM   #3
 
Jessicurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,800
Default

Hell, I bet teachers would need it and appreciate it the most!
__________________
If you're not going to make your dreams epic, why bother to dream anything at all? -Scott Miller
Jessicurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:47 PM   #4
 
Poodlehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 9,278
Default

Give it to them on the last day of school before break, at the end of the school day. They can party.
__________________
Minneapolis, MN
Poodlehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:07 AM   #5
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,735
Default

Bunch of questions!
-How big a can of evaporated milk?
-How much did this batch make?
-What should I suggest serving it with (aside from alone )

Sounds DELICIOUS and cheap! I'm excited to make it!
__________________
"Life is full of beauty. Notice it. Notice the bumble bee, the small child, and the smiling faces. Smell the rain, and feel the wind. Live your life to the fullest potential, and fight for your dreams.
Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:13 AM   #6
 
Curly Girl Fla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,005
Default

That sounds wonderful-and it would NOT last, around me, anyway. Do you have a picture of the type of bottles you use for the gifts? I may have to try this...
Curly Girl Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:53 AM   #7
 
Boomygrrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,910
Default

Great idea!!! I just might try it. Last year, a friend made us a cinnamon gel-like drink (it was thick but it was yummy). It was a nice idea. Maybe I can return the favor for her (and other friends...and for me, especially *hiccup*) and make some this year.
__________________
That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.


3a/3b
Boomygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:25 AM   #8
 
misspam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,192
Default

This sounds very tasty.

Thanks Jess!
__________________
misspam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:20 PM   #9
 
xcptnl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13,145
Default

Would this be used like Baily's Irish Cream?
__________________
Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
xcptnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:56 PM   #10
 
Naya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 920
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicurl View Post
I know some of you ladies like to make stuff so I wanted to share this with you. I'm sure lots of you knew that you could make your own Irish Cream, but it just never dawned on me until I happened upon a recipe online. So, today I got all the stuff, went to the home brew store for some 6oz bottles and made it. And Oh. My. God. It's SO good!! I knew I'd be giving it to at least 20 people, so I made a big batch. I say just make the big batch because once you try it you'll wish you had more anyway. I made some cute labels for it and think it'll go over very well as a holiday gift. Here's the recipe. It's VERY easy!

4 cups half and half
2 (14 ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
1 bottle (750 ml) whiskey (I used Jameson's, of course. )
1 can evaporated milk
half cup very strong coffee. (or you can use instant coffee, just make sure to dissolve it well first. I made super strong coffee in a french press.)
4 tablespoons Chocolate Syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons coconut extract

Blend and refrigerate. It's said to taste better after sitting for a few weeks, and should last for anohter month or so in the fridge. Except for at my house. Where it will be lucky to last a week.
OMG (random and off topic) but are you the ACTUAL Jessica from www.jessicurl.com???

If so *insert shrill scream* I didn't know you posted here! I LOOOOOVEEEE your products and have been singing their praises!!!

Back on topic:

Did you use light or dark vanilla? Or does it not matter?
__________________
BC: May 2008
Hair Type:
3C/4A mix I think
http://members.fotki.com/RizadaMinicana
Not Updated D:

Vegan-ish

Naya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:31 PM   #11
 
Jessicurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naya View Post
OMG (random and off topic) but are you the ACTUAL Jessica from www.jessicurl.com???

If so *insert shrill scream* I didn't know you posted here! I LOOOOOVEEEE your products and have been singing their praises!!!

Back on topic:

Did you use light or dark vanilla? Or does it not matter?
That's me, yep. I was posting here before I even started my biz, and it's because of NaturallyCurly that I even did. I'm so glad you like my stuff!

I just used whatever vanilla I had at home, so I don't think it matters. You can leave out the coconut, replace it with mint...whatever. I mean really, how badly could one mess up whiskey and cream??

I'll take and post those pics I promised when I get home.
__________________
If you're not going to make your dreams epic, why bother to dream anything at all? -Scott Miller
Jessicurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:33 PM   #12
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,314
Default

How much does this recipe make?
kat180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:34 PM   #13
 
Jessicurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,800
Default

What the heck, most of my other reply didn't post. I hope this works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
Bunch of questions!
-How big a can of evaporated milk?
-How much did this batch make?
-What should I suggest serving it with (aside from alone )

Sounds DELICIOUS and cheap! I'm excited to make it!
The standard size of evaporated milk. 12 ounces I think? It made a lot. I figure I have to give it to around 20 people or so. I mixed it all in a big pitcher that's probably a gallon, and it's about 3/4 full or so? I can take a pic of the container later before I bottle it so you can see, since there are no measurements on the container . I'd consider serving it with ice. But also coffee liquor for mudslides, baking with it, Irish Cream milkshakes, in coffee... on and on. If you Google Bailye's and recipes you can get some more ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Girl Fla View Post
Do you have a picture of the type of bottles you use for the gifts? I may have to try this...
I'll take one later at home with the labels I made. Doesn't hurt that my last name is McGuinty. They're like small green wine bottles kinda. They're perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcptnl View Post
Would this be used like Baily's Irish Cream?
Yup!
__________________
If you're not going to make your dreams epic, why bother to dream anything at all? -Scott Miller
Jessicurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:18 PM   #14
 
va_candi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 849
Default

Thanks for sharing the recipe! I decided a month ago that everyone was getting a homemade gift this year (e.g., something baked). This is a great idea for the adults in my life.
va_candi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:52 PM   #15
 
goldencurly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 8,179
Default

This sounds yummy! Minus the coconut for me (allergies) I'll go with mint.

Thanks for posting this!

I'll probably not bottle it, just serve it at our family Christmas party
goldencurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 04:21 PM   #16
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,314
Default

Do you know the amounts for a smaller recipe? Usually its easy enough to figure out but these could be a little more awkward. I'd like to make it as a present for my parents-but dont really have anyone else to give it to.

I also dont understand the first line

'4 cups half and half' ? Thanks
kat180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 04:29 PM   #17
 
Jessicurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat180 View Post
Do you know the amounts for a smaller recipe? Usually its easy enough to figure out but these could be a little more awkward. I'd like to make it as a present for my parents-but dont really have anyone else to give it to.

I also dont understand the first line

'4 cups half and half' ? Thanks
Here's a different recipe that is in much smaller amounts. Not sure how it tastes but I'd imagine it's similar. That first line in my recipe above means 4 cups of half and half. Here's the smaller recipe I found:
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
  • 3/4 cup and 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon Irish whiskey
  • 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granules
  • 1 tablespoon chocolate syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
__________________
If you're not going to make your dreams epic, why bother to dream anything at all? -Scott Miller
Jessicurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 04:32 PM   #18
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,314
Default

Thank you- I may try that recipe- although I imagine buying the whisky might be expensive- and i ahve no idea which one to buy.

What is half and half? I assume it is some type of ingredient but I have not heard of it. Perhaps it is called something different over here. Im guessing some soft of cream?
kat180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 04:33 PM   #19
 
Saria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,877
Default

Kat180, half and half is half milk and half cream. You can do your own mix, or maybe just use single cream? I know dairy is a bit different in the UK.
__________________
Saria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:14 PM   #20
 
KurlyKae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,971
Default

This sounds so good, in fact, I nearly bought a bottle of Bailey's this week! Thanks, Jess.

RCW-I thought the very same thing about giving it to teachers...after all they have to spend their days trying to teach my children!
KurlyKae is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Trending Topics[-]hide

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com