CurlTalk

CurlTalk (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/)
-   Non-hair discussion (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/non-hair-discussion/)
-   -   Tuna Salad (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/non-hair-discussion/69236-tuna-salad.html)

Peppy 02-21-2009 12:28 PM

Tuna Salad
 
I'm about to make some. Tell me what you put in yours and give me some new ideas!

cympreni 02-21-2009 12:47 PM

mayo
sweet relish
hand mashed hard boiled eggs
tuna

Peppy 02-21-2009 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cympreni (Post 883089)
mayo
sweet relish
hand mashed hard boiled eggs
tuna


That's exactly how I make it!

medussa 02-21-2009 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peppy (Post 883097)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cympreni (Post 883089)
mayo
sweet relish
hand mashed hard boiled eggs
tuna


That's exactly how I make it!

I usually put the sweet relish on after I prepare it. In the bowl, I just throw in mayo and a bit chopped onion.

Do people put chopped apple in tuna salad? I have a vague recollection of some type of salad that had mayo and apples in it.

cympreni 02-21-2009 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peppy (Post 883097)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cympreni (Post 883089)
mayo
sweet relish
hand mashed hard boiled eggs
tuna


That's exactly how I make it!

Cool! I was a bit worried how strange it would be. I learned few recipes from my grandma growing up and this was one of them. She didn't really know how to cook and no natural knack to make up for it either. Rather then admit she it, she would guess, often not very well. I've gotten a few surprises as a result. For example: in that tuna salad replace the tuna with mashed potatoes and that's what I was thought was potato salad growing up.

Rebecca deWinter 02-21-2009 01:23 PM

mmm i love tuna salad.

i mix:

drained flaked tuna
chopped red onion
chopped celery
white pepper
mayo


mmm mmm good!

ursula 02-21-2009 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cympreni (Post 883089)
mayo
sweet relish
hand mashed hard boiled eggs
tuna

That sounds so good to me!

ursula 02-21-2009 01:30 PM

I've also had tuna salad made with golden raisins. Usually also with curry.

love yourself first 02-21-2009 01:36 PM

I don't like mayo so I use a little vinegar and oil instead, and sometimes avocado to bind.

The handmashed hardboiled eggs sounds sooo good! I never ever thought of that.

For mustard, I like to experiment with different types spread on crackers or bread, not mixed in. I love mustard.

cympreni 02-21-2009 01:48 PM

For those of you intrigued by the hard boiled eggs, you can also slice a few long ways and use them as garish for parties.

rudeechick 02-21-2009 01:51 PM

Its odd but its out of this world. It involves chinese noodles and olives and water chestnuts... its a great tuna salad for luncheons or company.
if anyone is interested I can post the recipe.

rudeechick 02-21-2009 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca deWinter (Post 883127)
mmm i love tuna salad.

i mix:

drained flaked tuna
chopped red onion
chopped celery
white pepper
mayo


mmm mmm good!

When I am making it for myself at home that how I like it. My Mom is convinced that white pepper is unhealthy???? no clue.... i love it in all my salads.

RedCatWaves 02-21-2009 02:43 PM

I like to put a little something sweet in my tuna salad, so I use chopped apple pieces, raisins, dried cranberries, or dried blueberries. Sometimes I add chopped nuts (any type...walnuts or almonds usually). And I always put in chopped celery and mayonaise. Toasted sesame seeds are a nice addition too.

roseannadana 02-21-2009 02:47 PM

Tuna, red onion, finely chopped celery, chopped hard boiled eggs, mayo, diced pickles or relish.

webjockey 02-21-2009 03:53 PM

Sometimes I go traditional - mayo (or miracle whip), celery, onion, salt, pepper,

Lately I've been doing capers, olive oil, lemon juice, fresh parsley, shallots, garlic

Has anyone ever done cottage cheese with it? I've seen it on the internet but I'm too scared to try it.

love yourself first 02-21-2009 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webjockey (Post 883270)

Lately I've been doing capers, olive oil, lemon juice, fresh parsley, shallots, garlic

Yes! :thumright:

anonnymouse 02-21-2009 06:25 PM

tuna
mayo
chopped onion
chopped celery

StrawberiCurls 02-22-2009 09:54 AM

Mine's pretty different than most, but I LOVE it and its so healthy and ridiculously filling. This is the one I have in my fridge now:

2 cans Tuna
1/3 cup Greek yogurt (its not sweet like reg. yogurt)
~2 Tbsp. Spicy brown mustard
~2 Tbsp. salsa
Celery
Dark red kidney beans
Bell peppers


...Usually I chop up whatever veggies I have in my fridge and throw em into a bowl with the tuna. Its so delish on a wrap or with lettuce in a salad!

love yourself first 02-22-2009 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StrawberiCurls (Post 883814)
Mine's pretty different than most, but I LOVE it and its so healthy and ridiculously filling. This is the one I have in my fridge now:

2 cans Tuna
1/3 cup Greek yogurt (its not sweet like reg. yogurt)
~2 Tbsp. Spicy brown mustard
~2 Tbsp. salsa
Celery
Dark red kidney beans
Bell peppers


...Usually I chop up whatever veggies I have in my fridge and throw em into a bowl with the tuna. Its so delish on a wrap or with lettuce in a salad!

This sounds great! (although I might play around with bean substitutions). Thanks for posting this recipe :)

spring1onu 02-22-2009 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rudeechick (Post 883147)
Its odd but its out of this world. It involves chinese noodles and olives and water chestnuts... its a great tuna salad for luncheons or company.
if anyone is interested I can post the recipe.

Yes, please. :D


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com