Go Back   CurlTalk > Life > Non-hair discussion

View Poll Results: Did you have a c-section?
Yes, for medical reasons 12 85.71%
Yes, for other reasons 2 14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2006, 02:55 PM   #41
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,150
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Curls
I did it the old-fashioned way and I still have a flat tummy (when I stand up ), I healed within weeks (no tearing or episiotomy) and I am definitely very close to being the same down there. Obviously, with the tummy, I had genetics on my side, but I know that the weight loss came from the breast-feeding. I also watched my sugar intake at the end of the pregnancy so that my child turned out 7.6 lbs, which is manageable.
My first pregnancy, I ate sooo healthy. I took all my vitamins. I ate a ton of veggies. My baby was almost 7 pounds even though she was born at 35 weeks. Her dad was a 10-pounder. There's only so much you can control through diet, then genetics come into play.
Yes, that's why I was asking about diabetes. I think that women with gestational diabetes or existing conditions deliver larger babies. Either that or the babies who are large tend to acquire diabetes. I'm not sure. Of course not ALL large deliveries are associated with diabetes or sugar, but I know that it is a common factor.
~915~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 03:23 PM   #42
 
medussa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 20,269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosecurls
Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote - Daddy's grl
I can't believe someone would have an elective c-section...
I plan on it if we have another baby that is measuring large like Betsy. Generally 2nd & 3rd babies are larger than the 1st so that would put me at having a 12 or 13 lb baby. Sorry but no thank you! Judge all you want!
Dude, your c-section and your future ones aren't really elective. When I think of an elective C, I'm thinking of a woman who has a non-medical reason for wanting a c-section.
medussa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 03:28 PM   #43
 
medussa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 20,269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateCurls
It's my understanding from the women that I know personally who've had c-sections that the scar tissue prevents the tummy from going flat again. The c-sections that I know are all a little chubby in general because of the old story of their milk not coming in (because of the c-section) and needing to bottle feed on top of it all.
I've never heard of a c-section preventing milk coming in.
Ditto. The only thing I've really heard about was some discomfort related to the stitches. Breastfeeding really helps the uterus shrink back to size. Those cramps in the early days are a ******. I would imagine there's some discomfort when you've also got stitches, from the c-section.
medussa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 04:07 PM   #44
 
loosecurls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 4,175
Send a message via Yahoo to loosecurls
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by medussa
Quote:
Originally Posted by loosecurls
Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote - Daddy's grl
I can't believe someone would have an elective c-section...
I plan on it if we have another baby that is measuring large like Betsy. Generally 2nd & 3rd babies are larger than the 1st so that would put me at having a 12 or 13 lb baby. Sorry but no thank you! Judge all you want!
Dude, your c-section and your future ones aren't really elective. When I think of an elective C, I'm thinking of a woman who has a non-medical reason for wanting a c-section.
So I'm NOT being selfish because I dont want to be on Good Morning America for just having given birth to a 13 lb baby?! LOL


RE: C sections delaying your milk coming in---It took a week for my milk to come in. My dr seemed to think it was due to the pain meds (percocet) I was on for the C section.
__________________
Slinky's rule for NC.com:

I suppose I can't judge you because you married a serviceman and it is wartime. Boo hoo. You must be loney sitting at home with nothing else to do but pick on people. Why don't you go masterbate again?
loosecurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 04:53 PM   #45
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 21,361
Default

A word about famous women, while we may know they had C sections unless they actually come right out and say "and I got my fat sucked out too" we can't really KNOW. So don't assume.

I had a section - I had a baby who was big (8lbs 10 oz on the first day of my 36th week) and breech and my BP was scary high. I'd never had high BP in my life or pregnancy until about my 34th week and it just would not go down. I was packing on 2 to 3 lbs of fluid a DAY sometimes and it wasn't going away either.

Personally, I don't have a problem with elective sections. Not my business how someone else wants to have her baby.
CGNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 04:55 PM   #46
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,150
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosecurls
RE: C sections delaying your milk coming in---It took a week for my milk to come in. My dr seemed to think it was due to the pain meds (percocet) I was on for the C section.
Yes, studies show that c-sections delay the milk. That was a huge factor in my refusing to have one. Delay is a more accurate word than prevent. But, by the time the milk comes in with a c-section, the babies often have gotten used to the bottle, thereby making breastfeeding a bigger challenge.

Like I said before, no one whose had a c-section wants to hear all the negatives associated with it. This conversation is going to turn into everyone defending and explaining their personal choices.
~915~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 05:14 PM   #47
 
medussa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 20,269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGNYC
A word about famous women, while we may know they had C sections unless they actually come right out and say "and I got my fat sucked out too" we can't really KNOW. So don't assume.
I know for a fact, that SJP had some work done after a C. But with regard to other celebrities, we'll never know. But I have my suspicions.
medussa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 05:17 PM   #48
 
Aphro-Deeziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 2,565
Send a message via MSN to Aphro-Deeziac Send a message via Yahoo to Aphro-Deeziac
Default

i had three c sections and my milk came in heavy for all three right away. I looked like pam anderson.
__________________
Aphro-Deeziac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 05:52 PM   #49
 
loosecurls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 4,175
Send a message via Yahoo to loosecurls
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Curls
Quote:
Originally Posted by loosecurls
Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote - Daddy's grl
I can't believe someone would have an elective c-section...
I plan on it if we have another baby that is measuring large like Betsy. Generally 2nd & 3rd babies are larger than the 1st so that would put me at having a 12 or 13 lb baby. Sorry but no thank you! Judge all you want!
12 or 13 lb babies are a necessary c-section in my opinion. I wouldn't begrudge you a c-section. Did you or do you have diabetes?
CC----I'm sorry--I missed this reply. I had Gestational Diabetes that was controlled by diet & medication (glyburide which is an oral med---I am a wuss about needles & REFUSED to give myself insulin). Traditionally GD babies tend to be on the large side. That being said, large babies run in my family. My dad was 10 lbs when he was born in 1931. My Mom is a twin--both of whom were 7 1/2 lbs each. I was 8 lbs myself. My dr was of the opinion that Betsy's size was partly the GD but most likely genetics & good prenatal care on my part.
__________________
Slinky's rule for NC.com:

I suppose I can't judge you because you married a serviceman and it is wartime. Boo hoo. You must be loney sitting at home with nothing else to do but pick on people. Why don't you go masterbate again?
loosecurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:32 PM   #50
 
Rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,096
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Curls

Yes, that's why I was asking about diabetes. I think that women with gestational diabetes or existing conditions deliver larger babies. Either that or the babies who are large tend to acquire diabetes. I'm not sure. Of course not ALL large deliveries are associated with diabetes or sugar, but I know that it is a common factor.
I didn't have diabetes and my babies didn't either. They were big but not fat. Being preemies, they hadn't put on their baby fat yet. They had little chicken legs for the first month. They were amazingly healthy for preemies too. I took my first home with my after five days and the second came home after just a couple days. We were lucky.
__________________
3a/b, fine, lots of it
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:55 PM   #51
 
picklesgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,369
Send a message via Yahoo to picklesgirl
Default

I was so wanting a c-section when i was pregnant I'm a huge wimp and didn't want to go through the pain. When I went in to have my ultrasound done they discoverd that the placenta was clear down by my cervex and if I delivered normally I would hemmerage (spelling you know bleed to death) so I was like yes i get to have a c-sectiom then with the next ultrasound the found that the placenta had moved and I could now go on and have a normal birth. Anyway to make a long story short I am so glad I didn't have to have a c-section I healed so fast after giving birth. I was sitting indian style on the couch after like 3 or 4 days and sitting on the floor when he was a week old. And I know after a c-section it takes longer to heal.
picklesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:11 PM   #52
 
DarkAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Curls

It's my understanding from the women that I know personally who've had c-sections that the scar tissue prevents the tummy from going flat again. The c-sections that I know are all a little chubby in general because of the old story of their milk not coming in (because of the c-section) and needing to bottle feed on top of it all.
I can only speak for myself but my stomach is perfectly flat after my c-section. I wore my bikini proudly today at the pool. I wasn't able to breastfeed because my preemie son never latched but my milk came in on the 2nd or 3rd day after his birth. I'm still pumping milk for the greedy kid 7 months later.
__________________


"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
DarkAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:20 PM   #53
 
Meghuney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 9,368
Send a message via AIM to Meghuney
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Curls

It's my understanding from the women that I know personally who've had c-sections that the scar tissue prevents the tummy from going flat again. The c-sections that I know are all a little chubby in general because of the old story of their milk not coming in (because of the c-section) and needing to bottle feed on top of it all.
I can only speak for myself but my stomach is perfectly flat after my c-section. I wore my bikini proudly today at the pool. I wasn't able to breastfeed because my preemie son never latched but my milk came in on the 2nd or 3rd day after his birth. I'm still pumping milk for the greedy kid 7 months later.
You little witch,you!!
Meghuney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:59 PM   #54
 
M2LR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 15,544
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphro-Deeziac
i had three c sections and my milk came in heavy for all three right away. I looked like pam anderson.
With my first section, my milk came in on the day that I went home, so it took three days.

With my second section, it was in on the second day.
__________________
M2LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 10:11 PM   #55
 
RedCatWaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 31,612
Default

Quote:
With a C-section - there is a set day and time. Plus, the bonus is the plastic surgery. Recover from childbirth and plastic surgery all at once. So, when you do make your appearance - you look SMASHING!!!!
That's not true. The uterus stays larger for much longer after a c-sec versus after a vaginal birth, so a tummy tuck can't be done til that involution has taken place. I think celebs have c-secs because they've been sold the same bill of goods that the rest of the American women have been sold...that c-sec is supposed to be a "better" alternative. It's a BIG lie...and the only ones benefitting from the dramatic and shameful rise in c-secs are the OB's who are then at lower risk of being sued. They get sued LESS often for c-secs...bottom line.
RedCatWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 10:18 PM   #56
 
Delma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,243
Send a message via AIM to Delma Send a message via Yahoo to Delma
Default

Am I really weird or something cause I had milk in the hospital and before
__________________

Delma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 10:19 PM   #57
 
Starmie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 4,005
Default

I had a section with my second as I had placenta praevia (like picklesgirl, but mine didn't resolve). Having experienced both I can't say as I have a preference, both had their pros and cons. My milk supply was the same with both and my stomach is the same as it's always been.
Starmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 10:24 PM   #58
 
*Ani*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,696
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delma
Am I really weird or something cause I had milk in the hospital and before
i had that too
__________________
On Rush Limbaugh: Rather than engage in the admittedly difficult task of justifying GOP policies rationally, the key to Limbaugh’s success is attracting an audience that actually yearns to be lied to.
*Ani* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 10:48 PM   #59
 
RedCatWaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 31,612
Default

The shamefully high c-sec rate in the USA is a huge pet peeve of mine. We've gone from a 5% national rate 30 years ago, to a staggering 30+% national rate currently...with NO appreciable improvement in maternal or infant outcomes. And, it's going to rise even more.

Why all the c-secs? The biggest reason is probably the increase in medicalization in the OB industry. The industry has adopted a labor management protocol that leads to surgery. Every intervention that is done to a laboring woman leads to more interventions. A typical example: Continuous electronic fetal monitoring leads to moms being confined to bed which leads to increased perception of pain which leads to increased use of epidurals which leads to epidural complications such as stalled labor which leads to drugs to increase contractions which leads to fetal distress, which leads to c-sec.

The second biggest reason for the increased c-sec rate is probably the medico-legal climate. Docs are being sued more (mostly their own fault, but that's a whole 'nother topic) so they practice more defensive medicine...they get sued less for c-secs than they do for vaginal deliveries, because when they do surgery, it looks like they did everything they could, even if it was unnecessary.

The third biggest reason for high c-sec rates is probably women's apathy. Women don't seem to care anymore about having c-secs. It's become so commonplace that women think that they have to go through surgery to have a baby. I can't blame women...the atrocities that are committed against laboring women in American hospitals is staggering. The fear of genital mutilation alone is enough to send most women happily to the operating room. What many women don't know is that normal childbirth usually doesn't cause genital injury when attended by midwives or doctors knowledgeable in avoiding tears. Many women think that episiotomy is necessary and that they'd rather have a belly cut than an episiotomy. Can't blame them...I've hardly met a woman who delivered in hospital who avoided an episiotomy.

I could go on for hours on this subject. I've had 3 horrible c-secs myself, and have lived all those interventions-gone-wrong myself and then had a wonderful VBAC homebirth with my 4th baby. I wish I had tried homebirth with my first baby...would have saved me a world of pain and heartache.
RedCatWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 10:49 PM   #60
 
RedCatWaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 31,612
Default

dp
RedCatWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Trending Topics[-]hide

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com