.025% retin-A, how long for results?

Months and months, right? I am trying to fade melasma and some hereditary age spots on my face. I've been using retin-A (derm prescribed) every night, sometimes every other night, for the last 3 months and not much has changed.

For the record, I don't want to use hydroquinone. I've used it in the past and it doesn't help. It actually made things worse, which I come to find does happen to a small percentage of people. I just started using a product with Kojic acid in the daytime and the retin-A at night. But this is such slow going.

Anyone have good experience with retin-A and fading pigmentation?
Mod CG since January 2010
2b/c in winter; mostly 3a in summer; working toward 3a all year-round
Fine - Dense - Fairly porous
Cowash & Leave in: Co-wash with TJs Tea-Tree Tingle cond. , Suave Naturals, TJ Nourish
Styling products in rotation: AG Re:coil, K-Y liquid; FSG, epsom salt & lavender curl-revitalizer;
Months and months, right? I am trying to fade melasma and some hereditary age spots on my face. I've been using retin-A (derm prescribed) every night, sometimes every other night, for the last 3 months and not much has changed.

For the record, I don't want to use hydroquinone. I've used it in the past and it doesn't help. It actually made things worse, which I come to find does happen to a small percentage of people. I just started using a product with Kojic acid in the daytime and the retin-A at night. But this is such slow going.

Anyone have good experience with retin-A and fading pigmentation?
Originally Posted by BigHairLala
I had the same experience with hydroquinone. I thought I was allergic - so I stopped using it immediately.

I use retin A about twice a week. It helps me skin look tigher and fresher but it doesn't do a whole lot to the dark spots.

If you can afford it, ask your derm to use some sort of mild "peel" solution on the dark spots. That worked quite well for me on most of them (it was my derm's suggestion and I trust him so I did it). It was a one-shot remedy though, which was good because insurance won't cover it. He used a q-tip and painted the spots with this solution and waited for about 5 minutes (it stung a bit) and then neutralized it. After a few days they peeled off revealing lighter (not spotted) skin. Good luck!

ETA I'm not sure this works on melasma. I only used it on dark spots.
2/c and some 3A. Modified CG.
Protein sensitive
Highly porous. Color over grey.
Best 1st day method: Super Soaker
Conditioners: Curl Junkie Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner,
Deep condish: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab
Stylers: Mix Curls in a Bottle into everything for shine. Terrible pj
Sometimes try roller sets - classic glamor but I prefer my curls.
Every day is a gift
Retin-A doesn't work for melasma; not on its own anyway. I have been using Retin-A for over 20 years, and I do have nice results from it, but for fine lines, not skin lightening. Retin-A DOES help Hydraquinone 4% work better though. I use that for my melasma. I realize that not everyone can use H4%, and those people probably need to use things like kojic acid, or light chemical peels.

Of course, people with melasma really have to block sun exposure as completely as possible, or the melasma will come right back. It will come back after stopping any sort of treatment also. Seems like once you have melasma, it's yours forever.

Trending Topics