Mineral makeup for older skin?

I've never tried mineral makeup. Has anyone tried it and how do you like it for our more mature skin? Is it really all that great? Is it drying? I want to know if its a gimmick or really something different.

Thanks for responses!
2/c and some 3A.
Protein sensitive but can use occasionally
Highly porous. Color over grey.
Best 1st day method: Super Soaker
Stylers: Mix Curls in a Bottle into everything for shine. Terrible pj
Sometimes try roller sets - classic glamor but I prefer my curls.
Every day is a gift
I use Jane Iredale pressed mineral makeup, but I only use it in areas where I have applied some concealer - more to set the concealer. I prefer a less-is-more approach to makeup and hate to feel as if I have makeup on, so the mineral powders appeal more than liquid foundations.
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

I HATE foundations....just hate they way they my skin feel. I like mineral make-up a lot. My favorite is Christina Cosmetics http://www.christinacosmetics.com/?g...Fcxj2godMAkyzA

because it's not as messy it's a pressed powder with 4 shades. I don't find it drying at all. There are a lot of rave reviews for Meow http://www.meowcosmetics.com/Foundation.htm

around these boards as well.
Hi ,,,I tried the Bare Escentuals.. and it looked really great on.. but about 15 mins after I started to get extremely extremely itchy! I mean my face started to BURN

I then started to research online and there were some reviews from people who had the same reaction. There is/was an ingredient similiar to or actually arsenic!!! Can't remember!

I returned mine asap! I guess I had an allergic reaction.

Btw, I'm 40.

p.s Just looked it up.

Ingredient was: bismuth oxychloride
  • 3c & 3b, Normal Porosity, Very Very Coarse and Protein Sensitive
  • Shampoo: Deva Curl No Poo, Kinky Curly Come Clean
  • Conditioner: Deva Curl One, Castor Oil,
  • Styling: Expiramenting with FSG

"Time to own this poodle!!!"

Last edited by currlyQ4days; 07-12-2010 at 09:30 AM.
I HATE foundations....just hate they way they my skin feel. I like mineral make-up a lot. My favorite is Christina Cosmetics http://www.christinacosmetics.com/?g...Fcxj2godMAkyzA

because it's not as messy it's a pressed powder with 4 shades. I don't find it drying at all. There are a lot of rave reviews for Meow http://www.meowcosmetics.com/Foundation.htm

around these boards as well.
Originally Posted by DEL2C
Del2, That Meow site looks very interesting, may have to check it out. Like I said, I loved the way it looked on.... Just the itch and burn of Bare Escentuals freaked me out!
  • 3c & 3b, Normal Porosity, Very Very Coarse and Protein Sensitive
  • Shampoo: Deva Curl No Poo, Kinky Curly Come Clean
  • Conditioner: Deva Curl One, Castor Oil,
  • Styling: Expiramenting with FSG

"Time to own this poodle!!!"
i am 45 and have tried so many mineral foundations. b.e.,shear cover,...you name it ive tried it. i always thought after having it on for even a short time it made me look older. it settled into fine lines,pores more noticeable..but about 6 months ago i started wearing jane iredale.love it. !!!!it does not settle in the lines,pores look good,no dry spots. i use the tinted foundation with either,the pressed or the loode depending on how much coverage i need that day. it is very expensive but it does last. i have had both for 4 months and still have a ways to go.
"you name it ive tried it. i always thought after having it on for even a short time it made me look older. it settled into fine lines,pores more noticeable.." - pumkin

I thought the same thing, after trying the much-hyped BE, and also Jane Iredale. Of the two, the JI was the WORST for me as it dried my skin out so horribly that it took a whole week for it to recover - ugh! And this coming from someone whose skin is still not all that dry even at 63. It will however act dry if I'm in an arid climate, or if I haven't exfoliated though. Although I love the IDEA of mineral makeup etc. it simply doesn't work for me. I tried all different application techniques, and even had a full application at a BE counter, where the makeup artist raved about how "natural" it looked on me and all. All it did was make me look like I had little to no makeup on, in a bad way, plus it emphasized lines and pores, not a pretty sight on mature skin. Maybe mineral makeup is best for young, poreless, line-less, very oily skins.
For me, I find a good quality liquid foundation to be much better, so I'm sticking with that.
Thanks everyone for the responses. I think I'll stick with liquid foundation or try on some mineral foundation in Sephora. From these responses, I'm not about to rush right out and plunk own $$ for mineral makeup.
2/c and some 3A.
Every day is a gift
Don't write it off too quickly! I HATED mineral makeup until I tried Meow. LOVE THAT STUFF!!! You can get samples from their sight for only a dollar. It's a great cheap way to find the perfect color for you. I actually mix two colors to get a perfect match. They also have three levels of coverage. I have two so I can use what I need depending on whether my Rosacea is acting up. They've got great customer service too!

I know I sound like a commercial for them but Meow really is that great for me. Btw I'm 47 and get complements on my skin all the time. Hee, hee, if they only knew it's all the makeup.
< member since 2006. No idea where 1969 came from.

Last edited by eche428; 07-13-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Well, thanks Eche. I love to try samples! I'll look on the website.
2/c and some 3A.
Every day is a gift
I really like mineral makeup, but it took me a while to get the hang of it. Started with Bare Escentuals and never could get it to look right on me -- it was too glimmery and masklike, and you just had to fuss with it too much. All that swirling and swirling and swirling and brushing and brushing and brushing. Ack! After a few months, I had a very itchy reaction to it and stopped using it. Tried a couple of drugstore brands and had similar issues. Then I tried Meow after reading about it here and haven't strayed since. Love it! You can put on just a little or apply more "layers" if you want more coverage. Goes on very easily, it doesn't feel like you're wearing any makeup, and no bad, itchy reactions.

The most important things for me in using the Meow minerals are making sure my skin is well moisturized beforehand and using a clean, fluffy brush to blend everything and swipe away any excess after applying. If I've done those two things, there's no settling in fine lines and I get a very natural look.

Good luck, curlypearl, I hope you find something you like!
curlypearl, if you are fair, I would recommend going a shade or two darker with Meow than you normally would. With most makeup lines I use the lightest shade, but with Meow the lightest shade samples were way too pale for me.
shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
I use Jane Iredale pressed mineral makeup, but I only use it in areas where I have applied some concealer - more to set the concealer. I prefer a less-is-more approach to makeup and hate to feel as if I have makeup on, so the mineral powders appeal more than liquid foundations.
Originally Posted by 2poodles
Jane Iredale is my fave too. I wear the pressed in spring/summer and the loose powder in fall/winter. I find the pressed gives me less breakthrough oiliness in warmer weather. I love this line! Although expensive, it's great quality and lasts a long time for me.
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Salon Care Honey Almond, Devacurl OC, Acure Argan Stem Cell+Argan Oil, Mill Creek Botanicals Keratin Repair
Leave-ins: BWC, KCKT, cno overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG
DT: Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
Thank you everyone for the tips! I've been lazy and haven't gone ahead with this yet.

B-Wavy I will take care to moisturize because dryness is my main concern about mineral makeup. Alacurl, I will definitely try a darker shade than I do ordinarily.

Spiralli if you would give me the hair in your avatar I would be so gorgeous I'd never need makeup again LOL.
2/c and some 3A.
Every day is a gift

Last edited by curlypearl; 07-15-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Don't write it off too quickly! I HATED mineral makeup until I tried Meow. LOVE THAT STUFF!!! You can get samples from their sight for only a dollar. It's a great cheap way to find the perfect color for you. I actually mix two colors to get a perfect match. They also have three levels of coverage. I have two so I can use what I need depending on whether my Rosacea is acting up. They've got great customer service too!

I know I sound like a commercial for them but Meow really is that great for me. Btw I'm 47 and get complements on my skin all the time. Hee, hee, if they only knew it's all the makeup.
Originally Posted by eche428
I second this post, 100%! We're even the same age.

Meow cosmetics are very pure and go on so nicely. Very velvety and creamy feel, not at all drying. Here is a link to their ingredient page:
http://www.meowcosmetics.com/productinformation.htm

I had used BE for a few years prior and thought it was adequate until I discovered Meow. Samples are the way to go and you should have no trouble finding your match. They have a forum where you can ask for guidance and they have very responsive customer service.

I use the Pampered Puss in Siamese. For my perfect color match I mix the Frisky and Naughty together.

I have been using Aromaleigh mineral make up (aromaleigh.com) for several years. Unlike BE you don't end up looking like a crocodile

don't breed or buy while homeless animals die
I like Clinique Super balance Mineral make-up. I have tried BE and Pure Minerals and I like Clinique the best.
I have supersensitive skin, and I love the non-irritating and glow factor I get from LaurEss Minimalist (made for sensitive skin). I also love that she has the "fawn" color palette for olive tones. And that I can get custom mixing.

No Bismuth or major irritants. Minimalist is MINIMAL in ingredients, but works. But it is more drying than the Ethereal.

I can't use sunscreen due to sensitivities --I've tried dozens, including those 3 different dermatologists I went to over the last 15 years offered--no dice. Itch, rash, ick. So, having mineral makeup's bit of SPF is nice (due to it's occlusive quality).

I started using the Fresh Fawn, but it was a bit too darkish for me. I had custom made with a mix of Fresh Fawn, Pure Fawn, and Pure Gold which was very good. I then wanted to try the Ethereal line (less for sensitive skin, more for dry mature skin) and it's lovely. I got another custom blend and it's PERFECT. She has an amazing array of colors and samples so you can figure out your perfect match.

I am fifty-years old and have acne pit scars and hyperpigmentation areas from years and years of eczema and dermatitis flares, and I love how these give me sufficient coverage for my skin issues without making the eczema re-inflame. I also have honking huge pores. And, yeah, I've got some crepey skin from just being NOT YOUNG. heh.

I'm a Latina with medium/med-dark olive skin, and it's always been a pain since the 70's finding a foundation that didn't irritate or break me out and matched my olive tone. So, I'm very happy with my LaurEss. I've ordered 4 times from her. She has the best kabuki brush (I like it better than my MAC kabuki). In MAC, I'm about an NC42 (depending on how much sun I get or dont, I can range up to NC44, maybe down to NC40). I used to use ALMAY Honey and ALMAY Tan in the Skin Stays Clean foundation, when they used to make that one.

If you have olive toned skin, very much worth checking out the FAWN LaurEss palette.

If you have sensitive skin, try Minimalist.

If you have dry mature skin, try Ethereal.

She had a lot of shades from light-light to dark-dark, and you can custom blend for a bit extra charge. BUT...you can order inexpensive samples of as many shades as you want to experiment. Her blushes are quite pretty. I can't wear eye make-up (except the lightest bit of eyeshadow as liner once in a while), or I'd try some of those, too.

Her powder brush (not the kabuki, which is tops) is exceptional, but has been out of stock as she's been recreating it. I can't wait for the new one to try, as I thought the previous one was perfect. I emailed even to ask how to get one, I love it so, and want a BACK-UP brush. I own THREE of the kabukis. I use one for foundation, and one to blend my NARS and MAC blushes when I choose to use liquid foundation and regular powder, and one for back-up.

Here are two pics of me using the LaurEss last weekend (the Ethereal Lauress foundation in custom blend 50% Pure Fawn, 25% Fresh FAwn, 25% Pure Gold, with the Tan Finishing Touch powder, and I have one of the LaurEss blushes on, too). I use the foundation very lightly--as I don't even want to risk looking mask-like or irritate anything on my epidermis, ya know? So, I could get even BETTER coverage of facial flaws if I were to layer more. The tan powder is a bit too warm on me, but the lighter color is too light, so I may have to custom mix to get out the over-warmth.

I'm using all Re:coil on my hair, btw:
Attached Thumbnails
Mineral makeup for older skin?-mircar-july-18-ag-hair.jpg   Mineral makeup for older skin?-mircurls-ag-7-18-10-car.jpg  
3a3b dry, dyed --newly "banged"
Natural since 11/25/09 (Miami)

Shine & Spring w/ Sweet Curls Elixirs!
Curl Junkie Conditions!
Re:coil ROCKS!

~CJ Protein Tx
; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
~S&C; SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
Dumping clumps for VOLUME!
http://public.fotki.com/MirCurls/

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Last edited by MirCurls; 07-25-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Clinique has a redness relief powder that is very fine and nice that I use when I work out (cause the heat from sweating can make my upper cheek eczema flare up a tiny bit) and that I use under powders when I need to disguise and treat a bit of dermatitis. It's terrific. Very finely milled and slightly therapeutic and slighty camouflaging due to its yellowish tone.

Worth it for ladies with "red spots" like rosacea or eczema.
3a3b dry, dyed --newly "banged"
Natural since 11/25/09 (Miami)

Shine & Spring w/ Sweet Curls Elixirs!
Curl Junkie Conditions!
Re:coil ROCKS!

~CJ Protein Tx
; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
~S&C; SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
Dumping clumps for VOLUME!
http://public.fotki.com/MirCurls/

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Trending Topics