Do you look your age? If you do, at what age did you notice you no longer look ...

Mir--thanks for sharing! I thought I was the only one who couldn't wear eye make-up anymore due to allergies. I wouldn't end up in the ER if I put on eye make-up but my eyes would swell if I wore eye liner or mascara and even days later I would feel the negative effects. I am trying to adjust to not wearing eye make up any longer and even kind of grieving the loss as I look plainer now but maybe if I play up my cheeks and wear nice lipstick as you suggested and even get highlights for my hair it will help. Nobody has really noticed since I stopped wearing eye make-up so maybe it didn't make as much of a difference as I though it did. On a positive note, it is a relief to not have to put on and take it off the make-up each day.
Mir--thanks for sharing! I thought I was the only one who couldn't wear eye make-up anymore due to allergies. I wouldn't end up in the ER if I put on eye make-up but my eyes would swell if I wore eye liner or mascara and even days later I would feel the negative effects. I am trying to adjust to not wearing eye make up any longer and even kind of grieving the loss as I look plainer now but maybe if I play up my cheeks and wear nice lipstick as you suggested and even get highlights for my hair it will help. Nobody has really noticed since I stopped wearing eye make-up so maybe it didn't make as much of a difference as I though it did. On a positive note, it is a relief to not have to put on and take it off the make-up each day.
Originally Posted by Curlswirl
I miss it, cause I was used to using black eyeliner and mascara, which helped make my droopy eyes look more alive and open. And I had this eczema on my eyelids that was really awful for a couple years (lizard skin). That's improved. I still get allergic reactions from my reading glasses (so I read mostly on the computer now and will get an iPad round Christmas). I get red, scaly patches all over where the glasses touch or are near my skin. I've spent hundreds trying different glasses (from RX to cheapos), no dice. I had Lasik done so I could heal from the really bad reaction on my upper cheeks from my regular Rx glasses for bad near-sightedness. It's nice to have more normal cheeks (with some hyperpigmentation from years of scaly reactions), but I still miss having "done up" eyes.....

And today I'm recovering from using sunglasses the last two days when I went out in the crazy August afternoons. Big icky red blotchies on bridge of nose and upper cheeks. Just from sunglasses on for maybe 50 minutes each day (just when outside or driving). Pain in ye buttocks.
3a3b dry, dyed --newly "banged"
Natural since 11/25/09 (Miami)

Shine & Spring w/ Sweet Curls Elixirs!
Curl Junkie Conditions!
Re:coil ROCKS!

~CJ Protein Tx
; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
~S&C; SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
Dumping clumps for VOLUME!
http://public.fotki.com/MirCurls/

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Last edited by MirCurls; 08-28-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Hey MirCurls - did your insurance pay for your lasik since you got allergic dermatitis from your eyeglasses? Just curious.
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

I am 45, and, look about ten years younger. I sound young, too. LOL!
Originally Posted by teachermrw
Same here with the exception that I'm 49. Folks that have known me practically all my life still on occasion ask have I finished college yet (yeah, undergrad 27 years ago).

But personally, I think I look my age. I've never been one that wanted to be thought of as younger than I am (never wanted to be thought of as older either). I've always wanted to be thought of as my age.

I think looks and folks perception of how old we are a combination of gentics and how we act. My soon to be 82 year old mother gets mistaken for a much younger woman all the time, too. But the maternal side of my family is like that. They don't show a lot of visible signs of aging, such as grey hair, until late in life. Plus, they've always kept going and taking part in life until they just can't go anymore.
Last Relaxer: 09/19/08
BC: 01/30/09
Misc: 1st time going natural was '94-'98; 2nd time - '99-2003; This time I will not go back to relaxers.
http://public.fotki.com/QVCDiva/

Last edited by QVCDiva; 08-29-2010 at 10:20 AM.
I looked younger than my years for...well...years,but as soon as I hit 46-it was all over.
Now I am 48 and I think I pretty much look 48.
What happened?
Menopause.
Well-almost meanopause-I have 2 periods a year and the hormone thing is killing my skin,my metabolism and my hair.
It sucks.
"what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
-Mother Theresa
It makes me feel better reading all the replies-more normal-thanks

Oh-and I have crazy allergy/eczema issues as well.
It got really bad two yrs ago,but seems to have leveled off now.
At least I can wear eye make-up.
I have to have mascara and some liner because my lashes are invisible
"what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
-Mother Theresa
Mar I think it is caused by hormonal changes. Sometimes I wonder if I could reverse these effects by talking bioidentical hormones. I have read that human growth hormones reverse the aging process. I just wonder how safe these treatments are. I have read that allergies can worsen during perimenopause but can improve when the hormones readjust.
Hey MirCurls - did your insurance pay for your lasik since you got allergic dermatitis from your eyeglasses? Just curious.
Originally Posted by 2poodles
No, I paid out of pocket. I didn't even consider going through insurance (at that time, HMO, now I have PPO). I figured they'd say "Use contacts" and I didn't wanna deal with contacts.

I did research the docs and even at the appointment, I almost back out (I'm a chicken**** when it comes to my eyes). But I'm glad I stuck it out. So much easier...even if my acuity is less than with glasses and it takes some healing and getting used to having each eye corrected for something different (one for long distance, one for computer distance). So, I still need reading glasses for close work (which I minimize). I use larger font on the computer which is easy enough.

Curl Junkie Conditions!

~CJ Protein Tx

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
I wanted to add to this - I think that what people SEE isn't always all that connected to how we LOOK, if that makes sense.

Because -
I have four daughters; two are older teens and two are young (we had a big gap).

If I go out with my teens, people think I'm about the age I am.

If I go out with just my littles, people think I am younger.

If I go out with all the kids, people often think I am older AND think my teens are in their early 20's because they think they are seeing three generations.

So all the time I hear "you don't look old enough to have an 18yo" if the person has only seen me with my younger daughters, but...

Nobody ever says "you don't look old enough to have an 18yo" when I go to pick up a high schooler at her school.

Myself, I think I look my age, and I think it's a pretty good age. But what others see is very dependent on context.
2c / C / iii (FIA)
Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
When I am with parents of kids the ages of one or both of my older kids (16 and almost 13), I feel that I fit in, that I don't look older or younger than any of the other parents. When I am around moms of kids my youngest child's age (9), I feel ancient. I have no idea how context (which kid(s) I'm with) changes the way I look to others.

The worst comments I've ever received about my age have been when I didn't have any of my kids with me, so I guess I should never leave home without at least one of them.

Last edited by Verity; 09-01-2010 at 08:26 AM.
Clothing, hairstyle and other "changeable" factors play into this as well. My hubby, a few years ago, sort of made himself over (set off by me going gaga over him trying on a pair of tight jeans after he lost 30 lbs). He's addicted to my "gaga eyed look" now. He went and got blonde highlights (after me cooing over pictures of him as a boy with bright, light Scandinavian hair and his pink cheeks, so cute).

Between more trendy clothes, lost pounds, and longer, highlighted hair, he looked 15 years younger. People who met him (colleagues and old pals) would be flabbergasted. But he didn't have plastic surgery/botox or used any retinoids or anything. He simply dressed and did his hair in a younger, more flattering fashion. I can tell you I started jumping his bones like three times a day. Snarf.

So, people aren't always cueing on wrinkles (he's fair, so he has them) or sag, but also the matter of presentation.

Which reminds me I have to cover my grays soon.

Curl Junkie Conditions!

~CJ Protein Tx

I turn 50 next year. 40s and early 40s were cake. I think it was around 45 that I started to notice the difference. I try to dress age appropriate and I have never been much of a makeup person and I am still not. I love my curly hair but if I were more talented with hair tools I would blow it out more because I find that I look younger when it is. I still do not have any gray hair (on my head-other areas )

Like others said I aim for looking good at my age-not younger.
Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
I looked younger than my years for...well...years,but as soon as I hit 46-it was all over.
Now I am 48 and I think I pretty much look 48.
What happened?
Menopause.
Well-almost meanopause-I have 2 periods a year and the hormone thing is killing my skin,my metabolism and my hair.
It sucks.
Originally Posted by Mar
Uh-oh.

I think I am looking my age, 48, and my menstrual cycles are still completely normal.
It's so subjective, ya know, who thins what X age looks like.

I remember being 28, and I was doing an internship for my degree, and the gal training me and I were having a casual chat during a coffee break. Somehow, age talk came up. She was surprised I was older than her (by 3 years, as she was 25). I was shocked. I thought she was like 35. She was a fair-skinned gal with auburn hair, and she had those crow-feet thingies in the corners of her eyes (though her skin was pretty otherwise).

I always figured crow's feet was like for someone older, not twenties.

YET...someone had told her she looked younger than 25.

Very subjective.

Curl Junkie Conditions!

~CJ Protein Tx

It's so subjective, ya know, who thins what X age looks like.

I remember being 28, and I was doing an internship for my degree, and the gal training me and I were having a casual chat during a coffee break. Somehow, age talk came up. She was surprised I was older than her (by 3 years, as she was 25). I was shocked. I thought she was like 35. She was a fair-skinned gal with auburn hair, and she had those crow-feet thingies in the corners of her eyes (though her skin was pretty otherwise).

I always figured crow's feet was like for someone older, not twenties.

YET...someone had told her she looked younger than 25.

Very subjective.
Originally Posted by MirCurls
That is a big downside of pale skin. It can show age quite quickly since it's more sun sensitive.
Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
hmmm. at 60, just the last couple years my face has aged a lot--discolored areas, neck sags, i still am out in the sun all the time hiking and swimming and xc skiing in the winter. my hair is age inappropriate as are my clothes--hike chic i guess or hippie dresses. no tailored clothes for me. i wear no makeup whatsoever so what we see is what we get. i am 30 lbs overweight about, have genetically chunky upper arms that flap in the wind. cellulite abounds! but i can hike from 9am till 5pm without many problems (or much speed , swim 1/2 mile a day, play music till 4am, laugh a lot. so life is pretty good for me. enjoy it while you can!
Susan suburban NY
3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
CG since 11/11/04
http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
PW: banjo
HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
IMO, I've never looked my real age until now (56). When I was a teen, I looked like I was in my twenties -- in my 30s and 40s and some of my 50s, many people told me I looked 10 or even 15 years younger than my real age.

Although people still say, "You don't look it," if we're discussing age and my age comes up, they sure don't say 10 or 15 years younger any more! And if they did, I would know they were lying!

I try to look good, not young -- take care of my skin, etc. -- I keep my hair short because it's more flattering to my small features but it's a youthful pixie cut -- (think Judi Dench) rather than old lady short hair.

I don't mind growing/looking older as long as I feel good. My only regret is all the tanning and sun damage I did when I was young and ignorant. The paws definitely give me away.
"Tell me, are you incapable of restraining yourself, or do you take pride in being an insufferable know-it-all?"

"Honey Badger don't care!"
hmmm. at 60, just the last couple years my face has aged a lot--discolored areas, neck sags, i still am out in the sun all the time hiking and swimming and xc skiing in the winter. my hair is age inappropriate as are my clothes--hike chic i guess or hippie dresses. no tailored clothes for me. i wear no makeup whatsoever so what we see is what we get. i am 30 lbs overweight about, have genetically chunky upper arms that flap in the wind. cellulite abounds! but i can hike from 9am till 5pm without many problems (or much speed , swim 1/2 mile a day, play music till 4am, laugh a lot. so life is pretty good for me. enjoy it while you can!
Originally Posted by banjocurl
And isn't that what it's all about in the end? Laughing, having fun, being active, and laughing some more!
I'd rather be walking on the beach, breathing in the air, feeling the wind in my hair, recharging the vitamin D, than spending that time in the house exfoliating, scrubbing, lotioning, acid peeling, dying, filling in lines, worrying about wrinkles and gray hair. But that's just me. If those things make people feel better and that's how they want to spend their time, then they should! Me, I'll be at the beach or in the woods or by the lake.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
i know i don't look my age and i turned 50 at the beginning of last month.

two anecdotes - a few weeks ago i went to Starbucks to get my free treat with my birthday card. while they were making up my concoction, the young man young man stocking the cooler next to me asked if my birthday was that day. and i said no it was a few weeks ago. he asked how old i was....

isn't that one of those questions you're never supposed to ask a woman?

i said it was one of THOSE years with a zero in it and the young lady making my drink said "oh, you turned 40?" and i replied "no, 50."

the young man dropped everything in his hands and looked at me in shock. "you're not really 50, are you?" was his next question. when i said yes, he said "i don't mean any disrespect, miss, but my mother is 54 and you look 20 years younger than she is."

this past week i went to an event at the MAC store for a preview of a new collection. when they were checking my name off the list, the young ladies at the door asked me if i had my ID because they were serving alcohol. i laughed and said PLEASE ask my for my ID!

they smiled and said they were asking everyone who looked like they were younger than 30.

i'm still waiting to "look my age".... but y'all know what i do to protect my skin...
My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
I'm in denial about this whole subject.
Originally Posted by ninja dog
Me too! ...luckily, so far I still get comments on how I don't look 45. But, when the time comes, I'll definitely be Cleopatra, Queen of Denial.
Janet ~ Northern NJ
Properties: Dense, Fine, Low Porosity, Low Elasticity
My Picasa Album
What I used in this photo:
Cleansing: Suave Tropical Coconut Condish
Conditioner: CJ Smoothing Condish
Styling: CJCQ

Trending Topics