Do you look your age? If you do, at what age did you notice you no longer look ...

younger than your years? Did it take you some time to adjust? For me, it was when I was 45 and it seemed to have happened overnight that I finally looked my age. Before that I could pass for 5 to ten years younger.

Do you accept the changes, or do you try to look younger?
55 was when I noticed a difference. I didn't look that fresh anymore. Also, my clothes started looking too young for me.

I don't try to look younger. I think women who do that usually look like they are trying to hard. I take care of my skin and my body and I wear age appropriate clothes and make-up. My hair's a whole other story.
I'm in denial about this whole subject.
People are always surprised when I say I'm 57. But I see every sag and wrinkle. My RealAge age is 51 (because I'm overweight and have high blood pressure).
My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
Quote:
Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
55 was when I noticed a difference. I didn't look that fresh anymore. Also, my clothes started looking too young for me.

I don't try to look younger. I think women who do that usually look like they are trying to hard. I take care of my skin and my body and I wear age appropriate clothes and make-up. My hair's a whole other story.
Originally Posted by Lotsawaves
This is pretty much the same for me.
I am 45, and, look about ten years younger. I sound young, too. LOL!
Your hair is your most important accessory.

I think I started looking 'older' a couple years ago (around 51). But that's just what I see in the mirror. Some people still think I'm younger than I am simply because I act younger. I have guys in their 20's-30's ask me out, not because I look anywhere near their age but because I have a young, fun attitude.
I don't fuss much about how old I look. I still wear low rise jeans and bikinis. I wear what looks good and what feels good. I dress for me. I put makeup on for me. And I try to look the best I can.
And when it comes right down to it, age is all in the eye of the beholder. No one knows what 20 looks like or what 50 looks like.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Feb 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
And when it comes right down to it, age is all in the eye of the beholder. No one knows what 20 looks like or what 50 looks like.
Originally Posted by jeepcurlygurl
This. I look 47 because I am 47 and this is what 47 looks like! Everything else is someone else's preconceived notion.
Originally Posted by jeepcurlygurl
This. I look 47 because I am 47 and this is what 47 looks like! Everything else is someone else's preconceived notion.
Originally Posted by Poochie
Yes to this.

I think I look my age, others often say "younger" but I do not think so. But I don't want to look Young, I want to look GOOD!

When I was younger I always thought of the 40s as the "pretty age" because I saw so many women who looked like they were in their 40s and were so good-looking. So I guess I think of this as a good-looking age but also I suppose it means I do think of the 40s as looking a certain way.

When my arm skin gets saggy is when I will feel old I think.
2c / C / iii (FIA)
Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!

Last edited by Robin-in-FL; 08-21-2010 at 06:35 PM.
Forty-five, absolutely. That's when the wheels seemed to come off and I started looking my age. I'd probably look even older if I didn't color my hair.
I'm 61 and I'm told I look younger. I don't know - hard to determine because I really don't know what 61 looks like. I have an aunt who is 92. She is still active and looks at least 20 years younger than she is. Part of the reason, I think, is that she doesn't move like an old lady. I hope I inherited some good genes. I just try to look as good as I can with what I have to work with.
Laura

Fine, 3A, but a lot of it.

http://public.fotki.com/latetocurls/

PW: Curly
I think it happens in the later 40's for most women. I hear women turning 40 who say that 40 isn't so bad, that they are mistaken for younger all the time, that they look very much the same as the did for all of their adult life...and it's true, they do look good, they do look young, they do look very much like their 30 year old selves.

I don't hear those same statements from women turning 50.

I'm 48, and I'm feeling like I'm hitting the wall this year. I wake up looking pretty old, and it takes a LOT of work to make myself presentable. Some days I'm more successful at my preparations than others. Lately, I've been striving to look good, rather than young, which seems to take a lot of pressure off me.
Looking back at photos, around 45 is also when I gave into the "you don't have to have short hair just because you're over 40" line. Long hair drags my rectangular face down and makes me look tired. It has never been all that flattering on me (my mom was right!), and is even less so now that I'm no longer in my 20s or 30s.
I'm 48 and I think it was last year when I noticed that from a certain angle my neck looks older. I don't think there's a whole lot to be done for my neck. I don't need to lose weight -there's no double chin or anything, but there's a loss of elasticity or something. Ah well, life goes on - fortunately!
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

Same here! I looked at a pic of myself at a Christmas party, and oh, the neck! I hadn't really noticed it before! I sure do now though. Every time I look in the mirror. UGH!
Cowash: Suave Aloe and Water Lily
Conditioner and Leave-in: GFTN
LA Looks Sport Gel
Coconut oil Or Olive oil at night
Mid to late 40s is also when many actresses on TV seem to be doing fillers, botox, lip plumping, brow lifts and some might even be getting mini-facelifts. Something must be happening at this age. I am glad I am not in show biz!

I think some actresses in their early 50s start to do cheek implants...so much pressure on them with close-ups and HD and few available roles for them in youth obsessed Hollywood.
40's and 50s--the change in hormones is not beneficial to skin/hair. Hair starts thinning (on many of us). Skin loses elasticity and moisture. Creases from sleeping take longer to fade (that was weird when I first noticed that happening). Creases between eyebrows deepens (I remember when the shadow of that crease started around 37, deepened a bit in forties, and is clearly there now that I'm 50). Those furrows between nose and mouth start showing up and getting deeper. Cheeks sliding south. Neck loosening.

I'm fat--very fat--so I think that puffs out the wrinkles a bit.

I am constantly told I don't look at all 50, sometimes with a "No way. You're joking right?" I guess I see all the changes and see my age, but others must be seeing people MORE wrinkled and saggy in the face and think I look younger. Whatever. I'm the one who sees me naked and sees me without makeup, and I know that time is cruel.

As far as stars...seems the ones who keep the work minimal look better. I sometimes appreciate watching programs from other countries--even England--where actresses can show their flaws with more ease, it seems, than here. I really hate when they start immobilizing their faces. So annoying to watch an actress who looked just fine suddenly not be able to frown and to have weirdly plump cheeks and upper lips. It's freakish to me.

And now I see girls in the 20s in the media botoxing. In their 20's. Women without expressions will become the norm, I guess. Faces frozen into an unnatural youthfulness, totally throwing moderation to the winds.

I'd rather see a wrinkled Helen Mirren doing her stuff than a frozen Meg Ryan or immobilized Nicole Kidman. The latter two were such pretty ladies and now it hurts me to see their puffy lips and frozen brows and oddly plumped crease-areas. And they're not even the freakish variety, just the, "Why? You didn't really need it!" types who make me feel a bit sad that they couldn't just be allowed or enjoy the beauty they were given by nature.

We're a little sick when it comes to the proliferation of cosmetic procedures...
3a3b dry, dyed --newly "banged"
Natural since 11/25/09 (Miami)

Shine & Spring w/ Sweet Curls Elixirs!
Curl Junkie Conditions!
Re:coil ROCKS!

~CJ Protein Tx
; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
~S&C; SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
Dumping clumps for VOLUME!
http://public.fotki.com/MirCurls/

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Last edited by MirCurls; 08-26-2010 at 02:51 PM.
I just turned 41 and I've never looked my age. People always think I'm at least ten years younger, which is fine by me.
Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
BC'd: 9/18/09
Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

http://confessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com/
Redcatwaves---what does your goal of "presentable" look like? Mine is that my hair is neat and suitable for me, I don't look exhausted and my make-up is light and flattering. Lately, I have not been able to wear eye make-up at all due to dry eyes (that can happen in ones 40s and later years as well--darn hormones) which gets in the way of my trying to look decent. Oh well...
Redcatwaves---what does your goal of "presentable" look like? Mine is that my hair is neat and suitable for me, I don't look exhausted and my make-up is light and flattering. Lately, I have not been able to wear eye make-up at all due to dry eyes (that can happen in ones 40s and later years as well--darn hormones) which gets in the way of my trying to look decent. Oh well...
Originally Posted by Curlswirl

I haven't been able to wear eye makeup for over 10 years (allergies, my eyes puff up and I can end up in the ER). I can't use eye creams or any of those anti-aging eye serums. Bummer. I will, on occasion, only since this year, use some MAC eye shadow as upper lid eyeliner (just on the outside edge of eye so it looks less droopy) if I feel it's a special occasion. Otherwise, the only eye makeup I'll risk is eyebrow pencil to fill in thin patches. I do love me my lipstick and lip glosses. Own dozens and dozens of the stuff, and not the drugstore cheapies, but MAC and NARS and Stila and Bare Escentuals and such. And I splurge on blushes, which do make you look more refreshed. Since I can't do anything to play up my eyes, I work on lips and cheeks.
3a3b dry, dyed --newly "banged"
Natural since 11/25/09 (Miami)

Shine & Spring w/ Sweet Curls Elixirs!
Curl Junkie Conditions!
Re:coil ROCKS!

~CJ Protein Tx
; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
~S&C; SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
Dumping clumps for VOLUME!
http://public.fotki.com/MirCurls/

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Trending Topics